| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ariann, that is awful. I'm sorry you and Malka had to go through that!

My vent: the Emperor is a super early riser. It does not matter when he goes to bed, he wakes up at the same super early time. Blackout curtains have had no effect. Moving bedtime around has no effect. He is just an early riser. I kinda understand because I was as a child too (and as an adult right up until the point where I had children and sleeping in became my constant unfulfillable wish).

And you know what? I would not care if he just woke up early and amused himself. What the shiitake do I care about that?

But no. He wakes up and then instantly begins a campaign to get at least one adult to get up with him. We tell him to go out in the living room... He starts whining noooo I don't want toooooooo. We tell him to go back to bed and he starts howling. And so on.

Today I told him to lay down next to my bed if he needed to be that close to me. So he did that. And then he got up and started kissing my cheek, which would have been sweet if it wasn't so forking annoying. Finally I got up with him because it was time for me to get up anyway but seriously this was after over an hour of him torturing me.

Kid! Just let other people sleep!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Heh. How can these little people have so much energy in the morning time?

Ariann, that sounds absolutely awful. Is there some official way that you can complain? I have trouble with "slippery veins" they call them and have had that experience many times of some nurse wiggling a needle around inside my arm (or when I was in the hospital, in my hand...forking hell) I hope Malka is well recovered now. Poor bear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm 

So sorry Ariann and Malka. That sounds awful.

Now I'm wondering if we didn't get tested for lead at the 12 month appointment because we didn't have to go anywhere. I know they did the test for iron, and they said something else had to be mailed to process. I can't remember what it was. Anyway, they did a finger prick and even that was torture for us. I had to hold her so tight and then she kept tearing off the bandaid and blood got all over both of us. It's really hard to keep a baby from taking a bandaid off their finger!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Some doctors do all their blood tests in house. My husband somehow suspects it has something to do with insurance coverage why some do and others don't. I'm going to complain to our doctor. Frankly they should know what the labs they send us to are or are not willing to do and it's bullshiitake to send us to a lab with a script for something they won't be willing to do.

C&S, that sucks. Malka does that, too (although not that that early), unfortunately she is totally unwilling to be separated from us until she's been up for a couple hours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

coldandsleepy wrote:
And then he got up and started kissing my cheek, which would have been sweet if it wasn't so forking annoying.

I totally get that. Ezra's an early riser, too (well, I am as well, but his early rising is a whole different ballpark...) He gives me little kisses on the mouth while saying "mama... mama..." It really would be adorable, if I didn't want to punch him in the face.*

*I don't actually want to punch my child in the face.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There was a month or so when Silas was 2 that he would lift the blankets and blow raspberries on our stomachs to wake us up, daily. That was alarming.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds impossibly cute. Probably because we haven't gotten there yet.

Leela has only just started to say Mama as the first thing out of her mouth in the morning. And when she does the heavens part and rays of sunshine dance and birds sing angelic melodies. It could happen at 4 am and I'd still be overjoyed. This will probably pass by next week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh Ariann, what a crappy experience. (Though I do think you need to visit this SD ped in person, just to be on the safe side. And then we can coincidentally hang out.)

I had a terrible experience with the heel prick blood draw during The Great Jaundice Debacle of 2011, though, so a bad nurse can definitely fork that up as well. Sounds like you're making the right decision. I was starting to wonder whether I should try more aggressively to get V lead tested because our ped hasn't recommended it. Your experience is not very encouraging!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm so tired and angry right now, well, maybe it angry, but super grumpy. Ever since we came to Michigan sleep has been an issue, it keeps getting worse and grey is using all the time again. (Just realized iPad autocorrected nursing to using and I am keeping it cause it's the same thing). I am so, so tired of nursing. I know this is supposed to be this magical time and I should be loving it, blah blah, but I am over it. I am over someone scratching my chest, tweaking my nipples, pinching me, pulling my hair and hitting me to get to my breast. I am tired of having fluctuating sized boobs, I am tired of still carrying around some weight that would be gone if he wasn't using because then I wouldn't eat sweets constantly. Ugh. I want to wean him so badly but it isn't working. I also think I need to wait until we are home and maybe I just need to leave for a weekend or something.

Also, the early rising is awful. I am a morning person, you know what favorite thing was about being a morning person? The quiet. Being the only one awake. Yeah, not being woken up at 4:30 by someone trying to get to your boob. Then having to make food for someone and entertain them for hours. I love grey, I love being a mom, but the morning is the hardest thing for me these days. That is probably what I miss the most about single life. It is definitely the thing I miss the most from living alone.

I am just all ranty this morning. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:04 am 
Semen Strong

(((((Hugs Littlebear))))) I am sorry you're having a rough time.

I don't know how well the going away works, and I'd be curious to hear anecdotes or other info . One of my friends did it for her 3 year old, and when she came back a week later her daughter still wanted to nurse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 pm 
Grandfathered In

There will be no apologizing for ranty-about-children feelings in the Ventilation Station!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:56 pm 
Nooch of Earl

*hugs* LB, sometimes we have the exact same life. We're having a good few solid food weeks, but other than that, yeah. From about 4:30/5-6:30 am is still one big nursing session around here. At 6:30 I finally give up on getting back to sleep, stumble out of bed, and make coffee. We're also about to do some pretty serious travel so who knows what we'll be like in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hugs, littlebear. I remember that feeling so, so well. So overwhelming and exhausting. Eventually it'll be over and you'll barely remember it and it'll be magical. Sorry, but that's the only advice I have. I barely survived it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:32 pm 
Semen Strong

Trying to make it out of the house with a kid and a dog is just so hard sometimes! First you dress the kid, then she poops so you need to change everything, then the dog starts to go crazy as you're changing her and knocks her over, so now you have a crazed dog and a crying toddler, and you need to get something from upstairs while not leaving them together, so you wrangle her upstairs grab stuff and are finally ready to leave only to discover that your dog has gotten so excited that he has thrown up all over the living room.

All I want is one day without having to clean up someone else's poop, puke or pee. Puke is the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm 

FootFace wrote:
There will be no apologizing for ranty-about-children feelings in the Ventilation Station!

QFT.

That early morning stuff is hard. Thankfully F usually does a sorta roly-poly sleep from around 5-6, after nursing, no matter how the night's been. I don't often sleep then, but I can rest a bit at least. Once she's invited into our bed, Pappa is the man. "Pappa....kuk (kiss)...Pappa...kuk", with this little climbing lips puckered toddler trying to pull down his duvet. He alternates between "aww" and "ugh".

F so grouchy much of yesterday and today. More than once, she's just busted into tears for (apparently) no reason. Once was when I was cuddling/rocking her to sleep and she was sorta sad looking and I made a sad face and asked "what's wrong". Huge sobbing tears. Oi. Wondering about teeth, but suspect some of it is lack of sleep. Gave her some drugs (and considered taking some myself, heh)..hoping tonight brings us some rest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician, if left undisturbed, will sleep until 8 or 9 regardless of when he went to sleep. He's a pretty heavy sleeper too so he sleeps right through a lot of E's early morning antics... But the occasions where E's shrieking or singing or whatever wakes him up early are the worst. Dude acts exactly how I feel like acting when I'm woken up at six against my will. I have no idea why they're at opposite ends of the sleep spectrum but it has a way of causing drama around here.

I'm burning the candle at both ends this semester, between school and kid stuff. My kids have been so super good today and I feel like a shiitake for asking E to leave me alone for a minute while I drink a cup of coffee but fork I am so tired.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

SCREEN TIME!!!!!!

Nothing more need be said.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but this thread seems appropriate. It is more of a vent about parents, but related to kiddos.

One of my (now former) FB friends is always posting about how people need to respect her parenting choices, such as organic food, no sugar, car seat stuff, etc. Long, intense, passive aggressive rants about other people not respecting these choices.

Then this past weekend she posts a thing about how she took her daughter to a tea party that was for the girls in the home school group and the boys had a different activity, but some mom brought her two male children (as assigned at birth) dressed in skirts and with jewelry and their nails painted to the tea party. Apparently this was incredibly offensive. I blocked the post and figured she'd move on to something else.

Then today there is a post about how this same mom is bringing those same children to the girls' Valentine's Day party so she was going to have to go get 'boy' stuff for them since they clearly couldn't be given the 'girl' treat.

I just can't believe she is disrespecting that mom's parenting decision to let her kids do their thing, that she is being so awful to those children, that she is teaching her children that that type of behavior is okay, and that she is that strongly attached to gender roles that she needs to impose them on someone else's family. I had no clue she was like that. So I un-friended her, but I am still outraged. (I am still undecided on whether to send a message explaining the un-friending since we haven't spoken in years anyway)

Sorry if this is the wrong thread; I just needed to get it out and the Playground seemed like the right room...feel free to correct me if I should move this (or move it for me if a mod sees fit)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's really sad, Fizzgig.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

That is really, really sad and frustrating, Fizzigig.

I eavesdropped in two boys (maybe 6-7, I'm terrible at gauging age) having a lengthy discussion about whether the Emperor is a girl or a boy, with their decision to ask him to play with them contingent on him being a boy. They finally decided to risk it, which was cool (he had a great time playing with them), but damn did the whole thing make me sad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh Fizzgig, that is really horrible. I thought the irony you pointed out was such a good reminder for my own parenting, by the way, so I am definitely grateful you posted here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's such a bummer, coldandsleepy. Once, a boy told Silas he didn't want to play with him because he had a pink nametag on. Silas said "He must not like pink! I like all the colors." and was fine, but it really makes me sad for the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So sad!

C&S - that's also so sad!

Malka's hair is now long enough that she qualifies as a girl to strangers so people's reactions to her have really shifted from "he's so strong, he's so handsome, he's so fast and brave blah blah blah "to "she's so pretty, she's so sweet, she has such a nice smile." Luckily the boys downstairs are still willing to play with her because she has no other regular friends at this point! Her pediatrician (not the one we like to see, but we wind up getting her over and over again because we keep scheduling appointments on my day off which is her day on) this week did a lot of "good girl, sweet girl, nice girl" praising at her appointment because Malka was acquiescing to the exam. I wanted to punch her after awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

C&S, I can't believe that! that is ridiculous.

I hope I can remember this outrage (I'm still all ragey about this) when/if I have kids.

Kelly, that Silas comment is too awesome.

I'm glad you didn't punch her, Arian, but my goodness, that must have taken a lot of self-control not to do so. Yuck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It has been my experience with the school mothers that the ones who are the loudest about wanting their choices respected are the ones least likely to do the same.

This is such a minor complaint but it is on my last nerve today... What is the deal with kids leaving socks every where BUT in the hamper? Seriously. I pick up three pairs of socks a day, from places as varied as the living room floor and the kitchen counter. (Yuck).

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 177  Next