| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Update on the biting situation: The directors at Silas' school held a bullying lesson yesterday with stories and an activity and said they saw something click with the biter. Now they are shadowing him to see if be shows any aggressive behavior, so they can work with him to find other outlets for his aggression & see if they need to take any further prevention steps. Makes me really happy to see them all working together to help the child and in turn make it a safer place for the kids. Reaffirms my love for this school <3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hurray! That's really fantastic news. I'm so glad everyone is working together to keep everybody safe and happy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thats so great that the school is being proactive about the situation since the parents obviously suck.
hopefully something did indeed click with this kid and his biting days are behind him!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:16 pm 
Naked Under Apron

holyyyy crepe Saturday may very well be the worst day (child-wise) that we've ever had. From very early in the morning Dahlia was just being defiant, nasty, hyper etc. We realized that time outs in her room don't work because she just makes a huge mess and does some kinda unsafe things (climbing!). So unfortunately we had to resort to standing her in a corner in our kitchen. It really really sucks but she was just out of control that day and we were at our wits' ends. Finally, it was bedtime and we put both kids to bed. About 20 minutes later D came strolling out of our room where Sierra sleeps and we thought, ok she has to pee and is just being defiant by going thru our room and potentially waking her sister instead of using the hall. Well, that wasn't all. She had dumped armloads of toys and clothes, including this big heavy wooden board with metal latches all over it, IN Sierra's crib on top of her. I damn near lost my mind.
Now I know some of this could be attributed to new sibling jealousy, but hello Sierra is 15 months old by now and I'd say 99% of the time D is super-stoked about her sister. It's also possible that she is picking up our anxiety about possibly moving, and we did just mention to her that she'll be attending a new school in a few weeks. When I write this all out, I feel like "DUH, of course she is acting up!" but I just had no idea she had all this VENOM in her, you know? The good news is she behaved slightly better on Sunday and has been pretty much back to her sweet self since. But we're still looking back on Saturday's events with horror.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:54 pm 
Chip Strong

Ugh, I hope Saturday was an isolated event Audrey!

Ada, Alice, and I are all sick. It sucks. Ada's voice is all raspy and Alice keeps coughing and then spitting up large amounts. Ada never had a cold as a little baby but I guess this was expected since Ada can't keep away from Alice. I guess this is a preview of what's to come once preschool starts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Kelly, I love your approach on the non-violence! So good to hear that Silas is so well supported at his school, and the biter will get the support he needs as well. Hurrah for great schools!

And Audrey, yikes! How terrifying! So happy Sierra is unharmed, and I hope that things get better soon!

Wishing you and your family lots of good healing vibes sashi! Selfishly, I am so happy you are staying in Brooklyn, so we get to have more playdates with you guys!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish wrote:

Wishing you and your family lots of good healing vibes sashi! Selfishly, I am so happy you are staying in Brooklyn, so we get to have more playdates with you guys!

Yes! I'll even admit I was secretly jealous of a move to the west coast, but happy to have you here with us.

My vent: I'm soooooooooo tired of playing peek a boo! She loves it so much and I can only do it like 100xs in a go. Am I a terrible mom?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:
My vent: I'm soooooooooo tired of playing peek a boo! She loves it so much and I can only do it like 100xs in a go. Am I a terrible mom?

If only they had an App for that!

And no! You're an awesome mom <3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am 
Chip Strong

I really wish Ada would let me suck the snot out of her nose instead of crying every five minutes "Oh no, my nose! I need a washcloth!".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk whined.....all day. like seriously ive listened to whining for like 10-12 hours now.
im going to blow my brains out.

then i said very calmly and not yelly at all "please stop whining" more to the universe than to her because obviously she doesnt understand what im saying.
and my husband has the audacity to say "it's not that bad"
PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU WERE AT WORK FOR 9 HOURS OF THE WHINING.

im going to go stab my eyes out now.

i dont know if she's teething or growth spurt or what but AHHHHHHHHHH STOP THE WHINING

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Butternut wrote:

at what age do they like peek a boo because BabyPunk doesnt "get it"

ive tried it several times since she was born and she just looks at me like "dude you're totally behind your hands, what are you doing?"

it's actually on my list of things to ask the pediatrician next week like "is there something wrong with her? she doesnt get peek a boo"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela didn't nap. I have been awake with her with no breaks for 14 hours. She kept almost falling asleep and then asking for a book or to go to the toilet. I planned to exhaust her so we had a morning playdate from 9 until noon, all running around and funtimes, and still no nap. Then I gave up on napping and had another afternoon playdate and she was saying she was ready to nurse on the drive home at 8, so I thought for sure it would be an early night. But no, after a bit of dinner then two more hours.

I am grumpy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:03 pm 
Semen Strong

So sorry LP! I hope you get some rest. Also, GP posted a chart of what milestones happen at what age that was superhelpful. http://www.polarisparkwayimpeds.com/pli ... ntal2.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:34 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
Butternut wrote:

at what age do they like peek a boo because BabyPunk doesnt "get it"

ive tried it several times since she was born and she just looks at me like "dude you're totally behind your hands, what are you doing?"

it's actually on my list of things to ask the pediatrician next week like "is there something wrong with her? she doesnt get peek a boo"

I don't think you have anything to worry about yet! Peek a boo goes through stages. It starts with what you're doing, all parent-baby observing. I'm at a different stage of baby-led peek a boo. She knows she can do it anywhere by covering her eyes. This is popular with strangers on the subway. Blankets, towels, ring sling, are all items that initiate long peek a boo sessions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the link tlish. i actually had that bookmarked from a previous thread and had forgotten all about it. it will give me some different things to do with her.
she hates tummy time and consequently she hates rolling but we've been practicing anyways ;-)

hopefully Leela finally went to bed sooner rather than later!

Bnut i guess we'll keep trying with peek a boo!
shes too young to have the manual dexterity to play herself (ie putting things over her own face and popping out) so maybe it will be more fun later and then i will be like OMG NO MORE PEEK A BOO!!! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:08 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Peekaboo was the first time Carlos laughed, it was so cute. And it was me doing it, him watching. Later he did it on his own.

I have been having to sing baa baa black sheep on repeat recently. Totally not vegan :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 pm 
Semen Strong

We haven't seen a friend of ours for a few weeks, because I got so fed up of Leela always getting sick after a playdate with them. But Leela asks for her friends all day, constantly - having imaginary conversations, asking if we can go see them etc. So we made plans and got together yesterday.

Today I get a text that her daughter has a stomach bug and I am just FML. And the two of them were just kissing and slobbering all over one another so, and did not share any water or food, so maybe it will be ok. I need a giant plastic bubble for my kid!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

dude this seems to be a common problem! what is wrong wit these people?!?!?
seriously!
im so sorry it happened again. maybe Leela will develop an immune system of steel from all these people.

we are still waiting for our first laugh here. she did two small tiny ones once. one for my husband and one for me. like a week ago it seemed like she was working on laughin but now she's been a cranky pants because of either growth spurt of teeth so she's all done with the idea of laughing for now ;-)

her new favorite thing is making smacky noises with her mouth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:47 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i miss my kids. i'm away for 10 hours a day and it sucks. i drop them off at daycare at 7:30 and usually don't get home until just before 5pm. they are doing super well at daycare and we definitely get good quality time in with them, but i miss them. especially when i'm teaching kindergarten, because those kids are only like a year and bit older than tzipi so i get reminded of her all the time. i got home at 4:45 pm after a craptastic day that included not even one minute free to pump (so, yep, 10 hours without pumping or nursing) and my partner had stopped off at the park with them before coming home. it might have been the rock hard, tender boobs, but i cried when i got home and they weren't there. and then threw my pump parts across the room.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Awww buddy. I'm so sorry. I was away from my kids for huge stretches of time this summer (leaving the house at 5 and getting back between 6 and 7) and yeah... It blows. Now that I actually see them for a couple hours a day, I realize just how much I missed them. It's hard because my job is really important to me, having that outside identity is really important to me, but they are also really important to me and though I think it's ultimately the right thing for me personally-- some days it's hard to feel like it's the right thing.

Hang in there, is what I'm saying.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have pinkeye.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 am 

Urgh. I sympathize. I have been through the joy of pinkeye countless times (preschool teacher/nanny) and it never gets any more fun. Hope you heal soon and keep it from passing to tinywu. Eyedrops for a ten month old would surely be a joy and a pleasure too. :D

To Freya, can we please please please get through this "scared of random shiitake" phase? A month ago you were running away from me at the park and today you cried at the hold music on the phone, because I got up to use the microwave during lunch, and on and on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Hugs to those missing their kiddos...10+ hours is so, so tough. I feel deprived and I'm only away usually around 8 hours. It's great to know that they are doing so well at school/daycare though I know that doesn't help much.

refinnej, oh that's a fun phase (and I do believe it reoccurs randomly too). So many emotions being felt by these little ones that I guess it has to come out somehow! I remember H complaining to me that when D was small, she'd freak about him leaving the room to pee - she'd sense him leaving the room but it wasn't til she heard him flick the switch on the bathroom light that she'd start crying. Our bathroom is maybe 15 feet from where she'd hang out.

my somewhat petty gripe is - D's pre-k program is only 2.5 hours so I thought we might be safe from the whole snack/lunch thing. NOPE. "Children are given a daily snack of 2% milk, a fruit and a grain product." Thanks but no thanks! Seriously, the "snack time" allotment is 10 minutes, why do they even bother? (I know the answer is to encourage socialization.) So now I have to ask if my kid can have water instead of milk, and what the hell is a grain product anyway? (I'm guessing some kinda cracker-type thing which will probably not be vegan.) I'm filling out the paperwork and am sorely tempted to put dairy/egg allergy but I want to trust that they'll make an exception for her without making fictitious claims. Oh, and that whole emergency contact thing - we're going to have to put down some friends I guess, but heaven forbid anything actually ever happens because 99% of my friends never answer their phone unless they recognize the #. So much stress over this stupid paperwork, I just have to believe that it will be worth it, right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Long ranty rant: We're supposed to go over to my partner's dad's house for dinner on Friday.* It's like the least baby-proof place ever. Two sets of easily accessible stairs - there isn't a way to block the one in the main living area, tons of plants and electronics and pictures in frames, all at baby-height. Zeph is now at the stage where if I remove him from something unsafe (like a heavy, tippy potted plant), he voices his displeasure by shrieking. But seriously, I literally have to chase and restrain him the entire time we're there. (And it's really the only time my partner sees his dad or has time to help with fixing things, so he kinda nopes out of baby-duty and they disappear to go fix something outside.) I actually dread going now, because it's really unenjoyable, and I can only distract Z with toys for so long. Would it be impolite to just send my partner and Iz? I feel like it shouldn't be a big deal, but I feel a little bit rude. Rude, but justified.

(We would just have them over, but we had them here last time after rain made the beach a no-go, and they invited us back to their place this time. They didn't seem to understand that I offered our place instead of theirs so I could keep my baby safe and not have to chase him all over.)

*We normally meet up about once a week or so, and over the summer, we'd been meeting at the beach or the lake or wherever, which has been great. Now the weather's cooling down a bit, getting rainy, so the plan is to have dinner at their (new) place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 pm 
Chip Strong

Oh Audrey we just went through allow that preschool paperwork a week or two ago. Now that I think about it, I forgot to finish filling out the emergency contacts! Ada is going to also have snack time in the 2.5 hours. They do a fruit and a cracker or something like that. We're going in to meet the teacher next week so I'm going to see how we should handle that. I know when we went on a tour of the school the kids were eating cheese crackers for snack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 178  Next