| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:11 am 
Level 7 Vegan

hmm I wonder what's up with this since you guys didn't have to have this done! We had to do it for Dahlia too and that was a different dr so I thought it was standard. Also, Sierra's dr is very laidback and doesn't even seem concerned about her/my vegan diet so this is just supposed to be for lead testing. I spoke to his nurse and he told her to tell me to try again because the test is very important. He also asked if I'd had them try her hand, which I did not...that sounds extra-painful though.

I got some suggestions from local parents on a listserv I'm part of so I guess I'll try another lab.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:40 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Audrey, I believe it's a required test in NYC so that's probably why they're pushing for you to get it done. I would try another lab. Ada was pretty hysterical at her year check up but the nurse (at our pediatrician's office) was still able to get it done. I just had to hold her down on my lap. I remember her kicking off her shoes. Not fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

That moment you realize that making your kids pancakes for lunch on a day when they've been awful (because everything is bad and you just want a forking pancake) is probably sending them the wrong message.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:12 pm 
Semen Strong

coldandsleepy wrote:
Is the veinipuncture thing just for lead testing...? I'm just curious because no one's ever suggested it for either of my kids. (They've both had the finger stick for iron, but that's like... A world of difference. It's over in about five seconds.)

And yes, I know when I'm stressed, nothing soothes me like a nice bottle of water. YUM.

Your area might have lower risks? We are in Northern NJ (lots of air, water and soil pollution), with lots of old houses. We finally just declined the test - L is 18 months, doesn't eat dirt any more, and we had our water tested and its safe.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We just had a finger prick for the 12 month testing and I believe it was for lead and iron. We did it at my pediatrician's office. It was not fun, but the nurse was good with her. Going to a lab seems like it could be more stressful.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 pm 
Semen Strong

That's great! I remember Ariann did research that the fingerprick is accepted in many places, but our ped insists on the venipuncture.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

coldandsleepy wrote:
That moment you realize that making your kids pancakes for lunch on a day when they've been awful (because everything is bad and you just want a forking pancake) is probably sending them the wrong message.

It sends them the message that you are awesome, that sometimes it takes a little effort and a little comfort to make a bad day better, and that it's never too late in the day to try for a fresh start. Give yourself room to have fun!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

annak wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

It sends them the message that you are awesome, that sometimes it takes a little effort and a little comfort to make a bad day better, and that it's never too late in the day to try for a fresh start. Give yourself room to have fun!

Yes! I try to think of time in terms of their life experience... like one whole day to me is so short and easy to sum up (good vs. bad), but for BabyEnchilada it's this huge chunk of his life that isn't so easily quantifiable, ya know?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I did do a lot of research about the lead and iron tests and even got my doc to prescribe it instead (venipuncture is the standard in NJ) and when we showed up at the lab they said they wouldn't do it because that's not what they were set up for. They went on andon about the color of the tube they had to send to the testing place and how they couldnt use that tube for a finger prick. It was such BS.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:27 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Quote:

Annak, what a great message!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:
I did do a lot of research about the lead and iron tests and even got my doc to prescribe it instead (venipuncture is the standard in NJ) and when we showed up at the lab they said they wouldn't do it because that's not what they were set up for. They went on andon about the color of the tube they had to send to the testing place and how they couldnt use that tube for a finger prick. It was such BS.

Ugh! that's so frustrating. I guess I lucked out finding a pedi that does the finger prick in house instead of sending you to a lab. I never would have known to ask about this (or even research it). I think it's something I will tell my friends to ask about when they are picking a pediatrician.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yesyes wrote:
Quote:

Annak, what a great message!

Yes, really sweet!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:34 am 
Naked Under Apron

coldandsleepy wrote:

The other day, the kids staged a riot during breakfast and demanded waffles. I'm exhausted these days and caved pretty quickly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've ranted this a billion times before, but yet again the kid is sick with something she picked up at, I suspect, the play cafe. Has been for a week now, so probably isn't contagious, but we're basically trapped in the house. I think we'll have to bow out of music class, which will mean missing it 4 weeks in a row (last week the instructor was sick, the next couple she'll be at my parents'.)

V is bouncing off the walls. We just took a walk around the block and came back.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela was so not up for a nap at 1 or 2 or 3, so then I took her to the park at 3 (because it finally stopped raining and the dog needed to go out). After an hour, she fell asleep while standing up and has now been out cold for 3 hours. Yup, gonna be paying for this tonight.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Nijntje. Constant tantrums if I do not put on the Nijntje (Miffy) video when she wants it. Does she even understand any of it? I have no idea. I mean, she gets that the rabbit is Nijntje, but anything else? I have no idea.

I mean, I guess it's kind of good if she picks up some language from it, but I am getting so forking sick of the three Nijntje DVDs that we have. I guess it's time to order more, but of course I have to import them and it's E17 flat shipping, so then I order a bunch of stuff to make it worthwhile and then I'm broke. I know it's kind of first world problem and all, but....if I have to endure one more Nijntje tantrum, my head will explode.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 am 
Nooch of Earl

*sigh* Older kids in playgrounds. First, this must be some sort of generational thing, because when I was a kid, once I hit elementary school age I sure as heck didn't spend my free time going to the park playgrounds. I'd hang out in my yard or neighborhood, go to friends' houses, read books, whatever, not invade the local toddler slides at the city park. what the fizzle?

But that aside...

I don't like to go to far away from V at the playground.. I don't hover, but I'll sit on a bench or something while she plays. I'm tired of having to interact with older kids, though. They either try to force me into their make believe games (no I don't really feel like pretending the mound of sand you scooped up is a "cake," and no, I'm not going to protect said mound of sand from being stomped on by the toddlers while you run off and do something else), or make up arbitrary, stupid rules and act like crassholes. One group of about 3 ~7 year old boys actually told me that part of the *toddler* play structure was "boys only" so I needed to remove Violet. I just told them that I was PRETTY sure it was a public park. It took every diversity accepting bone in my body not to point out the irony of a boy with a bob haircut and another who'd--just 10 minutes before--collapsed into a crying mess because his water bottle was 20 feet away, acting as the gender police.

I like toddlers and preschoolers, but interactions like this are making me really not look forward to having a grade school age child. I know you're not supposed to think this way, but I can't help it: I don't enjoy their company, by and large.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Okay, that is pretty awful annak! Were their mothers around? I would have had a word with them.

I think this is one of those cases where you don't like other random grade school kids, but you like your own..... I hope. And I try (and often fail) to remember that like all other groups of people there are some nice people and some jerks.

We met a three year old today, who was horrified by the fact that Leela wanted to hug her, and just made the worst offended face and pushed her down and ran away. So I explained to L that not everyone wants to be hugged, and she should hug me instead, which she did.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh I wanted to vent on something and get some insight here:

I post that Leela uses ASL to sign, and a friend of mine who is a Montessori teacher sent me a message that "Just a friendly reminder! ASL causes speech delay, because it makes children lazy - why bother using their mouths to develop verbal skills if they can just use their fingers!"

So I am annoyed that (1) she claims this is a "reminder" - like the connection between ASL and language delays is somehow established (its anecdotal at best), and (2) Leela is just 18 months old and hitting all her speech milestones so I think its unfounded to start to make me nervous that I'm doing something "wrong" and staring down a future of expensive speech therapy to fix my mistakes (my nephews are in speech therapy and it does get pricey). And probably if I'm honest, I'm offended that anyone suggests my precious little snowflake is lazy in using her ASL, when I think she is a brilliant special special snowflake for being able to communicate.

My friend is pretty darned awesome most of the time, and is raising her children bilingual, speaking both Chinese and English, which can also cause a language delay (anecdotally) but in her kiddos hasn't at all.

I feel defensive, so I haven't responded, but I'm wondering if I should just let it go or write something diplomatic like "Thanks so much for your concern, but when I researched it, there doesn't seem to be a conclusive link between ASL and speech delay." But then I'm opening the door for a conversation, which I don't want to have.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
And I try (and often fail) to remember that like all other groups of people there are some nice people and some jerks.

Good advice, tofulish! Very important to remember that we can't judge while groups of people by how some act.

Tofulish wrote:
We met a three year old today, who was horrified by the fact that Leela wanted to hug her, and just made the worst offended face and pushed her down and ran away. So I explained to L that not everyone wants to be hugged, and she should hug me instead, which she did.

Poor Leela! I like how you handled it though! Sucks when kids are jerks but then I think about how they just haven't been taught not to be.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Honestly, I'd probably just go into troll mode, like asking why spoken language is better than signing or whether she thinks Deaf people are being lazy.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:19 pm 
And you never will.

annak wrote:
Honestly, I'd probably just go into troll mode, like asking why spoken language is better than signing or whether she thinks Deaf people are being lazy.

And this is why I love you.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Kelly wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
And I try (and often fail) to remember that like all other groups of people there are some nice people and some jerks.

Good advice, tofulish! Very important to remember that we can't judge while groups of people by how some act.

Tofulish wrote:

Poor Leela! I like how you handled it though! Sucks when kids are jerks but then I think about how they just haven't been taught not to be.

I don't know about this. I mean, doesn't that three year old have a right to not be touched/hugged by a stranger (or anyone)? Is 3 years old enough to understand and control her facial expression? I agree with your response, I just don't agree that the three year old was a jerk.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i'd say my 3 year old was being a jerk for shoving a baby. mine knows better, and even though she is still very much working on her public manners and interpersonal skills, i'd not be impressed by that behavior. she knows she's not supposed to push anyone, especially little ones... that's a pretty firm rule.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Okay, I can understand the shoving part. That's a good point. I was thinking more about how it looked from the three year olds perspective. Maybe Leela can ask if people would like hugs? Ummm...you know, when she can talk. Okay, nevermind.

Reply to topic  [ 4229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 170  Next