| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:52 am 
Nooch of Earl

So I've never really cared much before, and have always found those someecards 'said no military wife ever' kind of things more annoying than anything, but tonight I had my first eye rolling at a civilian complaining about how overwhelmed she was with her husband going out of town from yesterday afternoon until Friday, and could someone come over and lend her a hand this week.

I am saying that here to let off some steam, not to judge anyone for missing a partner (which is totally valid, I know on any intellectual level). I actually don't think my life is very hard - being a single parent seems like it must be 10x more exhausting - but part of me does just want to stab civilians who can't face the horror of a partner on a 4 day business trip with a spork over and over again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
He doesn't tantrum a lot these days but instead he pulls this... Really heartbroken thing. It seems like it's getting worse! Argh.

Ugh, Silas did this for awhile! Instant steaming tears of ultimate sadness over every little thing. World ending. The worst part is how everyone felt SO SORRY for him every time. Quit encouraging him, people.

Raygold is so serious and full of woe. TEH WOE! All the time. I mean, he is a happy kid, too, but it is really easy for the woe to come out. He's maybe getting a tiny bit better in that he doesn't throw himself on the floor sobbing and declare "I sad" over every little thing. But he is still full of teh woe.

It's so over-the-top that sometimes I find it a bit funny.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Before y'all think I am totally heartless and mean, even a street busker playing reggae put him into a blue funk! He covered his ears and sulked and afterward, declared that the music made him very sad and that we had to carry him. He was too sad to walk! Teh woe!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Before y'all think I am totally heartless and mean, even a street busker playing reggae put him into a blue funk! He covered his ears and sulked and afterward, declared that the music made him very sad and that we had to carry him. He was too sad to walk! Teh woe!

lolz.

i'm mean mommy too then, because i find tzipi hilarious when she's SO SAD and SO MAD. omg, it's just so tiny and cute and also if i don't laugh i'll be reminded that my life did not used to revolve around meeting the insanely particular demands of a tiny dictator.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Raygold is so serious and full of woe. TEH WOE! All the time. I mean, he is a happy kid, too, but it is really easy for the woe to come out. He's maybe getting a tiny bit better in that he doesn't throw himself on the floor sobbing and declare "I sad" over every little thing. But he is still full of teh woe.

I get this completely! So totally Silas. He feels everything to that extreme level. Super mega crazy happy most of the time, but when the sad comes, it's going to be a super mega crazy sad. I love that he's so passionate about everything he feels and I don't want to take that out of him, but I want him to be able to function through it better. Such a fine line when the "I SO SO SAD!"'s come from things like his banana not being yellow enough.

(you're not mean at all! I think the fits are adorable/funny/ridiculous all at once.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tee hee. The woe!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:49 am 
Nooch of Earl

I admit to laughing a little bit a few days ago when V had a full on attack of woe when I tried to put pants on her corolle doll. "NO PAH! NO PAH!!!!!!!" *collapses on floor in agony*

Had to order corolle doll a new overpriced outfit (which fortunately passes muster).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

coldandsleepy wrote:
Yesterday another mom at the park was bad mouthing her (same age) daughter and being like "girls are so dramatic!" and I was like yeah, pretty sure it's not a girl thing, because my son's that way too.

Oh man, Felix BRINGS the drama. It definitely peaked this past summer while we were moving (and staying with friends and family for weeks at a time). I'm pretty sure there was some "why is your boy such a cry baby" judgment with little sympathy for the fact we'd turned his life and schedule upside down. He's mellowed out quite a bit, but he still knows how to throw down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm 
Semen Strong

You know how whenever anything bad happens to a kid and people are all "Well, where was the mother? What a terrible person to let X happen to her child! Didn't she even look or care what was happening?"

Well, so that was me for the first time today. I was getting the stroller out of the car, put L next to me as I wiggled it out and put it on the ground, and by the time I looked down she was gone. And so I start screaming. And she is standing in the middle of the road having run to go pet some random dog. And the woman walking the dog gave me this look like "what kind of crasshole lets her toddler run into the street."

I can't believe how fast she moved. It was like she teleported around the car. I'm glad she's okay, and I guess I just can't put her down anywhere for even a second.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

it happens, tofulish. to everyone.

tzipi is 3 and did that for the first time the other day. never ever has she taken off, and suddenly she decided to tear down the sidewalk towards the busy intersection. AND I DIDN'T EVEN RUN AFTER HER, so confident i was that she'd stop in a few seconds when she realized how far away she was. and then she got closer and closer to the edge of the street and suddenly it dawned on me that she wasn't going to stop, and now i was a couple hundred metres away with a baby strapped to my chest and i was going to see my kid get run over. and then this older lady came around the corner and stopped her, and OMG the dirty look she gave me. i wanted to die.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh no! I am so sorry LB, its just the worst feeling. So glad Tzipi is okay!

I just feel so bad for all those parents whose kids really do get hurt in that split-second and then have to deal with all the judgement on top of all the pain of having lost a child.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yesterday Malka and I were headed outside for a late afternoon playground excursion and on the downstairs Malka noticed the downstairs neighbors' door was ajar, so she pushed it in and ran in. I went in after her, said hi to the neighbors, held their baby and chatted with the mom. Malka ran into the kids' room (15 feet away) to play with them. Three or four minutes later their older son (5yo) came out and said we had to come and it was really important. Malka had gone into their bathroom and had gotten into the tub which was still filled from a recent bath and was pouring water over her head with a cup and cracking up. It was funny because she was fine (it was especially funny because she INSISTED on putting on her big winter coat before we went outside, despite the fact that it was 80 degrees out, so she was wearing like 10 pounds of saturated clothing). But she could've been dead and I didn't do anything differently than I normally did and it was not unreasonable to expect their home to be pretty child safe as it usually is. Stuff can really happen quickly when you have your guard down. Also, we never made it to the playground!

Of course my husband completely flipped about it. In my book, she was fine, so it was fine, but he was still feeling really anxious about it many hours later and we had a big fight about it where he claimed he wasn't blaming me, but where he totally was.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

littlebird wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

lolz.

i'm mean mommy too then, because i find tzipi hilarious when she's SO SAD and SO MAD. omg, it's just so tiny and cute and also if i don't laugh i'll be reminded that my life did not used to revolve around meeting the insanely particular demands of a tiny dictator.

Have you all seen Reasons My Son Is Crying? I can't decide if it's a little mean (come on, kids have big emotions!) or really funny (their big emotions are pretty ridiculous from the perspective of adults).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kate wrote:
Have you all seen Reasons My Son Is Crying? I can't decide if it's a little mean (come on, kids have big emotions!) or really funny (their big emotions are pretty ridiculous from the perspective of adults).

Well, seeing as I'm the *crabby* crafter, I think it's really funny. ;D

Right now Raygold is crying because his corn flakes were too dry after he drank the soymilk. I said he could put them in my bowl of leftover cereal soymilk if he wanted to and he said okay, but then when I did that, he became full of teh woe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 am 
Nailed to the V

Tantrums. He's started having them. It's just so hard that it doesn't help when we try to do stuff - most of the time he just has to get through them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I know facebook pages are personal pages and people CAN post whatever crepe they want on them but I have two particular "friends" who I am just so OVER them using their pages to put post after post of how vaccines cause every world problem, how circumcision is THE WORST thing you can do to your child, how abortion kills, here look at this picture of an aborted baby, and how formula is the devil and that all produce unless it is organic will lead to cancer/autism/alzheimer's/unmentionable horrors, etc. And one of these women doesn't have a child. I actually LIKE these people and enjoy seeing what is going on in thier lives (one is a professional face painter who I live vicariously through) but I can't seem to block all the distasteful stuff - I guess I am just going to have to unfriend them, which is really a shame.

The woman who has no children particularly annoys me. I can see being interested in children's issues perhaps, but aren't their bigger issues out there then circumcision?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yeah, i have a few people whose posts i have to block. i try to keep the "major life events" thing on but uncheck everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 am 
Married to the wolfman

AR, I hear you about that. I have a very sweet friend who posts almost nothing except anti-vax stuff on her Facebook feed and while I really like her as a person, I really, really, really wish I could selectively filter those posts. It's so interesting to me because i think social media has a strong link with over sharing... I feel like 10 years ago, we would never have known the intimate details of our acquaintances' stances on a lot of these issues. And I don't know that I think that was a bad thing.

On the TEH WOE front, I remembered the thing E was devastated by the other day that made me start thinking about his woe-thing: the song "Wild Horses" by the Rolling Stones came on iTunes and it literally floored him. He lay down on the floor and just started weeping and when I asked what was wrong, he sobbed, "Mama, this song. This song is making me SO. SAD."

You have to admit that is KIND OF a funny thing to melt down about. (I didn't laugh then, he was so serious and just needed a hug.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

that is so funny. it is amazing how visceral a response some music can provoke.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:16 am 
Semen Strong

Awwww E!

Annasrobie, have you tried to make those people acquaintances and hide their posts from your news feed? That way you can only go to their pages when you feel like it, instead of having their posts foisted on you. And if that is still too much (fearmongering and the abortion kills babies stuff would be too much for me), I would reach out and let them know that you don't appreciate those posts - they might be able to make a separate group that just sees their cute family photos or whatever or at least they'll know why you are defriending them. I think sometimes people who feel passionately don't always realize how they are coming across - like all the new vegans who post horrible videos of animal cruelty. And its useful to be able to say "hey, you have an important message, but the way you're sharing about it isn't effective."

But ermahgerd all the fearbased woo people post, esp about formula and vaxes is so annoying, because its patently not true, and yet often people will refuse to consider the science that debunks it and just insist that it is true in the face of reality. Faith can be so annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The idea of seeing if they can make a "group" would be really nice! I may ask them if that is something they would consider...and I guess if they wouldn't consider doing that we aren't really as good freinds as I thought?

That is funny about E! Poor guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
I would reach out and let them know that you don't appreciate those posts - they might be able to make a separate group that just sees their cute family photos or whatever or at least they'll know why you are defriending them.

An old childhood friend of mine of FB is CONSTANTLY posting pictures of sunsets and those snarky ecards and other shiitake like that. While I like it once in awhile it was just getting to be too much! Her current friends told her she should start a separate page for all those post and SHE DID! All of her friends who want to see that stuff can now follow her new page. It's great and she was thankful to her friends for suggesting it to her and apologized if it annoyed people. So don't be afraid to suggest!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My uncle posts TONS of pro-gun posts and religious posts. So many, that it has gone beyond annoying and become completely hilarious.

That said, a friend of mine is always dissing public school kids* (they are drones! mindless drones! meanwhile she hasn't started homeschooling yet because her kids aren't old enough yet) and people who vaccinate, and then she gets all self-righteous about the raw milk/Weston A Price diet (Paleos don't seem obnoxious to me, but the WAP people make me mental) and how fat makes you thin (what the fizzle?!) and raw milk solves a multitude of ailments and high cholesterol diets lower cholesterol, and evil sugar is what gives you high cholesterol, etc. I finally had to just make it so I can't see her posts because I was going mental reading them every day.

* I just want to be able to homeschool my kids without getting shiitake for it and in return, I think it's a good idea to not dish out shiitake to parents who send their kids to public schools (I don't have a problem with state schools, homeschooling is just what works for my family), just like I want to be a vegan in peace and don't go dissing the diet of the majority of my friends.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Every time I see someone post something about WAP or about not vaccinating I just want to go lie down and weep over the absurdity of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:14 pm 
Semen Strong

WAPF is now recommending that (1) vegan mothers not breastfeed because their milk is too low quality and (2) they should be using home made raw milk formula instead. Because its not like raw milk poses a listeria risk for infants or anything. Silly Pasteur!

This doesn't go to WAPF so you're not giving it hits, but is a good debunking:
http://unlatched.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... -advocate/

From the (in)famous Sally Fallon at WAPF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 173  Next