| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 104  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ohhh but on a good note, he is doing fabulous with his reading skills! I am a proud mama! I guess not doing much is making him want to learn more lately... he is laying on the couch, on the iPad, doing his ReadingEggs apps :)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

She's 1 year old! Yay!

I think tiny wu is fabulous but our family doctor this morning was concerned about her weight gain and growth. I would believe the scale (which had her at 8 kg even, or 17.6 pounds) but think he messed up measuring her length since she is a total wiggle worm and kind of freaked out about the "strange man" getting close to her. He got 71 cm, while Mr. Scandi and I have been getting 73-75 cm (or 28.5-29.5 inches) at home. So now he says she is "stagnating." I have seen all her pants and shirts get ridiculously too short in the last 2 months so I don't think he is right, but every time the health professionals say something like that, I get kind of freaked out. Especially today, since he said she was healthy otherwise, but we should contact our home health visitor and see what we can do about weight gain. You may recall that I basically detest our health visitor, who informed me that it's important to eat meat, because otherwise your jaw muscles won't develop enough to talk properly. Arg. It's so frustrating with the mixed messages--yes, she's healthy, but no, she's too small, but no, I can't give you any advice about that....

Also, he said that tiny wu is only about the 2nd percentile, but according to the WHO charts from the health visitor, 8 kg at 1 year is 15th percentile. So, more mixed messages. I want to just trust my mommy-intuition, which is that she's fine, but I don't want to mess her up, either!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

eee tinywu and Sierra are twinsies! Like, exactly the same size - except Sierra's 4 months older and maybe a pound heavier. My dr doesn't seem thrilled about it but is wonderfully calm about it. I mean, we're doing all we can - she eats solids all day, breastfeeds a lot in the mornings and on the weekends and has the occasional bottle of soy formula as well as different milks. She loves to eat! but she's small. Naturally the fact that she RUNS and does laps around our apartment and climbs everything means she's burning off that food I guess. I'm sorry you have to deal with a health visitor and obviously I'm not an expert but she sounds like a delight in a small package.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugh the tiny baby thing is hard! i feel ya there.
BP has her 6 month appt in a couple weeks and i am anxious to see what the dr says about her weight gain. i stood her up on the scale the other day and she only weighs 12 lbs which is not much more than her last appt. however like tiny wu i feel she grew vertically lately because her double chins and chunky belly are not as obvious and i have a hard time with the one piece jammies outfits with the feet because she is too tall. if you look at my husband though it all makes sense because is super tall and super skinny. he;s not even on the BMI charts we see at the dr office because hes so tall/skinny. i was also always very skinny until i was in my 20s.
so far the dr has been cool and even though she was in the 1% last visit she said she was following her curve perfectly.

and all the different charts is so confusing. i would totally trust your mama instinct. if she's eating and is bright eyed and healthy skinned and active she may just be petite. just based on relative size i bet BP will be about the same size as tiny wu and sierra by 1 year. my own gut tells me if kids that small had something actually wrong with them they would present in some other manner like being lethargic or not meeting milestones but that is just mama instinct.

i jokingly started something i call the TBC (tiny baby club) with my friend who had two preemie twins though they just had their 2 month appt and are like a pound or two heavier than full term BP was at that age so BP may be the only one in the TBC soon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Aw, scandina, don't fret too much. Tinywu is growing "according to her curve", yeah? If she's always been tiny, then maybe that's just who she is, and she's pretty freaking adorable! You are a very slender person, is MrSV built the same way? It amazes me sometimes still that doctors fail to take genetics into account very much. It may be that I'm just misunderstanding because I'm not a scientist, but surely heredity plays a part yeah?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ScandinaVegan wrote:
it's important to eat meat, because otherwise your jaw muscles won't develop enough to talk properly.

She hasn't met my kids! Beetroot and Raygold talk pretty much nonstop unless they're sleeping.
Also -- what the fizzle?! That is so crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
ScandinaVegan wrote:
it's important to eat meat, because otherwise your jaw muscles won't develop enough to talk properly.

She hasn't met my kids! Beetroot and Raygold talk pretty much nonstop unless they're sleeping.
Also -- what the fizzle?! That is so crazy.

Sam talks while he sleeps! LOL!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:15 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Westiebaby is 41 weeks and 5 days old today... so she's finally officially been living outside my body for as long as she lived inside it!
She is the happiest tiny person I know, she is observant and curious, she is energetic and intense, she has a wide independent streak, but is not beyond a babywearing cuddle from time to time, she loves to eat and read and stand and jump and always be in the midst of things and know what's going on with everyone around her.
I am happier being her Mama than I have ever been in any previous role in my life, and I love her more than I will ever have words to say!

I wanted to put a photo in here, but I think my husband used up all our internet because it's not working properly and I can't upload any. I'll just say I think she's a truly beautiful person and you can imagine the cuteness!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Aww, congratulations oww! I remember the previous pictures and am sure she's just gotten cuter!

Thanks all for the reassuring words. I know from my mom that I was "a shrimpy kid" and didn't get to my full height (of 5'5", thankyouverymuch) until I was 19. tiny wu can just grow at her own pace and devote her energy to all the million billion things she'd rather be doing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We had a fun weekend visiting mrdub's parents this weekend... Lots of car-time, but Will did fine and was very smily and enjoyable all weekend. Until last night. I have him a bath just before bed and as I was zipping up his pajamas, he starting puking... And puking... And puking. Then he was done. I waited a while to put him to bed, but I could tell he was exhausted. 10 minutes after he laid down, crying and more puking. Cleaned up the bed, put him back in the tub, clean pjs... 10 min later, crying and puking. After that, he pretty much was sick every 30-45 minutes. Luckily, my husband let me go to bed around 10:30 and he spent the night in the living room/bathroom with Will. He seemed happy this morning and was chasing the dog when I left for work. I'm hoping that was it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I suppose I can add a happy update too!

Will is recently trying to repeat just about everything we say, picking up words and getting better at pronouncing words he's had for a while (he's still no Freya or Leela!). New favorites of his are "set, go", "wusat?" (What's that), "wuhgo?" (Where'd it go?), "eye shah see" (hi Schatzi!). My favorite word of his right now is basketball, or "bah ket bah." He spots them everywhere and is so proud to point them out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor turned 4 a few weeks ago, and suddenly he is changing a ton. I was telling solipsistnation, I felt like he was a stable release for a long time-- there were changes but you had to be looking for them. And now he has had this BIG leap forward in terms of both attention span and maturity. (Well he's still kinda immature, but I mean, he's doing well for 4.) He has been really into doing Lego sets, and he can follow the instructions through himself with minimal redirection... Building fairly complex large things. The other day he did a 48 piece puzzle like it was no big deal.

His one not super awesome development is that he seems to be getting more bossy and aggressive with his brother. I think to him, M has crossed some sort of line and is no longer a "baby" and needs to get his act together.

M continues to be cute and funny and very different. He wants to talk about the past a lot now. He'll see an object and bring up where we got the thing or where we saw something similar etc. Last week I lit candles in memory of a friend's children and he keeps going over and pointing at where they were and saying "mama light candles? Blow candles?"

Oh, and on that note, he is obsessed with three things: reporting the status of every light he sees (light on! Light off! Other light off!), birthday parties, and the toilet. He does not want to sit on the toilet and weeps terrible weeps if you try to put him on... Yet keeps imploring us to take him to the potty and remove his diaper. It's kinda weird.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

coldandsleepy wrote:
His one not super awesome development is that he seems to be getting more bossy and aggressive with his brother. I think to him, M has crossed some sort of line and is no longer a "baby" and needs to get his act together.

Love this! V has a huge 'writing names on the blackboard when the teacher is out'/rules enforcement streak about her and it's kind of funny/horrible to watch her get annoyed at other kids for not following the rules (esp. when she's no angel)

And it seems like M is amazingly verbal!! V seems to be developing her verbal skills very slowly, so I'm just amazed at how far along some of what I still think of as little ones on the ppk are!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oncewerewesties wrote:
Westiebaby is 41 weeks and 5 days old today... so she's finally officially been living outside my body for as long as she lived inside it!
She is the happiest tiny person I know, she is observant and curious, she is energetic and intense, she has a wide independent streak, but is not beyond a babywearing cuddle from time to time, she loves to eat and read and stand and jump and always be in the midst of things and know what's going on with everyone around her.
I am happier being her Mama than I have ever been in any previous role in my life, and I love her more than I will ever have words to say!

I wanted to put a photo in here, but I think my husband used up all our internet because it's not working properly and I can't upload any. I'll just say I think she's a truly beautiful person and you can imagine the cuteness!

Ahhhh :-) this is so great. Glad you and Westiebaby are doing so well!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It has taken almost 2 1/2 years but Miles can finally say his name! Thank you ear tubes! He wouldn't even make an attempt to say it. I'm so happy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hooray for Miles!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah Miles! SO happy for him! (Man, I adore that kid!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hurray! That is one of the coolest milestones ever!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Yay Miles!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yay Will, Emperor, Magician, Westiebaby and Miles! Awesome news all around!

All of a sudden Sven is super verbal. It's awesome and long-awaited. He's 21 months and I'm really loving the stage he's in. Just like the Magician, he is also obsessed with reporting whether things are on or off, and now repeats everything (uh oh) and is adding words constantly. He is finally saying his name but he can't say the S sound at the beginning of words, so he calls himself "Hen" and asks to put on "hoos and hocks." I thought he was asking for hugs for the longest time and turns out he just wanted socks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So we've added a new word to Eli's growing vocab... "ahhmyyy" (mine)
*shakes head* So all day long, "ahhmyy? mama, ahhmyy!" or "ahhwah, ahhwah!" (I want) This kid won't stop til he gets what he wants lol

Ohh, we are 2 days away from our pedi appt for Sam. I am getting kinda nervous.

MYLES!! YAY!!! *does happy dance* Good job!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Just waiting on urine test results again... I should get a call within 48hrs. If it's just a UTI, we have a 'script. If there is blood and something else (analysis and culture) then we have to go see the pedi again and we will do further testing... Praying it's nothing serious, but I'm kinda worried! Oh and she wants to wait til his actual appt on Nov 21st for all his other symptoms. Right now we focus on the blood in urine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk is 6 months old today. holy crikey!

i had to take her back to the cardiologist the other day and she weighed in at 12.5 lbs and 24.5 inches. she is long and lean very much like daddy!
she still has her big blue eyes and long long eyelashes and it appears she might end up being a strawberry blonde (jealous!)
she rolled over once the other day for the first time. it was more of an accidental flop over but it's still progress.
she is way better at tummy time though she still hates it. she is doing really good at sitting up. as of yesterday she could sit up unsupported for about 15 secs before she fell over but today we put her little toy piano in front of her and i think she was leaning towards it and could sit up for quite awhile!

she is super grabby hands right now and likes to scratch at things so she is really violent with your face. she loves faces but she basically claws at them. NOT FUN.

we've had a really good autumn. we walk about 3.5 miles a day usually with one of the dogs and im starting to lose the weight that ive never been able to lose.

she's going through a very challenging stage of only wanting me. she doesnt go to sleep well to begin with and basically never naps and now if she falls asleep on me and i try to transfer her to my husband all hell breaks loose. my husband will be sitting around watching tv and doing nothing else (ie not on the computer) and is perfectly willing to hold and snuggle her but we like cant make the transfer to him. she wont settle on him. so i am lying there stuck with a baby on top of me and i am not content to sit on the couch doing nothing. i want to be surfingf the interwebs, cleaning, doing laundry, cooking food, etc.
its beyond frustrating. sometimes my husband can stand up and walk around with her but god forbid he tries to sit down in the rocking chair with her. most babies ive heard of like to be rocked. dont try sitting with this one.
she also has a charming new habit of when she is over tired and wakes up hungry or wet of shrieking at the top of her lungs like you are stabbing her.
so yeah things are going well but 6 months is a bit challenging for the above reasons.
right now she's shrieking her head off because my husband is trying to change her diaper.
i guess it's time to give up interwebbing and go to bed now because she will only settle down with me.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My baby is 1! Holy moly! How did that happen?? :O

Elijah weighs 21lbs 2oz (50th) and measures 30.25in (70th)... his head is in the 75th percentile... so all around, he's growing well now.. took forever to start gaining, but once we removed gluten, he just started growing like a weed. Yay! He talks, he walks, he climbs, he screams, he is all over the place. I am so not used to this. His brother just wanted cuddles and to sit with us on the couch at this age. Eli, well, I chase him from the moment he's up til the second he falls asleep at bedtime, 6am to 7pm. I am beat lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:13 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oh wow I can't believe BabyPunk is half a year old already!! Congratulations to you for surviving your first six months and happy half-birthday to BabyPunk! : ) Good job on the sitting, and hang in there with the sleeping, it's rough but somehow you'll all get through it in one piece!

And holy moly is right, happiest of birthday days to Eli! A big one year old boy already!! He sounds a similar temperament to westiebaby, always on the go and getting into stuff, there is no way I could sit down and cuddle her for more than about six seconds!

And I missed it up the top of the page, but happy birthday to tinywu also!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 104  Next