| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hint: The correct response to "Don't kick me. Kicking hurts!" is not laughter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

OMG my pump in hamburger water would have sent me flying off into a mad rage!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It would've sent me flying off to Babies R Expensive to buy a new set! (They sell them. Why do I know this? Because my MIL's dogs chewed up the originals.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:

Its kind of interesting how fast they figure out our buttons. Leela is doing the "Daddy daddy daddy" thing today. So if I ask for anything then the answer is no, and she will only do stuff for and with Daddy. Except when she is tired and needs to nurse.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:
annak wrote:

Its kind of interesting how fast they figure out our buttons. Leela is doing the "Daddy daddy daddy" thing today. So if I ask for anything then the answer is no, and she will only do stuff for and with Daddy. Except when she is tired and needs to nurse.

Oh god I would love a daddy snub right now! I spent the whole day entertaining her in the car and when we finally got to the hotel, "no papa, no papa!"

She wouldn't go on a walk with him or anything that took her one foot away from me. So draining.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, I've appreciated the break, but its interesting, because you can see her looking at me for a response to see how I feel if she deliberately snubs me. I am pretty neutral about it, unless its a safety issue - like refusing to come to me if I call and only going to Daddy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:23 pm 

Yeah, I try not to let politics seep into my interpretation of what she is doing. Sometimes d
She only wants papa and that can hurt my feelings unless I reframe it. It can be exciting when I choose to think of these annoying behaviors as real opinions or first choices. Not sure if that is what leela is doing or not, but I am trying not to take it personally.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, I remember that its nice to have the space to just relax, and I like your reframe of it as first choices.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My kid is learning all kinds of fun things from his friend whose family is staying with us right now. So much screaming. I am currently trying to survive the last day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician has suddenly learned to throw the most prodigious tantrums. We are talking like 30+ solid minutes of sustained screaming, thrashing, hitting anyone who comes near him, howling, etc. Attempting to interact with him at all seems to make it worse. It's that magic storm of heartbreaking and extremely tedious.

He's been doing it 1-2 times a day since Wednesday and I'm over it already. Please let this pass quickly.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annasrobbie wrote:
I am here to ventilate about stupid things - but they are driving me crazy. I got up this morning and was going to make some pancakes. Should be super simple and quick right! Well I found that my husband who said he was doing the dishes last night had not done them - so they were all swimming in a sink of cold greasy water with all sorts of gross food particles floating around. Eww - as I draining the sink there are bits of paper towel and pieces of saran wrap floating around in the muck? AND I discover my pump parts at the bottom of the sink - covered in grease with HAMBURGER chunks stuck in the flanges. (I have asked him over and over not to put them in with the general wash...) I go to scrape the leftover food into the trash and see there is no bag, but the trash is about half full...and to top it all off I pick up the load of laundry that was taken from the dryer last night and discover it is still pretty damp and since it has been sitting out, now needs to be relaundered - and then discover that the washer is full of we laundry from the night before and the dryer has a half damp load from the night before - so 3 loads of laundry to re-do. I feel bad doing all this complaining because as we speak the husband is out in the monsoon with my car at the shop...but still!!!!

OMG, this is like it's from one of those movies where everything increasingly goes wrong!!! You need some doofus to step in and accidentally straighten everything out.

Kelly, you always seem to have visitors. You should open up a B&B or something. Oh, wait, but then you'd have to give everyone breakfast, too! ;p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Kelly, you always seem to have visitors. You should open up a B&B or something. Oh, wait, but then you'd have to give everyone breakfast, too! ;p

The house is big and too many people know about it!! Pretty sure 2 extra rooms automatically turns you into a (free) hotel. Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:03 pm 
Chip Strong

Of course Alice had her six week growth spurt while my husband had four days off. So she slept the last three days and was wide awake last night and today. Silly baby, I could have used the break during the week. So I'm running on little sleep today and Ada won't nap. I almost got her to sleep but then Alice started crying as her eyes were shutting. So trying to get Ada to nap after that turned into her thinking its hilarious to bite and start throwing things. I finally got her to take a time out (which is hard to do when she knows I can't stop her from getting up while I'm nursing Alice). Ugh. And the ridiculous heat is making it impossible to go out in the afternoons with Alice for a long period of time so I just turned on Sesame Street to at least get a little break.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I cannot catch a break with this stupid stomach flu!!!

Leela was sick for a week, and we had our first friends playdate today (3 days after her last symptoms). She and her friend run around the spray ground, share food and steal eachother's water bottles, and then I see her friend straining and pooping in her diaper. Then I notice the water coming from her diap is yellow. And then there is poo on the spraypark floor. They had to shut the whole thing down for cleaning for the next 2+ hours. Other parents are getting annoyed and asking for refunds.

Apparently my friend's daughter has the stomach flu that has been going around her daycare.

Pretty much at this point there is nothing I can do right? I know viruses mutate, so she may not have any immunity to this one, even if she was just sick a few days ago, and given that they've already shared food etc, I can just wait the 3 to 7 day incubation period and pray that she doesn't get it again. My husband was telling me that I should try not letting L share drinks and food with people, which I get and makes total sense in theory, but its so hard to do in practice if other people bring out their food and she is begging for it. I also feel like nearly all of L's sicknesses are traceable to two kiddos who seem to be sick a lot and I am wondering if I should just stop doing playdates with them, or assume that that is the toddlerlife and sickness is just part and parcel of it, and I know it would be sad for her to miss her friends.

I am so sick of poop and vomit. We had to throw away my bedroom carpet, because we just couldn't get the poop smell out. I am so done with being sick, I almost cried in the car after we left, because it was a shitty horrible week and I really don't want another shitty horrible week, of a baby who is in pain while pooping and wakes up vomiting all over me and crying hysterically. ARGH!!!!!

Anyone have any magical remedies to keep her from getting sick again?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Oh no, Tofulish. I hope Leela stays healthy! Maybe some probiotics might help? I think I've read studies that indicate that they might help people avoid GI illnesses.... Can't hurt at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! Probiotics is a great idea! My friend called and said that she thinks it was just a one time messypoop not a virus, so hopefully I am just overreacting :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm 

Sorry Leela has been sick, T. That sounds horrible.

My vent is that I'm sick. This has been my first time really out of bed in the last 24 hours. I know it sucks to have a mama who is sick, but do you really need to nurse every ten minutes? I keep asking her if she's all done and I get a loud,"no!" I figure she is being needy because my partner is sitting on his butt playing with his phone instead of keeping her entertained which also irritates me to no end.

Fever and nursing don't really go very well together. I also don't want her to get sick. I'm concerned I might have strep throat. I had a high fever, headache, and slight sore throat. It doesn't bother me to eat. Could that be strep? I know...I should just go to make sure. Ugh.

Being sick just sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Usually strep throat = really bad sore throat.

T - sorry there may be another illness on the horizon! We are lucky Malka's been illness free for a long time now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry Butternut! I hope you feel better soon, and I completely feel your pain about a kiddo wanting to nurse non-stop when you just don't feel up to it.

L nurses when I am near, so if I can get a good distraction, she will generally leave my boobs alone. Last time I was sick, Brett kept her entertained downstairs and outside, so I could sleep. Can you send Mr. Nut out to a local playground just to give you a break? Its definitely hard with the heat though!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh wow, you guys, I hope everyone feels better soon and stays healthy! My entire family just got over being sick too. So rough.

So, since my one-year-old was born, my partner and I haven't had a single date/time away from kids (together)/etc. Not even once. We don't really have anyone to watch them - the people we'd trust are so busy already that even if they have time, it's never when we do. We're only near my partner's family, and they're not too keen on taking care of little ones. He mentioned something about once baby is potty-trained, she'd watch him. Seriously?! I've gone back to work part-time, so I also don't feel awesome about taking more time away from the kids for myself, but I'm really starting to need it. I love my kids, but I need more adult-time. Really could use time with my partner. Aghhhhhh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
My husband was telling me that I should try not letting L share drinks and food with people, which I get and makes total sense in theory, but its so hard to do in practice if other people bring out their food and she is begging for it.

I agree with your husband. I'm really not on board with food sharing. I stopped going to the (really lame) toddler group here when this kid with insane mucus running from his nose into his mouth was sharing his juice with everyone. (a) his mom looked so miffed that I was mad about random drink sharing (I was also concerned that it might have been milk or something) (b) Beet and I were both ill with bad colds by the end of the week. I don't like having sick kids or being ill myself, so I don't let my kids share food and drinks, even if it were to peas everybody off and make my kids cry and mean I have to be on the alert, ready to cock-block any food-sharing attempts (which I would have to do anyway when not amongst vegans). Full disclosure: I am probably more of a germophobe than average, despite not breaking out the hand sanitiser every 5 minutes.

More importantly, why do people take their sick kids out to crowded places and kids groups?!! Look at how many people were put out because of your friend bringing her sick daughter out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
My husband was telling me that I should try not letting L share drinks and food with people, which I get and makes total sense in theory, but its so hard to do in practice if other people bring out their food and she is begging for it.

I agree with your husband too. I do not let my kids share drinks with anyone sometimes not even family. I've been with you when Leela wants to drink out of Miles's cup and I don't let her and vice versa. Its not worth it. Food sharing depends. If a parent is handing out snacks then that is usually ok with me but once a kid sticks their hands into a bag or whatever with food then food sharing stops for us. Same thing if a kid drinks from my kids sippy before I can stop them. That drink is dumped and the bottle goes away until I can wash it. I don't care if my kids start begging for it. I'd rather them beg for a bit then be sick for a week shitting and vomiting all over me and the house. Leela loves to drink and eat so just make sure you bring a variety of snacks and drinks with you whenever you are out with other kids.

I would also definitely look into the probiotics things. L seems to catch sicknesses often so that would be great if that would help her out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm with Jenna on this 100%. It's one of those safety boundaries that are worth upsetting your kid over. Once you draw the line consistently enough times, they get used to it and don't protest as much. And it's MUCH easier to ingrain these types of limits early on rather than when they are older.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Kelly is right...It's so much easier to ingrain these limits now then when they are just a few years older. Especially when their health and other people's health is involved.

T'lish...how are you and your husband feeling? I know she got sick ON you a few times so are you showing any symptoms of the the same sickness. I sure hope not!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I am fine and she is as well, thanks for asking! I think its one of those things that the kids get but the parents don't really get affected by (except indirectly). My friend's daughter seems to be fine today, so we dodged a bullet there!

I really am going to be more vigilant with the food sharing. I hadn't thought about dumping the sippy but that is such a good idea. For whatever reason our littles seem completely obsessed with drinking other kiddos' water! And you are so right about ingraining those limits now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 178  Next