| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 206  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Homework for 2-3 year olds? Uh, no?

A friend whose kid is 8 months older than E was rhapsodizing to me about how great he is at doing his homework (which is cool, he's a great kid) but I'm nodding along while thinking holy shiitake you get homework in kindergarten now? really?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:

A friend whose kid is 8 months older than E was rhapsodizing to me about how great he is at doing his homework (which is cool, he's a great kid) but I'm nodding along while thinking holy shiitake you get homework in kindergarten now? really?

My school (in Chico, CA. . . if that makes a difference maybe?) had us doing homework in Kindergarten. This was like. . . 1996-1997? It was the same kind of stuff - more "fun" things than anything, and I remember a worksheet on addition and stuff at the end of the year. I never thought of it as strange at the time, but I loved school. Looking back. . . Why?!

And preschoolers? Really? Why?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for the validation! We are going to just not take it very seriously and let our two year old do whatever she finds fun about it. So this week, instead of tracing letters, she drew self portraits. (They look similar to what her tracing of the letter "g" would have looked like.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mooo wrote:
I just got an email from Scarlett's preschool teacher informing us that there is pinkeye going around, as well as that some parents have requested more "structured academic work," so the kids will be getting homework assignments. Two and three year olds. I am so annoyed by the homework that I don't even care about the pinkeye! We just wanted her to have fun playing with other kids and specifically picked a preschool that seemed like it wasn't trying to pretend to be some sort of college prep academy. Is this really what most parents want or think is the best way to get young kids interested in learning? I mean, it's just tracing letters and coloring, which she does at home for fun already. Am I overreacting or is this obnoxious?

It is obnoxious. A better solution would've been to point people in the direction of a website with coloring pages they could print out themselves. This is a waste of teachers' energy!

My personal preschool vent is that there seem to be a ton of special events at school that we don't hear about until the week of. I can't plan my work life around this nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:

coldandsleepy, don't even get me started - yes indeed, about 30min of homework every night. Oh and 4 page in-class math tests once a month. For 5 year olds. The delights of public school common core curriculum! It's insane. And, as a bonus, there is one facet of the math homework that we just cannot understand - the directions are terrible and even when I emailed the teacher for clarification, we still don't get it. Tonight is parent-teacher conferences and we'll be bringing the math workbook to talk it out in person with her. Somehow NOT at all what I expected to be doing at a kindergartener's parent-teacher conference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i keep hearing about this common core thing and it frightens me. it sounds so unbelievably convoluted. someone tried to explain the math to me once and i was just mystified.

i keep thinking i want to homeschool BP.

30mins of homework seems like a lot for a FIVE year old!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

LisaPunk wrote:
i keep thinking i want to homeschool BP.

My parents were both public school teachers (my dad still is) who really believed in the value of public school and the importance of sending your kids there. But lately, the more I hear from my dad about what's going on in public schools, the more I start thinking Waldorf-y unschooling type thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:58 am 
***LIES!!!***

I am pretty sure common core has nothing to do with the homework/tests. Those are two different issues. Most of what I've read about common core is pretty reassuring and sounds like an improvement. homework was out of control many years before common core, that is all about the culture of the school/parents/etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:22 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Reno is in the 2nd grade now and I've been going crazy over her Math homework for 2 years now, even in Kindergarten. Common Core math has been very confusing to me but the more involved we get with it the more sense it starts to make. Its sometimes still seems batshit crazy but the batshit crazy stuff is going to help them in the long run. They are basically teaching them algebra. It looks and sounds mystifying because we remember math differently then they are doing it now. They even changed the names of some things like "carrying over" is now called "regrouping". My husband leaned over, at back to school night, and asked me "what the hell is regrouping?" We had to ask! Once you yourself learn the "new way" it's rather easy.

Homework for preschool is just nuts. Miles's school would never give it but if they did I would just tell them we aren't doing it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I try not to judge other parents, but requesting that a preschooler get homework seems crazy to me. I agree with everyone else that it seems obnoxious. I do remember having had homework in kindergarten though. (And I remember trying to weasel out of said homework so I could play outside).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:40 am 
Nooch of Earl

If preschoolers don't have homework, how are they going to get through BC calculus by the time kindergarten ends?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silas has a bit of homework (kindergarten) but nothing dramatic and only maybe 5-10 minutes for the week. Usually a paragraph to be read to him (he chooses to read to himself) with 4 basic comprehension questions and 1 math worksheet with 3-5 simple questions. I think it's more about getting the parents involved, seeing what the kids are learning each week, and laying the groundwork for learning the importance of turning homework in. His class isn't punished for not turning it in, but there is a reward system of extra Fun Friday playtime for the group. I see the importance of it at this age.

I thought I hated Common Core until I had the opportunity to see how it's being taught from the beginning. Shae wasn't taught it. From the Kindergarten standpoint, it seems normal to me. It's how my brain works naturally anyway and seems to be natural for Silas as well. My niece really struggles with it (5th grade) and helping her with her homework was insane! No one knows how to teach it because it's all foreign terms and overly complicated instructions for seemingly simple problems. I really with there was an education for the parents on HOW to help kids with it. I've seen the first grade work and there is a huge focus on the kids explaining how they get the answers, which just throws everyone for a loop.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:24 am 
Semen Strong

Quote:
I really with there was an education for the parents on HOW to help kids with it.

This is so simple, and so very true. I've seen so many posts on how ridiculous common core is, especially around maths, and it seems like a lot of it is just very unclear expectations on explaining the steps one uses to get there, not just solving the problem. And I think that a lot of that confusion ends up feeding into our cultural conversation that math is hard, and that is why we can't get it right, when in fact its just that the instructions need to be clearer.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Homework for two year olds was vetoed by the majority of the parents! Haha.

Now my vent is that part of the reason we chose this preschool was because they assured us it is not a religious school. Do people seriously think Christmas has nothing to do with religion? We got an email that said that one of this month's topics will be "Christmas around the world." So instead of pretending to celebrate diversity by mentioning different religions' winter holidays, they are going to discuss... intra-Christmas diversity? Seriously? I think I should just give up caring and plan on being out of here before she's old enough to really get what's going on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:00 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

What exactly is "intra-Christmas" diversity? Christmas seems fairly homogenous to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:52 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

mooo wrote:
Do people seriously think Christmas has nothing to do with religion?.

Yes. Many people think that as long as you don't mention God or Jesus or include any crosses, it's just culture, not religion. Unless you go to a fairly nontraditional school, you probably have many years of Christmas tree and Easter bunny crafts in your future. Or "holiday trees" and "spring bunnies." People are really bad at understanding what diversity or inclusiveness really are when they're in the majority.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:11 am 

Tofulish wrote:
Quote:
I really with there was an education for the parents on HOW to help kids with it.

This is so simple, and so very true. I've seen so many posts on how ridiculous common core is, especially around maths, and it seems like a lot of it is just very unclear expectations on explaining the steps one uses to get there, not just solving the problem. And I think that a lot of that confusion ends up feeding into our cultural conversation that math is hard, and that is why we can't get it right, when in fact its just that the instructions need to be clearer.

A lot of schools have nights where the parents and kids come in together to learn the math program. Reno and I have been going 2 x a week for the past 4-5 weeks. Its been very helpful and it's a shame that more parents of the 2nd graders didn't signed up for it. Half the families that did sign up for it have never shown up. The other half that did sign up have barely shown up for the classes. Reno and 2 other boys are the only ones who have gone to all of them so far. The help is there you just need to do it or ask for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:44 am 
***LIES!!!***

mollyjade wrote:
mooo wrote:

Yes. Many people think that as long as you don't mention God or Jesus or include any crosses, it's just culture, not religion. Unless you go to a fairly nontraditional school, you probably have many years of Christmas tree and Easter bunny crafts in your future. Or "holiday trees" and "spring bunnies." People are really bad at understanding what diversity or inclusiveness really are when they're in the majority.

This. Welcome to public school. If you're in chorus you will also be singing a lot about how Jesus is King. Because that's just traditional, good music. It has no religious significance at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ariann wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
mooo wrote:

This. Welcome to public school. If you're in chorus you will also be singing a lot about how Jesus is King. Because that's just traditional, good music. It has no religious significance at all.

Yep, in elementary school (5th grade, I think), when myself and another student (I'm Jewish and she was a Jehovah's Witness) declined to participate in a Christmas craft, we were made to go sit in the hall during the craft (?!?!?). When we *gasp!* spoke to each other while sitting in the hall, we got in trouble for it! Neither of us were loud children by any means, either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:19 pm 
Semen Strong

JENNA wrote:
A lot of schools have nights where the parents and kids come in together to learn the math program. Reno and I have been going 2 x a week for the past 4-5 weeks. Its been very helpful and it's a shame that more parents of the 2nd graders didn't signed up for it. Half the families that did sign up for it have never shown up. The other half that did sign up have barely shown up for the classes. Reno and 2 other boys are the only ones who have gone to all of them so far. The help is there you just need to do it or ask for it.

That is awesome. I wonder why so few people took advantage of it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:23 am 

It was hard to go 2 x a week for us especially since one of the nights Reno has her musical theater class that we took her out of for a month to do this special math night program. Her school has a lot of parents who work and don't pick there kids up from the school aftercare until 6 or 6:30 so I'm sure after working all day they just want to go home. I was happy we did it but I'm so happy its over now! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'll try to keep it short but I must vent. I was crazy, insanely worried about my 7 month old because he was straining and screaming and not able to pass more than a pea size amount of poop for 3 days. Sent my husband to the pediatrician. I have no clue what he told her, but "toothpaste" consistency poop came up (NOT CORRECT) and the pedi assured him baby was not constipated and sent him home with no further instructions...I call back that afternoon in tears because what am I supposed to do for this baby who is in pain? (already tried EVERY home remedy I know is safe for a baby). The next morning the pedi orders an abdominal X-ray. I text my husband and he gets the X-ray. I fret and worry all day about my baby and when I get home ask how he was and the husband said that he pooped that morning! BEFORE the X-ray. He did not tell me. what the fizzle!!!!! WHY did you get the X-ray then???? I seriously had a nervous breakdown in front of my boss with the uncontrollable crying and the snots earlier in the day because I was so stressed.

And I will just add that after I have been up for the majority of the night with the baby I am now pumping before going to work and the baby has been whining and crying for the last 30 minutes and said husband is laying in his room ignoring the poor mite. I just sometimes have violent thoughts towards him (husband not baby).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:24 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

:( Poor kiddo and poor you. I hope it was a onetime thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thank you for the sympathy. Well, I guess the X-ray wasn't entirely a terrible thing. She said it showed he was "full of poop" so we know we need to redouble our efforts at getting prune juice, prune puree etc into him!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes annasrobbie! Hope you can get the pooptrain back on track soon! Hope your little guy feels better and that your partner validates your feelings.

I don't think I realized before becoming a parent, just how much time parents spend obsessing over another person's poop.

We do probiotics and they seem to help, fwiw.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 206  Next