| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:45 am 
Chip Strong

As soon as my husband left for work this morning Ada decided I was not allowed to hold or nurse Alice or she was going to run out of the room screaming like a maniac and not stop. It took 45 min of me putting Alice down, calming Ada down, bringing her back to eat breakfast with me, then her running away as soon as I picked up Alice again to nurse, and repeat several times until Ada was finally ok with Alice in a bouncy seat at the table with us. But the bouncy seat had to be on the side of me that wasn't between Ada and I. She was fine the rest of the morning but my head has been killing me since last night when I got head butted in the nose by Ada (by accident) and this did not help.
These screaming like a maniac tantrums have been happening more and more lately over everything and its getting hard to go out without one happening. Yesterday it was because she didn't want the snack she had on the way home from the playground. She started kicking and screaming and punching the air in her stroller and actually kicked off a shoe in the middle of the street and I didn't notice for half a block. And then there was the one where I wouldn't let her carry my iced coffee because she needed two hands to carry it but she needed to hold my hand to cross the street. So she sat on the sidewalk and threw a tantrum. Anyway, I'm kind of having a hard time dealing with all of it and spent almost an hour crying when she wouldn't nap yesterday and in the process of trying to get her to nap she was biting, pulling my hair, and throwing things at me. And I just feel like the worst mother ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Sashi, I am so so sorry. I've been reduced to tears more than once by Dahlia and it's so hard. It will get better and I am thinking of you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

*hugs* Sashi, we're starting to deal with some of that and I can't even imagine having a newborn besides the toddler dramas!! Have you read "The Happiest Toddler On the Block"? It hasn't really worked for us but the mirroring stuff might be worth a shot. It's amazing what will set them off sometimes, and I find myself really struggling to stay calm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Hugs to you sashi, that sounds exhausting and very rough. I hope you can get some rest and relief over the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 am 
Nooch of Earl

Can I vent about caretakers here? Put my daughter into the base childcare for about 2 hours today while I went to a meeting. They mislabeled someone else's diaper bag as hers and fed her some other kid's food and water all evening. They mentioned something about graham crackers and I was confused (I sent her with some veggie crackers, plus a couple of squeeze things and some oat cereal) and then as I was leaving I discovered the mislabeling. I hope graham crackers is all it was....

And that she doesn't get sick from the water bottle. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:27 am 
***LIES!!!***

annak, that is super annoying. I fear that will happen everytime we send Malka to daycare.

Speaking of, the nanny didn't show on Wednesday ("the tire was a little flat, so instead of filling it/putting on the spare, I took it to the shop and let them talk me into doing eight hours of regular maintenance work on it, because isn't it better for all of us if my car is reliable?" Oh my God). So Malka went to drop-in daycare. Thursday, my husband was working again (usually works M, W, F, but there was a special project that needed to get done) so we were going to bring her back to daycare. She was sleeping in way later than usual and my husband was getting anxious, so he left and I was going to bring her to daycare on my way to work. Of course, when she woke up I noticed one eye was completely crusted over. Called the pediatrician, stupidly declined their offer to just call in a prescription to the pharmacy (because what if it wasn't pink eye? she's never had it before, I felt like that would be irresponsible - and hilariously the FIVE times I have had pink eye over the past few years my doctor has always refused to call in a prescription for me even though, TRUST ME, I know what pink eye looks like at this point), so instead we trekked out to their further location, saw the doctor we super hate in that practice, got a script, went home, I had to take the whole day off from work. And we were stuck inside all day because I didn't feel okay bringing her anywhere all contagious so she was completely batshit insane and didn't nap till 5pm, so I didn't even have the two hours of work e-mail time I thought I could bank on. Giving her eye drops is possibly the worst thing ever, by the way. Six more days. And I am kicking myself more because mere hours after the first dose she looked completely cleared up, no more eye weeping, no redness, so maybe it wasn't pink eye after all, maybe it was just some irritation from something and now that we've started on antibiotics I don't think we can stop, maybe I should've waited a day and then brought her in.

AND the nanny didn't come today either ("I decided to make an appointment to see my doctor about some congestion I've been having for three weeks. Wouldn't want to get anybody sick!"). Thankfully my out of work BIL decided he could help us out and came over. Argh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:49 am 
Semen Strong

Are you still interviewing for new nannies? Because G sounds like a nightmare at the moment. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to not know if your nanny is going to show up or not when you have work that needs to get done.

Sending lots of good thoughts and hope that Malka's pinkeye clears up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, we are still interviewing. It turns out that people who want to be nannies are like, super underqualified to actually be nannies most of the time, as well as super ditzy (hence, G, who at least is not super underqualified, just super ditzy). Ugh. It is a process.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ariann...they didn't give you a cream to run on her eyes? They gave both for Miles when he had it because of his age. He let us put the drops in the first 2 times and then that was it..never again. So we used the cream instead. It was so much easier! Are her eyes getting better? Little ones with pink eye is no fun..even when they aren't so little and Reno's age. She was the worst when she had it.

Sashi...Reno had those type of tantrums before I was even pregnant with Miles. She once threw a screaming fit and I couldn't figure out why. Turned out she wanted to eat pretzels. She didn't ask for them. She just decided to throw a fit before asking for them. It was insane. Miles is starting to throw tantrums now. His are way worse than Reno's. I lost my hearing for few seconds in one ear this morning from his screams.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I called them this morning and specifically asked for the cream (since I know it exists - I was prescribed it during pregnancy) and they said no, only drops, and that it doesn't matter if we get it into her eyes as long as we get it on her eyelashes. I have no idea why and I feel totally stupid that I didn't ask about this when I was in the office. I kind of feel like calling again and getting them to put on the doctor. Only the nurse talked to me and she was kind of harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 pm 
Chip Strong

annak wrote:
*hugs* Sashi, we're starting to deal with some of that and I can't even imagine having a newborn besides the toddler dramas!! Have you read "The Happiest Toddler On the Block"? It hasn't really worked for us but the mirroring stuff might be worth a shot. It's amazing what will set them off sometimes, and I find myself really struggling to stay calm.

I haven't read it but maybe I should take a look. It is amazing what sets them off and sometimes I feel like I'm walking around with a ticking time bomb.

Jenna, Ada has had quite a few of those having fits about something she never asked for.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Wow, Ariann, unreliable caretakers are the worst!!

Ugh, today is going just terribly. I was planning on having V take a nap and then going to the legoland water park. But she won't nap - we were so close and then three times I tried to walk back home with the stroller and the damned neighborhood dog gauntlet barked and woke her up. I hate that there's no way to get back to our house without passing, on either side of the street, two dogs that bark at people who are *on the sidewalk*. Also we pass new dead rodents on the sidewalk every day, so the outdoor cat owners are on my shiitake list as well. Anyway, she won't lie down and take a nap and when I tried to encourage her to I came back into the room to find her tearing library books. (I know, I should put them up high, but she can climb and move things to climb on and there is no more up high!!

Meanwhile, I have stuff to do to coordinate a mail drop, which involves running to 4 different houses around town and making sure everyone will be home, and I don't have time for this nonsense. I feel shitty because it's her birthday and I wanted to do something nice, but if I try to press on w/out the nap it's just going to be misery.

Oh, and after a couple of perfect days for potty training she just had three accidents this morning, two of them poop. I know it's a sign of progress that she tells me she needs to go when she has a turd half out, but OVER IT.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:34 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

annak wrote:
appifanie wrote:
Last night at dinner Livi started weeping because "I LIKE sleep now but it's so hard for me to go to sleep!" and then she just sobbed a bit.

annak wrote:
*hugs* deployment or geobaching?

Stay strong and keep busy!

deployed again - 4th time.

Yuck!! It's amazing how much tougher it is with a kid. I hope you have lots of help! Mine will be home in a few weeks (our deployment got extended, feh) and I'm so looking forward to it.. as much to wash my hands of policing the command-wide spouse dramas as to have my husband back! This looks like it'll be our last deployment for a few years, though, since they've put my husband up for a shore job in DC in january. Back and forth like Sisyphus!

Extended, of course! He's only gone 9 months this time, so no leave in the middle, but I counted and he's really gone 10 1/2 months, so wth? Somehow this time it's just incomprehensible that they deployed him again. Shore job, good luck!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

sashi wrote:
annak wrote:

I haven't read it but maybe I should take a look. It is amazing what sets them off and sometimes I feel like I'm walking around with a ticking time bomb.

M's big tantrum trigger is being handed things directly. Like food. You can't hold out a piece of food to him, you have to set it down near him and then back away... like you might with a wild animal. I... don't even understand it.

E went through a phase when M was little where every time I picked M up to nurse him, E would start shrieking/crying and trying to climb into my lap as well. Comically, when he stopped doing it? M started doing it every time E would get into my lap, perfectly mimicking the tone E used to use. He still does it. He'll stand there shrieking like an angry bird while I read E a bedtime story. It's kind of cute in a WTH babies kind of way.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:20 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

coldandsleepy wrote:
M's big tantrum trigger is being handed things directly. Like food. You can't hold out a piece of food to him, you have to set it down near him and then back away... like you might with a wild animal. I... don't even understand it.

One of the twins I take care of has taken to having tantrums when I ask her if she wants to eat. (She does NOT want to eat.) I recently asked her brother if he wanted to eat and she thought I was talking to her and she screamed for a good 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Miles asks for apple juice. He gives me the cup he wants the apple juice poured in. I fill it with apple juice. He has a tantrum. Makes no forking sense at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 pm 
Semen Strong

JENNA wrote:
Miles asks for apple juice. He gives me the cup he wants the apple juice poured in. I fill it with apple juice. He has a tantrum. Makes no forking sense at all.

I am pretty sure Miles is the Honest Toddler. http://thehonesttoddler.com/dear-juice-ceo/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, T'lish, that's so funny!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

That is super funny!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 am 
***LIES!!!***

Ariann wrote:
I called them this morning and specifically asked for the cream (since I know it exists - I was prescribed it during pregnancy) and they said no, only drops, and that it doesn't matter if we get it into her eyes as long as we get it on her eyelashes. I have no idea why and I feel totally stupid that I didn't ask about this when I was in the office. I kind of feel like calling again and getting them to put on the doctor. Only the nurse talked to me and she was kind of harsh.

I got my husband to call back, thought he'd be more persuasive. Nope. They said the cream is not as broad spectrum as the drops, so they don't like to prescribe it. But they did say as long as the drops got in the corner of her eye or on her eyelashes that would be fine and not to worry about forcing her eyes open. We could even do it in her sleep, they said, which is hilarious n a lot of levels.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Some customer in the post office asked Raygold and Beet if daddy was going to buy them a toy and "wouldn't it be nice?" Big fat tears ensued when Raygold got home because daddy didn't buy him a toy or a cars notebook. *sigh/eyeroll*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Some customer in the post office asked Raygold and Beet if daddy was going to buy them a toy and "wouldn't it be nice?" Big fat tears ensued when Raygold got home because daddy didn't buy him a toy or a cars notebook. *sigh/eyeroll*

Why would someone do that?!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:51 pm 
And you never will.

Ugh, Crabby, that's worse than the woman who offered my kid some chocolate and THEN asked me if he could have it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Wow, that would've turned me into the stabby crafter in your place.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Sashi, I hope things get easier soon. That sounds really difficult, especially with the lack of sleep and recovery from birth.

My vent is I'm so over this heat wave. I have a ton of homework, a toddler going nuts, and I'm tired of planning my days around where I can get some air conditioning. Why does the weather have to suck when I have time off work? I'm ready for some carefree fun without complications!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 177  Next