| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 206  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 am 
Nooch of Earl

I used to eat two breakfasts before I had kids and ran a few miles a day.. I'd eat a little breakfast, go for a leisurely run, and then cook a delicious hot second breakfast…it was glorious.

Sorry, I'm not being helpful. But you did set off my pre-child schedule freedom reminiscence!

Anyway, I agree. It's possible that they're just being inconsiderate rather than deliberately hostile - I find that even with a 3 year old I've forgotten a lot of the constraints of having a littler one, so I'm sure i'll forget all the little kid considerations in time… but I'm sure your in-laws can find a way to get to the parks without car sharing.. Taxis sound like a tiny fraction of the cost of the trip, and splitting up sounds like the best option for everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

These are two full breakfasts and two full dinners. Its crazy :)

I was thinking of the taxi option also that annak suggested. Don't feel like you have to go to the park with them everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

seriosuly Tlish why cant Leela just act like a 9 year old. oh wait it's because of all the spoiling you do!!!

(drenched in sarcasm im sure you realize!!!)

is it possible for you guys to go off on your own once you're in the park or do they insist everyone stay together???
i dont think you could have a more difficult groups of various ages unless you threw a teenager in there. i mean they are literally all about 4 years apart which is a HUGE leap in development. the 9 year old isnt gonna want to sit around and do "baby stuff" and poor Leela just cant do the bigger stuff or is too short!

ugh. sounds awful. im literally wanting to punch things reading your description of the goings-on. i think you deserve major kudos for not stabbing anyone yet with all the sharp knives they leave around.
that is JUST RUDE to leave knives laying around and doors open. SHE IS A TODDLER!!! toddler's #1 goal in life is to find everything new and interesting and touch it and poke it and explore it or go towards it AT TOP SPEED and the things they want to touch the most are always the things they are not allowed!!!! it's not because she isnt well behaved its because she is TWO!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! honestly i wouldnt even leave knives laying around where a 5 year old can get them. or a NINE YEAR OLD! put the damned knives away!!!!!!

if you can sneak off by yourselves do you think she would like meeting the characters? i dont remember what its called (Mickey Town or something?) but there are some "houses" where the characters hang out and you can meet them. i totally did it as an adult cause i am literally 12 years old stuck in a 36 year old body.

this makes me think it may actually be fun to take BP there one day.......

i hope you guys can have some fun during this trip and that your head doesnt implode from nonsense.
worst comes to worst you guys can ditch them and go protest at sea world!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you all for the support! I really appreciate the advice and perspective and you're all so right! I think we just have to go our own way, because traveling with a preschooler is supremely annoying. I love L to bits, but she is so unpredictable - all the "kidfriendly" multi-million dollar rides in Epcot made her cry (even Nemo and Living with the Land) because they had dark patches. The only one that didn't was the Mexican Gran Fiesta because it was basically like Small World and never got dark. She loved running around the aquarium, running around a plastic pretend house, a fire truck (like the one at the fire station around the corner from our house that we go to for free every week) and getting her face painted ($18), which were the highlight of her trip. And she begged to see Minnie, Pluto etc, so we waited for 20 minutes to get a picture with Pluto and then she burst into tears and wouldn't go near him. Same for the Character Pavilion - we did Fast Pass and she was super-psyched until she saw Mickey, Goofy and Minnie. We did get cute pictures of her with Snow White and Minnie and she totally refused to go anywhere near Goofy and Donald.

So, TL;DR, Epcot for L was kind of a bust.

And its 90F, humid and blazing sunshine, so she is alternately exhausted, hot, overwhelmed and overstimulated, which is a bad combination. We headed in at 11 am today, and planned to meet my stepsister and their family, and of course no one could find anyone, so cue the recriminations. We had a nice 30 minutes together with the fish, and then when we all went to eat, my stepsister decided it was too pricey (which it is! The only thing that worked for me was a $9.99 avocado roll (so I ate a power bar)) and that we should all leave and go home to eat and then to a water park. Except that they'd been there for 4 hours and we'd been there for about an hour. And parking is $20 and we hadn't seen anything and we had just bought food and her boys wanted to go on rides that would not be suitable for L. So we said we'd stick around, and she said we should meet them later, and we said "No thank you." And then she accused me of attacking her and stomped off in a huff.

The thing is that we really just can't do the same things they do, and all your posts, esp Jenna's made that clear to me. Of course, I told my stepmother that the 7 year age difference meant that L and the boys were interested in different things and she told me that that was rubbish. The boys are already reading Harry Potter and are in school and very into science. L is into running around, destroying things, eating sugar and rolling on the ground "making friends." Its definitely not that anyone is being a jerk - its just that Disney is hard to negotiate at the best of times because there is SO MUCH stuff, its hot, humid and expensive, you have to wait for things, and its loud and a bit overwhelming, and they have a long list of "Must Sees" for their family and they want to have us all do it all together, which doesn't work for L.

So tomorrow we are just going our own way and working our day around L. Because I don't want to spend my vacation pulling a melting down toddler towards a "meeting point" to go on a ride that terrifies her when she just really wants to splash in water or go on the tea cups or the Magic Carpet (which she is mad for).

If I had it to do over, I would probably have saved Disney for a few more years or not gotten 10 days of passes and just hung out in the house in the lovely pool, gone to a park every other day and just kept it far more mellow.

ImageDSC_0121-001

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am really sorry your trip is kind of sucking, but that picture is fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

$18 for face painting!? OMG! Its worth it though because I love how happy she is in that pic. I also feel like $20 parking is cheap but I also live a few miles from nyc. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ten days?! Pretty sure I would not make it more than two.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:02 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, TEN DAYS of disney?? For real? I felt like I was DONE after two in a row (we got the military 3 day passes, which are a great deal, but even that I had to split into two trips to maintain sanity).

Good for you for going off on your own to have fun at L's speed. It's so sad to see those families who are marching their kids around theme parks determined to have The Vacation Of A Lifetime while the kids are just crying and clearly have had too much, all surly at each other. That's why I like season passes so much with a toddler, for places near home - if you go there and have 90 minutes of fun, everyone can call it a success and go home without any hard feelings. Trying to travel and spend $$$$$ for theme park tickets when no one's having fun is just a recipe for unhappiness all around.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:43 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Someday we should have a PPK Disney trip and just all go together and be awesome and do whatever we/the PPKids want.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

tlish, i am so sorry to hear about this. i was afraid to comment because my own trip with my own family was so similar and i could write volumes, but you all don't deserve that....

i did want to say, don't feel bad about Leela not being into the rides. She's so little!!! I brought Baggy to disney with my family when she was 7, and thanks to us going to seaworld first (a whooooole nother rant right there) and my brother immediately absconding with her and taking her on a roller coaster for adults, she was TERRIFIED about all the other rides for the rest of the trip. She had the most memorable crying meltdown as we were boarding Pirates of the Caribbean, and i can only thank some kind hearted southern-drawling stranger woman who turned around in the boat and took Baggy's hand and smiled and told her "honey this ride is wonderful and not scary at all and I can personally promise you will leave it smiling and singing" otherwise Baggy would have gone on No Bloody Rides At All.

God now I need a tranquilizer. hang in there kiddo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, there is a lot of pressure to have it be the Vacation of A Lifetime!

We made sure L had a Super-Awesome Day and just did exactly what she wanted. So it was incredibly boring. We rode Dumbo 2x, rode Aladdin's Magic Carpet 3x (she likes the spitting camel), enjoyed Small World (she loves it! Its like a loud acid trip for us but whatevs), played in a few small play spaces, did the Winnie The Pooh ride, tea cups and the Jungle Cruise again and met so many characters. Fast Pass was great - we didn't wait for long anywhere except to meet Pooh and Tigger (25 minutes). Of course, she was so excited when she met the characters that she couldn't sit still so our pictures are blurry and kind of terrible. But she had a great time.

We also ate Dole Whip, which is vegan and epically delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:47 am 
Nooch of Earl

Do they have the gumbo place there? Because supposedly it's vegan and the gumbo was excellent. I'm so bummed that I missed the Dole Whip! Oh, and if they have the Mickey-shaped pretzels I think I read those were vegan as well at Disneyland, so maybe there too?

I'm glad she had a better day! It's so awesome to see them having fun at their own pace in parks like that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:23 am 
Cranky

Dole Whip isn't vegan! It has gelatin (or at least it did last time I looked).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:44 am 
Cranky

http://www.dolesoftserve.com/prod-info.cfm

Ah, looks like they changed the recipe several times. Good to go now!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:06 am 
Nailed to the V

It's interesting that you did everything Leela wanted and it all went great. Why take a trip with other people? If your dynamic is to do everything your child wants then group outings are never going to work. Both sides need to be flexible and compromise is necessary. Is it about age or general flexibility? Maybe both? I'm sorry you're out so much money but glad you had one good day in there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:24 am 
Semen Strong

Yes, the Dole Whip is vegan! I checked in so many places, because I am so paranoid and then I asked to check the box the mix comes in. It is so delicious, and its soooooooo hot right now, so I ate 2 of them yesterday, along with fries for lunch. The kiosk is always packed (its in Adventure Land by the Swiss Family Robinson Tree) and the float is actually pretty reasonable and delicious. Every restaurant has a binder with all the food ingredients and possible concerns in it, and if you ask, they give you the book go to over, so that was really nice.

ImageDSC_0068

And we took a trip with family, because I really wanted to see our family and I've never been to Disney before. I thought it would work differently - we'd have a fair bit of time together, and would be able to meet up easily in the park. But it has been really hard meeting up anywhere, because its really loud, cell service has been spotty for us, and we keep missing each other (its very crowded) and then everyone is annoyed because its so hot to stand outside. The family time in the pool and at dinner has been very nice, but my stepsister really wants to get the most out of the Disney experience and they are really scheduled and most of the rides she really wants to do won't accommodate Leela (too scary, height restriction). I don't blame her at all - I'd rather do Space Mountain and Splash Mountain than Small World and Aladdin's Carpet and pictures with Minnie Mouse, but at least in my experience, 2 year olds are pretty terrible at being flexible and compromising :) I know you have a four year old, so clearly everyone has a different experience,though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
We made sure L had a Super-Awesome Day and just did exactly what she wanted. So it was incredibly boring.

OMG quoted for truth!

can i just say how long i sat in the mall play area this morning while BP continually tried to climb up a slide? any time i tried to take her away she turned on freak out mode.
zzzzzzz. life at the speed of toddler!!

that pic is super adorable even though she's not looking at the camera. she looks so HAPPY!!!!!

what on earth is Dole Whip? it looks like ice cream??? ive never heard of it and now me want!

EDIT: also you guys are WAY better at finding veg*n food at Disney. i remember one time we went pregan we went to Epcot cause it's supposed to have all sorts of different foods right? i ended up eating super expensive fettucine alfredo and got really ill cause im lactose intolerant.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:59 pm 
Semen Strong

And she has an incredibly high fever and just vomited all over our bed. Oh joy.

It was 106F outside, and I am worried that maybe the heat really just got to her. Pro-tip: Florida in August is hot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh my goodness, Disney in August just set you up for a bad vacay! I feel for you guys! It's not quite as hot up here where I live and Shae had to leave work, soccer reffing, yesterday early because the heat was getting to him so badly. Poor Leela, I hope she makes a quick recovery and is able to have some fun. Being sick on vacation is such a bummer. Actually, Shae caught strep there once when he was 8. We spent a night in the ER after a 105 fever and puking on the table at Rainforest Cafe! The thing he remembers most about that trip? The endless stream of overpriced slushies & popsicles.

We took the boys twice when Silas was around Leela's age, 3 days when he was 18 months (Spring break) and then 7 days when he was 2 1/2 (First week of May- best time ever to go to Disney!). We have to tackle theme parks in a fair way since we have such a huge age gap, so our method is usually 1 younger thing/1 older thing. We'll sometimes do the ride swap deal on the older rides, but other times he needed to nurse or run around so I'd take a break with him, which is fine because I get motion sickness and need breaks too. We are the types to go full force with trips, so we stayed from open to close most days in the parks (and stayed on property, budget hotels, no parking fees, buses, so easy.).

I wish I had seen you were coming sooner, I would have unloaded a pile of tips on you! Silas' sensory issues were pretty fierce both of those trips, but with some help from his OT, we found so many little tweaks that made the trips pretty amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tofulish, you are brave and awesome! I'm glad you got to take a day and do Leela-centric stuff. It's so true that the urge to be with extended family can make vacation time really hard; you have my sympathies. Mr. Scandi and tiny wu and I are at his brother's (plus wife and 3 kids) in NJ for a couple days after a month out west before heading back to Denmark, and this is definitely the part of the trip I'm not so keen on. While they are in no way approaching the horribleness your family put you through, they're not real willing to compromise either.

I hope L feels better soon! And phooey on the timing--we could have had a NJ playdate if our schedules were just a bit different.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:49 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks Kelly and Scandivegan! It was really hot! I'd love the tips - I'd never been to Disney and stupidly just assumed it was designed for kids so it would work for all ages (DERP!!!). And SV, I hope your stay in NJ is really nice - I'm sorry we won't be there to see you and Tiny Wu, but I hope you find lots of nice kid-friendly things to do! I hope we can get that playdate another time!

Its funny that you mention the Rainforest Cafe, Kelly! We went to Animal Kingdom with extended family from Fl (including my 91 year old uncle) and were told that it was the only place that could seat 14 and has a vegan burger. We got there at 1:30, waited for over an hour for a table for 14, and had my stepmother storm out of the restaurant yelling at the staff because when they finally sat us, they said they couldn't seat a table of 14, so they sat us in 2 tables of 6 and 8. The Rainforest Cafe is probably the loudest place I've ever eaten, and my anxiety was really high, plus L was fake coughing and refusing to eat (and already had a temperature), and we just bolted our food and left at 3:30. We went to Animal Kingdom yesterday, and literally, apart from an hour at the beginning in Dino Land, spent 2 hours, trying to rush about finding members of our family at various rides. Everyone was late to things, so we'd get somewhere at the appointed hour and get a text that they'd gone somewhere else (in a completely different section of the park) and to meet them there. And then we spent 2 hours trying to get food.

The burger was really good, though! The staff member wouldn't assure me that it was vegan, but I looked at the ingredient list and it was clearly vegan and I checked online and it was vegan (as long as you leave off the sauce) and I left off the bun just to be doubly sure.

And Leela loved Dino Land for the Tricera-Tops ride and the Bone Yard and she enjoyed seeing all the animals. I just need to learn the lesson that we can't do anything with our family, because it just doesn't work.

We were up all night with her, with a high fever and vomiting, and this morning, my family didn't express any concern for her or us, but was just annoyed that we weren't going to the waterpark with them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, that's really hard without reservations. If it helps any, I wouldn't be able to do Disney with family either. It's just too big and too difficult to organize in a place like that. That's just a recipe for disaster. It's hard to meet other peoples expectations and your own at the same time. Hope it gets easier for you all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:11 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ohhh poor Leela (and poor parents!) i hope she feels better soon and it's just the excessive heat.
when we went to Niagara Falls for a graduation BP was kinda meh the whole time and puked once all over the hotel bed which i was completely mortified about and then later that day again all over me while i was sitting in my in laws car while on a winery tour that i was pretty much forced to go on so i wasnt a party pooper even though i said 1000 times i didnt want to go.
she just had a little bit of a fever and was basically meh the whole time so it wasnt horrible but i remember toting her around the actual falls in the ergo and she was just not a happy camper.

hopefully with some rest and rehydration she will feel better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:46 pm 
Semen Strong

I mentioned to my stepsister that I thought L was sick either from the heat or a possible UTI, so nothing contagious for her kids. Her response "Well, my children have never had anything like that. I guess my children are used to being outside when its warm out and wear underwear." Because clearly somehow my kid being sick is my fault.

And her 5.5year old and her 9 year old both asked me independently why we never wait for them. Even though they leave the house at least 2 hours before we manage to, we have always been exactly where we were told to show up and they've been the ones who have changed our plans or neither of us has seen the others, despite both insisting that we were exactly where we said we would be. My DSS and DSM didn't get US cell plans, so its hard to text and the service in Disney hasn't worked well for us at all.

Also, L is insisting that her cousin is her sister and wants her to live with us for ever.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
I mentioned to my stepsister that I thought L was sick either from the heat or a possible UTI, so nothing contagious for her kids. Her response "Well, my children have never had anything like that. I guess my children are used to being outside when its warm out and wear underwear." Because clearly somehow my kid being sick is my fault.

what in the???????????????

im pretty sure you have entered a portal to bizarro land. that is the only explanation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 206  Next