| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh wow, you guys are making me appreciate that Silas gets to bring his own snack to preschool (3 hours)!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:44 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Bodhi, I don't think it is rude at all.
If you are worried about it... maybe offer a dinner once or so a month at your place.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:00 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Kelly wrote:
Oh wow, you guys are making me appreciate that Silas gets to bring his own snack to preschool (3 hours)!

yep at her current place (a private preschool deal, 4 hours 2x a week) they offer an always-vegan snack like fruit and pita chips and she brings a lunch. She'll be starting public pre-k on Monday though and I'm already kinda regretting it (not just because of veganism, but other bureaucratic bullshiitake too).
Somewhere in the handbook the Board of Education says "If your family abstains from any type of food or drink forreligious reasons, let the administrator and teacher know." I'm just seriously hoping the head of the program + teacher at our particular school will be cool and recognize veganism as our "religion" haha. Honestly I think D would outright refuse the milk anyway and say "UGH" but some kind of cutesy package cracker thing, we may have a problem. The Board of Ed is definitely not known for its nutritional knowledge so I'm sure junk-y cheese crackers would be considered "grain product".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:50 pm 
Semen Strong

I am covered in markers and poo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:53 pm 
Semen Strong

I think the parent who brings home a particular toy should be responsible for cleaning up the havoc it creates. Mad love to my husband for the art table and markers and the ball pit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
I think the parent who brings home a particular toy should be responsible for cleaning up the havoc it creates. Mad love to my husband for the art table and markers and the ball pit.

Ha, yes. And those smug relatives who send excessively messy/noisy/tear-inducing toys too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

bodhi wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Ha, yes. And those smug relatives who send excessively messy/noisy/tear-inducing toys too.

And this doesn't change as they age. Dangerous toys should not be something I have to deal with.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am SO irritated right now. The hospital I gave birth to my son at (and the only one my midwife delivers at) just fired all their lactation consultants. NO lactation services are offered now beyond what the nursing staff can provide. I used the heck out of the LC's at the hospital last time - it was so nice to have someone to be able to call and consult with as an outpatient too! I want to boycott them now - of course the only other hospital in town that has LC services offers no wireless monitoring, tubs to labor in, or anything else that could facilitate a non-medicated birth. Just so annoyed. I am writing a letter but I know that will change nothing. Thier motto is "We Care" - yeah right. "We Care about MONEY" is more like it. They just purchased a multi-million dollar robot to do hysterectomies and other to take out prostates plus formed a partnership with Mayo clinic - but no funds for lactation services...I guess healthy people 2020 be damned right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

update: the school offers kids water, apple juice or milk. We explained that we definitely wanted D to just have water, but I tried to be really pleasant about it and say that D knows not to drink anything else. And of course, the "fruit and grain" thing in the Board of Ed handbook turns out to be "no fruit and Goldfish crackers", but D is welcome to bring her own thang - just no nuts, grapes, popcorn. Do I have it in me to whip up some of those Goldfish-esque crackers this weekend? We'll see! other than that she sometimes eats these Earth Best tiny graham smileyface things that actually have a bunch of protein in em, so that may be our back-up for a while. I just keep telling myself "its only 2.5 hours a day, how big a deal can this be?"
on the awesome tip though - the space is really, really nice and I think she'll love that. But we can't imagine 18 kids in that room though oooof.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been wanting to try that goldfish recipe, Audrey. I just don't have any small cookie cutters (or time!).

Babynut really likes those animal crackers they have at trader joes. I save them for emergency food situations when she needs something as cute as everyone else.

Oh, and babynut just started going to a nursery school two days a weeks (3 hours). They do a snack and they say its vegan. When we went to observe it was water and fruit and some dry cereal. We explained the vegan thing but I still worry about it a little bit. I really don't want her drinking juice either, but it seemed like neither did any of the other parents so I probably will have no problem there.

FWIW, I'm a public school teacher and I would say that we are pretty familiar with dietary restrictions. There is so much diversity in NYC that teachers have been put through this drill a lot. They specifically note religious reasons because that's a constitutional issue. I hope it goes well next week!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I was playing around with Leela, who has been so good with the toilet lately. I gave her a piggyback ride naked, and she released a massive quantity of warm peas all over my back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:42 am 
Nooch of Earl

Are those eco-car crackers being made again? Because those tasted pretty much identical to what I remember goldfish crackers being like.

We're on a road trip now and V's schedule is shot all to hell, and I'm sure everyone here with toddlers can imagine the fun that's been.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I dunno, but I just emailed them, because darn it, I want those crackers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela peed on the bed after her nap, because I didn't get her to the potty quick enough. Its been so nice not having to deal with urine, and now I remember why.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:06 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It has been a long day full of arguments and disrespect. They are banished to their rooms.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My sister made me promise her that I would tell her the moment I found out I was pregnant - so I did - with the promise that she tell NO ONE (especially my mother who is so negative about me having anymore children "you are way to old with your shriveled eggs" etc) Well, my sister has known for I think 5 days now and she just messaged me to say she was SO SORRY but that in her random ramblings to my mother she told her she was making a baby quilt for me...I am not really mad at her because I know she didn't mean to do it, and I also know that she has the loosest lips around so I shouldn't have told her if I didn't want it getting around. Anyway I am just irritated at the whole situation. I wanted to wait until I had at least the first US (if not the 20 weeks US - or maybe Crabby's method of waiting till the baby was born). Last time I told my mother - she was less than enthusiatic and even after being told it was a SECRET posted about it on facebook. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kimba wrote:
I dunno, but I just emailed them, because darn it, I want those crackers.

Okay, those crackers aren't coming back anytime soon, if ever. "We lost our supplier for them and have been having trouble finding a suitable alternative." Bummer. I'll keep my fingers crossed (metaphorically), but I won't hold my breath (neither metaphorically or literally).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annasrobbie, sheesh, what's up with your mother? That is wacky.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My MIL told her sister within days of us telling her, and asking her not to tell anyone else, that I was pregnant with V. Next time around, guess who will find out with everyone else (last time, at ~25 weeks)?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annasrobbie wrote:
My sister made me promise her that I would tell her the moment I found out I was pregnant - so I did - with the promise that she tell NO ONE (especially my mother who is so negative about me having anymore children "you are way to old with your shriveled eggs" etc) Well, my sister has known for I think 5 days now and she just messaged me to say she was SO SORRY but that in her random ramblings to my mother she told her she was making a baby quilt for me...I am not really mad at her because I know she didn't mean to do it, and I also know that she has the loosest lips around so I shouldn't have told her if I didn't want it getting around. Anyway I am just irritated at the whole situation. I wanted to wait until I had at least the first US (if not the 20 weeks US - or maybe Crabby's method of waiting till the baby was born). Last time I told my mother - she was less than enthusiatic and even after being told it was a SECRET posted about it on facebook. Ugh.

i really hate fb for things like this it's like people cant keep their trap shut.
we told my in laws about 2 months after i got pregnant because we wanted to be able to tell them to their face (they live 6 hours away) and then it was a constant battle to keep my MIL in line in regards to fb. she's such an over sharer.
literally anything and everything in her life goes on fb.
she shares every picture she sees etc.

i sent her a text message of an US and she posted to fb. nothing like having your private medical documents posted so publically.
my husband had to have a chat with her after i ended up in the hospital with preclampsia and she was like posting detailed medical reports of my condition like i was being treated with cervical meds. does the world of fb really need to know the status of my cervix???

and then after she was born we had to put them under strict no posting rule becuase you know it was our right to post about the birth of our daughter first :-P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes - my mother is a way oversharer too. I posted this before, but with my last pregnancy my mother posted a little video she had taken of us talking about our pregnancy before I had told anyone other then a few close family. She said it was accidentally done, and then made a HUGE deal about not wanting to take it down. Made out like I was just being completely ridiculous. I decided right then that she would be finding out about my next pregnancy when the rest of the world knew about it.

Your MIL and my Mother need to be placed in some type of intervention program LisaPunk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:32 pm 
ol' garly cooch

blasto is lying about everything. it's annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:42 pm 
Semen Strong

OMG JEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annasrobbie wrote:
Yes - my mother is a way oversharer too. I posted this before, but with my last pregnancy my mother posted a little video she had taken of us talking about our pregnancy before I had told anyone other then a few close family. She said it was accidentally done, and then made a HUGE deal about not wanting to take it down. Made out like I was just being completely ridiculous. I decided right then that she would be finding out about my next pregnancy when the rest of the world knew about it.

Your MIL and my Mother need to be placed in some type of intervention program LisaPunk.

Weve actually joked about a fb intervention and when my SIL was visiting she said the same thing. It's not just the pregnancy thing she is just constantly on Facebook.
I remember going out to eat with them and as soon as we walked into the restaurant she stopped dead in her tracks and I almost crashed into her with the baby. She had stopped to check in from her phone to fb. I wanted to scream NOBODY CARES!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:10 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Tofulish wrote:
OMG JEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS!

How are you?!?!?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 175  Next