| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:03 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Magician: You wait til the moment I've started cooking the roux-- and thus need both hands and can't stop without ruining the whole meal-- to start sobbing inconsolably and trying to climb up my leg. Are you just messing with me? I pick you up, you instantly stop. I put you down, you start again. We are both covered in roux and I am not amused.

PS: I didn't burn the roux.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Great work C&S

Kimba, I've been thinking about your post today! I feel like I spend so long getting Leela to nap, and I was wondering what the thinking is behind the 5 minute rule? Even if L is exhausted, it never takes less than 20 mins (and most often way way way longer) to get her down. Is there a trick I am missing? Would she go down easier if I didn't work so hard at getting her to nap?

kimba wrote:
Daycare worker says "we don't let them stay in their crib more than 5 minutes if they are awake." Ugh, he is tired. I don't want someone making me get out of bed if it takes more than 5 minutes for me to fall asleep. Don't do it to my baby. I understand not wanting to leave them in the crib all day, but 5 minutes? Please. 15 would be much more reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

coldandsleepy wrote:

I'm pretty sure you win some kind of award for this achievement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choirqueer wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

I'm pretty sure you win some kind of award for this achievement.

Hell yes. I frequently burn the roux without the benefit of children to challenge me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:37 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
Great work C&S

Kimba, I've been thinking about your post today! I feel like I spend so long getting Leela to nap, and I was wondering what the thinking is behind the 5 minute rule? Even if L is exhausted, it never takes less than 20 mins (and most often way way way longer) to get her down. Is there a trick I am missing? Would she go down easier if I didn't work so hard at getting her to nap?

kimba wrote:
Daycare worker says "we don't let them stay in their crib more than 5 minutes if they are awake." Ugh, he is tired. I don't want someone making me get out of bed if it takes more than 5 minutes for me to fall asleep. Don't do it to my baby. I understand not wanting to leave them in the crib all day, but 5 minutes? Please. 15 would be much more reasonable.

Well, yesterday he slept for 2 minutes at daycare. We hung out at his crib, which didn't help because he was distracted by us. Anyway, I spoke with the director yesterday and she seemed more reasonable, so we will see if we can get some improvement. He was so exhausted, he couldn't get a good nap when we got home, so the entire day, he slept 42 minutes! That's the worst ever. He usually gets 3-4 hours worth of nap a day. I won't be there today, but my mom will (today and tomorrow) so we will see how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:15 am 
Nooch of Earl

STOP CLIMBING THINGS!!

Sneaky V pulls out the drawer under the oven, then climbs on top of it to reach things on the stove. She pulls her toy vacuum over next to tables so she can stand on it and reach what's on top of them. She climbs on top of the ledge around the fireplace and opens the glass fireplace doors, or stands teetering on top of the brick ledge scaring the shiitake out of me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Semen Strong

I hope today went better Kimba. I spent 90 minutes nursing Leela down into a nap today. 90 minutes! And now she is out cold and I hope it isn't for the night. I can't imagine getting her down in 5. Even in the car it takes longer than that (normally about 10 mins before we reach home hahahaha).

We had to get up this am at 6 and I think it threw off her schedule....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh freaking yay! 90 mins of nursing for 20 minutes of napping.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Oh freaking yay! 90 mins of nursing for 20 minutes of napping.

Yep, I have found in my research that the longer it takes to get baby to sleep the less they will stay asleep. Grey took 90 minutes earlier to fall asleep, slept 25 minutes. Later he fell asleep in the car, I transitioned him to the bed and he has been asleep for at least 90 minutes. These babies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Two things:
a) I do understand why the daycare would have a rule like that - there are some daycares that will leave babies in cribs half the day and I'm sure they want to be responsible about their crib use, although 5 minutes is pretty short, and
b) If Malka isn't asleep in 20 minutes for a nap, I give up. Seriously, I have my limits. I have also been known to give up on night time sleep and wait an hour to try again, but haven't had to do that in awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Sooooo bad parent (me) cancelled the baby's 6 month well baby visit because it was like 3 days into our fairly last minute trip to go see the in-laws. I figured I would just reschedule it when I got home. Usually my pediatrician has lots of slots open, it's not usually a problem.

He must be going on vacation or something though because he has NO openings any time before mid-September except a few tonight. Waiting til mid-September would be a little bit farcical, considering that the baby will be closer to 9 months than six by then.

I guess this is a vent about what a bad parent i am, I don't know.

(Also, +1 to the more work you put into getting the baby to sleep, the shorter and crappier the nap is bound to be.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Today went a little better, he got 20 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon. Still nothing compared to what he gets at home and he was super tired and much crankier than usual. I put him to bed an hour earlier. He seemed to need it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh, I'm glad it went better but sorry it still wasn't enough nap time. I hope Carlos transitions smoothly back to his normal patterns and gets enough sleep during the day soon!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:
Two things:
I do understand why the daycare would have a rule like that - there are some daycares that will leave babies in cribs half the day and I'm sure they want to be responsible about their crib use, although 5 minutes is pretty short, and

Oh, I know why they do it, but yeah, 5 minutes? Him not getting the sleep he needs is definitely making him have some rough days. But he is just starting there, so hopefully it will continue to get better. Anyway, this daycare is a pretty good one, I would say. They have a very good reputation and a 2-3 year wait list (which means Carlos was on the list before he was conceived). It's just that they have a lot of rules, most of which I agree with, but it can be a little overwhelming at times. For example, I don't want Carlos to use a sippy cup and they don't allow sippy cups. They teach babies to drink from a cup which I think is cool. I think it is pretty good that they teach babies to drink from regular cups because of the issues with cavities and having non-water beverages in sippy cups. However, there was a baby that just uses a sippy cup with water and they wouldn't allow it. It's just easier to have a flat-out rule against them than to say they can only be used with water (I guess). This rule kind of annoys me even though it doesn't affect me mostly because they are telling people what to do with their kids even if it wasn't necessarily bad. This group of kids is 2 months - 11 months, so it's not like it is developmentally inappropriate.

Some good stuff: He is in a classroom with 10 babies. They are really good with feeding and storing breastmilk, no problems with his cloth diapers, have people come in and do developmental evaluations, spend a little outside time each day, are supposedly good at supporting different diets, and a bunch of other stuff. Also, I can walk there from work!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:26 pm 
Semen Strong

They do sound great! If there is some magic about the rule about 5 mins, like it leads to them going down faster and easier, let us know!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have to agree with the effort/duration correlation. Today, Chad put Will down for a nap by holding him near the crib for a few minutes, putting him in the crib, staring at him (I don't know why, but he always does that. Just stands and stares?), and walking out of the room. And guess what? 2.5 hour nap. Crazy!

So the daycare's 5 minute rule is 5 minutes even if the baby is content?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kdub wrote:
I have to agree with the effort/duration correlation. Today, Chad put Will down for a nap by holding him near the crib for a few minutes, putting him in the crib, staring at him (I don't know why, but he always does that. Just stands and stares?), and walking out of the room. And guess what? 2.5 hour nap. Crazy!

So the daycare's 5 minute rule is 5 minutes even if the baby is content?

Yeah, well when they told us, he was perfectly content, but we were standing from afar watching him. They wanted us to be with him, I guess, but he is way too distracted that way. The director seemed flexible if changes are needed though, so if it doesn't work out, I guess they can try something else. I am not sure what. Next week is the first regular week and they give reports on how much he slept, so hopefully we will get some good news then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm 
Chip Strong

Ada just woke up from her nap after 29 min. 29 min! (and yeah, it took me quite awhile to get her to fall asleep as the above theory suggests). This is after no nap one day this week and another day with a thirty something min nap. And she has been waking up a bunch at night. Yet she wants to walk everywhere. But she is obviously tired. So she stops in the middle of the sidewalk and just sits. Then gets up a few seconds later and keeps walking. And then she will want me to carry her for like two feet. And then she wants back down. And so on. And she gets really upset if she sees the ergo or the stroller. And since she is so tired it's making it impossible for me to get anything done for our trip that we're leaving for this weekend because there is no way I am going shopping anywhere but our food coop with a tired toddler on the loose.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:37 am 
Chip Strong

Ok, and the week of bad sleep continues. She's been up since before 4am. Wide awake. It's 7:30 now. If she doesn't nap for a significant amount of time today I might cry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:11 am 
Semen Strong

Oh no sashi! Sending you tons of good sleep thoughts.

She'll probably sleep a ton on vacation. Silly babies. So excited by new stuffs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Dear Baby,

I can't wait for your arrival because I'm pretty sure you'll have a much harder time kicking my bladder once you're on the outside of me. There is nothing cute about adult-diapers, baby, so please don't force me to buy them.

Love,

Mom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:02 pm 
Chip Strong

Riiight...I'm sure she's just waiting for the plane ride to sleep ;-) On top of the no sleep she now has a cold. Or is extremely congested and snotty because of teething. She's already woken up not even an hour into going to bed for the night. And we need to get up early for our flight. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 pm 
Semen Strong

UGH! Poor Ada and poor Mama! I hope she goes out soon and that you have a good flight tomorrow! Happy holiday!

Leela has turned into Mighty Aphrobitey over here. She bit her friend today and has been biting my nipples and laughing. Its really hilarious to her.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

bcakes wrote:
Dear Baby,

I can't wait for your arrival because I'm pretty sure you'll have a much harder time kicking my bladder once you're on the outside of me. There is nothing cute about adult-diapers, baby, so please don't force me to buy them.

Love,

Mom

haha... every once in a while i catch myself thinking, OMG when will this baby get out so i will stop feeling x,y or z. and then the baby gets out and yeah, i'd rather get kicked in the bladder.

just kidding.

a little.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I love it when people tell me that staying at home with my child is a luxury, and then call me aggressive for pointing out that not everyone who stays home does so by choice, that its a complicated and highly individual decision that every family makes, to then be greeted by everyone on the thread saying that I am crazy.

Quote:
are you forking kidding me? If a mother gets to stay at home with her child.. regardless of HOW that happened.. she's given an enormous gift. If she's depressed, then that is her choice. It is safe to assume at that point, that nothing would make her happy, and even if she could work, she'd be miserable because she wasn't at home with her child. It's no win. Anytime you can stay at home with your kid, and be a part of their daily life, it is a luxury.. no matter what the financial drivers are. It's a matter of perspective at that point. And most folks would have more of an opportunity to do that if our tax burden weren't so enormous.

I need to unfriend this bag of crazy, but I don't want her to feel like she won. Though she already does so....

Oh FB, you're so horrible after the sweet haven of the PPK and its thinking, liberal and engaged citizens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 178  Next