| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kimba wrote:
kimba wrote:
I dunno, but I just emailed them, because darn it, I want those crackers.

Okay, those crackers aren't coming back anytime soon, if ever. "We lost our supplier for them and have been having trouble finding a suitable alternative." Bummer. I'll keep my fingers crossed (metaphorically), but I won't hold my breath (neither metaphorically or literally).

That is depressing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annasrobbie wrote:
(if not the 20 weeks US - or maybe Crabby's method of waiting till the baby was born).

Ahahaha, it worked out really well, actually! My MIL was thrilled and it's like we have an entirely new relationship with her. She's phoned us twice -- once to thank me for the lovely baby surprise and once "just to talk." !!
...Pretty sure my parents and sister still don't know about Vax.

In other news, Beet had his first playground drama. We were at the playground last week and there was a little girl and boy there and Beet went over to play with them and the girl kept shouting at him that he was "being rude" and he didn't realise she was being mean to him and wanted him to leave (something similar happened at another playground when he tried to play ball with these older kids and they were kind of mocking him and fake passing the ball to Beet and then throwing it to someone else, but he had no idea and was so happy, I didn't say anything, even though it was kind of sad). Well, she was getting really loud about how he was 'being rude,' so I told him she didn't want to play with him. He burst into tears and was incolsolable for ages (he always wants to play with kids and cries if they don't want to play with him, but this was about the worst I've ever seen him). Beet just sat by me on the bench, crying and crying and telling me he just wanted to play with the kids and why did the girl say he was rude?

Cue the [grandmother? mother? guardian?] of the children. As soon as I told Beet the girl didn't want to play with him and Beet ran to me, crying, guardian-lady came bounding over to the kids. I thought maybe she would say something like, "hey, be nice and let the kid play on the merry-go-round, too," but she just glared at us like we were vermin and started playing with the kids protectively for a few minutes before eventually returning to her bench.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I SAW JEWBACCA!!!! (not IRL, sadly, but i saw that online flicker there)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

also, yesterday the kid was super. super mature, good in public, i got to meet her new friends, nice kids, we had a great lunch and afternoon together, good quality time, yada yada, so OF COURSE today she is a total and utter jerkbag to me because I won't let her wear short shorts to school.
13 YEAR OLD WHY DO I KEEP EXPECTING YOU TO MAKE SENSE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:

This about sums parenting up.

The only upside here is that now you are due for a really good day again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

torque wrote:
also, yesterday the kid was super. super mature, good in public, i got to meet her new friends, nice kids, we had a great lunch and afternoon together, good quality time, yada yada, so OF COURSE today she is a total and utter jerkbag to me because I won't let her wear short shorts to school.

This! A million times over. ARGH!

Yesterday I was the worst mom ever! All because I didn't have the right change for the bus, 5 minutes before the bus gets here (Alex buses across town to her school on the city transit). Now... I know I suck because I had asked her the night before if her bus money was in order because her school issued bus pass is late.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ikea + strong willed toddler overdue for a nap + 33 weeks pregnant = just kill me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ohhhhhhh :-(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:24 am 

Mmmbaby, how 'bout we alter your world view just a bit, so that everything you lay eyes on is not considered as a possible projectile? OMFG how did I forget about this phase? We had our first coming-to-Jesus sorta moment this morning. The last remnants of babyhood slip away.....:)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The first week of school is killing us.

The week before school started, I was reminding them to clean their rooms. Set them up so you are all ready and organized. These kids are plenty old enough to clean their rooms.

Today, both girls could not find all the things they needed. And as a result there was much door slamming and yelling. Which set off their brother who is sleeping in the family room (for just another few days).

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

jeebus no kidding, huh? the kid's room is so messy that she can blow a whole afternoon "cleaning" it yet there are still no clothes in the laundry. i open a dresser drawer and it looks like forking Mordor in there. But what bothers me more is that then i have to listen to my mom say "you know, she's pretty messy isn't she..." as if she is anything other than a normal 13 year old (as opposed to me mum's other adult child, who is an abusive, self-obsessed liar [among many other things i could set the snark machine to fuego on but won't]).
deeeeep breath.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

jeebus no kidding, huh? the kid's room is so messy that she can blow a whole afternoon "cleaning" it yet there are still no clothes in the laundry. i open a dresser drawer and it looks like forking Mordor in there. But what bothers me more is that then i have to listen to my mom say "you know, she's pretty messy isn't she..." as if she is anything other than a normal 13 year old (as opposed to me mum's other adult child, who is an abusive, self-obsessed liar [among many other things i could set the snark machine to fuego on but won't]).
deeeeep breath.......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:35 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Hi everyone.
I'm here.
It's been rough, but getting better.

I'm really over people who are child free by choice telling me what a piece of shiitake I am for being a parent by choice. A "friend" recently said she could not respect anyone who had more than two children. what the fizzle?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

want me to go powder her booty? cuz i think you're pretty cool.
hope you're having a good day buddy. hang in there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

want me to go powder her booty? cuz i think you're pretty cool.
hope you're having a good day buddy. hang in there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm 
And you never will.

((((((((((JEWY))))))))))) I've missed you <3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:20 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband is out of town and I am just so tired. I feel like all I do all day is run after Leela, clean up, try and keep our poor injured cat fed and cleaned and medicated. And by the end of the day I am exhausted. I keep making stupid mistakes or dropping stuff, and I know its fatigue, so then I get frustrated with myself. Today I freaked out thinking I had locked my keys in the car at a farm about an hour from home. Turns out I had them on me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jewbacca wrote:
I'm really over people who are child free by choice telling me what a piece of shiitake I am for being a parent by choice. A "friend" recently said she could not respect anyone who had more than two children. what the fizzle?

I hate that.
Where is the rulebook for how many kids we are supposed to have/not have, because I haven't seen it?!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 am 
Semen Strong

Sometimes the hardest thing about parenting is just not being able to hear yourself think....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

I hate that.
Where is the rulebook for how many kids we are supposed to have/not have, because I haven't seen it?!

Here you go:

You can't have none, because that's selfish.
And you can't have just one, because how could you let someone be an only child?
And you can't have two of the same gender because don't you want a boy/girl?
And you can't have two opposite sex kids because doesn't a girl (boy) deserve to grow up with a sister (brother)? They'll be best friends!
And you can't have more than two because how can you overpopulate the world like that?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:50 pm 
Semen Strong

In one of my parenting groups, there was a long thread about that and the consensus was:

Having just one is selfish - because who will they play with and they will be all alone caring for you when you get sick and die.
Having two is selfish - because what if one of them dies (see above).
Having three of them is selfish - because if one of them dies, then you only have two, which is selfish because see above.
So having four is the perfect number. Because you have spares.

I didn't post in the thread. Because my mind was blown. I think in life you have to avoid people who are ridiculous. It makes it harder to have a lot of friends, sadly. But at least it saves you dealing with ridiculous people.

My vent is that its six weeks until L's birthday and I feel inadequate as a parent that we don't have more people in our lives to celebrate with us. (Irony, see above)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
In one of my parenting groups, there was a long thread about that and the consensus was:

Having just one is selfish - because who will they play with and they will be all alone caring for you when you get sick and die.
Having two is selfish - because what if one of them dies (see above).
Having three of them is selfish - because if one of them dies, then you only have two, which is selfish because see above.
So having four is the perfect number. Because you have spares.

Oh My God.

If it makes anyone feel better about choosing to have one, I have dealt with way too many families with multiple kids where just one winds up in charge of caring for elderly parents and when they die it is like world war three between the siblings. I guess parents just can't win. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's what I was thinking, Ariann. My mom is the only one who took care of my grandparents when they were both ill and dying. Her 5 remaining sisters couldn't be bothered.

You can't win!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:49 pm 

Please tell me that this was the parenting forum for the Onion, Tofulish.

We got some heat from our (mostly single, younger) vegan acquaintances when I was pregnant. If having Freya means I'm a bad environmentalist, feminist, yada yada...then so be it, because she's pretty forking awesome. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:00 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Having three is selfish because if one of them dies and then another dies you'll have one with no playmates. What if you have 4 and three of them die? I think you have to have 20 to make sure none of them are ever sad and you'll have plenty around to take care of you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 175  Next