| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

zelda has learned how to clap & has been clapping excitedly at everything, looking very pleased with herself.

also, we don't have any stairs at our apartment so she hasn't gotten any practice with them -- but we were at my dad's house last night, & she climbed up all the stairs by herself! (with supervision, of course)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

does anyone else's baby have a totally different personality around other people? we go to a playgroup once a week, she's known these kids since she was 5 months old, she loves their moms (even while in the midst of stranger anxiety, she would let any of them hold her) and when we first started meeting, none of them were really mobile, and tzippy was the most outgoing one in the bunch. now the rest are all crawling or cruising like maniacs, and tzippy sits in the corner and watches or plays with something by herself. she's still not crawling yet, so that's part of it, but she's so much more noisy and active at home! the other kids are moving all over, fighting over toys, exploring, and my kid is the one lying on her tummy licking the floor. sigh.

i think i need to start coming to terms with the fact that i might have a baby with a completely different personality than mine and see how i'm going to deal with that.

other than that, we're working hard on crawling (i LOVE the rocking on hands and knees!) and army crawling like a champ. she can really book it when she's motivated. i really love the little games we play, peekaboo, share the ___ with mommy, throw me in the air, and ahh, no, don't tickle me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:37 am 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor has a different personality from me. He is INSANELY outgoing, even for a kid his age. He's less verbal around strangers but other than that, he's just got no stranger danger at all. Me? I'm a pretty extreme introvert. It's a bit of a drag for me because I honestly don't want to have to talk to every other parent at the playground, every single stranger in the coffee shop, every single person we see at the library, etc. It's really a big energy drain for me. But it makes him SO happy that I'm just kinda sucking it up and doing it. You have to work with what you get, I think...

Speaking of verbal, it seems like he's getting a new word every couple of days. You can tell what sounds he's really good at, because he gets words with those in a cluster. He says bubble, ball, block (just sounds like BLAH, but you can tell what he's talking about), bottle (BA, but he says it while signing water and/or pointing at my water bottle), and I think he's working on baby.

But I think his favorite word these days is definitely UH OH!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:18 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra is doing so well right now, I can't even start to describe it. He's such a happy baby, and I hear that from everyone who meets him.
He's 8 months old now, and officially has three teeth. It's crazy! I love the milestones, but at the same time I realize that there's no going back from the time and place we're at now, and I get a whole mess of emotions over that. He can crawl backwards, and he's actually quite mobile with that. He had his first fall off the bed this past weekend - I knew those things were bound to happen at some point, but after everything's that happened in the past, I get so overprotective with him.
I haven't been around much lately. Things have been going well PPD-wise, but I feel like I need some more time alone. I'm doing my best to enjoy my son and my family, and it really seems to be helping. I miss you all like crazy, but I think this is for the best right now.

Tonight is such a beautiful night. My doula friend - who has had two miscarriages and one stillborn - just had a homebirth this morning and is now resting with a wonderful baby boy named West. There was a point where that sort of information would have sent me into tears, but I'm just so so happy for her. It's so nice when life is good to you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

flavabean wrote:
Ezra is doing so well right now, I can't even start to describe it. He's such a happy baby, and I hear that from everyone who meets him.
He's 8 months old now, and officially has three teeth. It's crazy! I love the milestones, but at the same time I realize that there's no going back from the time and place we're at now, and I get a whole mess of emotions over that. He can crawl backwards, and he's actually quite mobile with that. He had his first fall off the bed this past weekend - I knew those things were bound to happen at some point, but after everything's that happened in the past, I get so overprotective with him.
I haven't been around much lately. Things have been going well PPD-wise, but I feel like I need some more time alone. I'm doing my best to enjoy my son and my family, and it really seems to be helping. I miss you all like crazy, but I think this is for the best right now.

Tonight is such a beautiful night. My doula friend - who has had two miscarriages and one stillborn - just had a homebirth this morning and is now resting with a wonderful baby boy named West. There was a point where that sort of information would have sent me into tears, but I'm just so so happy for her. It's so nice when life is good to you.

Oh man! I can't believe he's so old now! (I know, I know, 8 months. SO old, ha ha.) I hear you on the whole mess of emotions. 14 month old Emperor is super great and I love him, but I find that now that he's a year old, I am having INTENSE nostalgia for everything that happened at this time last year. Not that I enjoyed his infancy (sorry, I didn't!) but... yeah... lots of feelings.

And I'm so SO glad to hear things are going well for you PPDwise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Lily just turned 3 and last night she put herself to bed.
She came over, gave me a kiss and asked me to tuck her in.
I did...kept waiting for her to jump out and climb into my bed but she didn't!
Woo hoo!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Last night Walter woke up wanting to nurse every. single. hour. I think he must be having a growth spurt. He had his 2 week check-up yesterday and he is up more than a pound from his birth weight. I am so proud of my boobs. Anyway, no big news here, all we do is nurse, change diapers, nap, repeat. Occasionally there is screaming if I happen to be in the shower when the hunger hits. I just keep reminding myself that this extreme neediness is temporary, and that someday he will be 14 and want nothing to do with me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 am 
Saggy Butt

wow, a pound! go walter! go mittenboobs!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:30 pm 
And you never will.

Poopiebaby rolled from back to front for the first time today! Shortly after I started shopping for gates to keep him out of the kitchen.

Also, we're four days past the danger zone for chickenpox, so it looks like we managed to avoid them! Thanks for the healthy vibes everyone - it worked!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

hooray for rolling! way to go, poopiebaby!

& an extra hooray for no-chickenpox! what a relief that must be.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yay Lily! Yay Walter & your boobs! And yay to little rolling Peter!

Emperor Babykins is talking up a storm these days, though 95% of what he says still makes no sense. Most of his discernible words seem to start with BUH. Ball, block, balloon, boom, boat, and so on. He thinks every animal says CAAA CAAA (very close this his quack) except the cow, which says BAWWWWWW (?) and dogs which say WAFFFF or just FFFFF.

The other day he started pointing at this awesome picture I have of my burly biker dad holding up two little puppies and shouting POP POP! at it. Then he'll point to the dogs and go WAFFFF WAFFFFF. The first time he did it, it made me tear up, it was that sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mittenboobs! peter! emperor! so cute!

tzippy is now working on M sounds. most of the time she does this long moany "mmmmah mmmmah" sound, but twice today she looked right at me and said mama, clear as can be! i'm not claiming she's calling me mama yet, but it's nice to know she can say it. she also uses the "mmmah mmmah" sound for boobs, milk, i'm tired, i'm uncomfortable and PAY ATTENTION TO ME!

man, i love baby sounds. she's such a chatty little thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:49 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So the Emperor loves music and loves to dance and we play him basically everything we like. We are people of fairly eclectic music tastes, so he's heard a lot of stuff at this point.

Out of all of it, he has become insanely attached to the Petshop Boys. We have a DVD of a live Petshop Boys show and it is basically his favorite thing on earth.

I can only listen to the Petshop Boys for so many hours a day, so I've been experimenting with various songs on YouTube, trying to narrow down what he likes exactly... and it more or less comes down to dance music. The stupider, the better. Anything with a big unsubtle beat and he's clapping, dancing like crazy, signing MORE and PLEASE over and over.

It's kind of hilarious to watch, and makes up for the fact that I don't really care for a lot of dance music myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

uh I am pretty sure the Emperor dancin to the mothafuckin' Pet Shop Boys sounds like the cutest, funniest thing ever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Today is the little man's 18 month 'birthday' and he has gotten so old in the last few days. He is talking in little sentences- want my daddy/ more milk/ want toast turn (turn the knob that makes the toast which he wants)/ guiar (guitar) song song. He is running around my mother in laws ruling everyone in the house. His vocabulary is growing by several words a day and he is climbing and dancing and seems to be seconds away from his first somersault several times a day. I can't believe my baby is such a toddler (complete with raging temper tantrums)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:44 pm 
And you never will.

mr poopie just took poopiebaby for a walk for the first time. This is literally the first time I have not been within about 20 feet of him since he was born. I'm trying to enjoy it but I am also kind of freaking out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Wow! Do something grown-up, poopie!

Congratulations on the milestones, jildez!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

poopiebitch wrote:
mr poopie just took poopiebaby for a walk for the first time. This is literally the first time I have not been within about 20 feet of him since he was born. I'm trying to enjoy it but I am also kind of freaking out.

Congratulations!

My aunt in law took care of Kai in our hotel room this Sat while we went downstairs in the pool/jacuzzi. That was the farthest I'd been away from him yet and I barely made it an hour. I was like what is he doing is he ok auugh! I totally was *that parent* who can't stop thinking about the kid haha. It was nice to have a little time alone with my husband though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:01 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Livi is learning letters and numbers and she can write her name! She wrote "LIVI" for awhile but now she writes "ILVI" - the L,V,I and then she sticks another I in front. Songs I listen to a lot she sings along with sometimes.

Rach*n wrote:
My two year old has five cavities! She was really brave when they put in her fillings though.

Kid cavities are sad! They kept her awake??

Megan My Dear wrote:
At Disney World, a very nice employee gave henry a coupon for free pants after he peed in his because the parade leader wouldn't let him cross the street to the bathroom. I love pants coupons.

Super nice employee!!

coldandsleepy wrote:
About half of them are sound effects. He really likes to quack.

Hehehehe!

DLD wrote:
My little baby had a milestone today: first poop! He's 3 days old. We gave him a round of applause.

I didn't know you had a baby! Congrats! :)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 am 
Saggy Butt

poopiebitch wrote:

that is so awesome! alone time!

we left zelda with my dad for the first time this past week so we could go out. it was sooooo good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:35 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Maybe I am a heartless bisque. I've had lots of time away from Walter. The first few days, when he was in intensive care, I couldn't be with him 24/7, though I wanted to be. But since we've been home, I take any opportunity when Mr. Mitten is home to run errands and have some alone time, even if it's just running to the post office. It's necessary for my mental health.

Walter is 4 weeks old today, and I had to put him in 3 month clothes because the newborn pajamas are too short and too tight. Forget about newborn diaper covers. He is a giant!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mittenmacher wrote:
Maybe I am a heartless bisque. I've had lots of time away from Walter. The first few days, when he was in intensive care, I couldn't be with him 24/7, though I wanted to be. But since we've been home, I take any opportunity when Mr. Mitten is home to run errands and have some alone time, even if it's just running to the post office. It's necessary for my mental health.

Walter is 4 weeks old today, and I had to put him in 3 month clothes because the newborn pajamas are too short and too tight. Forget about newborn diaper covers. He is a giant!

I'm impressed he lets you leave at all. I would like more alone time but Kai cries when dad tries to watch him. He only lasted an hour with my aunt in law. Sometimes my mom can get him to sleep in her arms for up to 2 hrs but it's unpredictable so I can't really go anywhere. I think it is going to be a nightmare when I go back to work on Jan 11th.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:31 am 
Saggy Butt

zelda has her first tooth!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mittenmacher wrote:

I remember newborn clothes fitting Felix during one part of the week and by the end of the week they were humorously small on him.

It's so good you're getting alone time, Mitten! It's not at all heartless. If it keeps you healthy and happy it makes you a better parent. Unrelated, I like to call Walter, Walter-mitt. It makes me think of the show Fringe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

There are lots of fun milestones I could talk for days about (and I do in person) but the big update for Pea Pod is that she loves going to daycare. Even better, she calls Carol, her daycare provider, Grandma. I feel so blessed to have Carol. I love my grandma intensely and now Ophelia can have that. And, now that we live in Tacoma I live about an hour away from my aunt and uncle. They are by far my closest family and they were always my favorite aunt and uncle. I used to feel so bad about not having a mom to drop my kid off with or friends for my daughter. Ahhh, I can relax now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 108  Next