| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, it happens to everyone. I've stepped on Inez, tripped her when she's running full speed, clocked her with the fridge door, etc. I feel terrible every time, of course, but it's just par for the course when you have tiny, fast people scrambling around below eye level. Plus she gave me a concussion once and was a champion nipple biter for a while. We're square.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks!

To cap off my day, L had the worst diarrhea. She filled two potties, and as I was walking to the bathroom to empty them, the dog stretched out right in my way. So I went to step over him, at which point he got up, and I stumbled and spent a few seconds praying that poop wouldn't go flying all over my freshly washed kitchen (My Dad and stepmother arrive tomorrow, so our house is spotless). And then I look at the dog and say "That was a dick move." And a little voice comes from the living room - "Dick move mama dick move."

And now the cat is vomiting all over everything.

Can today be over please?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

oh my god. you have had one hell of a day. hang in there!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, it had a lot of highs and lows. The highs were seeing you, eating amazing dosa and getting to hang out for such a nice long time. I feel so lucky to have gotten to hang out. Leela woke up after her nap crying for "More Gabby!"

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I suppose the bright side is that she had the diarrhea IN the potty? ;)

Sounds like a really tough day!! I hope it gets better soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Well on the bright side, at least the cat seems to just be vomiting because he is a cat, not because his wounds are infected. I checked his belly and everything looks fine, and not hot or inflamed.

I really cannot wait to not have to soak that little bugger any longer. And the feeling is completely mutual.

He is nearly back to normal, which I can tell because he is able to get on high things and throw them off again. For a month its been really nice being able to leave things on high shelves without coming home to find them shattered on the floor.

I have picked up way too much vomit and poop today. I dream of a day without having to come in contact with someone else's feces.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
And a little voice comes from the living room - "Dick move mama dick move."

I'm sorry T'lish, but I just burst out laughing here.
Sorry you are having a rough day! I hope things perk up soon! Without poop!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:13 pm 
Semen Strong

My stepmother is being an awesome grandmother to Leela, and generally, it has been an incredibly fun and warm visit. I had my guard up and was very worried about how this would go, but it has been lovely.

My only little vent is that despite being as accommodating and sweet as I can manage, my stepmother is a bit unreasonable in what she expects. They gave us a suitcase full of really nice hand-me-downs and some cute new clothes, and she wants us to do a fashion show for them with L wearing them, so that they can see how they look on her. Most of them are too big (3T to 5T) and I promised to send photos of her wearing them, but apparently they want to see her in her new clothes tomorrow, which isn't happening because we have music at 10 am and it is going to take every bit of power I have to feed her and get her into one outfit and out to class. There is no way I can put multiple outfits on a baby who would rather be naked, just for their amusement. This is why I try never to accept things from them. They're both very generous, but then demand a lot in return.

Am I being unreasonable? I am just going to pretend to try and fail in the morning, and then its going to fall by the wayside, but I do feel no matter what I do, there is always something more that I didn't do to their satisfaction, and my stepmother mentions it to my Dad, and he gets annoyed and tells me off for being rude. And it makes me sad, because for the most part, its been such a great visit, and I wish they could just enjoy what we did and not find fault. And it is a reminder that no matter how nice things were today, things fundamentally remain the same, and she is still going to find ways to gossip about me to make my Dad feel like I am a jerk who doesn't care about them.

But again, for the most part it has been really nice - lots of singing in the car, tons of attention and fawning over L, lots of people to snuggle and cuddle her. I never had grandparents, so I had no idea what I was missing, but its so nice for L to have had them here with her!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofulish wrote:
My stepmother is being an awesome grandmother to Leela, and generally, it has been an incredibly fun and warm visit. I had my guard up and was very worried about how this would go, but it has been lovely.

My only little vent is that despite being as accommodating and sweet as I can manage, my stepmother is a bit unreasonable in what she expects. They gave us a suitcase full of really nice hand-me-downs and some cute new clothes, and she wants us to do a fashion show for them with L wearing them, so that they can see how they look on her. Most of them are too big (3T to 5T) and I promised to send photos of her wearing them, but apparently they want to see her in her new clothes tomorrow, which isn't happening because we have music at 10 am and it is going to take every bit of power I have to feed her and get her into one outfit and out to class. There is no way I can put multiple outfits on a baby who would rather be naked, just for their amusement. This is why I try never to accept things from them. They're both very generous, but then demand a lot in return.

Am I being unreasonable? I am just going to pretend to try and fail in the morning, and then its going to fall by the wayside, but I do feel no matter what I do, there is always something more that I didn't do to their satisfaction, and my stepmother mentions it to my Dad, and he gets annoyed and tells me off for being rude. And it makes me sad, because for the most part, its been such a great visit, and I wish they could just enjoy what we did and not find fault. And it is a reminder that no matter how nice things were today, things fundamentally remain the same, and she is still going to find ways to gossip about me to make my Dad feel like I am a jerk who doesn't care about them.

But again, for the most part it has been really nice - lots of singing in the car, tons of attention and fawning over L, lots of people to snuggle and cuddle her. I never had grandparents, so I had no idea what I was missing, but its so nice for L to have had them here with her!

They want a fashion show?? From a 2 year old?! Hell, I don't know diddly squat about kids and I even know that's ridiculous. Whatever, some day you will tell Leela this story and how you saved her from having to be a dress-up doll for her grandparents' entertainment and the two of you will laugh and laugh and laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i assume you have things underway now but the best end to a fashion show is usually uncontained poopage. don't suppose you could get Leela to drop a turd on the runway?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A fashion show from a 2 year old in too big clothes? That's pretty hilarious/impossible/ridiculous. If you get stuck doing it, I'd like to see the pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Is my child on speed? What gives?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Looking forward to this fashion show update.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

After asking for Leela most of the day, we rushed to the park to play with her and Tofulish and she melted down and insisted on going home. Pulling into the driveway, "mommy, I want Leela!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That sounds about right, ariann. Everyday we are having stuff like that.

My in laws are babysitting this week and I came home today at 4:45. They couldn't get her to nap (understandable). As soon as she saw me she immediately wanted to nurse. Fell asleep. Hard. I tried to rouse her several times to no avail. Now she's up. Argh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's 10:05 and she's eating plain tofu. It's going to be a long night.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh Ariann!! V is fully into irrational meltdown territory as well. It's so maddening!!

Tlish, the clothes trying on thing is insane and annoying but in my experience pretty common among people who haven't had kids in a long time (or ever).. The corollary to this is that if you do put the toddler in whatever they sent and then she actually plays in it (and inevitably gets it dirty), they'll be angry that you didn't keep it completely pristine. It feels like such a trap!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

She was legitimately tired - no regular nap, fell asleep in the car, slept too short last night - but her response to being tired is so hard to stay on top of. Most of today she was running laps around me, jumping on me, climbing scary tall things, generally being destructive. So tired, just got her down to sleep for the second time, hoping this one lasts, I am going to bed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Z will not stop climbing on the table. He gets onto the chairs any time I turn to do something, and when I look over again, he's perched on the centre of the table. If I take him down, of course, he screams. He's been doing it since we got the table/chairs about a week ago, and I'm exhausted from continually guarding/taking him off/etc. Our apartment is really open and there's no way to block off the dining area. Bah.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I wish people would stop being weird about boys and girls playing together. If my son asks your daughter if she wants to seesaw together, he did not just "ask her out." They're two. It's not about mating, it's about playing on the damn seesaw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:51 pm 
Semen Strong

The fashion show ended up being okay. I just found one dress that fit her, and we made a huge fuss over how cute she looked in it, and they took a ton of photos of her in it with us. I think they were just really enthusiastic to see her in her cute clothes.

And now they're gone and I miss them so much. I never had grandparents, so I hadn't even imagined how nice it would be to have two grownups there doting on her, singing for her and playing with her all day long. It was wonderful and she was over the moon. Plus they were great at doing a lot of helpful things - so they took the dog out 3x a day, made us lots of cups of tea and generally were just amazing and wonderful.

Leela is now asking when we are going to go to Austria :)

And Mitten, I hear you! Its so odd how early the boy-girl language stuff seeps in - a woman in our playgroup was joking about an18 month old girl being a "cougar" because she was playing with her 1 year old son. Yeah. No.

And Ariann, L was worried for Malka, so after you left, she kept saying "Malka go home nurse! Malka mommy go home and nurse! Malka mommy nurse Malka bottle!" She seemed quite concerned to make sure that Malka was going to be well cared for after the playground!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mittenmacher wrote:
I wish people would stop being weird about boys and girls playing together. If my son asks your daughter if she wants to seesaw together, he did not just "ask her out." They're two. It's not about mating, it's about playing on the damn seesaw.

YES, YES, YES. This drives me batty. My son is not flirting with your daughter. He is cute, not a "heartbreaker". He will not be "driving all the girls wild".

People make me sickish.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 pm 
Dead by dawn

One of my coaches has a 14 month old son. Another is 20 weeks pregnant with a girl. And yes, people have already suggested that the two of these kids are going to be a couple. One of them Is. A. Fetus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:

And Ariann, L was worried for Malka, so after you left, she kept saying "Malka go home nurse! Malka mommy go home and nurse! Malka mommy nurse Malka bottle!" She seemed quite concerned to make sure that Malka was going to be well cared for after the playground!

Oh my God that is adorable. Besides whining about wanting Leela when we got home, Malka was totally fine and went back to hyper-happy for the rest of the evening.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:26 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

These preschool mornings are stressing me out. We can't get Ada to actually eat her breakfast. She nibbles and eats a little but usually it takes her a long time to eat in the morning and she eats multiple things over the course of a couple of hours. We offered her a bunch of stuff this morning and eventually gave her a muffin which she took one bite of. Then ate some yogurt. Agh. Then I have to wake Alice so that we can go. And then it's a rush to nurse her, change everyone's diapers, bundle everyone up. Then Ada hides Alice's sweatshirt and won't tell me where it is. I eventually find it and speed walk everyone to school (I have no idea why I just didn't get another one but I was so mad at Ada for not telling me where it was that I just had to get that one). Then back home so Alice can nap. And now I'll need to wake Alice again so we can walk back to preschool to pick up Ada who has been absolutely nuts after pickup because she is hungry and ready for a nap. At least I'm getting a workout with all of this walking back and forth at high speed?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 173  Next