| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Cat, I love you, but I am not really interested in your bedtime jeremiad outside the baby's bedroom door.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Why does every animal in the house have to be right under my feet at all times. My dog sleeps right in the middle of anywhere I need to be, and it is driving me beyond crazy. Its sweet in concept, but in practice means that I spend the day falling over him - which is less than fun when you have bad knees.

I need a five minute time out, but I am racing the clock before bedtime. I hate feeling like a bad parent, because I cannot be patient with a toddler who is pouring another glass of water all over the carpet after being told not to, and generally pulling everything that I just cleaned all over the floor again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 pm 
Nooch of Earl

*hugs* Honestly, I've had to take the approach that if V's not thirsty enough to drink out of a sippy cup, she's just not that thirsty. (we do water out of her 'big girl cup' a couple teaspoons at a time until she dumps it on the floor, then its back to sippies)

Working on basically no nap today... Took her out for walks to nap twice earlier, hoping she'll fall asleep soon for an early bedtime and then just sleep through the night. Hope I haven't completely FUBAR.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:35 am 
Chip Strong

Me: Ada, do you want cereal or waffles for breakfast?
Ada: Cereal.
Me: Are you sure?
Ada: Yes.
Me (double checking): Do you want a waffle?
Ada: No. Cereal.
Fast forward two bites into cereal.
Ada: No cereal. I want waffle.
Me: You said you wanted cereal.
Ada: Noooo!
She then proceeds to push the bowl of cereal which lands in my lap where Alice is nursing. Pillow and Alice are covered in milk and cereal. Alice keeps nursing. I let her finish and then clean up. Both girls then poop as I sit back down to finish my breakfast. And that's my morning so far. This after getting maybe 5 hours of sleep total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:04 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
Why does every animal in the house have to be right under my feet at all times. My dog sleeps right in the middle of anywhere I need to be, and it is driving me beyond crazy.

OMG THIS IS MY LIFE.
i have lost it so many times with the dogs. i feel bad as i know this is a huge upheaval for them and they arent getting the attention they used to but OMG STOP STANDING DIRECTLY IN MY WAY.

when i am nursing on the couch there is usually one of them laying on the floor directly in front of me so if i want to get off the couch with baby in hand i need to step over the dog and try not to trip.
the beagle has taken to sleeping up against the cosleeper so not only do i need to crawl around the cosleeper to get out of bed in the middle of the night but now i have to make sure im not stepping/tripping over a dog, again with a baby in m arms.

ad they just are always generally standing directly in the way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sashi wrote:
Both girls then poop as I sit back down to finish my breakfast.

OH, GOD. Why do they save everything for when you want to sit down and eat?
You know the part in A Christmas Story where the guy says, "My mother had not had a hot meal for herself in 15 years," because his mom never gets to sit down properly and eat before someone asks her for something or she has to clean up a spill and whatnot? ----> ME. That's me right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:

I need a five minute time out, but I am racing the clock before bedtime. I hate feeling like a bad parent, because I cannot be patient with a toddler who is pouring another glass of water all over the carpet after being told not to, and generally pulling everything that I just cleaned all over the floor again.

There is nothing you wrote here that makes you a bad parent. If she is "pouring another glass of water all over the carpet" then don't give her an open glass of water. Miles refuses to drink out of any type of lidded container so we give him open glasses...but when he does what Leela was doing a lid goes on and that's that. If they are thirsty they will drink out of a lidded container. If they refuse then they really don't need it anyway. I also try to keep him in the kitchen when he is drinking from an open cup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I just wish I had more patience is all. She is so adorable and lovely and I still manage to get annoyed when something minor and foreseeable happens. I guess it feels like she is in the stage where she needs to learn somethings, so I am imposing unreasonable expectations on her and what she can understand. She is still a wee caveperson!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You are right they are just like wee cavepeople. I love and hate it! :) I think everyone imposes unreasonable expectations on their kids sometimes. You can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:23 pm 
Semen Strong

True! It must be even harder as they get bigger. Whenever I see Reno, its hard to remember that she is not even in first grade yet. At least with L, its harder to forget she's a baby, because I have to look down to see her, where Reno is nearly my height :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am sick, again. Nobody else is sick in the house. I don't think it's a germy sickness, I think something is wrong with my gut because this same thing just keeps happening again and again. I am so tired of being sick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, poor you being sick! I keep having the worst asthma flare-ups and I am so done feeling under the weather. I completely understand you wanting to cancel our playdate if you're sick!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I'm on the mend now. I keep having episodes of overnight gut distress - it's been at least once a month the past several months. The acute illness is always basically gone by around noon the next day, but I just feel lethargic and blech. Stayed home from work today to mend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Today I experienced the first time I was the one with the child screaming bloody murder in the grocery store. So much for the moby wrap being an infallible baby sleep inducer.

Totally my fault though for forgetting that even though she nursed for 40 mins straight she would still be hungry again 2 hours after she had started. Ooops

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:43 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We've all been there LP! The moby is great, but both my kids loved riding in the cart as infants (if you have one of those infant seats that fit in the cart).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ariann wrote:
I'm on the mend now. I keep having episodes of overnight gut distress - it's been at least once a month the past several months. The acute illness is always basically gone by around noon the next day, but I just feel lethargic and blech. Stayed home from work today to mend.

I had that a lot when I was pregnant with Reggie and a few times since then. I called it night of the living shiitakes (although I barfed sometimes too). It's awful! Fermented foods and spicy foods helped a lot (kimchi especially), bizarrely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

TCC, that's interesting. The fermented foods I would understand - probiotics and all that. Sometimes I think to take probiotics, generally I forget.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:39 pm 
Grandfathered In

Mine is driving me up the wall. He can be so damn surly and entitled. And argumentative and unreasonable. I try to be patient, but I often do a pretty poor job of it. He can make things so inconvenient and unpleasant.

Of course (of course), he can also be sweet and cuddly and fun and playful and kind. But lately, not often enough for me.

He's not even 11!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

FootFace wrote:
Mine is driving me up the wall. He can be so damn surly and entitled. And argumentative and unreasonable. I try to be patient, but I often do a pretty poor job of it. He can make things so inconvenient and unpleasant.

Of course (of course), he can also be sweet and cuddly and fun and playful and kind. But lately, not often enough for me.

He's not even 11!

This sounds exactly like my soon to be 6 year old daughter. This is going to be a long summer vacation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:45 pm 
Semen Strong

We have now had two bad experiences eating in restaurants that we thought were toddler friendly in the last 2 weeks.

First we took L to Veggie Heaven in Montclair on June 14/ I've been a regular there for 5 years and my husband has been going to for even longer, and they always greet us by name, and are supernice to L. Another customer started freaking out at L saying that she had shaken the booth and spilled water all over her. The woman was bone dry and her drink is full to the brim in front of her - so I tell her to calm down and stop yelling and instead of the management stepping in to defuse the situation, they just let these horrible people scream insults at us, until we were in a screaming match, with me holding L on my hip as they said they hoped I die. I am still pretty shaken from that, even though the management apologized to us and said those people aren't regulars and that they love us and L and hope we come back.

Today we brought L along with us for the lunch buffet and she was behaving really well and we were having a great meal when the owner/manager came by to tell us to cover her seat with napkins so she didn't leave greasy fingerprints on the seats, even though the seats were fine and she hadn't even been touching them. So we put down napkins, and finished our meal, only to have the waiter then make comments about what a mess she had left. She couldn't have scattered more than a few tablespoons of rice on the floor, sat in her seat the whole time and didn't yell or cry or anything. If you're going to run a restaurant and cater to people who have children, maybe part of the cost of doing business is having to clean up after your customers. We could hear them talking about us as we left, and it was just a miserable experience. I didn't feel like fighting, so we left a generous tip, but won't be back.

It just sucks, because really, L was just being a toddler and not even a bit loud or unruly, just not a tiny adult. I have no problem with adult-only restaurants, and there are very few places I would even take L, because she isn't a grown up or really suited for fine dining. But these were two places that were our standbys and I am really sad that we had bad experiences there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We've discussed this on other social media outlets already and I know your are shaken up still over the Veggie Heaven episode...i would be too...but i still think it's ok for you to eat there. To me that was a customer issue not an owner/management issue. I remember things like that happening in restaurants I worked in and it's sometimes is so shocking and sudden that I couldn't react quick enough to the situation. Its not like the management ignored that it happened. They apologized for something that wasn't their fault and even talked to you again at another event, you said elsewhere.

(i'm sorry i keep sticking up for VH. i love them so much and they have been so good to us since we have had our 2 kids. i think they are the friendliest restaurant around where you and i live not counting fast food places)

The other place...the lunch buffet, which was a different restaurant (that's not clear in your post) I would never go back to. I sometimes leave a bigger mess then my kids do and I've never had anyone say anything to me! If anything they should have waited until you were done eating and then if you were a crasshole, which you aren't, and just left the place a mess they could have kindly said something to you to not make you feel like a jerk.

We have been really lucky eating out. We only go to specific restaurants that we know are kid friendly and when Miles decides he is done sitting and wans to wander one of us will take him outside while the other finishes eating and then we will switch places if the other needs to finish or just take the food home.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That's sounds horrible Tofulish! I agree the VH incident sounds like it was out of the control of the management. The second place, ugh. I wouldn't go back either.

I tend to tip big to make up for extra messes. I used to wait tables and I know it's a pain, so I try to compensate for it. My partner on the other hand, makes a big deal if restaurants are not dad friendly...if there is no changing table in the men's room he asks to talk to the manager and tweets about it. I understand where he is coming from, but I don't seek conflict about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
with me holding L on my hip as they said they hoped I die.

She couldn't have scattered more than a few tablespoons of rice on the floor,

That just seems crazy that someone would say they hoped you would die at a vegetarian restaurant. "Hey, we don't eat meat and want to be kind to animals and stuff, but I hope you die!!!" I mean, what?!!

Also, maybe a few tbsps of rice is a lot of rice and a PIA to clean up because they don't have a broom or vacuum cleaner and have to use chopsticks and trained birds to pick the rice up one grain at a time, but WHO CARES?! -- It's RICE!!! I worked at a Starbucks in PDX where someone took a forking shiitake on a chair because they were mad that we didn't have a bathroom. We would have been thrilled to clean up rice instead and I'm sure the other customers would have preferred that, too. I honestly don't understand why some people in the service industry get so precious about little stuff. At that SBUX, we had to deal with thieves, crazy people, drug users, pee, poo, and more.

I'll take a nice lady with a kid who makes a mess any day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah seriously, your kid makes a mess in a restaurant, you apologize to the server (who most likely understands!) and you tip well. Probably happens to him/her 10 times a day. It's not fun, but it's part of the job and isn't worth anyone freaking out over. How you carry yourself through it is really want always mattered to me as a server. A parent who is like "Sorry! We're trying!" is a million times better than a rude person who is making you run for 90 different dumb things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

You need a Native Foods. Seriously, I travel half an hour down the highway just to eat at Native Effing Foods where everything's vegan, they have a kids' menu, the place is very casual and kid friendly, the staff are really nice about kids, and there are at least half a dozen other little kids there. I wish there were more places like this!!

But our time in Connecticut was quite possibly one of the most stressful. We had to eat out for almost all our meals, and it could be so hit or miss with Vi. I learned to always take a cheerio-esque dry snack, lots of wipes and napkins, a spare outfit, and a squeeze fruit with me.. and be prepared to ask for takeout and bail at any time.

At Leela's age, you could try adding a magnadoodle or aquadoodle, color magic travel kit, pad of paper and (washable!) crayons, or even ipad with you.. It's not dignified but it has gotten me through many a meal at a not-ideally-toddler-friendly place. If you have an iPad, we've had good luck lately with the puzzle type games - Tozzle HD, Endless Alphabet, ShapeBuilder, and Eduroom are wonderful. (Tozzle has a couple farm and zoo scenes, fyi) If you don't mind a little more nonvegan content, PuzzleFood and wonderkind's "My Animals" (they also make My Little Town and others that don't have the farm/circus scenes) are good toddler-minders. Unfortunately vegan and kid-friendly just don't overlap so much.

Another suggestion is maybe going with Panera/Noodles & Co/Chipotle type places for a while - the veg-friendlier "fast casual" genre with counter service.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 178  Next