| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 136  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has 4 teeth coming in at the same time! No wonder she's been kind of a grump lately. She also seems perilously close to walking - lots of standing up and letting go of things these days.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Woah...lots happening there!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra has two of his two-year molars now, and the other two are not that far behind. He never had issues with his other teeth (besides the excessive drooling), but these really seem to be bothering him. He's biting down hard on his fingers and leaving marks. I've tried to give him things to chew on, but fingers seem to be what works for him. We'll all be happy when this is over!

The three of us usually go for a 2mi walk after work. We normally take Ezra in the jogging stroller, and he silently scowls for most of the trip without saying much. Well yesterday he was done with that thing, and pitched a big ol' fit and didn't want to go anywhere near the stroller. So I asked him if he wanted to ride on mama's back, and his eyes lit right up! I haven't worn him since he was 10-12 months because he's such a biggie, but I strapped the Boba on and away we went! It was awesome - and it's totally different wearing a toddler than a bub! He could see over my shoulders and interacted with us so much more than before (and I got to experience things like him trying to shove my head to the side and lean his entire body onto one shoulder every time a car went by. Every car.) Yeah, it was a tough walk, but it was a good workout!

Anyway. Our family's in a good place right now. It seems like we've been through a lot of crepe these past couple of years, but yeah, things are really good.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I feel rather disoriented, coming back to PPK-land after such a long hiatus. Who are you? Who am I?

Here's the place to start: my lovely now-9-months-old Ilse, happy with her veggies (that she cannot actually eat, but enjoys chewing on).

So, how's it goin' everyone? I'm going to try and catch up...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh my God, Ilse is gorgeous!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Flava, I am so happy things are so good for you and your family!

Crantastic, its so nice to see you! Ilse is beautiful!

My news today is that we had a playdate with a friend's baby who is just 2 weeks younger than Leela. Logan signed for hugs and kisses and kept trying to smooch Leela, and Leela kept pushing her away and motoring as fast as she could in the other direction. Does my kid have issues with intimacy?

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This week I have thought Grey was going through something developmentally and today he hardly wanted to breastfeed. I should rephrase. He normally can only see my boobs, nothing else in the world exists and he is happy to have his hand down my shirt, be pulling at my shirt, etc and today he ate so much less. Of course I am nervous he is weening instead of the fact that heis probably just acting like a regular baby.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Crantastic wrote:
I feel rather disoriented, coming back to PPK-land after such a long hiatus. Who are you? Who am I?

Here's the place to start: my lovely now-9-months-old Ilse, happy with her veggies (that she cannot actually eat, but enjoys chewing on).

So, how's it goin' everyone? I'm going to try and catch up...

D'awww. What a cutie! Hi Ilse! Hi Crantastic!

The Emperor's big development lately is that he thinks the word "poop" is hilarious. He works it into any conversation. "What do you want to buy at the farmer's market?" "We should buy carrots. AND POOP!!!! (hysterical laughter)" Oooooooh em geeee is it wearing on me guys.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:51 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Crantastic! Ilse! Oh she's beautiful! Welcome back!!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

hurrah! zahara can roll! from front to back anyways. not much else happening besides truckloads of cute. and reading about early teeth makes me thankful we're not at that stage yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Welcome back crantastic! She's beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:06 pm 

Ilse is gorgeous!

Flava, glad to hear that things are going well with you and the family. :)

lol@ Leela fleeing the kissing bandit. We went to a baby group thing about 2 weeks ago and Freya fell in love with this little boy, Oliver. She was squealing and reaching and doing the kissy face. Poor Ollie kept looking at his mom worriedly, wondering what this large, drooling creature wanted with him.

lb.. hope things are going okay with feeding.

Love the joy with all things poop. Baby G went through a phase where that's what she said she wanted for lunch every day.

Freya seems to be changing every day now. Baby G and Baby K are 4 and half years old now, so I think I'd forgotten a little how exciting this year from say 6-18 months is. So much development that you feel like if you blink, you'll miss something. It's early yet, but we're seeing the beginnings of waving bye-bye, we think.

She is sooooooooooo happy to be eating big people food at last. We've been pretty brave at letting her try things so far. Only one food has given her any trouble (oat cakes...she started to choke because she just couldn't soften it up). Yesterday, just she and I went out to lunch after a long trip to the park in the amazing super-fantastic, ohmygodthiscan'tbeengland weather. The waitress brought her some avocado and she had some of the crust from my pizza. She was in heaven.

Fell asleep today at 4:00 for 2 hours now. Trying to make some ambient noise so that she doesn't get into full-on night time sleep mode just yet and then wake up for tomorrow at 3:30 am.

Oh, favorite development....figuring out how to undo the velcro bit on her diapers! I don't think she knows what it does, exactly, but she knows that something opens/closes. Lordy.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:21 pm 

And...she is 6 months today!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Freya is such a cutie!!!! Hurrah for her 6 month birthday - you guys are pretty amazing, and hats off to you for working so hard to give her the best start possible. I hope things get easier from here on out.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:46 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yay, Freya! I think Malka has JUST figured out that she's wearing a diaper. She starts poking herself in the crotch when she notices it's time to be changed. She hasn't made any attempt at opening the diaper and we seem to have temporarily solved her diaper change escape routine by having her stand up and look at something on the wall while we change her.

Tofulish wrote:
My news today is that we had a playdate with a friend's baby who is just 2 weeks younger than Leela. Logan signed for hugs and kisses and kept trying to smooch Leela, and Leela kept pushing her away and motoring as fast as she could in the other direction. Does my kid have issues with intimacy?

Alright, I'm quoting this for two reasons. a) Is it normal for babies that age to have any idea what hugs and kisses are? Malka for sure has no idea and has never attempted to hug or kiss us. b) Is it normal for a kid to be actually expressive or responsive to signs/words at that age? We've been signing with Malka for months and she doesn't seem to have any clue what any of the signs mean yet (and we're only signing for really concrete things, like milk) and definitely she has never expressed any specific words at all. She is fairly dextrous I think - she claps purposefully, has a pincer grasp, holds onto drum sticks and will go over to the drum to hit it, etc., so I don't think it's a hand/arm control thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Frey-aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh too cute. Happy half a year refinnej!

Ariann, I think that what I've read is that most babies will start signing back closer to 10 months to a year. I think that a 7 month old (right? that's about Leela's friend's age?) signing is more of the exception than the rule.

My personal anecdote is that the Emperor didn't sign back until he was 14 months old-- well AFTER he had some spoken words. He seemed to understand the signs, and he had fine motor skills, he just... didn't sign back.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:02 pm 

For those using baby sign, when did you start with your babies? I bought some dvd, but haven't watched it yet. I might return it, I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:41 pm 
Semen Strong

After seeing Ada stand, Leela has spent the day pulling up on me and anything else she can find. She finally felt secure enough, and with the hubris of a 6 month old, grinned and let go. She crashed to the ground, but keeps on trying!

As far as signs, my friend's daughter Logan is exactly 6 months old and waves bye bye, and makes the bottle sign. Leela does none of them and doesn't appear to really understand them at all. I do think Logan is unusually early, because even our local baby sign class doesn't start teaching until the babies are 9 months old.

Kimba, I got a book on baby signs and I think the truth is that they're so easy and you can make them up yourself if you wanted. We do food, nurse, more, all done, Daddy, Mommy and up and that is it. We just introduced toilet because someone we met at a local art fair (with Ariann!) told us that that was very helpful for her daughter.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Will took two naps in his big crib today... 30 min and 1.5 hours! Totally unexpected. I'm going to chalk this up to the heat, but I wouldn't complain if it happens again!!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:17 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

tzipi started doing a new thing. we play fight and rough house a lot, and i'll poke her belly or give her a little love tap on the bum or something while she pretends to eat my face or jump on me. anyway, now sometimes i'll do something, and she'll run away giggling, find daddy, put on a sad face, and plaintively announce, "papa, mama touche moi!" the first time she did it, he made this big production of asking her "where mommy did touch you," and "bad mommy!" while grinning wickedly at me, and now it's her FAVOURITE thing to get mommy in trouble... then she comes back and tells me, "ne touche pas, mama!"

i find her attempts at social machinations so hilarious... i was dying today while she tried to pit me against daddy.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:43 pm 

Carlos was such a fuss-bucket today. It's hard being a baby.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:30 pm 

Thanks ladies. I too, am hoping for a slightly easier second half-year. I feel slightly empowered though (not sure that's the exact word I'm looking for) that we've survived delivery drama, special care, too little milk/too much milk/"boobies suck, I hate you mommy", not sleeping more than 90 minutes at a time, screaming gas pain, bland diets, plugged ducts, costochondritis, messed up girly parts and a guilt-tripping grandfather. Much of this still exists in our lives, but the addition of hugs and kisses, babble, screeches, laughter, and a sense of humor makes things so much more bearable. Sigh. She's way awesome. :)

On the hugs/kisses thing, it's not unusual at all for a 5/6 month old to be doing this, but I think some babies just skip this phase, so I wouldn't worry that your munchkin's abnormal or anything. Freya's developed a funny habit in the past month in that she gets much much more kissy when she's tired.

We've been doing signs here since about 4 months. I read that, before this age, most babies can't focus their gaze well enough to see the signs, so they are likely of little use. I've used them with lots of babies in group care settings though, so when signing with the older ones, the teeny babies would get a dose as well. I'm not sure that it made them sign any sooner, but who knows. Most of the kiddos I worked with before F showed a first sign about 10 or 11 months. Far and away, the most popular first sign for my little ones = "more" (either for food, or to mean "again"). I think we're only doing about 12 signs so far (mommy, pappa, more, all done, cup/drink, eat, grandma, thank you, bye-bye, sleep, book....hm, that's all I can remember). Freya hasn't made any attempts at signing, except perhaps bye-bye, but she definitely watches my hands and I'm pretty sure that she knows the sign for Pappa without me saying the words. Oh, I can't wait to see that first sign!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:34 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ilse and Freya are both so beautiful!

Tofulish wrote:
After seeing Ada stand, Leela has spent the day pulling up on me and anything else she can find. She finally felt secure enough, and with the hubris of a 6 month old, grinned and let go. She crashed to the ground, but keeps on trying!
I was wondering what she would do! If she keeps hanging out with older kids she's going to be walking by 9 months ;-)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician had his 4 month checkup this morning. 4 months! It has flown by way too forking fast ya'll.

He's off the charts for height but about 85th percentile (17.5 lbs) for weight. He was super flirty with everyone at the doctor's office and showed off all his baby-skills (rolling, bearing weight on his legs, holding his head up, grabbing items and stuffing them in his mouth, making dinosaur noises) over the span of about 90 seconds. He had his second dose of the vaccines he had at 2 months and did cry for about 60 seconds even though I was holding him and trying to stuff a boob in his mouth... so different from his brother, who never cared about that sort of thing as long as he had milk.

He has been doing a disconcertingly crawling-like floor swim over the past few days. He seems determined to get places. I'm not ready to deal with two mobile children, sooooo I'm hoping he's not as close he looks.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:16 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What a show-off! Sounds like the Magician is rather talented... but hoping he doesn't add crawling to his skill-set quite yet!

Will finally figured out that his thumb works better for sucking than the other fingers. He's been choking himself with the other fingers all weekend, but the thumb is super cute!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 136  Next