| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Crabbylicious wrote:
bisque stole my biscuit

I have missed you so much TCC!

Sending good thoughts to you Kelly and Aubade! It sounds so frustrating - I guess teachers have so much to worry about, its really easy to forget to take the time to make sure one kid with a special diet feels included, but that effort makes such a big difference. I hope you get another great ally after the break!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
Crabbylicious wrote:
bisque stole my biscuit

Sending good thoughts to you Kelly and Aubade! It sounds so frustrating - I guess teachers have so much to worry about, its really easy to forget to take the time to make sure one kid with a special diet feels included, but that effort makes such a big difference. I hope you get another great ally after the break!

I wish schools would just stop having food activities all together. There is no reason for it. Unfortunately it's not just one kid with a special diet. Its usually multiple kids and they all can't eat different things. My daughters class of 20 has 2 vegetarians, 1 severe dairy allergy, 1 nut allergy and 1 fruit allergy. We are planning their holiday party now and everything being suggested, food wise, at least 1 of those kids can't eat. There is no way to win.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:47 pm 
Semen Strong

I agree with you! Even with toddler playgroups etc, I see no reason why people should always bring food. Its an hour to 2 hour long event, and if your child had a good breakfast, there is really no reason why they need to eat a million goldfish crackers right before lunch. And its a pet peeve of mine to have to pull L off a snack when she can't understand why she can't eat it. She managed to wolf down a cheese stick and 2 bacon strips the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

JENNA wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Crabbylicious wrote:
bisque stole my biscuit

I wish schools would just stop having food activities all together. There is no reason for it. Unfortunately it's not just one kid with a special diet. Its usually multiple kids and they all can't eat different things. My daughters class of 20 has 2 vegetarians, 1 severe dairy allergy, 1 nut allergy and 1 fruit allergy. We are planning their holiday party now and everything being suggested, food wise, at least 1 of those kids can't eat. There is no way to win.

I hate the food activities, including the ones I run. And snack time. Apparently kids will die if they don't eat for 3 hours. When I do special events with food involved, I make them vegan (so I can participate, and that one vegan kid in the school) and gluten-free (have tons of celiac kids) and nut-free (for absolutely no good reason, shockingly there are currently no kids with nut allergies in our program, but we actually have a nut-free policy).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish wrote:
She managed to wolf down a cheese stick and 2 bacon strips the other day.

this is what people are giving their kids for snacks nowadays???? ecka.

my peeve is that my teenager has, for the first time, lost two library books. i am forking livid. this is like a cardinal sin in my universe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, bacon strips for a toddler snack sounds really excessively gross.

My school banned food activities this year for the first time. I like it so much! I no longer have to worry about the allergies and everyone is forced to figure out something more fun to do than just stand around eating snacks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 pm 
Chip Strong

Ok, a small food related vent tagging on the school food activities. I was going to make latkes for Ada's Hannukah potluck at school but she doesn't like them. Or at least she has refused to eat them the two times I made them in the last week. So now I don't know what to make. I could easily make dessert but many people already are. But none are vegan. But I really want Ada to be able to eat a fun snack. But I also want to make sure she has non dessert food to eat. But I certainly don't have time tomorrow to make multiple things. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I fully recognize that moving into a new house is unsettling for kids. But goddamnit Sierra, WHY are you wide awake and wanting to run around at 2am? I tried bringing her to our bed for nursing and sleepytimes but that lasted like an hour before she started kicking Howard and eventually getting down off the bed and running into the (dark!) living room. Then she made a beeline for Dahlia's bed and I had to tackle her. I so, so want to just let her cry but a)we have upstairs neighbors and I'd hate to start off like this and b)Dahlia is now sleeping 10 feet away from her. I do believe she is teething but she doesn't seem to be in any pain, just AWAKE. For 3 hours in the middle of the night. fork.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:15 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
And teething! Rub some whisky on your own gums because sometimes there is nothing you can do to help!
Doggone it, Crabby, I nearly woke the baby with my half-suppressed chortling at this!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:14 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ack Sierra suddenly doesn't like her crib, or maybe its location. We just moved so obviously I knew there would be an adjustment period but we don't know what to do. The last few days she has an absolute fit when being put down for nap or at bedtime. Like, screaming without taking a breath for 15minutes kind of fit. I go in periodically and calm her down but the minute I try to leave, she sits up and starts all over again. Last night it was so bad I brought her out and nursed her on the couch til she was deeply asleep and then managed to transfer her to the crib. But that's not going to work for Howard during the day obviously and I am really bummed at the prospect of suddenly reverting back to her being the way she was at 6 months old! We just need to be patient, right? But what to do in the meantime? We're already falling into a bad cycle of her sleeping in our bed starting around 2am - I thought we were done with that a year ago and I can't deal with it at this point, and now what was once a fun little bedtime routine doesn't work at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh no that sounds so hard! Can H try walking her in a carrier to put her to sleep during the day? That worked so well for L and another SAHD we know swears by it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:24 pm 
Naked Under Apron

That's the thing - the schedule is that she has a very limited window for nap because of D's school pick-up. She always falls asleep in the car on his way home from dropping D off, wakes up a little when he takes her out of the car, but always went down easily into the crib once inside the house. Then she gets about an hour and a half sleep before he has to go get her again. We are just freaking out that she is getting conditioned to sleep with us and that seems completely backwards - she'd been sleeping decently by herself for almost a year now. It's so disappointing because we thought she'd love having a nice big room to share with her sister but instead it's bloodcurdling wails and general upset for everyone involved.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got zero sleep last night between the usual pregnancy aches and pains and the baby waking up to yell every 15 to 30 minutes. I wish I knew what was wrong with him! He has this terrible looking rash that popped up around his mouth about 3 days ago - at first I thought it was from just being too moist/pacifier - but it has turned REALLY red, almost blister like in some areas and pustule like in others. I am not good at diagnosing skin disease! My husband doesn't want to take him to the doc because he expects them to say it is a virus, keep it dry, it will run its course (which is likely) but what if it is impetigo or something that could treated with antibiotics?!
I have been avoiding caffeine this pregnancy, but I think today is AT LEAST a one cup of coffee day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

normally i would feel the same, and don't say this to give you more hassle than you already have, but there are viruses (that are easy to visually identify) that can be harmful to gestating women. sure that you've already been exposed, etc etc, but then at least you would have a heads up about any measures you might need to take. not to mention the kid- some of these viruses (i'm thinking the coxsackie we've been talking about) there are things that can be given to the kids to ameliorate symptoms.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 am 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry annasrobbie! That sounds really hard. I know you work in the medical area, so you probably know all this, but are the blisters anywhere besides his mouth? Any small raised bumps elsewhere as well, esp diaper area and hands and feet? Does he have a fever?

It may be coxsackie (also known as Hand, Foot and Mouth), which as you say is a virus, which presents first with a high fever and then the blistery rash (which can be anything from small, raised bumps (which L had on her thighs and feet), single bright red blisters, or a scaly red rash (which she had on her diaper area)). We have been dealing with that, and it looks like the blisters aren't nearly as bad as the rash with impetigo, which is a staph infection, and looks rather ooky (medical term) :). For L, we had three days of terrible sleep - but she mostly responded well to Ibuprofen to bring the fever down and we slathered her in coconut oil. She really didn't want to be touched, so although we bought a lot of topical benadryl and caladryl, because we were told it would dry out the rash and give her some itch relief, we didn't get to use it. For some reason she was ok with us putting the oil on but not anything else. We also gave her Thieves on the soles of her feet.

Fwiw, I didn't take her to the pediatrician, because I knew she had gotten it from a playmate, so I was prepared. But if I'd seen that rash without knowing her friend had it, I would have taken her to the pediatrician, to rule out impetigo as well. Can you at least call the office and send them a photo of the rash perhaps? I would have done that, but it was Thanksgiving and the whole office was closed.

I really do feel for you. It was really hard going through L being sick without even being pregnant, so it must be really challenging for you right now. If it is coxsackie, it might be worth asking your midwife/OB if there are any special precautions that you should be taking. And I absolutely agree with Torque's advice.

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts for a quick and complete recovery for all of you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:06 am 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry annasrobbie! That sounds really hard. Are the blisters anywhere besidea his mouth? Look for small raised bumps elsewhere as well. It may be coxsackie (also known as Hand, Foot and Mouth), which as you say is a virus, which presents first with a fever and then the blistery rash.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 am 

If you don't have some really strong expectations about what it is (like L being exposed through her friend), then I'd definitely make a quick trip to the doc. Do you think it could be some allergic reaction to pacifier/bottles/food?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:35 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Dear leaf blower guys: I know you can't help but be noisy and fascinating, but I really, really needed my kid to nap today, because I desperately need a nap as well. Thank you for cleaning up my yard, but I wish you'd picked a different day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for the advice and commiseration ladies. My first thought was HFM - because he does have a diaper rash too - but nothing on the hands or feet or in the mouth and he didn't have a fever. Anyway - apparently, per husband the rash is looking better today so hopefully that is actually the case. That is a good idea though to take a pic and email the pedi - if it doesn't actually look better I will do that!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:32 pm 

Ugh. I know you are just bored and stir crazy, but the levels of bossy and whiny we are experiencing today are about to push me over the edge. I will leave my socks AND slippers ON, damn it. I am cold. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mr. Scandi has been in Leipzig all week for work, and tiny wu has a cold. Last night there was a big storm in Denmark, so all the trains from Germany to Denmark were cancelled today. Mr. Scandi is stuck in Hamburg until tomorrow and I am so bummed. I thought he was getting home late tonight, and he called at 5 to say there were still no trains.

Also, his parents arrive for 3 weeks on Monday, and while I love them and am excited about their visit, it's getting me down that we now only have 1 day of just us before they arrive. Arrg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:42 pm 

Ugh. That sounds super stressful. Hope that the winds settle down and you can be reunited tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 pm 
Chip Strong

For awhile now Ada gets super crazy when her dad is putting her to bed. Like screaming, kicking, hitting...just completely nuts for a few minutes until he gets her to calm down. She wants me to lay down with her. Anyway, I just heard something get thrown and he came out with his glasses that are now broken. He is going to need to tape them if it's even possible (the piece that broke off is underneath one of the lenses). Maybe superglue will work. But yeah, that just happened.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:05 am 

Geez, that's intense. Has this just started lately? Whew.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:12 am 
Chip Strong

It's been going on for a few months at least. Maybe when I stopped laying down with her? I can't remember exactly. She gets so wound up at bedtime and usually starts talking nonstop about a million random things. It's pretty cute and entertaining but we just can't figure out how to calm her down. Then once I leave the room and the light goes off she just wants to keep singing or talking. I would say a couple of times a week she gets really really crazy like above. And if he gets up and leaves the room after being hit or whatever she just gets up and comes to the living room. And if I go down and lay with her she will just go to sleep. But I really need the break plus Alice sometimes gets up and I need to nurse her so he really needs to be the one to lay down with her (it can take 1.5 hrs until she calms down enough to fall asleep).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 178  Next