| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:20 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was pretty shocked too, bastah! She's totally not small, she's kind of a bruiser! She's at 10lbs 8oz as of this morning. The nurses at the hospital where she was born were commenting on how strong she was - I had first thought I was just super weak from the whole ordeal but no, super strong bebe.

My sweetheart thinks that swaddling actually helps her gain traction, something to exert force against, so that might be something to think about with Addie (though at the pediatrician's office Nettle was just in a diaper so she does it anyways). How scary for you! I'm glad she cried and alerted you, yikes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wow! Rolling already! That is both awesome and terrifying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:01 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Both my boys rolled over around 3-4months old. Sooo early! And it was very annoying to have to watch them constantly even so young, ya know?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:37 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

whoa Nettle! take it easy you'll be walking in a month! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

finally heard back from the hospital about taking BabyPunk to the growth and nutrition clinic. they're sending me some packet i have to fill out and send back then i can get an appt. now that ive firmly decided to do this im so anxious to go do it! i just want to go in and hope they tell me something like "shes fine she'll eat when she's ready"

OR at least something helpful that i can do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Jonah came home from the hospital rolling from back to side (only rarely makes it all the way to his stomach), and he just figured out rolling from stomach to back today. We're in trouble, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:10 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

LisaPunk, re. your doctor being worried that BP isn't talking yet; I did a seminar on language and memory development, and my teacher, a reasearcher in child development, said that all the studies with kids had taught him that there are major individual differences in normal kids. He said that he wouldn't worry about it if a child was slow to start talking, but if they didn't show signs of understanding some words at 10 months, that could be a bad sign. So yeah, understanding is much more important than language production (in the early stages of life at least).
We read some articles and chapters that said that some kids start producing words as soon as they understand the concept of a few words, while others don't speak until they understand hundreds of words.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

mollyjade wrote:
Jonah came home from the hospital rolling from back to side (only rarely makes it all the way to his stomach), and he just figured out rolling from stomach to back today. We're in trouble, too.

Jonah! Are you and Little Nettle are going to run off and join the carnival as the resident Strong Babies?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

LisaPunk wrote:
finally heard back from the hospital about taking BabyPunk to the growth and nutrition clinic. they're sending me some packet i have to fill out and send back then i can get an appt. now that ive firmly decided to do this im so anxious to go do it! i just want to go in and hope they tell me something like "shes fine she'll eat when she's ready"

OR at least something helpful that i can do.

LisaPunk, I hope that the clinic helps - in either or even both of the ways you mention!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

kaerlighed wrote:
LisaPunk, re. your doctor being worried that BP isn't talking yet; I did a seminar on language and memory development, and my teacher, a reasearcher in child development, said that all the studies with kids had taught him that there are major individual differences in normal kids. He said that he wouldn't worry about it if a child was slow to start talking, but if they didn't show signs of understanding some words at 10 months, that could be a bad sign. So yeah, understanding is much more important than language production (in the early stages of life at least).
We read some articles and chapters that said that some kids start producing words as soon as they understand the concept of a few words, while others don't speak until they understand hundreds of words.

very good to know thank you!
the amount she understands blows my mind. i havent tried to count but she understands tons of words and some phrases or at least the gist of the phrase.
she listens to me and my husband talking and will pick out words and like point to whatever that word might be or do whatever the word is. her new one is "dance"

she's become more chatty lately. stringing together differnet syllables. they dont make "real" words but she is definitely sounding like she's having a conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Scarlett is starting preschool in two weeks! We think she'll love it. It will just be three half days. We can drop her off anytime between 7:30 and 9, and we're going to try really hard to get there at 7:30 to get as much time as we're paying for, but it's going to be hard to get out of the house that early. We're also a little nervous about food issues. The kids just bring their own snack and lunch, so it's not like we have to worry about food being provided, but I have no experience with this and no idea how much two and three year olds share food with each other, or whether they just sit and eat their own stuff. Clearly she's too young to understand what exactly it means that her family is vegan.

We are not 100% thrilled with the school, but it at least seems clean, the kids and teachers seem happy, and we mostly chose it because it's close to home. I'm certainly no expert in early childhood ed but my gut tells me that my two year old needs to play and socialize with other kids, but doesn't really need structured lessons on math and reading. I think there's plenty of time for that later on. Overall we are just so excited for her! I sewed her a lunch box with ants on it! I'll post first day pics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:04 pm 

Oh and it took me all day to have time to finish writing that post, but my even more exciting update is that she just put herself to bed without us lying on the floor next to her crib for an hour for the first time ever!!!! I cannot believe that just happened!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I hope Scarlett loves "school" and awesome on the easy bedtime!

I want Giles to get into some type of group setting too - he is just starting to seem interested in other children and I feel like it would probably help his communication skills too, but man do they want an arm and a leg around here for even half day care! I tried to find a mother's day out program for even just once or twice a week, but they are all full for his age group with waiting lists a mile long. It is so tough when the stay at home parent is male here in the South - playdates are for mommies only! I have suggested my husband try to start a Dad's group and just see if there is any interest, but since he is pretty much the stereotypical introvert that does not sound appealing to him at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:19 am 

I totally understand both the stay at home dad issues and the expense of preschool. My partner is doing some freelance writing that will make just enough to cover the cost of her school if he works while she's there, so we're really lucky he has the option of doing that kind of flexible work. We figure it's still worth it for her to socialize; she's clearly getting bored of us! I imagine you're totally right that spending more time with other kids would help Giles' speech, but wow, it sounds annoying to find a program where you are. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh. crepe.
after walking while holding someone's hand for almost a month BabyPunk finally decided to let go tonight.

i. am. doomed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:16 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Aww that's great!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

BabyPunk is ready to take over the whole unimpressive world!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Go, babypunk!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

she's so funny she doesnt realize that she can let go of the things she can pull herself up on yet. so basically the only time she will walk is if you pick her up and stand her on her feet (she cant stand up independently yet, just by pulling up one something)

of course when we were outside today practicing on the front lawn the two places she continually wanted to go to was

1. the back/side of the house where the grass was really long and the terrain uneven and eventually a hill
2. THE ROAD OF COURSE

also toddlers totally look like zombies when they are trying to learn to walk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:10 pm 

Scarlett had her first day of preschool today! She was SO excited to go and from what I hear from my partner's spying and her teacher's report, she had a great time. It was so emotional for us to drop her off! And I packed my kid's first school lunch-- I'm such a mom! That still feels weird to me. There was one major vegan win. When my partner got there to pick her up, the teacher was serving milk to the kids whose parents wanted them to have it, and he heard Scarlett say, "Mooo! Milk is for cows!" (Quoting "V is for Vegan".) Ha!

I made her lunch box and backpack :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 am 
Nooch of Earl

I love her little lunchbox! She looks so proud!

I am insanely jealous of all the people on fb with their pictures of kids going off to school. I'm trying to get Vi into a preschool program but for various reasons (namely: all of Europe takes off all of August) haven't yet. We're kind of driving each other crazy. She watches way too much TV, she needs more contact with other kids.. she makes a huge mess and it means I spend all my time dealing with a surface layer of clutter and never get a chance to clean or even attack the subcutaneous layers of clutter in this house and it's driving me nuts living in a pigsty.

Today is our 3 year pediatrician appointment. I'm also hoping to get V signed up for dance class and J her two month shots, for which she's now a couple weeks overdue. If they are not willing or able to do them today I am going to start going a little bit crazy on them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Ah, I love everything about Scarlett's outfit!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:56 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Aww glad Scarlett was excited! Also, I love her outfit!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh my god! she is so stinkin cute!
i love how her little shoes match her outfit!

eeeee!!! glad she had a good day!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Awww, Scarlett is so sweet! I'm glad she was excited!

Today was Sven's first day of preschool too! MY BABY.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next