| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So today the daycare center had a halloween party. They told us in advance they'd be having cupcakes, so I sent one in for my son. Well turns out, as we could see from the pictures they sent, that all of the other kids had a huge plate piled high with lots of goodies, not just cupcakes. All my poor kid had was one measly cupcake. On top of that, they all had juice boxes - and didn't give one to my kid!

I can understand being wary of which snacks to give him because he is allergic to soy & vegan...but we give him fruit every day. OBVIOUSLY he isn't allergic to juice! And if we gave him a cupcake loaded with icing, you know we're not health nuts against juice. So you really mean to tell me they couldn't give my kid a juice box??? Come on!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, that bites Aubade! I am so sorry! Poor Kai!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Audrey wrote:
this is a vent about family members, not kids but: Jesus effing christ you make a big deal about how your visit is going to be soooo wonderful because zomg you can babysit for us so we can actually do something like go out to dinner but then every.single.time we want you to, you're busy?!? My mom and aunt are both in town at the same time and yep, still haven't gotten that date night. Oh and bonus annoyance that my aunt keeps promising stuff to D and then not showing up or deciding at the last minute "You know, I think I'd rather do something else", with no apology or thought whatsoever that a four-year old is kinda crushed by your flakiness. Maybe it's just as well that we have no family who live here anymore.

Yep, my in laws are actually great, however they were here last weekend and I mentioned that Nate and I hadn't been on a date since June. :crickets: I thought they would at least offer to hang out with grey a little or tell us to go out after he went to bed or something. My mom gets here in a few days so we will get a few dates in then!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebear wrote:
Yep, my in laws are actually great, however they were here last weekend and I mentioned that Nate and I hadn't been on a date since June. :crickets: I thought they would at least offer to hang out with grey a little or tell us to go out after he went to bed or something. My mom gets here in a few days so we will get a few dates in then!

Glad you'll get a date in after that! My in-laws are the same. Super lovely, but never ever want to watch the kids for an evening or afternoon or anything. We haven't been on a date since before the baby was born, and it's getting kind of ridiculous. That's my vent. I just want to go on a date! They've been few and far between (like literally, less than 10 since my first son was born, partially because of the overlap of young kid/baby being born).

Aubade, that is so sad! That's too bad they didn't tell you the extent of the treats. And the juice box? They are pretty crazy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

bodhi wrote:
littlebear wrote:

Glad you'll get a date in after that! My in-laws are the same. Super lovely, but never ever want to watch the kids for an evening or afternoon or anything. We haven't been on a date since before the baby was born, and it's getting kind of ridiculous. That's my vent. I just want to go on a date! They've been few and far between (like literally, less than 10 since my first son was born, partially because of the overlap of young kid/baby being born).

God yes. Part of the reason we moved here was to be closer to my family, but evidently babysitting once a forking month is way too much to ask. How dare I go out and enjoy myself while I have a small child?! Don't I know the best part of motherhood is the martyrdom?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
bodhi wrote:
littlebear wrote:

God yes. Part of the reason we moved here was to be closer to my family, but evidently babysitting once a forking month is way too much to ask. How dare I go out and enjoy myself while I have a small child?! Don't I know the best part of motherhood is the martyrdom?

: ( That's also why we moved to where we are. I've been aching to get back to where we moved from. Only three more years! (Then we have to return, because that's where I'll be going to school.) This is one of the things I've promised myself about when my kids grow up if they have kids - I will help them out with things like this! Babysitting, helping when babies arrive, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Totally! Since Grey was born we've never been apart more than 8 hours. Mostly I'm ok with it, and then I remember that my husband has been on vacations alone!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

38.5 weeks and I have the stomach flu/gastroenteritis. This is my third time getting it this pregnancy. Good Lard! Sven seems to be coming down with it now but at least I think I'm on the mend at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:32 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Trying to decide whether I have enough energy to find all the duplo blocks in our bed and put them away or not...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just do a good arm (or leg) sweep, but make sure it's with enough force that they get knocked out of your path so you don't step on any later getting out of bed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:59 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ugh DO NOT WANT to live in a railroad apartment with 2 children, even if there are separate entrances from the hall to each bedroom. I mean christ, we barely have any privacy as it is! so really my vent is at these scam artists billing themselves as realtors trying to rent us a railroad as a 2 bedroom gaaaah must leave NYC NOW!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:52 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Vi woke up at 4am and wouldn't go back to bed. At music class she basically hugged another kid so mercilessly that she ended up pushing him down onto the floor and knocking his head into it with a loud thud (luckily he was fine and the mother seemed mellow about it, but so much for teaching being gentle). Then she took the world's shortest nap, and then we went to the play cafe where I had to drag her away because she was acting horribly towards a ~9 month old, grabbing toys out of his hand totally unprovoked. THEN we got home and she threw a half hour tantrum for a strawberry shake, even though I kept explaining that I didn't have the right ingredients.

And then she refused to even TRY her dinner (the sun dried tomato cashew cream penne from IDI, and "noodles" and broccoli are some of her favorite foods!) so she'll probably wake up early again from being hungry.

And I can't drink wine. Ugh. It's one of those days where I just fantasize about living the kind of life where I die alone and nobody finds me for weeks because everyone just stays out of my business and isn't climbing on top of me all "MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY NURRRRRR PEEEZ SHARE NURRRRS MOMMY OH POOS"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
Ugh. It's one of those days where I just fantasize about living the kind of life where I die alone and nobody finds me for weeks because everyone just stays out of my business and isn't climbing on top of me all "MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY NURRRRRR PEEEZ SHARE NURRRRS MOMMY OH POOS"

annak, I just laughed so hard. Good thing too since I came to say that on the way to our Thursday morning hand-off (I teach a 7:30 AM class; tiny wu sleeps in with her daddy), tiny wu vomited copiously. On the bus, all over... oh, everything ever. Poor Mr. Scandi (he is still in shock) cleaned it up with the Moby, so I had to carry my stinky child home in my arms with a backpack full of vomit-y laundry.

Luckily she seems fine now--took a bath and is napping peacefully, on me of course.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh no!! Poor tiny wu! I hope she's all better now, and that Mr Scandi has had a chance to relax and forget the morning's disasters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

So, it's cold. Baggy is now walking to the bus stop in a sweatshirt. I would like to believe that if she were cold she would dress more warmly. But this weather is colder than she is used to, and i really don't want her to have frostbite [yes i know, it's a little early for that still], and even worse, now i have to hear all day about how nobody can believe that she went out like that, or that i let her go out like that.
i am starting to get peeved.
on the other hand, should i care at all? the way we brought her up was that she was a smart kid, she'd figure it out, there were plenty of kids in the RiteAid last night in shorts and flipflops.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I wouldn't worry about it. I wore flip flops through an entire winter once in high school (in Wisconsin) simply because I could. When my mom pushed the issue it just made me push back more. If she's really cold she knows enough to put on her own coat, right? Maybe she would at least wear a scarf/gloves/hat with the sweatshirt?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i'm glad. i like to think she can figure it out herself. the problem is biting my tongue with the rest of my family. i swear, it's a wonder i have a tongue left at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Isn't she getting about three winters in a row with the moves? Tell 'em she's an expert.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I can't believe it's 2013 and we still haven't agreed as a society not to shout unsolicited parenting advice at random strangers out of car windows.

Yesterday I was out walking with M. We were walking side by side, with him exactly even with me, about two inches to my right. (I was the person next to the road.) We were halfway down our block when this woman who was pulling out of a driveway on the other side of the road pulled her car up to us, rolled her window down and said, "excuse me! excuse me! *I* live in this neighborhood and I just wanted to tell you, don't let your kid run ahead of you! People coming out of driveways won't see him!"

Um, what? Thanks I guess? It's not that it's bad advice or anything, it's just... the familiarity of it that peas me off I guess. The implication that I'm obviously someone who doesn't know not to let her kid run into driveways! Or that he was somehow in danger, walking next to me.

She must live like 3 houses down from me, and I've decided that if I see her again, I'm going to say something to her about it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Because it's totally the responsibility of the person walking down the sidewalk to make sure that some oblivious jackass doesn't back into him or her.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

annak wrote:
Isn't she getting about three winters in a row with the moves?

LALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!
(our winter doesn't get much below 30C, and I'm sort of afraid for when it gets colder. however, it was snowing when she left today and she was dressed for antarctica.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

coldandsleepy wrote:
I can't believe it's 2013 and we still haven't agreed as a society not to shout unsolicited parenting advice at random strangers out of car windows.

Yesterday I was out walking with M. We were walking side by side, with him exactly even with me, about two inches to my right. (I was the person next to the road.) We were halfway down our block when this woman who was pulling out of a driveway on the other side of the road pulled her car up to us, rolled her window down and said, "excuse me! excuse me! *I* live in this neighborhood and I just wanted to tell you, don't let your kid run ahead of you! People coming out of driveways won't see him!"

Um, what? Thanks I guess? It's not that it's bad advice or anything, it's just... the familiarity of it that peas me off I guess. The implication that I'm obviously someone who doesn't know not to let her kid run into driveways! Or that he was somehow in danger, walking next to me.

She must live like 3 houses down from me, and I've decided that if I see her again, I'm going to say something to her about it.

I used to love stuff like this even more when I was the nanny. If you run into her again, you should definitely work it into the conversation, that you're a vegan. I'm sure that would bring up some fun advice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Cuddles pushed Leela down a small flight of stairs, in his haste to get out of the door. She rolled down 6 concrete steps, banging her head on each one. I couldn't do anything and I couldn't stop screaming.

She seems fine thank goodness, but I feel really unhappy about the fact that Cuddles is always running her over or pushing her to get out of the door, and this time was the worst. I love my dog, but I would never forgive myself if L got hurt. I have tried training Cuddles to sit at the door and wait to be let out but no dice. I think I am going to try and just put him out first, but the problem is then I get crepe from people for having him off the leash.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish, that is really scary!

Downstairs neighbor kid taught Malka to say that her doll is a "dumb doll."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Whoa, Tofulish! How scary! I'm so glad she's okay. You must be feeling really shaken. I hope you can find something that works for getting everyone outside safely. The logistics of having a kid and a pet seem so tricky!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 177  Next