| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 am 
Chip Strong

That's such great news LisaPunk!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

good luck SUH. im sending my good cardio vibes your way!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:06 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

That's fantastic news LisaPunk!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

He's okay. We went through an EKG and it seems that they now consider it a "functional murmur", whatever that mean...

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:19 am 
***LIES!!!***

SUH - I don't know what "functional murmur" means, but I have a murmur and it's no big whoop. I think they are fairly common in kids. Hopefully it will be no big whoop for him as well.

Guess who turned 2.5! The highlights of the past 6 months:
-we started gymnastics, she is a beast on all kinds of bars, doesn't much care for the beam, and spends the first ten minutes of the class running around in a circle on the floor; she is the only child in the class who follows most of the instructions and sings along to every song, which is weird, since she follows no instructions at home
-she EATS! lots of stuff! without complaint! and totally gets the one treat a day concept! I am so thrilled!
-she broke the 25 pound mark
-she decided she likes swimming again after not being such a fan for awhile; also would live in the tub if you let her, especially if it's our neighbors tub and their three kids are also in it
-she talks in paragraphs, tells stories, will talk to herself for 10 minutes straight (and yell at you if you interrupt)
-lots more friend-making happening, lots more collaborative and imaginative play happening with friends, lots more understanding when friends' feelings are hurt and responding appropriately
-we are firmly in the "why?" stage
-she can cut paper, glue stuff together, and is a huge fan of paint
-she fibs about as easily as she tells the truth - we've been saying, "Did that really happen or are you just being silly?" and she'll usually say she's just being silly if it's not the truth.
-she started actually cuddling her dolls while she sleeps, which is so interesting, since she's had a doll for well over a year and never done that before
-but her sleep has otherwise regressed - naps are a completely random disaster, bedtime is later and later, she won't go to sleep on her own anymore and needs us to lay with her, sometimes all night
-speaking lots more Hebrew and more interested in reading our Hebrew books - she also can identify if I'm speaking/reading in English or Hebrew. Her first and only grammatical accomplishment in Hebrew is understanding and forming plurals - this morning she said "berries" in Hebrew instead of just saying "berry" like she usually does, in reference to our burgeoning strawberry plants. I was thrilled. And I have to speak to her much more in Hebrew!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am 
Semen Strong

Hurrah! YAY Malka! That is all so exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow! Malka is doing awesome!

i have seen her facebook pictures of her love of paint and paint-like substances!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i googled functional murmur out of curiousity and it seems it's a defect caused by the functioning of the heart rather than the actual construction of the heart.
for example BP's heart murmur is because of the construction of her heart (ie she has a hole in it)

that doesnt explain much does it?

but like Ariann says heart murmurs can be no big thing. there is some question as to whether or not my husband has a heart murmur. one dr says yes another says no so it's obviously inconsequential either way.

many many people have heart murmurs that dont really effect them and that seems like what BP's will be like for her.

if your dr is not concerned then it's probably no biggie.
(though i understand being worried the first time they said "heart murmur" to me in the hospital after BP was born i almost had a heart attack myself)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mine is from a hole too... So that's why I was worried for Sam.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 pm 
Naked Under Apron

oh man Sierra is adopting Dahlia's love of knock-knock jokes. Last night it was "Knock knock" (said with vehement knocking motion), and we'd say "who's there?" "Sierra!" "Sierra who?" "uhhhh Mama!"
granted, most of the time you ask what her name is, she says "Dahlia!" hahaha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I had to take BP to the dr today for a weigh in and she finally cracked 15 lbs!!! Woohoooooo!!!! Party time!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Well we had our developmental evaluation today. It was very upsetting. We met with a developmental psychologist and a speech therapist and talked/played for 1.5 hours. At the end they gave us the "developmental age" for each area of development. For language all the areas were in the 9-13 month range (he is 20 months). I was really shocked and upset by that because I thought he was understanding pretty well for his age...apparently not so much. He scored low in emotional/social development also (14-16 month range) and fine in motor skills. They were talking about his "uneven" development which is a term that I know often is used for autistic kids, so I asked if that was what they were thinking. They kind of hemmed and hawed then and basically said that they do not give specific diagnoses at these appointments and that furthermore he is too young to be diagnosed with any autism spectrum disorder. They said he does have many of the red flags for autism, but that he has other strengths that aren't quite in line with a diagnosis like this so that basically autism is a possibility but not a probability at this point and we need to just focus on getting therapy in place for his areas of weakness and see how he progresses.
I am glad that he is going to get therapy, but still just so upset by just how behind they said he was. I am feeling exceptionally guilty now about being 8 months pregnant when my firstborn obviously is going to need more attention that now I don't know if I will be able to provide. Just upset all around. Oh and they are scheduling a separate OT evaluation because of possible "sensory" issues that can be affecting his speech too, so that will be fun I am sure...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

annasrobbie I'm sorry to hear how the evaluation went. And I'm sure you know this, but everyone develops differently and not everyone fits into these little age boxes for development. I know, they are the experts and all, but it's also possible that he was a bit reticent or just plain acting a little differently around these strangers. It's awesome that you are being proactive about getting him help but please don't be down on yourself! Many hugs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

That must be hard to hear when you thought everything was ok.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm sorry annasrobbie, that sounds really difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm sorry, annasrobbie, that's hard. You're doing a great job taking care of him!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending you lots of good thoughts annasrobbie.

I do agree with Audrey's point, that these evaluations are just a snapshot in time, and that every kid has their own timeline, and that its great that you're getting the interventions to help Giles and I hope that helps put your mind at ease a little once you have a plan of action in place. It must be really hard to be 8 months pregnant and dealing with all of this. Fwiw, quite a few PPKers have had children have early intervention for language and it has seemed to make a dramatic difference. I hope that things go well for you and Giles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for the thoughts and kind words guys. I am feeling a bit better about things today - getting speech therapy and maybe occupational therapy started will be great for him and I KNOW that during the evaluation of language he didn't do quite a few things that he would normally do at home because he was just kind of bouncing all over the exam room checking everything out - ignoring the examiners. They even mentioned at the end of the evaluation that they felt that this eval had NOT done a great job of really assessing his language skills - I kind of let that comment fly in one ear and out the other yesterday but thinking back they were actually quite positive about things and said that he seemed like he would be very "remediable" and a great therapy candidate. Also I knew I was forgetting one of the areas of development and it was cognitive skills which he scored in the age appropriate range so that is a positive too. STILL feel weepy when I think too much about it today (darn hormones), but altogether doing much better and hoping we can get started on speech soon!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oy, annasrobbie, I'm sorry you had that upsetting experience. But I'm happy for you and for Giles that he's going to get a lot of useful therapy! That's what these experiences are for, right?

I do always find these evaluations to be a little suspect, though. I can't imagine toddlers ever "performing" well for strangers - LisaPunk has similar stories about the people who used to come work with BabyPunk. For older kids, how do you know if a child is under-performing because of an emotional issue having to do with being tested in the first place, or the person doing the testing? How do you tell when the assessment is poor because the skills are really lagging or because the kid is just nervous, anxious, angry, sad, excited?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:30 am 
Chip Strong

Alice now crawls at high speed.. Her and Ada have been chasing each other back and forth across the apartment and its super cute.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:26 am 

annasr, I'm so sorry that you had this experience, but as many others have said, it could turn out to be a really good thing in that G can get the help he needs. Also, don't put too much stock in one evaluation. Toddlers (even non-delayed ones) are often just as you described...bouncy and seemingly scatterbrained. I can't imagine how hard this must be to process right now, but definitely wait to see what happens over the next few visits. When do you go back for another visit?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:27 am 

Also, Alice and Ada chasing each other makes me want to have another baby! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annasrobbie, that sounds tough--I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about things now. My BIL and SIL had a very similar situation with my nephew when he was about 2. The intervention, in their case, definitely got him some help he needed. Now at 4.5, he is not as social as his twin sister, but has more than caught up for language and motor skills. His family is definitely ok with letting kids be their own unique people, in their own time, etc, so the evaluation initially was pretty hard to take, but the therapy really did do good stuff for him.

I definitely don't mean that a social worker or other stranger is always right about your kid, but it seems like in your case you do feel like Giles will benefit and that's a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annasrobbie im sorry you had such a rough experience. i know you posted that awhile ago but i was super sick for awhile with the plague then out of town visiting relatives.

Ariann's right i did have a similar experience with BabyPunk and the early intervention people who used to come. originally they came because she had infant torticollis which is basically just a tightening of neck muscles on one side causing them to predominantly look one way and she also had a slight head tilt from it. so basically she just needed PT because its waaaay easier to correct at a young age rather than when they are older.

so they came for that and then it spiralled out of control and it got to the point that it was just a constant stressor in my life and i was freaking out over her development because i had these people in my house once a week telling me she was behind the times and was she doing this yet and why wasnt she doing that blah blah blah
i ended up ending services because i couldnt deal and she would just scream the entire time.

that's not to dissuade you from seeking out services at all just what happened with us specifically.

my advice is LISTEN TO YOUR GUT.

i knew deep down there was nothing wrong with BabyPunk, maybe she was a little behind but i had a rough pregnancy and am totally convinced she was evicted from the womb early and she had a hard time early on with various things so she is a bit behind but not in a way that i find worrisome. she's just not you know walking at 9 months and reading shakespeare at 10 months ;-)
they really were up my asparagus about the fact that she wasnt even attempting to crawl and overall her gross motor skills were delayed a bit. she also wouldnt roll from her back to her tummy.
to me however her fine motor skills were ahead of the game and i deep down didnt think there was an actual issue.

so i just trusted what i felt deep down and you know what? i dont think this kid is gonna crawl. she shows absolutely no interest in crawling or moving on her tummy but you know what she does love? standing. standing is cool and she is starting to try and climb on us and get up on her knees and she's just beginnig to try and pull herself up. so she will probably walk rather than crawl and if she does crawl it will probably be an after thought to walking.

and remember they only saw one small snapshot of your kid. when BP was 2 months old when they first admitted her onto the program they told me she had a communication/language delay which i thought was the funniest thing i had ever heard of that a 2 month old had a communication delay.
so there may be all sorts of things that YOU know he does and for whatever reason he didnt do during the evaluation.

i wont even go into the ridiculousness of her 6 month review but basically they were trying to get her to do all this stuff i had seen her do but she wouldnt do it for them because they were strange people and she's not a trained circus monkey.

so i would say try not to stress too much about the boxes they are trying to cram your kid into about what he should and shouldnt be doing and definitely start the services you think can be helpful because even though in the end i had to end service because it was the right thing for us i did learn a lot of things i could do to help her and you will see maybe places where you can help him improve or conversely they may see things were in the end he doenst need help.

the biggest thing i learned the hard way was every kid develops at a different pace and at a different time so that's really the only thing i can pass on from my experience and to seriously trust what you know deep down inside about your own kid!!!

sorry you had a crappy time i know exactly how you feel but i wasnt 8 months pregnant!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
Sending you lots of good thoughts annasrobbie.

I do agree with Audrey's point, that these evaluations are just a snapshot in time, and that every kid has their own timeline, and that its great that you're getting the interventions to help Giles and I hope that helps put your mind at ease a little once you have a plan of action in place. It must be really hard to be 8 months pregnant and dealing with all of this. Fwiw, quite a few PPKers have had children have early intervention for language and it has seemed to make a dramatic difference. I hope that things go well for you and Giles.

Miles is in Early Intervention for language and it has been wonderful for us and the difference from say Oct of last year until now is very dramatic. A friend of mine saw Miles for the first first time in a few months a few weeks ago and almost cried because she couldn't believe what a difference the therapy has made in his speech.

The EI people even said to us that it's hard to get a proper evaluation with kids 2 and under depending on the kids moods. The therapist who will eventually do the speech and OT therapy will do their own evaluations and you will get a clearer picture of what he needs help with..etc..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 107  Next