| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh man, Tofulish, what a brutal day! The idea that BLW is a problem versus purees is ridiculous. Foods can cause an allergic reaction when they are pureed too....

I have no great advice, but lots of sympathy <3. Taking care of a sick baby totally totally sucks when anything that helps is poorly received. I wouldn't worry about the benedryl package warnings, either, for the reasons mooo states.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh poor Wren and Leela! I can't believe the magician is getting more teeth. Freya's been working on the same one for like 3 weeks!

Tofulish, do *you* have any suspicions that her snottification is food related? You could alway try an elimination diet for a few weeks and see if it improves. Switching to purees would be silly, really, in that she'd likely be getting the same foods, just smooshed up. Can you tell any difference during the day based on what you do? Pets/no pets, inside/outside, gluten/no gluten, etc.? It's so hard to track an allergy down sometimes. Did they take any samples/cultures from Leela?

FWIW, the Benadryl here is all labeled as for over age 1. When I worked at nurseries/childcares, it was quite common for kids in the not-yet-walking group to take it for allergies, so I wouldn't fuss about it' safety.

Oh, just thought too, about when Freya was really badly congested, we sprinkled some eucalyptus oil on the top of our bedding and that seemed to help along with some in the humidifier.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yeah no, purees aren't going to make a difference!

E has allergies (prob seasonal/hayfever, like his dad and I) and was prescribed um... Derp... Blanking. The grownup one in liquid kid form. We found it next to impossible to give him when he was younger as he didn't like the flavor but it did seem to help.

They gave him the nebulizer treatment once in order to listen to his lungs better or something. It was a nightmare. So I feel you on that.

Could you try the Zyrtec in the day for a while and see if it makes a difference? I wouldn't want to give my kid Benadryl every day either just because I know *I* feel shitty the day after I take Benadryl.

Humidifiers at night are supposed to help alleviate cold/allergy symptoms somewhat.

Sorry T... I hope you find something that helps her soon.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks all! My sister explained that there was a problem with one class of decongestants that was causing issues with children and that Benadryl got pulled into the ban even though there is no issue with it and its a different class, so it is safe if take properly, and she also mentioned the sleep issue. We have a recent tragic case in our area that involved it. The eucalyptus is a great idea, thanks r.

I honestly had never realized how tough it is to be a parent whose kid is sick and the MD goes right for "so have any family pets?" And immediately you think, and all the popular myths on the internet tell you - yes, that must be it. If only I get rid of the cat then everything will be ok and my kid will be healthy and happy again. I know that Brett would have no issue getting rid of our cats, and I am going to have to fight to prove its not the cats. But its stupid to stress over a fight we aren't having yet. But I feel like I've been so judgmental of people who surrender their cats bc of a baby and allergies, and I never realized how much peds push the idea that it has to be a pet.

My sister also pointed out (thank you voice of sanity) that I have been sick for 3 weeks too, so perhaps we are just reinfecting eachother or it could be 2 back to back different colds, as there are so many different virus types. I think maybe I am going to get a Z-pack from my MD and treat the fork out of my cold, stop sharing water and utensils and stuff with her and see if that makes a difference.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That all sounds really rough! Just getting over a stomach bug that went from baby to dad to mom to nanny (me). Babies are the best biological weapon! So cute and kissable, easy to infect yourself. :)

The mom told me she disinfected the whole house so maybe tty that in case its germs? Then you can do a process of elimination for allergies. Its hard to believe that BLW could be the cause, but hey a couple days of purees wouldn't hurt just to eliminate it completly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My baby vent o' the day....
Alright the 'old' baby is pretty much near perfect this week besides getting me sick, not at all his fault. But 'new' baby's parents? Pleeeease decide whether you need me or not so I can know my schedule for the next month. Me and my two other jobs would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh, I forgot to mention that she is teething her top two teeth, so though I couldn't see it, the MD thought maybe that was cause for the excessive drool, though I don't get why that would end up as chest congestion, stuffy nose and fluid in the ear.

I have hated almost every minute about today, though I had a great dream about raising funds for the Nuba with George Clooney this morning. L is finally out, and I am so frazzled and upset.

Note to husbands everywhere, when your wife asks for a 10 minute Mommy time out because she is about to lose it, that doesn't mean that its a good idea to bring baby upstairs as she tries to start to decompress and play peekaboo in the door way. That is not a time out.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ugh, Tofulish, I am sending you so many hugs. Benadryl is super, super safe. I would probably risk giving it to her at night if it'll mean she sleeps more regularly and then just watch her and see if she's a zombie the next day (Benadryl makes me a zombie, but a lot of people don't have that kind of reaction). Zyrtec is also super safe. Allergies are so hard to pin down, especially food. So hopefully some combination of drugs and time and getting out of this super humid/hot craziness will calm things down so you can wait out getting the testing done.

Did the chest congestion make the doctor think that an X-ray might be worthwhile? I'm just thinking if she has something like pneumonia that might explain the length of the illness. Bronchitis might also be a possibility. Either way, antibiotics would clear it up. Do you give Leela probiotics? Might be a good idea if she's fighting any kind of infection and if she needs to go on antibiotics. Re-infecting each other also makes a lot of sense.

You're not doing anything wrong. Babies get sick. Malka got RSV at 2 months even though she never went to daycare, was hardly ever around other babies, was never around sick people, etc. (The nebulizer sucked for us and was also pointless.) Lots of babies get ear infections. Nearly all babies get colds and usually lots of them. BLW is not making Leela sick. You are a great mom and you're doing a great job. Please let us know if we can help you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! My sister's other piece of wisdom was to point out that I've had two bouts of food poisoning and been sick constantly since Brett's health thing, and that perhaps that stress is what is making it so hard to heal. I guess I always figure that I'm pretty tough, but emotional stress is hard on the body too.

Time to find a little alone time and go do something stupid and fun. Maybe a beach trip to jump waves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have a funny schedule the next week or so, but after that I would be happy to kick-off the babysitting co-op to let you do something fun for yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish, I am pretty surprised the dr would put her on antibiotics if she doesn't have an ear infection yet. That's pretty weird to me.

My experiences with the ear infections from hell: even before he had an ear infection, if there was fluid it was painful for him. Every time there has been fluid it has ended with an infection.

You guys are probably reinforcing each other. In April and may all three of us were sick constantly and would just pass things back and forth, so you probably have new colds, it isn't the same one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the feedback, I am sorry you had such a rough time, but I hope that is the case for us too, not an allergy, esp not a kitty one! She gave us a script to fill if we see signs of an infection.

Has anyone had a side effect of Benadryl be your kid sleep screaming and crying? Her eyes are tight shut and she is rolling around the bed screaming and crying and inconsolable, pushes away the boob and any attempt to comfort? Eventually it passes and then she nursed back down, but it was pretty not fun.

And Ariann, let's have lunch once you're back - near your offices - hanging with you is always superfun for me! I was talking to someone else about how amazing you were the other day....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, I also meant to mention that sleeping elevated seemed to help. The dr said it wouldn't, but it did! And I think the reason we finally got the liquid to drain from his ears is because he was sitting up sleeping so much on our trip, the carseat and ergo for naps. So, maybe try to elevate her.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh thank you! I have been so worried about that! I'm going to try it tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Benadryl does make some people (kids especially) feel wired/edgy rather than sleepy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:56 pm 
Semen Strong

She was dead asleep, but screaming with her eyes shut. It was creepy and heartbreaking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has done that a couple times, not on any drugs. It was totally scary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Plus side though, no congestion so far... I think maybe we'll do this for a few days and I'll try and go on a few long drives and long ergo walks with her and try and drain her earsies.

it is so hard having a kid who has something cureable and manageable. My heart is going out so hard to those parents whose kids are sick and in hospitals etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yup, that would freak me right out.

For my own vent: kid I know you feel awful but I don't understand why your coping mechanism seems to be grabbing any piece of my skin you can get and digging your fingers in and twisting. At least you're not biting me? Oy vey.

He also spent all morning just clinging to me and moaning. He stayed up, moaning, right through his first nap time. He never skips first nap. Long asparagus mother forking day, especially because I had promised E we'd go to the boardwalk today like a week ago and there was no time to reschedule it before we leave on our trip.

(E was downright saintly all day, and I am so thankful for that.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tofulish, my son did this for months when he started hand-walking and walking, but there were no drugs involved. Is it possible to give her a smaller dose? i have no idea if it would help, but i know i generally take less benedryl then i need bc i don't feel as zombified that way.

For my son, they called it night terrors, and that pushing away sounds very familiar. I actually learned to check and see if he was really awake and then let him be if he wasn't, it would pass in less than 5 minutes. When it didn't, i would turn on the lights and wake him up and then settle him back down. seems backwards but worked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Man, I am so sorry for all the rough stuff everyone is dealing with lately. My gripe seems really minor in comparison: I am so tired of teeth brushing time being a mess of screaming and thrashing and tears. I'm pretty sure it's the worst part of the day for all three of us and I have this sinking feeling that it's not going to change any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:19 am 
Semen Strong

Another bout of sleep screaming just this one won't seem to end...

I don't think I could do this every night for a week if my goal was to get better too...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So sorry Tofulish. Charlie has done this when no on drugs but when a bit under the weather. I hope poor Leela feels better soon (and you too)!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:05 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Oh poor Leela :-(

c&s and littlebear, I'm right there with you with the teething! I can't wait for these canine teeth to come through and to finally get a break until those second molars. They don't seem even close to breaking through yet though. Urg. Ada bit my arm so hard yesterday when I was trying to get her to nap (which took three hours to do) that it left a mark. Oh and then there was the bite my nipple and flinging her head back without unlatching. I thought there would actually be blood. Otherwise the nipple biting hasn't been as bad this time around. I learned not to say "ow" because she thinks that's funny and will keep biting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Aww, I hope all the teething and grumpy and sick PPK kidlets feel better soon.

My vent: Since Zephyr was born two weeks ago (!), Izzy has been mostly really good about the change. Except when we say "no" for anything. Like, "please keep the Wii remote out of your mouth...Isaiah, if you can't keep it out of your mouth, we're going to have to turn off the Wii for now...It's time to turn off the Wii, because you're not taking good care of your Wii remote." --> Total meltdown. Dad goes to work in the morning, and Izzy gets to visit his daycare again today - he has a meltdown because he misses Dad (who spends lots of time with him every evening), and doesn't want to go to daycare, even though it's pretty much his favourite thing ever. Last week, he had a meltdown when we went outside the daycare to walk to the bus stop. I asked him why he was crying, and he said "it's too sunny!" Just please stop whining and complaining about everything!

Reply to topic  [ 4226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 170  Next