| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 206  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Impetigo is really rough (and disgusting). We did not do bleach baths, the antibiotics seemed to do the trick and it did not come back. I think almost everyone has staph on their skin all the time, it is just opportunistic when there are scratches on the skin or if the kid is otherwise run down.

Will Alice eat yogurt? Can you give her the probiotics with the antibiotics? Are they liquid or powder?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

It's hit or miss with yogurt. She hasn't been eating large amounts of anything lately. I mixed some in applesauce and she ate it yesterday but today was a no go. Probiotics are powder and the antibiotics are liquid. We are having trouble getting all of the antibiotics in her to begin with so I'm not sure mixing the probiotics in will work. But that's a good idea. Maybe we'll try it later.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Getting medicine into a toddler is tough stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ugh. I'm sorry Sashi! I would be worried about thrush too but maybe you'll be spared.

We just suffered through coxsackie. I had no idea how awful that really was when you and Tofulish vented about it. Such a long contagious period! We had major cabin fever and she had to miss over a week of school, which means my partner missed a week of work. Ouch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:53 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Ariann wrote:
Can you give her the probiotics with the antibiotics?
I can't be the only one who had a tiny laugh over combining probiotics with antibiotics...can I? Will they just declare a stalemate?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

antibiotics kill off ALL bacteria in your gut and the probiotics help replenish the beneficial bacteria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:41 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

A particularly self-absorbed relative just called my mother to complain that I haven't sent a thank you note/made a thank you call for the SIXTEENTH gift she sent that arrived four or five days ago. (Remember my kid is only about four months old, so that's about a gift a week.) So we've got 1) way too many gifts, 2) complaining about an adult's behavior to her mother, 3) no concept of how busy parents of babies are.

I'm contemplating shredding the stuffed animal and sending it back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't agree with calling your mom, and honestly, without email, Facebook, or text messages, I probably wouldn't get thank yous out either, but at least that way I can even send a couple sentence message quickly, just saying I got it and thanks. I'm not a phone or letter sending type person at all (I did send out thank you cards for my shower though).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:19 pm 

I already told her the box arrived! I just haven't officially thanked her yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We got out wedding thank yous within a couple weeks, but completely failed to send baby gift thank yous. After 6. Months we decided we reached the statute of limitations. A relative reamed out my husband at the next holiday about it. I would like the actual words "thank you" spoken to a person's face to suffice! I did not crawl out of the baby chaos hole to she was a year old, you think I am going to waste precious time writing you ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We got out wedding thank yous within a couple weeks, but completely failed to send baby gift thank yous. After 6. Months we decided we reached the statute of limitations. A relative reamed out my husband at the next holiday about it. I would like the actual words "thank you" spoken to a person's face to suffice! I did not crawl out of the baby chaos hole to she was a year old, you think I am going to waste precious time writing you ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ooof, does she want a trophy or something? That is some excessive gifting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really need to figure out some different storage solutions for toys and art supplies and all that crepe. We had a system that worked when it was just Inez using stuff (open bins on shelves), but now Greta is fully in that take-all-the-things-out-of-their-containers-wheeeee! stage and I just feel like all I do is pick up hundreds of small objects over and over all day long.

Also, I really want to use this as an excuse to justify purchasing a new entertainment center with doors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:57 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

mollyjade wrote:
A particularly self-absorbed relative just called my mother to complain that I haven't sent a thank you note/made a thank you call for the SIXTEENTH gift she sent that arrived four or five days ago. (Remember my kid is only about four months old, so that's about a gift a week.) So we've got 1) way too many gifts, 2) complaining about an adult's behavior to her mother, 3) no concept of how busy parents of babies are.

I'm contemplating shredding the stuffed animal and sending it back.

Tell her not to feel bad, that baby hasn't gotten around to writing ANYONE a Thankyou note and you're starting to feel a bit resentful about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pinko wrote:
I really need to figure out some different storage solutions for toys and art supplies and all that crepe. We had a system that worked when it was just Inez using stuff (open bins on shelves), but now Greta is fully in that take-all-the-things-out-of-their-containers-wheeeee! stage and I just feel like all I do is pick up hundreds of small objects over and over all day long.

Also, I really want to use this as an excuse to justify purchasing a new entertainment center with doors.

I've been using this system from the Container Store for art and craft supplies: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/smartStore

It's not my usual aesthetic but we needed some containers that aren't kid accessible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mollyjade wrote:
I already told her the box arrived! I just haven't officially thanked her yet.

I guess she's just old school? Plus, she keeps sending gifts, which if you're expected to write thank you cards for, that's sooooo overwhelming. I wouldn't have written a thank you yet either. I'd probably wait until they trickled off, because totherwise you'd know you'd have to keep writing notes!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:42 am 

We're currently drafting the "please don't buy things without talking to us" email. We have a tiny house and can't store all this stuff people are sending. And Jonah has more clothes than he can wear. Before we culled he had enough to wear two outfits every day and not repeat anything for more than a month. It's absurd.

I know sending gifts is this relative's way of bonding, but she's just going to have to learn to talk to us instead.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont know if this should go here or on the facebook thread but it's parenting related so ill put it here.

i shared an article today on "nighttime parenting" which was sort of about cosleeping but also about basically just responding to kids at night and letting them crawl into your bed if they are scared.

we cosleep with BP out of necessity. she wakes like a million times a night. she's a terrible sleeper, always has been. i dont see any world in which trying to get her to sleep in a crib would have worked out with out major trauma to her. and i say this specifically about HER. not about other kids or other peoples' situations.

when i posted the link i said something like "this article does a good job explaining why i let the world's worst sleeper sleep in our bed and wake me 100x a night. obviously she needs something from me and i know it will pass someday"

it was literally a comment on our own situation and not on anyone elses. i literally DO NOT CARE what other people do.

so my crazy SIL who is literally the polar opposite of me who NEVER comments on ANYTHING on my facebook or likes anything or ANYTHING feels that THIS is the thing she needs to comment on because obviously it was a direct attack on her.

so she says how my nephews never slept with them unless they were sick and there is nothing wrong with them and good luck to us but she believes her bed is HER bed for her space and her husband.

ok.....again I DONT CARE.
i usually dont post links on fb for this exact reason. no matter how benign something is someone always gets pissed off.

heres the article
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/meagan-francis/why-i-believe-in-nighttime-parenting_b_6031044.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That is frustrating LP. I have a SIL that think everything I post is directly written to her, for her, about her...I started hiding most of my posts from her to avoid the comments. If she has realized that she has been banned she hasn't said anything!

My weekend was spent experiencing my 2 year olds first stomach bug. SO MUCH VOMIT. I feel like my weekend was stolen from me. Poor little guy is doing better now. I was seriously annoyed though that he REFUSED to barf in the bucket I had for him - he would push it away and puke in his lap (or on my rug) instead. WHY????????

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah it's super frustrating mainly cause she never ever says ANYTHING on my fb but every once in a great while comments something super negative on some random thing. she is one of those people who think everyone is attacking her and she is also a great expert on everything (in her mind) and is never wrong so i shouldn't be surprised but UGH.

i am so of the opinion that people should do whatever works for their family so i was just sharing something i found interesting because it works for us. AHHHH!!!!!

and that sucks about all the pukage. especially the not puking in the bucket :-( i think sick kids are the worst because when they are young they cant tell you what's wrong and you're so limited on what you can give them for meds. i hope the bebe doesnt get it (or the parents!) and he is puke free soon! poor little guy :-(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Why can't certain older relatives of mine stop talking about 4 year olds having crushes on each other? My 4 year old daughter plays with a lot of boys at preschool. She plays with girls too, but she mostly talks about playing with a couple boys. Which is fine, of course. But, certain older relatives have to talk about how that one boy "seems to have a crush on her" and one even asked "which one is her boyfriend?". UGH!! They are 4 year olds playing together in the way that 4 year olds do. Stop it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mollyjade wrote:
And Jonah has more clothes than he can wear. Before we culled he had enough to wear two outfits every day and not repeat anything for more than a month. It's absurd.

That's amazing. We started off with just enough clothing for Little Nettle to be able to go a week without doing laundry, assuming no pooping/peeing/spitting up shenanigans and then my sweetheart's sister reminded me that these things happen and I went into a onesie panic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just got an email from Scarlett's preschool teacher informing us that there is pinkeye going around, as well as that some parents have requested more "structured academic work," so the kids will be getting homework assignments. Two and three year olds. I am so annoyed by the homework that I don't even care about the pinkeye! We just wanted her to have fun playing with other kids and specifically picked a preschool that seemed like it wasn't trying to pretend to be some sort of college prep academy. Is this really what most parents want or think is the best way to get young kids interested in learning? I mean, it's just tracing letters and coloring, which she does at home for fun already. Am I overreacting or is this obnoxious?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wait a second. people WANT homework for their 2-3 year olds?

what the fizzle!!! i dont think you're overreacted.
even if it is simple fun stuff you already do the point they are making them do HOMEWORK is crazy

way to teach kids about stress way too early!!! i mean geez!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:34 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mooo wrote:
I just got an email from Scarlett's preschool teacher informing us that there is pinkeye going around, as well as that some parents have requested more "structured academic work," so the kids will be getting homework assignments. Two and three year olds. I am so annoyed by the homework that I don't even care about the pinkeye! We just wanted her to have fun playing with other kids and specifically picked a preschool that seemed like it wasn't trying to pretend to be some sort of college prep academy. Is this really what most parents want or think is the best way to get young kids interested in learning? I mean, it's just tracing letters and coloring, which she does at home for fun already. Am I overreacting or is this obnoxious?

what if you just didn't do it? I don't mean to be difficult, but would they stop letting you bring her to preschool or something? I feel like, if it were me and I had a strong feeling about a 2 year old doing homework (which I KNOW i would if I were a mom) I would be like "no way. sorry, not doing homework." I don't think you're over reacting at all. That sounds like some serious BS. They could and probably should give you activities to do at home IF YOU WANT, but calling it homework and expecting it to be returned? that's a little out of control.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 206  Next