| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annasrobbie wrote:
Oh dear! I am getting scared to add #2 now! I kept hearing "it is so much easier to go from 1-2 kids, then it was from 0-1 kids" I was hoping that was true!

I think it totally depends! Having a first one changes your lifestyle, so for the second one, the lifestyle change might not feel so drastic. Managing two kids at once can be tricky though! We were lucky that our first was pretty difficult, so we were prepared for the worst, and when Z arrived, he was quiet, laidback, and slept 8-8 with brief wakings for the first year or so. You couldn't ask for any easier baby. I can imagine it would be really rough if baby #2 was colicky or had any kind of issue (developmental, disorder of some kind, just never wanted to sleep). Everyone's different!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I do find that the transition from 1-2 kids was easier than starting out with the first but there are some factors here: my kids are exactly 3 years (plus 4 days) apart so we did have the luxury of a lot of discussion with Dahlia about being a big sister, something that would've been difficult if she were younger. And for the 1st five months, Dahlia's day-to-day life was not that drastically changed because I took Sierra to work so D still had Papa all to her self all day. The whole being alone with the 3yr old and a newborn never really happened to me, and I count myself as lucky...when S did eventually get too active to come to work with me, I know Howard had some really rough days taking care of them both. In fact, I realize now that that's what prompted us to get D into a 2 days a week/4 hours a day preschool program - ha, we thought we were doing it to get her socialized but in retrospect I think we had other motives too hahah.

But - Dahlia was an amazing sleeper from about 2months old on, and Sierra is pretty terrible about sleeping. We were definitely not ready for that! I had zero desire to share our bed with a baby but that's what happened, because it was the only way for us all to sleep. She's getting a little better about sleeping longer stretches by herself but I never thought out sleep difficulties would go on and on and on - she'll be 2 in May already! But taking the bad with the good - as a toddler, she's a lot more independent and happy to play by herself than her older sister ever was, so whether she learned it from D or that's just her nature, it's a huge bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Hang in there mandycoot and tank! It does get easier. The first three or four months were so so rough emotionally for me. Annasrobbie, in our case it was easier having a newborn this time around. Alice basically slept all day in the beginning and I didn't need to be holding her all of the time like I did with Ada. It was the adjustment for everyone that was really rough. And a lot of guilt on my end for not being able to do everything for/with Ada. Alice is almost 8 months old now and it is so much better. Not that it's not still harder than just one kid but it's nothing like those beginning months. Now I get to watch these two play together and it's the best. They both adore each other and Ada gets just excited as me when Alice does something new.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think those of you with more than 1 kid are basically super stars. i can barely keep my shiitake together with one.

i never thought BabyPunk was a "difficult" baby but in comparison to other babies i have since met i guess she is needy.
she definitely cried alot when she was little little but i never really considered her colicky since when she cried there was usually a reason for it. (tired, hungry, wet diaper) it all seemed like normal baby stuff to me. i never considered there were babies who didnt cry much.
she's been a terrible sleeper since like week 2 or 3. maybe like DAY 2 or 3 :-P
if shes not asleep ontop of you she wants to be held or interacted with so i have her 24-7 with very rare breaks to myself.

my friend has twins that are now 5 months and i swear they are always asleep. everytime i have been to their house they have been sound asleep in their swings and occasionally wake up to be fed.
the last time we were there we were talking with another person who also had a non-sleeping baby and we were laughing about how she had read something like babies are supposed to sleep 16 hours a day or something crazy. mine is awake for 16 hours probably :-P
but seriously im glad my friend has good sleepers cause she has 2 babies so i wont begrudge them that.

i do marvel at these babies that sleep though. they are magical.

other than the nonsleeping or only sleeping on top of me and the teething that seems to have been going on forever and ever and ever and ever BP is a pretty chill baby but i dont think i could handle another one.

you guys deserve medals i say!!! and extra extra sleep :-)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:16 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

16hrs a day? bahahahahaha! Eli gets 12hrs at the most (nap and night) and Sam sleeps 9.5hrs now. I do not have sleepy kiddos... Sam stopped napping at 2.5, and Eli is down to 1 now.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

mandycoot wrote:
Thanks everyone. We're taking it one day at a time. Edie is just so different from Sven -- he hardly ever cried and I (smugly) felt like such a good parent because of it. Turns out we were just verrrry lucky!

This resonated with me so much! Clara (tiny wu) has never been laid-back, mellow, or even a "happy baby," even from the first day in the hospital right after she was born, when she cried so often and so loudly the nurses kept coming in all worried to check on us (not typical, in the Danish system). It was literally months of her crying, me holding her all the time, nobody sleeping for more than an hour at a time. And I would look at all the other moms in my mothergroup and think I must just be the worst parent, and feel like it was so unfair that other people could enjoy their babies. Of course I loved her tremendously but no one was enjoying much of anything.

At 15 months, she's still a super-intense, dramatic little person who doesn't sleep very well but life is a lot better now-- we actually want another baby! Anyway, I just wanted to say that your words touched me. mandycoot, because even after all this time some part of me still felt bad about her infancy. And it was nice to hear someone say, yeah, luck plays a part!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:31 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

That is Eli too. He is my demanding boy. At 15months, I am still around him 24/7 because he won't leave me alone. Still BFing a gazillion times a day, still won't sleep at night more than 1hr at a time and still cries often and for no reason during the day. He is a grumpy frumpy boy. You can tell from my pics, he never really smiles.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So the Magician is really, really into singing. REALLY into singing. And while he'll sing pretty much any song (kid songs, grownup songs, whatever, if he's heard it once or twice he's likely to sing it again at some point), what he is really, really into singing right now is... Call Me Maybe.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

hahaha poor parents having to listen to that! I feel your pain, as cute as it is...D went through a phase where she sang that "this is not a drive-by y y y y y" song all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Alice is 8 months old! Her third bottom tooth broke through last week and a top tooth started cutting through today. It looks like there are a couple of other teeth that are going to come in within the next couple of weeks too. She hasn't started crawling and doesn't roll much but she wants to stand all of the time now. If she's on my lap facing me she'll pull herself to a standing position. And she can keep herself up holding onto something. She desperately wants to walk like Ada and will hold my fingers and take a few steps forward and dance around a bit. A large part of today was spent holding her fingers so she could try to walk. I am pretty sure she is going to just skip crawling.

Ada is almost 2 years and 9 months. She is really into space and rocket ships now and for some reason she pronounces astronaut as "restaurant" which can be confusing because one of the imaginary games she likes to play is where we go to space and eat in a restaurant. She just has the best imagination in general and can entertain herself for a good part of the day. She's still into trains, puzzles, and building things. Let's see...recent things she learned are counting down from 10 and the days of the week. I could go on and on because everyday I am just amazed by her.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:03 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Sam is 5 and says "ass-troy-not" (yes, it sounds like 3 seperates words lol

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

First successful baby-sitting experience today! I posted back in September about how we were trying out having one of my teenage students watch Clara during some of my afternoon classes. Well, back then it was a total fail; we tried three times and she just cried non-stop after I'd leave. Mr. Scandi and I just adjusted our working hours as best we could so one of us could always be with her. This week Mr. Scandi had to go to Copenhagen for some important meeting (the Crown Princess was there, it was a big deal) so I asked my student if she'd try again. And it worked!

We met up at the ballet school, the babysitter drover Clara off in her stroller and they walked a couple blocks to the library. There's a big kids section and C loves playing there. Apparently they both had a really good time and were just pulling back up to the ballet school when I finished teaching (75 minutes later). So massive win! I am so impressed and amazed by how much C has been growing and changing in the last few months. I was super nervous about this, but my baby did me proud.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yesterday was the 5th and when I realized that I completely freaked out thinking Malka was 2.5, after she made me sing "Happy birthday to Malka" 10 times and I realized the date (as it turns out, I forgot we were in February, not March, so she is still only 29 months), and actually started sobbing about my baby growing up and then I tried to get her to say she was two and a half and she was totally ignoring me and I got even more choked up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Congrats on the babysitting success, SV! We're just getting ready to try something out soon, I think, if we can find someone nice and safe and trustworthy who will love Freya as much as we do and, um...yeah. :p

Ariann, these months since turning two have found me so overwhelmed with how "grownup" Freya seems sometimes. She uses words like "actually", goes and strikes up conversations with strangers, makes up stories, climbs all over the freaking place....and the worst of all (this is so stupid)...when she is naked on the top half, she loves to tilt her head back and feel her hair rustling against the skin on her back (because it's actually sort long now). Where are my tissues? :p

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:58 pm 
Married to the wolfman

refinnej wrote:
Ariann, these months since turning two have found me so overwhelmed with how "grownup" Freya seems sometimes. She uses words like "actually", goes and strikes up conversations with strangers, makes up stories, climbs all over the freaking place....and the worst of all (this is so stupid)...when she is naked on the top half, she loves to tilt her head back and feel her hair rustling against the skin on her back (because it's actually sort long now). Where are my tissues? :p

I was never this way with E, but I do have a lot of these sniffly moments with M. The other day I was blowing a raspberry at him and he stopped what he was doing and said very sternly and very clearly: "No spitting, mama. I talk to you about this a couple of times already." After I got done laughing hysterically (because really, picture a 2 year old saying this in his little squeaky doll voice) I was like he's so grown up now, sadface.

Both the Emperor and M are wild for jumping off of things right now. E can jump an amazing horizontal distance, and I know this because he practices constantly and on everything. M does an adorable and surprisingly sturdy little hop; he's really got the "plant your feet on landing" thing.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so BP turned 9 months recently. overall she is doing awesome. some of you probably read my long rant in the venting thread about her overall development and lack of sleep.

well this week i fired the early intervention people who were coming. originally they were coming to work on her torticollis but that is pretty much fixed now (she has a VERY minor head tilt) but then they were all up in my grill because her gross motor skills are delayed. i would be happy for their help if BP didnt scream through the entire session but her stranger anxiety is so bad that even when the PT came this time and didnt touch her (she had a doll and she showed me what to do) it just ended in screaming and crying. i think too me and the PT just had a personality clash. so i ended services. if i ever decide we need services again i can just call them and restart so it's not a big deal. anytime before she's 3 anyways. after that you deal with the school system.

i felt like they were majorly stressing me out. im trying not to freak out that she's not exactly on the "normal" sched as far as mobility but having to like report to these people was driving me nuts. i wont go into the ridiculouslness of it all because this would turn into a 10 page post. suffice to say after firing them and my vent in the vent post and all your awesome replies i was feeling better.

THEN we had our 9 month well baby visit yesterday. overall her health is great. ive been planning on throwing her a party when she hits 15 lbs cause to me then she would no longer be the size of ANY newborn ANYWHERE (though since then i think i heard about some crazy newborn that was like 20 lbs but whatever). i was so ready for my little celebration yesterday totally convinced she was 15 lbs and no she's only 14 lbs 8 oz. hahahahaha. mini baby is mini.
im not worried about her weight it just cracks me up. she is perfectly on her growth curve and the dr is very pleased with her growth. she's still 1% for weight and 19% for height (tall and skinny like daddy) and i feel like her head has gotten huge lately. she looks different to me!

she answered my general questions and then i told her BP doesnt eat ANY solid foods like none. she will gnaw on celery, cukes, and green beans but god forbid you try to spoon feed her anything. and she wont self feed herself anything other than the above mentioned items she likes to chew on. so if i give her a roasted chunk of sweet potato all she does is hold onto it and squish it. so i wasnt overly concerned about this. the dr kind of said "huh....." (WHAT DOES THAT MEAN????)
and then i mentioned she gags on EVERYTHING. anything she puts in her mouth and tries to eat she gags on. so if she is gnawing on celery and her two tiny teeth get a chunk off, she gags on it. she gags on tylenol. occasionally (not super often) she gags when nursing. so the dr seemed concerned about this. and she was like "oh well we can do a swallow study" and before i knew it they were scheduling me some swallow study at the hospital where they make them swallow barium and then do xrays or something to see what is going on.
then i was talking to my husband who is Mr "Everything is fine and rainbows and puppies and unicorns" and he thinks she is fine of course and just not ready for food.
since her over all growth and development has been delayed it would make sense that is delayed too. im stuck in the middle of not wanting to ignore something and not wanting to overreact.
so after much thought we are going to wait on the whole thing. i already have to bring her to the cardiologist for an echocardiogram next month which i know is going to go horribly so i dont want to submit her to anymore torture. plus i have no idea how they would actually manage to do this test on her.
my husband was looking around on the interwebs and apparently some kids just have a super duper sensitive gag reflex. he found all these posts about kids doing the same thing asher.the only difference was these kids seemed to actually WANT to eat food.

other than that she did seem a bit concern about her delay of gross motor skills but since she has no communication delay or cognitive delay and her fine motor skills are probably ahead of the game i think she deferred to me which was i dont really want to do anything right now and she is just on her own plan.

im just getting frustrated overall as i feel like everything for this kid is a struggle. i mean swallowing? crawling? these are things most kids just do.
im sort of ignoring all the medical people who like want to shoehorn every kid onto the same sched and just letting her do her own thing.
i told my mom i hope the school systems arent like this where every kid has to be doing the same thing as the exact prescribed time and she told me to put her in private school :-P

then after all i thought i thought we were gonna get through the visit needle free since she wasnt due for any vax and then the dr was like "oh at 9 months we usually do bloodwork"
AHHHHH. in MA they do anemia and lead tests at 9 months because there are so many old homes in New England and kids chew on windowsills and get lead poisoning. and then to cap it all off instead of going to the lab in the same building for bloodwork that would have taken maybe 10 mins tops she recommended i drive over to the hospital because she was getting mixed reviews on the lady in the lab. since it was a blood draw on a baby i decided to not take a chance with a waffly phlebotomist and go to the hospital but we were there FOREVER of course. thankfully there was enough new interesting things to look at that BP was the picture of perfect behavior.....until they held her down and jabbed a needle in her of course but that was to be expected ;-)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Whew. That sounds pretty stressful! I'm glad to see that you're going with your gut regarding her development. I know several have already said this, but that a 9 month old doesn't crawl and chooses not to eat solids are really not unusual traits *at all*. BP seems like a perfectly happy baby, just doing things her own way. :p

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 pm 
Semen Strong

That does sound stressful! Big hugs to you and BabyPunk!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks guys. there's nothing about her that raises a red flag in me thinking something is *wrong* with her in terms of a disability or handicap. i think she's just on her own program.
pretty much right after the dr appt in that afternoon i had her on her belly in our living room and she was "crawling" in circles. ie she was going around in a circle using her arms while on her belly (so not actually moving forward just around). i dangle my nursing necklace just out of reach (this is one of the few things that she actually wants to grab for) and she pulls herself around

shes done this before on her playmat which is made out of a slipperty vinyl material but not on the carpet which is not quite as easy to slide around on.
she did a full 360 over a period of time and then later i left her facing some blocks thinking she might reach for them while on her tummy then i ran downstairs real quick to start some laundry and when i came back she was facing the complete opposite direction. so she did it without me even having to lure her. though i think she was looking for me.

so she's on her way. just....slowly. and that's fine.
ill have to see if i can get a video of her going in a cirlce. usually when i get the camera out she decides that is more intersting that what she had been doing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Sierra is trying verrrry hard to jump. Yesterday I was watching her and wondering "what the hell is she doing?" and realized that she was trying to take off...kinda bending then straightening her knees while standing on the bed over and over. And then I remembered that this was how Dahlia "learned" to jump too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Lisa, sorry it's all so stressful. Trust your gut.

Malka passed the 25 pound mark!!! I had been obsessively weighing her for like 6 months while she held steady at 24 and change and we weighed her yesterday and she was nearly 26!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

Audrey - Giles is learning to jump too!!! I was singing him the "pop" goes the weasel song the other day and out of the blue I saw his feet come off the floor a micro-millimeter and from then on he has been doing that little squat-stand up real quick move. So cute!!!

Congrats on Malka's weight gain! I'm sure that is very satisfying to see since you seem to have to work so hard with her diet!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Greta is rolling over as of yesterday!

And Inez... I don't even know. I never update so it'd be a novel. She's amazing. A mile-a-minute, super imaginative, inquisitive ("whyyyyy?") little dynamo. And such a sweet big sister. I love how much she loves Greta. And she's definitely Greta's favorite person. I really hope they're close when they're older.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:43 pm 
Inflexitarian

Go greta! Already mobile!!!

Well we had a meeting with the early steps clinical coordinator today. She was basically telling us about the program, but since the baby was in the room she was kind of commenting on things she saw about him that she would want to mention to the actual evaluators (since she isn't a clinician of any sort) and it was really interesting. She did notice some of the things that were concerning me like poor eye contact and of course his lack of speech but she was great at giving suggestion of ways to try to enhance eye contact and different things to help with speech development. She said she was email us some more "tips and tricks". I am kind of confused now as to whether I want to schedule the formal eval right away or just try to work on some of the great tips she gave us and see how that goes? On the one hand if he does NEED therapy getting started earlier rather then later is better, but it would be definitely just be nicer not to have to get involved in all of that sort of stuff if he didn't NEED it. I really appreciated how she told me about her observations - I am pretty sure she wasn't actually supposed to be doing that, but she sees SO many children that I think her opinion is valuable too even if she isn't a therapist/developmental specialist.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

eee Sierra peed in her potty last night! it was cool. When visiting friends a few weeks ago she loved sitting on the little portable (IKEA) potty they had so we got one and she's been sitting on it, fully clothed, occasionally. Last night she insisted on taking her pj suit off and then her diaper, and sat on the potty. It was right before bedtime so we were all hanging out in the livingroom and chatting and saying encouraging things to her. Still, we really didn't think anything would happen so I was totally shocked when she stood up and I went to put the potty back in the corner and it was like FULL of pee. Very happy about this, I know it doesn't mean potty-training is absolutely imminent but this was completely initiated by her and starting a bedtime routine of trying the potty is such a good idea anyway.

Reply to topic  [ 2452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99  Next