| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

stuckunderhere wrote:
He definitely needs some kind of therapy. He would not do well in school. He can't even sit still 10 seconds to eat his meals. Can you imagine hours at a time in class?? He is loud and crazy. It needs to be controlled. I want to avoid meds though. So we are looking at other options.

Has he had any daycare/preschool experience? It's often hard to know how a child will behave in that kind of environment if they haven't experienced it. I know kids who are bouncing off the wall crazy with their parents who are totally capable of sitting still in a classroom with peers. There's also just maturity issues - a lot of 5-year-olds are not ready for full-day "academic" classroom experiences, even with no special needs issues. Do you have half-day kindergarten there as an option? It's a PITA for the parents and transportation, but it's a good experience for some kids. Or, can you wait a year and start him in 1st grade? Or do a private kindergarten and then public first grade - that's become a popular option around here for kids who aren't quite ready for the rigors of public school and then also in districts that only offer half-day kindergarten when parents want a full-day program.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes, twice. 12 to 18months and then 34-40months.

We used to have half days, and now it's all bunched up into full days and overloaded classrooms.

If he's anything like I was in school (I'm ADD, without hyperactivity though), he'll have a rough time adjusting in elementary school. Our system sucks right now!!!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'd loooooove to homeschool. Have been thinking about it for a few years. We already do home pre-k. But I dunno if I could handle K-6 at home with him. The worse it gets emotionally and physically for him, the worse it feels for me to teach him on my own, ya know? And I don't want to do meds... Ugh!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm 
Chip Strong

Audrey wrote:
ahhh I can't believe I'm looking at kindergartens for Dahlia. How can she be this old already!?!?
I'm annoyed just to begin with because our closest school apparently waitlisted zoned students last year so there's a good chance we won't get in there. It would be SO nice to be able to just walk a couple blocks and drop her off, as opposed to the situation now which is Howard driving or, on nice days, walking a mile with Sierra in the stroller. But our district is like this weird spread-out area with not-so-great schools and not many of them either!

Good luck figuring out the whole kindergarten thing! The whole process here just seems really overwhelming. I mean, some people don't even get spots in their zoned schools!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ohhh, I think I found something!!!

We are now looking at trying the Feingold diet for Sam. It is not vegan, but we could accomodate that for the period of testing (6wks for phase 1, plus some of phase 2).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

SUH i dont really know anything about ADD but i do know my older nephew has pretty severe either ADD or ADHD (not sure of the difference?) and he is 14 now. i remember him being a very difficult child and what worked for them was keeping a very strict schedule and routine with him. he needs everything organized for him and a clear set of tasks (im talking mainly school related)
i know they worked alot with teachers and the school system too to make sure the teachers knew how to work with him.

he's also been on meds forever which i know you said you would like to avoid but he also had behavioral issues other than just being hyperactive and distracted. he was definitely a challenge. now as a teenager i would say he seems to me just like any other 14 year old boy.

at Xmas time when i saw him i was surprised how mature (behaviorally) he had gotten all of a sudden especially in comparison to his brother who is 12 and was off the charts crazy since it was Xmas.

im not sure if any of that helps as im sure each kid is different and unique in their circumstances but the meds and a strict routine really worked for them.
i do not believe they tried any sort of diet with him ever though and like Tlish i have heard people have successes with diet. my brother and his fam definitely eat the typical S.A.D. diet and my nephew is obsessed with hunting (yuck)

good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

stuckunderhere wrote:
He can't even sit still 10 seconds to eat his meals. Can you imagine hours at a time in class?? He is loud and crazy.

This sounds exactly like Beet! I know most kinds aren't as energetic as Beetroot, but I didn't htink it was *that* unusual. My friend said his little sister was the same way when she was a kid. They'd sit down to eat and she'd get up and circle the table a few times, take a bite, circle the table, etc. She's a sweet teenager now and I'm fairly sure the table-circling has stopped. ;D
[I'm homeschooling 2 hours a day (1 hour a day last year) and he's probably a year or more ahead of what he would be in school. Some days he doesn't want to settle down and do written work and it's not like we've never fought about it, but we get a lot more done in 2 hours than I thought we would.]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SUH, I hope you guys are able to find something that works for all of you. Meds can be scary, I understand your reluctance to try them! Whatever you end up doing though, you are doing a great job as a mum!

My updates: Izzy can read and write all of sudden. Like over the last month went from veeeery slowly sounding a word to being able to read easy books and write us adorable notes. !!!!!
Also, I discovered he can roll his tongue into a taco.

Z has gotten into playing games with us with lots more instruction. (He's 18mo.) We played "where's bunny?" - we would make Bunny bounce and give kisses and then hide. Z would go find Bunny. He loves it! And he's getting so tall. Between him and his 5yo brother, they can reach EVERYTHING. Z also loves books a lot more now. I can actually read an entire kid's/board book to him. His verbal skills are out of control. So exciting!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

eeee Sierra burped at the dinner table last night and then said "Excuse me!" I was totally amazed. She is pretty quiet but then out of nowhere will bust out with some words and I almost do a double-take - this happened also during a lull in the conversation at the xmas dinner table, she turned to me and said "green bean!" and I had to confirm with others that this really happened hahah. It's so much fun. We've been very nonchalant about the whole speech thing since Dahlia barely talked til around 2.5 years but in Sierra's case I guess having now-motormouth Dahlia around is bound to have results.

bodhi that is super-exciting about Iz reading! I can't wait for this. Dahlia is very into talking about letters and the sounds they make, listing what words begin with what letters etc so I know reading is gonna happen soon. I'm working a little on teaching her some sight words, like "the" and "and". I have fond memories of my dad teaching me to read by working with me every night after dinner, using magnetic letters on a board and I want to be part of Dahlia's learning experience too (only not so easy with working + the little sister).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sam read me a book the other day. I was speechless! The kiddo is learning so fast!
I have it on video but there's Moe screaming in the background because Eli wasn't doing something or another.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So many smart ppkiddos! I love hearing about the talking/reading/writing--it's just so cool!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://youtu.be/pml-uoFsjIY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

It's been a while; Edie is 9 weeks old now! I feel like were through the worst of it, but man is this hard. I'm incredibly lucky to have had a lot of family help, but in between having family staying here it get so overwhelming. She is a pretty bad sleeper and possibly colicky, and I'm honestly scared to leave the house alone with both of them. It's feeling a little easier now, but I still do miss our old life? Bonding with Edie has been a lot slower than with Sven too. I'm at the point where I no longer feel like we made a horrible mistake, but it's still a big adjustment for the whole family. Emotionally I'm actually pretty okay now. I don't think I ever dipped into PPD, but there was definitely a wild hormonal ride for a while and my midwife has been keeping an eye one me, but in her experience this seems to be pretty common with second babies.

Sven just turned two and is talking up a storm and being generally adorable. He has his challenges but really loves his sister, though he seems to want to be held and helped a lot more since she came along (perfectly understandable). He started a half-day nanny share one morning a week outside the house, and I think it is a nice stepping stone that will eventually lead to him going to preschool two days a week. Right now it's a challenge to give him as much stimulation and opportunities to get out of the house as he needs, but I'm slowly feeling braver and braver about getting out with two, and our playgroup is a lifesaver.

Multiple-kid mamas, tell me all your secrets! I need to figure this out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Hang in there mandycoot. I think the secret is that at the beginning, it just is really hard, at least in particular moments. I'm glad to hear you're doing better emotionally yourself.

Speaking of second kids! It's the Magician's birthday today! It is kind of nuts to think about how many things have changed for us in the past two years. He's gone from this:

To this:

To this:

I stayed home with him and E today (their preschool is closed for MLKJ Day today anyhow) and we played in the garden, had lunch at a restaurant, went to the grocery store, and went to the park-- seriously all of his favorite things.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Aw, the Magician is super cute!

Mandycoot, I have no advice. Hang in there, I hope things feel more under control soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

happy birfday lil cutie pie!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Happy Birthday Magician! He looks so adorable! I do miss the comparison pictures you did for a while between him and E!

Mandycoot, sending you lots of good thoughts. It sounds like everyone has a rough time with the transition and then it gets easier... I am glad you are feeling well supported emotionally. I am glad Sven is so sweet with Edie and generally adjusting well to being a big brother - that must be a huge relief.

The first few months of L's infancy were so exhausting - she cried all the time and it was generally just suckiness, and I am pretty much terrified by the idea of repeating that experience again, because it felt like all she did all day was cry and scream. And she wasn't even a very difficult baby.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aww, happy birthday, lil dude!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:36 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

So Giles had his 18 month check-up today. He is still right in the 90%tile for height and weight. I mentioned that I was concerned about his speech (still only one word which he rarely says) and she suggested and EI evaluation. I'm not sure how I feel about that - I guess I really just wanted her to say there was nothing to worry about and he would start yammering away any day now. I guess only good can come of a more in depth eval, either he will be fine or they will recommend some speech therapy for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sam didn't start even as much as babbling til he was 2. Then he was jabbering on by 2.5 and now won't even stop for a sec. Until they are almost 3, I would not worry one bit. That is not something I would tell the mother of an 18m old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks everyone. We're taking it one day at a time. Edie is just so different from Sven -- he hardly ever cried and I (smugly) felt like such a good parent because of it. Turns out we were just verrrry lucky!

And happy birthday Magician! He looks so grown up!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Elliot was slow to talk. we told ourselves we wouldn't "worry" till he turned 2. Then at 2 he had maybe 10 words so we did a hearing test and speech eval. turned out he had fluid in his ears from allergies and now just a few months later he is talking up a storm after his ears were cleared.

We are in about the same boat mandycoot. Amelia is 9 weeks. It is SO HARD right now. Elliot never cried (or maybe I have selective memory) as long as his needs were met. This one is a screamer if every little thing isn't perfect. I love her to death but we are barely hanging on right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It was crazy hard when Elijah was teeny tiny too. I mean, it took me up until he was maybe 10months or so to adjust, but thats just because he is a challenging little one. I hope it gets better soon for y'all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh dear! I am getting scared to add #2 now! I kept hearing "it is so much easier to go from 1-2 kids, then it was from 0-1 kids" I was hoping that was true!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

tank wrote:
We are in about the same boat mandycoot. Amelia is 9 weeks. It is SO HARD right now. Elliot never cried (or maybe I have selective memory) as long as his needs were met. This one is a screamer if every little thing isn't perfect. I love her to death but we are barely hanging on right now.

I'll be thinking of you and sending happy baby vibes! Thanks for sharing; it's good to know that it's not just me (I'd been told that it's easier to go from 1-2 than from 0-1 as well).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 108  Next