| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:09 pm 
Semen Strong

We were at Rutherford Pancake House with Desdemona, VoR, Larisa and Ariann and both toddlers were very toddler. Malka shrieked in an octave that could shatter glass and both of them ran around the restaurant Benny Hill style. Not one eye was batted and not one rude comment was made. Not even by the guy sitting behind us, when L tried to color in his tattoo with a potato and a pink crayon. It was so nice.

Someone even told us they were well-behaved though that was before the full toddler Sturm and Drang erupted operatically through the place. Also their food is good so win win!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

annak, would kill for a Native Foods chicken thingie right now! We ate there like 3 times during our last trip to the Southern California area. Sorry, totally off-topic...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:06 am 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
I am sick, again. Nobody else is sick in the house. I don't think it's a germy sickness, I think something is wrong with my gut because this same thing just keeps happening again and again. I am so tired of being sick.

Ugh I hear you! L has the worst explosive diarrhea. She woke up crying for me to take her diaper off and then shat all over the bed, herself and me. It has taken 2 hours to clear the smell and I am still horrified.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:16 am 
Nooch of Earl

*hugs* Oh yuck Tlish!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
We were at Rutherford Pancake House with Desdemona, VoR, Larisa and Ariann and both toddlers were very toddler. Malka shrieked in an octave that could shatter glass and both of them ran around the restaurant Benny Hill style. Not one eye was batted and not one rude comment was made. Not even by the guy sitting behind us, when L tried to color in his tattoo with a potato and a pink crayon. It was so nice.

Someone even told us they were well-behaved though that was before the full toddler Sturm and Drang erupted operatically through the place. Also their food is good so win win!

That's wonderful T'lish! Finally a nice dining experience for you. Hopefully you will always sit near someone who will let L color in their tattoos with potatoes. :) I think a lot of time dining experiences with any aged child just depends on the luck of the draw with who else is dining in the restaurant at the same time as you. You might not be so lucky next time and have someone who would throw a fit again or you might have someone even more awesome then that tattoo guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh and now we have spontaneous vomiting in her sleep. I thought it was vomit first and then loose stools. Grr argh poor baby. And her vomit smells like cheese. And I am covered in it as is our bed. I had to cancel two events (including my uncle's 90th birthday lunch) too so this weekend has been such a bust.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish - awful. Is she getting better at all?

Malka was being so, so, so defiant this morning and the few times she has been like this I feel like I don't even know her. I don't know how to connect to her and get back to a happy place because I am so angry about whatever it is that she's doing. This morning we had an hour long power struggle over forking q-tips. Seriously. It would have been way easier for me to just brush it off and ignore her purposefully doing something I said not to do (and then doing it again when I gave her an opportunity to help clean up and in the end never actually helping clean up and just whining at me the whole time), but then I feel like I'm doing her a disservice by not setting boundaries since she's so clearly testing the boundaries.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann, I struggle with that a lot. Sometimes I'm tempted to just say "fine, whatever, you want it that badly? Tear your books up / waste toilet paper / eat only crepe / don't pick your toys up and deal with the consequences." I'm never sure when I should dig my heels in over something stupid and be just as stubborn as she is in order to set boundaries or whether I should just try to build in consequences and let her deal with them. Once she gets old enough to understand what's going on I'm half afraid I'm going to go full tiger mom and just throw out toys, etc. that she pitches a fit over.

It seems like such a great idea to make them help clean up the mess they created until you realize that you can't force that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So I feel like a terrible mother for it, but I would love it if she were less clingy. I am a fairly introverted person. I don't really like being randomly touched all that much to begin with, and this weekend has been very very warm. Nonetheless, she's constantly climbing on top of me, trying to nurse, etc.. I'm not planning on weaning her while she's getting her molars still or trying to potty train, and this is the best week for that for a number of reasons, so weaning is on hold for a little while. Still, she's nursed about 4 times since dinner an hour ago, and I just wanted to get something done and said no to her so she started climbing on top of me.. Well, while attempting to pull her off of my lap I ended up sending the laptop crashing down on my foot - luckily the laptop is fine but now my foot is bleeding. And meanwhile I'm trying to hobble over to clean it up and get bandaids and she's screaming at me for not paying enough attention to her. And now she's trying to pick at my toe and take the bandage off, and howling at me for writing this instead of nursing her.

I swear by about 7:30 in the evening I just want her to go to bed more than anything. She woke up at 5 this morning and had one short-ish (<2 hr) nap. If the deployment hadn't got extended we'd have less than a month to go! Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oy. That sucks, Annak. There is no natural consequence to not cleaning up five hundred q tips that my freaking husband left out for her to get into and that she proceeded to make rain down on the living room. She eventually stood there and watched me clean it all up like a chump.

My husband's mom was never able to get her kids to do anything. She would say something and they would laugh at her, that started in toddlerhood and continues now that they are in their thirties. She did in fact break many of their toys when she was pissed off at them. It was the only thing she could think to do to make an impression, but really they didn't even care about that because they weren't attached to stuff (still aren't - they both have crazy amounts of stuff for people who don't care about stuff).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Exactly--the natural consequence thing seems great in theory but what is the consequence to making a mess when you don't give a shiitake? I realize that for older kids it would be not doing something fun because your parent is stuck cleaning up the mess, but V doesn't get that yet so what the fork does she care? And the longer we stay in the house the crazier she gets, so really it just doubly punishes me.

I sound whiny and petulant. The good news is, V was asleep by 8:15 tonight after minimal drama. The bad news is, last summer's ant invasion is back with a 3 lane superhighway between under the door and the cat's food (historically moving the food just resulted in a bigger highway), and while potty training has been going ok considering her age, there have been a few random accidents and now my living room smells like pee but I can't steam clean while V is asleep (too loud).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just got the letter today that our home health visitor is coming on Monday for the 9 month check. I find this SO stressful! I'm not really keen on the health visitor assigned to our district--we had a sub from elsewhere once, due to illness and she was way nicer and more of a kindred spirit. Anyway, I know it's stupid but I just get all worried that she'll find something wrong with tiny wu or, even more likely, think we're doing everything wrong. It's just a huge combination of my natural more reserved personality (so people coming to my house to judge me and my kid is not my favorite thing ever) plus the whole "you do things differently than us because you're not Danish" business, plus the usual "you do things WEIRDLY because you're a hippie vegan" business.

Oh yeah, and the visit is scheduled for right in the middle of morning naptime and I can't change the date or time, so tw will probably be a cranky wreck, too.

Bleh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Day number 4 of vomiting and diarrhea. This just sucks. Poor baby had epic squirts all over the living room and is now sleeping it off in a 4 hour nap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Curious. Is there a number of days for consistent vomiting and diarrhea that would call for a Dr.'s visit? I really hope she improves soon. I want a spray park playdate when L is feeling better!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Dr Google says that between 3 and 7 days for vomiting and diarrhea is normal for an enterovirus, so because she isn't dehydrated, lethargic or feverish, I figured I'd let it go a bit longer. She is her same old happy self, except when she needs to poop. We are doing a bland diet, lots of liquids and nursing and lots of naps (the weather has been perfect for that).

Being sick in the summer is the pits! It means missing out on so many fun things - esp sprayground trips! I could take her out, but I'd be worried about someone else catching this. We went to the playground the day of the tornado bc there wasn't anyone else around, and I Purelled everything she touched.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

When Malka had that the ped said up to two weeks was what she was seeing in her office. And to not freak unless there are signs of dehydration. Of course we had her in that office every other day for a week because we were worried about more weight loss - they couldn't do anything helpful about that.

I recommend congee. Fixed me up really well last week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

aww poor Leela and poor Tlish too! Dahlia had a minor stomach virus a while back and we were really lucky it was mild but it did seem to take an eternity to go away. I hope she's feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Apparently Malka is back into biting! I hope this is a teething sign rather than a regression. She gave me a really hard bite on the shoulder today and there is still a mark eight hours later. Then she got my husband on the nipple (through his shirt) so hard he almost instinctively threw her on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Woke up last night as L was throwing up all over me and the bed. That was special.

I made congee (http://calmmindbusybody.com/congee/) (thanks for the tip Ariann!) and hope it settles her tummy. So much shiitake. And being stuck indoors is the pits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wow, that recipe is hard core. The one that was recommended to me last week which I think will be my forever-recipe is 1 cup rice, 9 cups water, a chunk of ginger (I used powdered), simmer about an hour and a half till thick and rice is broken down (actually took about an hour - used Calrose rice), add soy sauce, sesame oil, etc. to taste. I had it with soy sauce, frozen peas thrown in at the end, and when I felt a little better I also added sesame oil.

Sorry the pukes are continuing. Tummy problems are the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Baby stomach bugs coast to coast, ya'll. I had a terrible time getting to sleep last night, in part because M was so restless. Then twenty minutes after I fell asleep, he woke me up by vomiting on my face and into my hair. And I'm not talking a little spit up.

He's still off today. He's had some water and ate 4 saltines. Times like this make the thing where he refuses all non-water beverages and most solid foods (even when not ill) really seem crummy.

We're really hoping he has the same thing his father and I had over the past week, because we were each only sick about two days.

Hope everyone stays hydrated and feels better soon.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:55 am 
Semen Strong

Hurrah for solid poops! We seem to be done with our tummy bug. I had it and it was just a day, and not terribly pleasant, but not horrible. Poor Leela had it for a week, despite a bland diet and lots of nursing and water. So grateful for her being back to normal!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:10 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I don't have a baby with a bug - hope M feels better soon and I'm glad L is on the mend! I am here to ventilate about stupid things - but they are driving me crazy. I got up this morning and was going to make some pancakes. Should be super simple and quick right! Well I found that my husband who said he was doing the dishes last night had not done them - so they were all swimming in a sink of cold greasy water with all sorts of gross food particles floating around. Eww - as I draining the sink there are bits of paper towel and pieces of saran wrap floating around in the muck? AND I discover my pump parts at the bottom of the sink - covered in grease with HAMBURGER chunks stuck in the flanges. (I have asked him over and over not to put them in with the general wash...) I go to scrape the leftover food into the trash and see there is no bag, but the trash is about half full...and to top it all off I pick up the load of laundry that was taken from the dryer last night and discover it is still pretty damp and since it has been sitting out, now needs to be relaundered - and then discover that the washer is full of we laundry from the night before and the dryer has a half damp load from the night before - so 3 loads of laundry to re-do. I feel bad doing all this complaining because as we speak the husband is out in the monsoon with my car at the shop...but still!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:34 am 
Semen Strong

Annasrobbie, that sounds so frustrating! I hope your day gets better!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So of course the one time I don't immediately dump out and wash the potty (because it was about 4am and I was trying to get her back to sleep first and next thing I knew it was 6am), V dunks her baby doll in pee. And of course it's not the explicitly submersible one. And of course she has to clutch the pee-smelling doll and hold it directly under my nose while nursing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 178  Next