| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me convince my wife you can have a vegan baby!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello all!

My wife and I used to be vegan. Then she became pregnant and we went back to our terrible meat eating ways.

I desperately want to go vegan again as my body feels absolutely terrible and the lifestyle was amazing.

Our issue is that we want to make sure that our 1.5 year old boy gets the right kind of food he needs.

I'll definitely be reading through all the threads in this forum but I'm curious if anyone has any great books, youtube videos, websites that are must check out resources for bringing up a child vegan. We need to kickstart this as soon as possible for our health's sake!

Thanks so much!!

Vegajay

Post subject: Re: Help me convince my wife you can have a vegan baby!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I recommend Vegan for Life for the kiddo and for the two of you, as well. It's a very helpful book!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you for the recommendation! Will get it right away!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have 3 kids (8, 6, and 3) and a bun in the oven who have always been vegan (I've been vegan for 15-ish years). There was some controversy when my first was two and they tested him for everything (nutrient deficiencies, kidney and liver function, x-rays, etc.) and send us to a dietician and everything was fine. Nowadays when my kids have a check-up, we get such positive comments about their varied diet ("so nice to see kids that don't just have chicken nuggets every day for lunch").

I think there is a lot of pressure to 'get it right' when you're raising vegan kids, but I also don't think it's very tricky and that a healthy varied diet is all you need. (I took a course in nutrition earlier this year and some courses on childcare, etc. and the bits on veganism were really laid back and the courses were more focused on basic childhood nutritional needs (they need a bit more fat than adults and they need good sources of protein, calcium, and iron, and vitamins A, D, and C).)

Also, kind of OT, heart disease starts in childhood http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-disease-starts-in-childhood/ (and maybe even in the womb http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-disease-may-start-in-the-womb/) -- I was diagnosed with high cholesterol (like heart attack levels) at age 10 (we ate healthy food and whole grains and veggies and such, but we also ate meat, dairy, and eggs). This is one of the reasons I went vegan in the first place (I tried loads of different cholesterol-lowering diets and none of them worked) and one of the reasons I give people for raising vegan kids.

Anyway, http://nutritionfacts.org is one of my favourite websites for plant-based (vegan) dietary recommendations because he backs everything he says up with scientific studies and there is some kid-related stuff there, too.

Good luck, and be sure to take your ovaltine B12 supplement. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:18 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

+1 for Vegan for Life. One of the questions we specifically asked our pediatrician before we chose one was their thoughts about raising a child vegan. They thought it was no big deal, as long as we were careful to pay attention to the usual issues - all breastfed infants need a vitamin D supplement, choose iron-rich and/or iron-fortified foods when introducing solids, etc. Honestly, they were more relieved than anything that we were happy to follow the usual vaccination schedule.

One resource to look out for - Alice Callahan's "Science of Mom" book, which came out last year and is based on her blog of the same name, is very critical of vegan diets for babies, some of which is backed up by some studies that look at, for example, children raised on a macrobiotic diet. Her blog and book are meant to be evidence-based recommendations, and I believe she herself is trained in the nutritional sciences, which makes it all the more troubling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

+2 to Vegan for Life.

I also mentioned the fact that we're vegan at my daughter's 1 year appointment and he just shrugged and said it wasn't a big deal as long as I feed her iron-rich foods.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:48 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yes go get Vegan for Life. i think any vegan of any age should read it but it also has a great science based section on kids nutrition.
my 3 year old daughter has pretty bad sensory based feeding issues and is tiny tiny tiny and of all the many medical providers we've seen none have ever had an issue with her being vegan.
all they care about is that she is getting the nutrients she needs.

B12 is the big one for vegans but a lot of vegan foods are fortified. a lot of types of nutritional yeast are fortified.
when buying plant milk just make sure to read the label. some are fortified with B12 some are not.

i buy Silk soymilk because it's fortified with B12 and D2 (which is vegan) and also soy is calorically & nutritionally denser than almond which for my kid matters. some plant milks have D3 in it which isnt vegan but to some people that is splitting hairs. if the Silk one had D3 instead of D2 i would still personally buy it but just an FYI.
the Whole Foods boxed soymilk also is fortified with B12

kids are hard to feed regardless of whether they are omni or vegan but it seems like a lot of vegan kids have a better range of things they will eat rather than chicken nuggets and goldfish crackers.
i mean my kid will (occasionally) eat tofu and quinoa. how many omni parents can say that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

LisaPunk wrote:
i mean my kid will (occasionally) eat tofu and quinoa. how many omni parents can say that?

Tofu (preferrably plain, uncooked tofu) is one of the few foods my tiny breathitarian child (M) will always eat, and E's always liked it took. Kids, so weird!

I've been vegan since before I had either child, both kids eat vegan 90+% of the time (their other parent is vegetarian, so they sometimes eat cheese etc), nothing's wrong with either of them physically, and they're very smart and lovely children (not just my personal bias).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Raising Vegetarian Children is another good book option. I like vrg.org for nutrition information. My son is currently also a breathitarian, but he ate an amazingly varied and nutritious diet back when he actually ate food.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:46 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

An excellent resource: http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/newp ... egans.html