| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This may sound selfish, but I asked my sister to babysit the babes tonight (when they're all asleep) so that I can go out with their dad (I haven't done that in a long time). It would be for about 3 hours. She's leaving for France in 2 weeks for a year. You think that the one rare time I ask her (maybe the 2nd time in almost 6 years), she could say yes? Our usual babysitter is unreliable, and I am starting to look for another one this week. Well she flat out said no. "I can give you $$ to pay for one." ???? Money isn't the issue. It's having someone familiar that the youngest loves and will be happy to see if he wakes up when I'm gone. But such is my selfish sister.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I am happy to wake up in the middle of the night and nurse you, even for hours if that is what you need. But could you please not use your supersharp baby nails to claw at my other boob?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oi, Tofulish..we are having that trouble too. I clip F's nails twice a week and still can't keep up! Twice a week...jeezus! I have a long thin scratch that K noticed a couple of days ago and said something like "what happened here?". Freya happened there. Better than last night when she bit by accident, causing me to gasp, and then did it again, on purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm not one to judge other parents often - I'm hardly mother of the year.

But yesterday at Disneyland I saw some guy yelling at his preteen-ish kid to "stop being such a rhubarb." They were taking a family photo (I'm not sure what the kid was even doing that bothered his father (?) so much, nothing I could see) and he yelled that a couple of times, loud enough to be heard at least 30 feet away. I know parenting can be frustrating sometimes, but.. I hope he felt the full weight of my glare and felt enough shame to apologize to the kid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm 

I realize I'm lucky in that I'm a nanny and not a parent and I can go home to my child-free home and drink a beer alone in a quiet room when I'm done but...lately more than half of awake time (like literally, more than half) at least one of the twins is crying and screaming and thrashing around on the floor and I just feel like I can't deal anymore. I have worked with so many kids and so many kids exactly their age (25 months now) and other twins their age, but they are the most difficult children I have ever worked with. It is amazing that they can scream and cry and kick things and throw themselves on the floor and kick me and whatnot for hours at a time and I have no idea what's wrong. We have great moments too and I do love them a lot, and I'm hoping that when they learn more words things will get better, but after a day like today quitting is so tempting even though everything else about the job is perfect--good hours, they're in my neighborhood, I like the family, paid time off, etc.

At least I have the option of quitting though! It's funny, all my other nanny jobs have made me want my own kids more...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I posted about this already in the Yard but we had to let one of our cats go this morning. I can't even really talk about without getting hysterical and I had to come in to work, but I'm finding that Dahlia doesn't quite believe me when I say Hoya isn't coming back. And I'm worried about telling her any specifics because it was due to a stomach tumor and I'm afraid she's gonna connect it with her own recent tummy problems or something. Also I didn't even get to say goodbye to him because I had to stay with the kids and I feel horrible about that...poor H took care of it for us and he couldn't stop crying in the dr's office either.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mr Crabby went grocery shopping today with Beet and I thought I could get a ton of work done today with Raygold. Oh, no. Apparently, it is easier to take care of two kids than one because Raygold just wanted my attention pretty much for 7 hours straight and I was so tired, I just went along with all his shizzle to avoid a meltdown (fine, we can have the dehumidifier on; okay, let's stay in the green bedroom all day; you don't want PBJ after all, it has to be cinnamon toast? sure; go ahead and put the bucket on the table and sit in it, great idea; etc.). Not a bad day, it just would have been nice to get something done (although I did manage to finish seaming Beety's birthday sweater and do one load of laundry). Mr Crabby and Beety came home at 5 and even though I was not working at full capacity (they both had lots to tell me), I still managed to fold a ton of laundry and start another load and maybe I can get 20 mins of exercise in before it's their bedtime.

Sorry about your cat, Audrey.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:00 pm 

Audrey, I'm sorry to hear that. It's so hard to know what to tell little ones. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

:( audrey, i'm so sorry. i'm dreading if something happens to our cats because tzipi loves them to bits.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Audrey, I'm so sorry about your kitty. Grief is one of the hardest parts of parenting. It's so amazingly hard to feel your own grief while trying to help kids understand and deal with the pain. So hard to find a balance of helping them feel their emotions but also to continue with life.

We're still mourning our dog, Three. Silas will tell us here and there that he misses him and wishes we had a doggy friend still and it just crushes me. Shae just breaks down crying every time he even thinks of Three or getting a new dog. It's so hard. We just do a lot of remembering happy times and retelling funny stories and trying to feel thankful for the time we had with him.

I hope you all are doing okay <3

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So sorry, Audrey. Poor Hoya and poor Dahlia.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 pm 

I'm so sorry Audrey.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:37 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh I'm so sorry Audrey.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending many good thoughts to you and your family, Audrey, and condolences on Hoya's passing.

Kelly, thank you for sharing your experiences, I imagine that shepherding children through their first significant losses is really hard, and it sounds like you're doing a great job keeping them feeling supported.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:05 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

thank you all so, so much. One thing that has made me smile is that when I posted the sad news on Facebook, so many different people from various stages of my life remembered him fondly - I'd forgotten just how many met him and played with him. I keep forgetting to let my husband who lived with this cat for 4 years know, it's been a few years since he saw Hoya but still. And this is silly but before we had kids, when H would have his winters off from work and spent a lot of lonely time hanging with the cats, he used to take tons of photos of them so at least I'll always have those too.
it's weird but Dahlia doesn't seem sad at all. She's very matter-of-fact about it when I say I miss him or mention that we need to give his brother extra love and attention at this time. I'm just going to be on the lookout for any different behavior as I expect any grief she's feeling may manifest itself in some random way.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

V's been sneezing this morning, so I think she might've picked up something at baby gym or the play cafe. It's not the end of the world, but it's been so long since she caught anything that I've been spoiled. Hope it's just allergies!!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Having a dog and a toddler feels really hard to me sometimes. I spend so long getting the kiddo ready to go out, and in the meantime, the poor dog is desperate to go, so he's getting underfoot and knocking things over. Then when I finally get them both pointed in the same direction, it is really hard to have to watch both of them as they seem to move at vastly different speeds - Leela is going so fast and Cuddles just wants to sniff everything leisurely and pee on things, so I find myself having to drag a 70lb dog as I chase a 30lb toddler. A simple dog walk seems to eat up my entire day - by the time we're back its lunch and a nap.

They are supercute together, but I'd love advice on how to better manage the two of them.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you obviously need to hitch them together.

[if only it were that easy, right?]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Is Leela interested in "helping" you get Cuddles ready? I'd get her ready first (shoes and coat on) then ask Leela to get Cuddle's leash while you grab what you need (keys, phone, water, etc).

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

gaaaaaah we just tried to get Sierra's blood drawn for her one-year check-up (lead testing and all that.) This was at one of those lab places and they tried twice and just couldn't do it. The first time they said they couldn't find her vein and she was getting all upset so they said "can you give her a bottle of water to calm her down?" and I said "uh I can nurse her" and they acted a little put-off and left us alone and drew the curtain. Fine, she nursed a bit and calmed down but when they came back (after saying from the other side of the curtain "Are you DECENT?") and started tying her off, she got all upset again. These people actually said stuff like "Oh you're SO upset!!", because babies generally like being poked by strangers? I mean, have they ever MET a baby?
So now I don't know what to do. I feel like yes, she is a bit hard to handle and all that, but isn't that supposed to be a common occurrence for someone working at these lab places?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey, everyone knows bottles of water calm babies down. These are medical professionals, after all. ;p
"Are you decent?" -- OMG, are they related to my parents or something? God forbid someone in the medical community sees a BOOB!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

haha, it took me three tries reading that before i figured that they meant, "baby bottle" (as in, normally the baby gets formula, and you can give the baby water in between feedings). i kept picturing you offering your baby a regular plastic bottle of aquafina or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Audrey, we had a very similar experience and my take away is that I am never putting another child of mine through that at that age. We will have her tested for anemia at a sane age when we can explain it to her and they can do a finger prick easily.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 am 
Semen Strong

Ugh we have L's 18 month appt, and might have to have the testing done today. She was too chubby to find a vein last two times.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am 
Married to the wolfman

Is the veinipuncture thing just for lead testing...? I'm just curious because no one's ever suggested it for either of my kids. (They've both had the finger stick for iron, but that's like... A world of difference. It's over in about five seconds.)

And yes, I know when I'm stressed, nothing soothes me like a nice bottle of water. YUM.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 172  Next