| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:55 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh torque, I am so sorry! We had an amazing time with you, and it was so good to see you and laugh with you (and eat your yummy cookies!). I am so sorry Baggy didn't have a great time while you were gone.

Hula Hoops flicks the weasel! <3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So sorry torque! I am so happy to have met you and laughed with you yesterday.

Here are the goats from yesterday when they were running towards all of us:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I've had a sore/swollen throat for two weeks, and finally decided I need to see a doctor, but the only appointment I could get is for a time when my husband is in a meeting, so he can't watch Walter in his office while I go to my appointment. So I have to bring an almost-three year old to my appointment. What do other stay at home parents do? Anyone who could babysit is working during the day. I'm bringing several books he hasn't seen before and a bag of pretzels (to keep his mouth busy!)...wish me luck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i always did the same thing. what else can you do? and if anyone gives you any crepe about it, i mean really, how are you supposed to take care of the kid if you can't take care of your own medical needs first? not everyone has people who can babysit. good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

He'll hardly be the first kid in a doctor's office. If you go to a family practice, they probably have toys and books set up (that may have been handled by sick kids, but right now all kids are sick). I would bring some snacks he loves and can eat slowly, for when you actually need to talk to the doctor and not have toddler distraction.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:22 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have dragged kids to my oby/gyn. You have to do what you have to do.

Vent: I am starting to hate the amount of work the girls want me to do for Halloween. Although I should be grateful I don't have to take them trick or treating this year.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

after the mess i made of the costume, i don't think i'll be asked again!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
I've had a sore/swollen throat for two weeks, and finally decided I need to see a doctor, but the only appointment I could get is for a time when my husband is in a meeting, so he can't watch Walter in his office while I go to my appointment. So I have to bring an almost-three year old to my appointment. What do other stay at home parents do? Anyone who could babysit is working during the day. I'm bringing several books he hasn't seen before and a bag of pretzels (to keep his mouth busy!)...wish me luck.

I always bring mine unless my partner is miraculously able to take them. When I was pregnant, I took my oldest with me to every single appointment. They are pretty used to it! New books and a snack will definitely help! (It's also the one time I endorse letting small children play with games on a phone, although my little dude was 3-4 when I took him, so your mileage may vary.) Good luck, and I hope you're feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yep, I drag my kids to doctor's appointments too! I usually bring along suckers to try to keep them quiet when the doctor is in the room. We have no family around to help and I've had too many appointments recently to spend babysitting money on getting someone to watch them.
(I think it'd be a great business opportunity in my town to open a drop-in daycare center near our group of doctor's offices and hospital.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

It actually turned out okay. The office was so busy that by the time they called me, my husband was finished with his meeting and could come sit with Walter in the waiting area (his office is in the same building as the doctor, which is the reason we chose that practice). Still, the books and the pretzels kept him occupied for 40 minutes (!) in the waiting room, and my husband says he sang for awhile, too.

Didn't really get an answer about my throat, just wait and see and "Here! Take this heartburn medication, maybe it's that!" Bleh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I left Alice on the couch before and ran to put some bread in the toaster. I look over and Ada is carrying her across the room. I run over and Ada drops her before I get there. She landed on the back of her head and seemed ok besides a bunch of initial crying. I called the doctor and she said to just let her nap if she seems ok right now so she is napping. But I feel so bad. After finding Ada rolling her over on the bed the other day and aggressively bouncing the bouncy seat yesterday, I really can't leave them alone for even a second.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:08 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

oh yep Sashi, that's happening here too. Sometimes I freak out that D's gonna pull S's arm out of the socket, the way she tugs on her! Our answer is usually to separate them for a little while but no matter what D does, S just wants to go running to her. I wish I had an answer but I don't!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 pm 
Semen Strong

I discovered that L can reach the stove the hard way.

I was chopping tofu, and had a pan on the stove with oil heating up. And then I went to the sink, and L came up to me saying "Me cooking tofu!" So I thought she was asking to help cook, and said "Sure, we can do it together." Turns out she had reached the tofu cubes on the counter, and was throwing them into the pan by herself. I turned around and saw her grabbing the side of the hot pan, and flipped out. She is fine, but could have very easily poured hot oil all over herself. I held her hands under cold water for a long time, and it all looks fine, but we both had quite the scare.

I feel like I am always chasing to keep up with her new abilities.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
I discovered that L can reach the stove the hard way.

I was chopping tofu, and had a pan on the stove with oil heating up. And then I went to the sink, and L came up to me saying "Me cooking tofu!" So I thought she was asking to help cook, and said "Sure, we can do it together." Turns out she had reached the tofu cubes on the counter, and was throwing them into the pan by herself. I turned around and saw her grabbing the side of the hot pan, and flipped out. She is fine, but could have very easily poured hot oil all over herself. I held her hands under cold water for a long time, and it all looks fine, but we both had quite the scare.

I feel like I am always chasing to keep up with her new abilities.

One if the first words Grey learned was HOT! He knows that all things stove are pretty much out of bounds. Now he "washes" dishes while I cook. I fill up the sink with soapy water and he goes to town. It usually buys me about 20 minutes while I am doing other things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh yeah, and he only wants to take naps in the car. He didn't nap today and while it was overall fine, I was pretty angry for a little while and told him he couldn't talk to me for twenty minutes. Then five minutes later he was adorable and we hung out again. Sometimes I am so immature.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:41 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, L knows that the stove is out of bounds, and "Hot" was one of her first words as well. That is why it was so shocking to see her little hand in the pan full of hot oil.

Thank goodness she wasn't hurt, but it was pretty scary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What a scare! I'm so glad she is okay.

I'm having a hellish night. Maybe she has a cold? I am getting one so it could be that sh doesn't feel right either but she has not gone to bed yet and I have to get up at 5:30. Not to mention I had work to do that obviously isn't happening. Ugh. I bet my neighbors are wondering why so much tortured screaming is coming from my apartment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh Butternut! Poor you and poor Babynut! I hope she feels better soon and you can both get some much needed rest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:42 am 
Nooch of Earl

Sorry everyone has been having such scares! We've tried to drill the "hot!" part into V but I'm not sure how much it ever really takes.. although she does point to her play kitchen microwave and stove and say "hot! hot!" and use her play oven mitt to take things out so maybe a bit? I try to be vigilant about turning handles of pans inward, but our best burner is on the front so it's always a challenge.

My vent is that this morning, Violet had wet the bed (too much late liquid/no pre-bed pee, I think).. then we discovered the cat pooped in the playroom, THEN we discovered he peed a couple places on the carpet (because of separate husband and me snafus, both litterboxes may have been seen by him as sort of inaccessible)... THEN while my husband is cleaning that up V crepes her pants, I put her on the potty while I'm cleaning out her underwear and she toddles over, dropping dingleberries all along her path.

Still haven't had any coffee, and we need to leave for music class in half an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Babynut and Giles were on the same wavelength last night. He woke up screaming at midnight and would only calm down when being walked, rocked, and sung to at the same time. This was repeated for about 20 minutes every hour or so. Even when my husband took over I was still awakened everytime baby woke up. I feel like a zombie today at work. It is terrible not knowing what is bothering them! He had a little fever and I gave him some tylenol, but it didn't seem to improve anything :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

how long does the "i only want mommy and everyone else sucks and i will only sleep on mommy and no where else and on top of no one else and i will scream when i cant see mommy" phase last?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:59 pm 
Semen Strong

We had that as well, and now Leela really just wants to spend every minute with her Dad. So at least for us, it ended at maybe 18 months?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

We had it for the first year, maybe? And all of a sudden it's starting up again at 22 months...it's so frustrating, especially since we're about to have another baby! Bad timing, kid.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Oh dear god it lasts that long?????
My husband literally had to stand outside my bathroom door with her while I got ready for bed and brushed my teeth. Otherwise she started screaming. I closed the door so I could pee and she freaked out. In her defense she is overtired but still....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Well, it wasn't always that intense! But Sven was really attached to me until we stopped nursing (14 months), then he was all about daddy.

And I'm so mad at myself because I just realized I bought Sven leather shoes! I seriously thought they looked and smelled synthetic (do all vegans lose the ability to tell if something is real leather/suede, because I sure have), especially since the woman helping us said they could go through the washing machine. It sucks because Sven's feet are so hard to fit and I really love these shoes (they're Pedipeds).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 174  Next