| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Happy birthday Westiebaby! Happy mom-iversary to you too, OWW!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Blood tests CLEAR!

But, that still does not mean anything. Celiacs testing is very unreliable before 3yrs old, and I see he is definitely reacting. So for now we are calling it an intolerance and just going gluten-free, and then when he's 3, we will retest.

As for Sam, the ADHD profile was neg, but again, that's no clear definite answer. We have to do a psych eval now.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Omg, I was wrong. I thought it was both kids' blood test results yesterday. It was just Eli's. I just received a call for Sam's. It's positive and we need a follow-up (Jan 11th @ noon with the pedi)... AHHHH!!!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oi, that's good about Sam. Hopefully, you'll get some answers about Eli at least, too. Whew.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sorry if it wasn't clear... I had to edit, but it was too late, so i "double posted"... Eli is in the clear for now, Sam's ADHD came back positive. We go for follow-up next Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

What kind of blood tests do they do for ADHD? I've never heard of that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It's called the ADHD Profile blood test.

-CBC with diff.
-AST
-ALT
-Total bilirubin
-alkaline phospatase
-direct bili.
-GGT
-Electrolytes
-Calcium/Magnesium
-Phosphates
-TSH
-Creatine Kinase
-Lead
-Anti-transglutaminase IgA-TTG
-Serum Immunoglobin A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:03 am 
Semen Strong

Sending you lots of good thoughts SuH! I hope that Sam can get the support he needs and that you are able to manage Eli's issues by going gluten free. It all sounds pretty trying, especially navigating all these appointments in Canadian winter weather.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It is soooo cold! -40F temps (It was -59F in QC City, about 3hrs from here, 2days ago.... colder than Mars!) and still snowing. And we still have to squeeze in Eli's foot appts eventually, and weekend activities/playgroups.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm glad you got some information and hope it helps you going forward, SUH! I'd also heard that about celiac testing being unreliable for small children. We're actually going to try tiny wu out on eating gluten for the first time this month. My dad, uncle, and cousin are all celiacs, and tiny wu definitely reacted badly when I ate gluten while nursing, so we've been super cautious. On the one hand I am excited, but also worried, because what if there are no symptoms right away, but she's still not digesting it well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh, I totally understand that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 pm 
Chip Strong

Just a note on the celiac testing stuckunderhere (in case you didn't know). For the test to be accurate you have to be eating gluten. So you might want to ask your doctor how long it has to be in the system for before you get him retested. I know how nerve wracking it is! Celiac runs in our family so we held off for quite awhile on giving Ada gluten (14 months I think?). We were going to do the same with Alice but ended up letting her have a bagel yesterday. Our pediatrician said two years old for the test but everyone seems to have different opinions about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

yes I know that. We were on a gluten challenge but I think it wasnt long enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Soo, we're back from our follow-up appointment. It wasn't that bad and I'm happy about that. He is anemic, so we need iron supps and a laxative because he is already super constipated, and higher iron will not help. As far as gluten testing, nothing to report, but there's still no Dx for his right side pain and headaches, with the body rashes. So she wants us to do a food diary and go back to see her when we have some info for her. It could be an intolerance and it's just not showing up. As for the ADHD, we need a psych eval. now. But the thing is, public side, it's a 1yr wait list... private system, we would spend over $1000. Eeek!!! We have no insurance so we can't do that obviously. And we can't really wait a whole year. Ugh!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on what I find with a food diary/elimination diet of some sort.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:56 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry SuH, that sounds so challenging. I hope you get an appointment sooner and get some answers for both Eli and Sam soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that sounds super frustrating SUH. i hope you find some sort of solution soon.

the Punklet is doing really well. i just had to take her to the dr to get weighed because they need to weigh her before her monthly RSV shot and she weighs 14 lbs 6 oz which means she gained like a pound and a half in just under a month! :-O
that was after a month of gaining NO weight so i was pretty happy. she's also grown longer in the past month. i *knew* she was going through a major growth spurt because all she wants to do is nurse for really long times and she's been more tired than usual.

we still have the early intervention people coming to our house. originally they were coming because of the torticollis and now they basically wont leave me alone so i feel for those of you in Europe who have those health visitors coming. she had her six month review and it was the biggest caramel cluster ive ever seen. she doesnt like strangers touching her and poking at her and they wanted to do all these tests to her and she was crying the whole time and they would give her like 4 secs for each test and then rip it away and be like "no she doesnt do that yet"
stuff like picking a toy up and putting it into a container, finding a toy that was hidden, banging an object. all stuff ive seen her do but she wouldnt do it for them because CRAZILY ENOUGH she's not a performing monkey. it was awful. at the end of the over hour long torture session they told me what i already knew. for most stuff she is basically right on target. she tested at 7 months old as her developmental age for most stuff which is "age appropriate" (shes 8 months).
made total sense to me as ive said right from the get go she was developmentally a month behind. i feel she would have been born late if i was allowed to go to term so ive known all this stuff all along.
she has a slight gross motor skills delay because she wont roll from her back to her belly and when she rolls from her belly to her back she is very rigid. the torticollis may have been the culprit behind the delay.
she has however started to sort of moving in a circle on her playmat which of course she wouldnt do for the stupid early intervention people on command :-P

her fine motor skills however are ahead of her age. she has really good hand control and they were all excited about her pincer grip that she already has.

the whole thing was stupid and at the end i told them i didnt want them coming anymore and i wanted to end services. they like wouldnt take no for an answer and im super passive and non assertive so we are taking a month off was our compromise.

other than that she is STILL teething and ONLY HAS ONE TOOTH STILL AAHHHHHHH! i thought i had seen a little bit of the second bottom one awhile ago but i think i hallucinated it. this kid has been teething FOREVER!

she is still a terrible sleeper and now will only sleep in our bed but we've kind of actually worked ourselves into a nap routine during the day which is pretty awesome. usually it is still napping on top of me but occasionally i can transfer her to our bed and she will sleep for a while longer.

oh and she's still super duper cute :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh man, if it makes you feel better, Scarlett seriously didn't roll over until she was like.. 11 months old. She did it one random time around 5 or 6 months and then another random time around 11 months. She never, ever crawled and started walking at 14 months. We were just not concerned about her overall development, but if we had had anyone monitoring it closely for whatever reason, I'm sure they would have been concerned. Now at 18 months she runs around like a normal 18 month old and talks like a 2 year old!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:43 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LP are you receiving any services during the visits? I mean, are they giving any therapy or help for C? I ask that because I wouldn't want to turn down free therapy if there was a possibility of it helping at all (or actually needing it in the future). I say that because in my job I have to fight to get kids services that they need because the city is trying to save money and services are expensive if you go private.

If they are only there to assess and it's bothering you, I would be trying to figure out a way to end it. I'm glad to hear C is doing well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
we still have the early intervention people coming to our house. originally they were coming because of the torticollis and now they basically wont leave me alone so i feel for those of you in Europe who have those health visitors coming.

There is only one full-time health visitor in our area at the moment, so for once, we are being pretty much totally ignored! I got a phone call (but not from the full-time HV) when Vax was just shy of 6 months saying they had a weaning packet for us and that they were ready to do his 4-month assessment. I phoned back and mentioned something when I ran into a health visitor -- they had a drop-in clinic the same day/place I had a "well-woman" physio appointment (and, ladies, she let me pick her brain for nearly an hour, so I have all kinds of info, advice, and tips for pelvic floor related things!! I could start a Pee90X/pelvic floor post here if anyone is interested) -- but haven't heard anything since and he is over 7 months now.

BTW, LP, I'm not sure Vax can do some of those things BP was tested for, either! Like you said, babies are not performing monkeys.

Vax is trying to crawl, but whenever he tries, he kind of adopts a Superman pose and wiggles his arms and legs way high in the air and then looks confused as to why he is not moving along. He can roll back to tront and front to back, but can't sit on his own or anything -- even in high chairs, he kind of slumps to the side, so he is usually just in the bumbo seat or in our arms if I need him to be upright. He can put a spoon or food in his mouth, but has no pincer grip. And he still wiggles his feet when he is excited about things.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Butternut wrote:
LP are you receiving any services during the visits? I mean, are they giving any therapy or help for C?.

yes the original point of this was physical therapy for the torticollis so originally we had an OT coming every week and then she moved to NC and now we have a PT who comes every other week because i changed the frequency.
the new lady doesnt mesh well with us.
the torticollis is pretty much better she just has a very slight head tilt when she's tired.
they've showed me a lot of stretches and different ways to stretch her. and with the whole not rolling over thing they show me different ways to encourage her and things to do and they try and basically move her body in ways that gets her moving in that direction. so even though im not worried about her development ive continued the service basically for the reason you mention. it's free (whatever my insurance doesnt pay for the state of MA pays for) and they show me different things to do with her and they keep track of her development which is good because she did have a rough start so i certainly dont want to just ignore anything or not address anything and then have it become a problem later.
my issue right now is she doesnt like strangers to begin with and strangers touching her is a big no no so everytime this woman comes it's literally an hour plus of her screaming bloody murder. if she was just fussing i would probably continue but this is like full on freak out and screaming and crying and we dont get anything done and i feel like it's making her hate strangers even more. this woman's personality doesnt mesh well with us. my husband are very laid back and kind of like "ok cool whatever" and this woman comes in with a mission and a schedule and expects to get this this this and that all done and pushes pushes pushes. nothing really wrong with this way of being except you're dealing with a baby who is scared of you and she doesnt really want you near her. then she's looking at me like theres something wrong with her like i didnt feed her or why is she tired etc etc etc.
the timing is bad too.

we agreed to take a month off which i dont think will make a difference but she said when she comes back in a month rather than her physically handling her she will bring a doll and show me what to do and she will just observe.

my question is if this was always an option why is just now bringing it up?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Sending sympathy SUH and LP! Dealing with health care providers and services is so stressful!

SUH, I hope you can get some help sooner than you think. Are these tests something you need to get him extra help at school, or could you just keep on keeping on as best you can for a while?

LP, our heath visitor came at 9 months but we don't see her again until 2 years; woohoo! Last time tiny wu scooched herself under the couch away from the HV and made baleful looks instead of demonstrating her skills. (well, I guess those are also skills). I hope things go better next time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

He definitely needs some kind of therapy. He would not do well in school. He can't even sit still 10 seconds to eat his meals. Can you imagine hours at a time in class?? He is loud and crazy. It needs to be controlled. I want to avoid meds though. So we are looking at other options.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 am 
Semen Strong

Good luck SuH, that sounds challenging. I know people who have done well with alternative approaches like diet, and I hope you can find something that works well for Sam!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We already avoid dyes and refined sugar... and gluten-free mostly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:23 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ahhh I can't believe I'm looking at kindergartens for Dahlia. How can she be this old already!?!?
I'm annoyed just to begin with because our closest school apparently waitlisted zoned students last year so there's a good chance we won't get in there. It would be SO nice to be able to just walk a couple blocks and drop her off, as opposed to the situation now which is Howard driving or, on nice days, walking a mile with Sierra in the stroller. But our district is like this weird spread-out area with not-so-great schools and not many of them either!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2693 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 108  Next