| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 169  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
I think its the same people who are expressing shock at Princess Kate's "mummy tummy" and surprise that she isn't back to her prebaby figure a day postpartum. Aka idiots.

Yes. I had so much sympathy for her standing there in full makeup, hair did, and just thinking of how much time that took and how draining it would feel to go out there where you know the whole world will see you...right after giving birth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 am 
Naked Under Apron

Beetroot patted my stomach the other day and asked if I was growing another baby. ;p

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 am 
Naked Under Apron

Our downstairs lady has caused so much trouble for us and the letting agency. The latest is that her two outdoor cats have worms -- they poop everywhere (including all over our veg patches), don't bury it, and she won't clean it up, so Mr Crabby does, since we get paid to be the gardeners (and when he asked if she'd dispose of the poop with her kitty litter, she yelled at him! And said no, since it didn't say she had to in her lease!!). She won't talk to us (but she will spy on us like a forking creep), so we had to tell the letting agency to tell her about her cat poop worms.

I'm too paranoid to let my kids play outside now (they are mad at me, but that forking cat poop is everywhere; half the time my husband is out doing the gardening is spent cleaning up the poop) and I'm wondering what to do about our garden veg. I assume the stuff that can be cooked is no big deal, but the lettuce and radishes....

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I didn't actually even know the people involved, but the other day I was waiting in line for water ice and there was a family with a couple of small kids. The smallest one was maybe 2 or 3, and was crying a little, like...not big deal crying, just a little whimpery. So totally out of the blue, another adult (who looked to me to be about the same age as or younger than the parents) was sitting on a nearby bench leans over to these parents and goes, "You should not let your daughter cry like that!" in the most obnoxious, condescending tone. I've heard parents talk about how rude strangers can be sometimes but I don't think I've ever actually witnessed it firsthand! It was so completely absurd and inappropriate. Like, what were the parents going to do? Kids cry sometimes! Yeesh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:02 pm 
Semen Strong

CC, I am so sorry your neighbors are so unhelpful. I seriously cannot imagine anyone telling me that their life or their children's lives were impacted by my behavior and me not being apologetic and doing whatever I could to remedy the situation. I can't blame you for not wanting to risk the kiddos getting worms, and it sucks that your neighbor isn't at least a responsible enough pet owner to treat her sick cats. Grrrrrrr.

And CQ, sometimes I feel like having a toddler and a dog means that everyone feels like they can pass judgement on me and tell me what I am doing wrong.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

sashi wrote:
This morning some woman sitting on a street corner asked me how old Alice was. She guessed two weeks. I said no she was two months. Then she said "really? You look like you just gave birth. Your stomach is still ( hand motion making a belly)". Thanks a lot lady.

did you punch her in the face?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:04 am 
Bathes in Braggs

and ffs, with tzipi, my tummy bounced back immediately. by the time she left the hospital i was back in my regular clothes. because i was 26 and it was my first and just random luck of the draw in regards to body type. this time? at 29, and my second pregnancy? oh no way was i even close at 2 months to looking like i wasn't pregnant. i'm 9 months pp now, and i am still really poochy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We had a sleepless night. And she fell out of the crib and has a giant goose egg so there goes that routine. She can open her bedroom door so now that I'm taking the side off the crib, she will be free to roam the apartment in the night. Really looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Butternut wrote:
We had a sleepless night. And she fell out of the crib and has a giant goose egg so there goes that routine. She can open her bedroom door so now that I'm taking the side off the crib, she will be free to roam the apartment in the night. Really looking forward to that.

Ouch, sorry about the goose egg. In our apartment, there is a doorless doorway to the very short back hall with both bedrooms and the bathroom. We put a gate up in the doorway, closed the bathroom door, and left our bedroom door and hers open at night when we moved her into her own room. We still have the same set-up, but we took down the gate several weeks ago because she can open it now anyway. She still is very good about only getting out of bed and coming straight to us when she wakes up at night and usually I don't know she's up until she's right next to me asking to be picked up and put in our bed. Could you set up something like that so she'll at least be blocked from going anywhere dangerous when she wakes up and gets trained to just come to you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ooh sorry Butternut. I think like Ariann says, you might need to put up a gate. Although of course that will come with bonus toddler standing at the gate whining/crying, which is oh-so-pleasant. In my experience though, the idea of wandering around the apartment in the dark will very quickly become old (and sorta scary to the kid) but that doesn't really help assuage your worries. How long has it been since you took the side of crib off? We transitioned D from her crib to a regular lil bed around 2.5yrs old (hey, she loved the crib, what can I say?) and for a few days she was up several times a night to "visit" us, until the novelty wore off and she stopped.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

surprisingly, dd1 didn't ever go anywhere in the apartment except straight to our bed when we transitioned into a toddler bed. or sometimes, she even forgot and just sat there crying til we came and got her. there were a few moments of "oh shiitake" when she started waking up a bit earlier than normal and got into things that we didn't know she could get into (zinc cream and dirty diaper combo! yay!) but she got over that pretty quick too. we transitioned out of the crib at 18 months and it wasn't so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, Thank goodness I can keep the bathroom off limits.

Well, last night was the first night with no side on the crib and she got up and ran straight to my side of the bed around 12:30. I was awake in bed so I heard the whole thing; she didn't roam around the apartment. I let her sleep with me, honestly because I was so tired from no sleep or nap) from the night before. I know, not a great way to help her stay in her room, I just had no energy to put her back to bed. Before, she was consistently sleeping until 5 or 6 in the crib.

A gate doesn't work (she can open it). I'm wondering if I can fix her door to stay closed better? The catch on that knob is so loose the cat can open it (just by bumping with her head). It's the only door she can open. I feel like if it was harder to stay in her room she might resettle on her own, I don't know.

Oh, and lb, smearing diaper cream stuff is exactly the kind of thing I was imagining.

It's amazing how just when you have gotten comfortable with a certain stage they move on to something else!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

And I just found her on top of the changing table. Balls.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Cuddles, our pit-lab mix, likes to peas on all of Leela's toys. So the floor under the toy rack is stained black from pee (we redid the floor 2 years ago) and her Learning Tower reeks of peas. So my kitchen and dining room are pretty much constantly smelling like pee - and I am spending a ridiculous amount of time making them not stink and washing off all her toys because I don't want my kid eating dog urine.

I love my dog, but I am so frustrated with this peeing everywhere. He has been to the vet and is physically completely fine. He just likes pissing on her stuff I guess. I am going to hire a behaviorist because I cannot imagine spending this much time cleaning dog peas if I have 2 kids.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You often mention how Cuddles goes to the bathroom in the house (pee and poo) did he do that before Leela was born? I think seeing a behaviorist is an excellent idea. I personally think it's a jealousy thing especially since he has been to the vet and is completely fine health wise. I would lose it if my animals did what Cuddles is doing especially with two kids. Its hard enough to clean up after the kids! If it is a jealousy thing I can imagine it getting worse with a second baby in the house and even less time to devote to the dog.

Do whatever you can to keep her toys off the floor. Like high up off the floor. I don't think you can do anything with the Learning Tower since its kinda big..that might just be a lost cause but the toys you can definitely do something with even if it means keeping them on a high shelf or table and taking them down when she wants to play with them and putting them back up when she is done.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 pm 
Semen Strong

It can't be anything but jealousy really at this point. He never did this before she was born -and its really not poop much these days just pee (which in some ways is harder to find and wash off).

We go for a long walk in the morning, then we are home so he can go out any time he wants and he gets let out about every 3 hours and then one last time at 11 pm and then we wake up at 7 am. He is able to hold his pee without issue for longer periods of time (he isn't struggling to be let out or anything), and he is lifting her leg on the toys in marking behavior in very particular places, not peeing at the doors trying to get out or in the bathroom etc.

He is 11 so he is an older dog, and he isn't going to be with us forever, and I have to say, I doubt very much we will be getting any more animals until the kiddos are much older. I am very resentful of the peeing - I manage our whole morning, which is really the block of time that L is at her best, around his walk and I feel like I am doing the very best I can for him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Do you know when he pees on the toys? Is it at night when you can't see him? If so, could you maybe have the toys in a room that you close at night and to which Cuddles doesn't have free access, at least until the behaviorist starts working? I know I like letting Orion roam when I am sleeping or not at home, but if there were problem areas I would probably make them inaccessible until a better solution can be worked out. As long as your animal gets the exercise he needs, access to fresh water and beds, he doesn't really need a huge living room or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
I feel like I am doing the very best I can for him.

You definitely are. I've always admired your devotion to him since having Leela. You always make sure his needs are taken care of..etc.. You are an amazing animal parent.

Our cats aren't that troublesome. Riley just likes to pee in the bathtub sometimes but i'm with you. He's 12 and CB is around 8. Once they are past I don't want another animal for awhile. I love them to pieces but it would be nice not to have to clean puke off of rugs, toys, clothes, etc.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:01 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you, that really means a lot to me. <3 I talked to my friend at Pets for Life (I adopted Cuddles through them 6.5 years ago) and they are going to set us up with a behaviorist. I'm kind of kicking myself for not contacting them a lot earlier, but I kept thinking it would just pass.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i sometimes wish my cats were older, because it stresses me out when i think that both of them will probably be around for another 10 to 12 years at least. they have been a LOT of work since my kids were born, and i sadly don't get much joy out of them these days. i take good care of them, but there's a lot of resentment, especially to the younger cat, who pees everywhere, and also hates us... basically i feel like i'm paying to keep an angry, half-feral animal in my house.

anyway, i know it'll be different once the kids are a bit older, but yeah, i am really angry when i think about the stuff she's ruined (and it's not a health thing, she just doesn't like our busy house). and there were points when i was pregnant, with a potty training toddler, cleaning up pee from the rug, and i was just DONE.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:11 am 
Semen Strong

We were able to curb peeing outside the box using Cat Attract litter (I think it has pheromones in it). Otherwise one of our cats was peeing all over the house. Now its just the bathtub and the litterbox, thank goodness, because the stench of cat pee is beyond rank. And you have my sympathies, because when he was peeing all over everything, L was a newborn, so I was exhausted, sleep deprived, changing diapers constantly and then having to find and clean cat pee from the most random places. I had to throw out so many clothes because he was pulling them off the hangers in my closet, and then peeing on them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut wrote:
And I just found her on top of the changing table. Balls.

Oh, this is my nightmare lately. Freya is just now really starting to get into climbing. We still have a changing table that I've been debating about getting rid of for a couple of months, because she's wayyy too big for it, but we use it most every day for a nappy change or two and often to get on clothes, and we can look out the window and see all sorts of stuff. The windows are completely un-child safe and her room is on the 2nd floor, so yeah. I'd really love to find something to put there in place of the table so that we can see out the window, but then we'd have to keep the windows closed and locked anytime we're not in there with her. Her other thing lately is using her body as a sort of seesaw with random items serving as the fulcrum. Two days ago, we're Skyping with my sister and she's playing with this thing : http://i.ebayimg.com/t/little-tikes-act ... ~60_12.JPG and decides to lift up her legs (first time) and flipped head first over the thing. Geezus baby.

Did you guys decide to alter Babynut's crib because of the climbing thing? We've only seen F try to climb in so far, but y'know it's not a big leap to doing it on the other side.

@Tofulish, definitely talk with a behaviorist. One of my friends is the most amazing dog person ever, I have no idea how many dogs and cats he's fostered, and now he and his partner have a one year old too. I can hook you up on Facebook if you want to bend his ear for suggestions.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So I don't know if certain people are coming to visit us or not for any time out of the next few weeks, but I'd really like to know ASAP so I can know whether to line up a babysitter for events we might need to go to. ARGGHGHG.

(There are a couple of work-related things that she wouldn't really be invited to, but I'm sure she would be willing to watch Violet, and it would be kind of weird and awkward if I hired a sitter while she were there)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh man annak, I totally feel for you! I think people often forget how much harder it is to plan things when you have a baby or toddler. A bit of a heads up goes a long way!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We are in a constant holding pattern about whether or not we have to look for another apartment..let's see, it's now a 70/30 chance that we'll be have to move out in general, and then a 50/50 chance it will be by Nov 1 and aaaagh I just can't even do any more percentages! And everyone keeps saying "oh moving will be so hard with 2 kids" and honestly I think we can handle that just fine (or maybe that's wishful thinking!) but what's really gonna hurt is the extra $300-700 a MONTH that we're gonna almost definitely have to start paying for rent. Lalalalala this can't really be happening.

Reply to topic  [ 4225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 169  Next