| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, sympathies to you mamas going through the rough times. LP, there is such a wide range of developmental norms for babies. F learned how to crawl (we'd seen maybe a half dozen instances) by maybe 9 or 10 months, but she really never ever crawled until well after a year, maybe more like 15 months...long after she'd been walking! I don't mean that you shouldn't pay attention of course, but there are so very many times when a child seems to be "delayed", but then, by the time they're about 2, everything is fine.

ar...that feeling of not being able to tell what your kid needs is just urgh. I think you've posted this already, but I can't remember: have you had G's ears checked? One of F's friends (just turned 2 in Jan) is going through something really similar and his mom is pretty frustrated. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
LisaPunk, Malka was very, very opposed to solid food until way past a year. She'd eat a tiny bit every so often, but only on her own terms. Os cereal was the most successful thing in the 9-12 month range (she won't eat them now, of course). She was on a 90% milk diet until past 18 months. Don't freak too much about it if you can. Your milk is still the most nutritious thing she could possibly be eating and what she will gain weight best on, so maybe she's just being smart about her food choices?

I'm sorry about the sleep and crankiness :(

i keep trying to tell myself this because i know any solid food she eats doesnt really have much nutritional value because she eats such a small amount and the two things she does like to chew on is celery and cucumber so practically zero nutritional value.

i didnt think of it that way in terms of weight gain so that is an excellent point.

i keep also trying to tell myself that everyone develops at different times. my best friend's baby who is a month older than BP is definitely the marathon runner/proust reader :-P
she's already walking. well you know like teetery walking but walking none the less. i walked at 9 months too.
my husband and i keep saying BP is more cerebral and not a "jock" hahaha :-P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

OK kid, you cannot just yell "CACKERS!!! MOMMY. CACKERS." at me and expect snacks to materialize in front of you. Harrumph. (and yes, she definitely knows the word please)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:07 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

My brother didn't crawl at all* and didn't walk until late because he was too damn lazy and would just cry and point until someone picked him up and carried him where he wanted to be. He is now a fully functional and capable adult who is highly athletic and very smart--but still wants other people to do shiitake for him. ;)

*Not totally true--my dad caught him once scooting across the living room but the second he realized he'd been seen he stopped, started crying and point where he wanted to go.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Now that I think about it, I wasn't any further along than BP at that age. I crawled late and walked very late - I was just more interested in watching the world than getting around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that is totally her. she is *so* observant.
when my parents came over yesterday she just stared them down for a LONG time.
half the reason she sucks at sleep is she's always watching what is going on.
she's a great travel baby because i take her places she wants to look at everything.

everyone has always said from the beginning how alert and inquisitive she is

yesterday both my mom and my husband were remarking how when playing with her shape sorter she picked up each piece seperately and turned it over and over in her hands inspecting it.
she seemed to know which shapes she had done and hadnt done.

so i guess she is just working on different stuff. the other babies i see who are ahead of her mobility wise seem to be a bit more noisy and thrashy and flailing around where she is more in one spot and looking at stuff.

one book i was reading was saying at this age a toy usually will only occupy them for a couple minutes at a time because of their short attention span but they are also easily distracted when they get upset. i have watched her sit for like 15 mins and spin the battle with rattles in it in a toy fish we have over and over.

ill still be interested to see what the dr says. i find it strange she's not even *trying* to do anything mobile-wise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Up until today Leela has always eaten really well and been willing to eat most of what we serve her (as long as its not spicy).

Today I made Butternut Squash Alfredo and she said "DISGUSTING!" And I asked her if she'd take a bite and she yelled "NO! TASTES YUCKY!" And then she ran away. She had avocado instead. But man, that was a giant pain. We didn't want to make a big deal out of it, so we didn't negotiate or beg, just said okay, if you're not hungry you can go play, but we're going to eat our dinner.

I assume she is practicing setting limits, which is great, but seriously, it sucks to make a nice meal and have it be refused. Especially when I know that she loves butternut squash.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

LP, Clara has always been barnacle baby. At 9 months NO WAY would anyone else be touching her. But by 14-15 months, if she has a long time--like a week--to warm up to people, she will. Last week I left her with our baby yoga teacher for a minute while I went to the toilet and she was just fine, which never would have been possible before. So there's hope. Good luck with the ECG.

Tofulish, that is so annoying! Clara's also usually s good eater, but having your nice food spurned is just the pits. As you said, especially when it's something you know they like!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ohhh TinyWu's name is Clara??? :-) that's BP's middle name :-) that was my grandmother's name and my mom's name is Claire :-)

my mom apparently was a "cry baby" so i hope it's not genetic cause so far she totally is!

i long for the days before stranger danger when she totally could be dumped on anyone family or stranger and be totally content as long as someone was holding her and moving around.

she used to fall asleep on my dad and now she wont go anywhere near him!

i think it's men with beards weird her out because she's not a fan of my FIL either. either that or men in their 60s. ha!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
Up until today Leela has always eaten really well and been willing to eat most of what we serve her (as long as its not spicy).

Today I made Butternut Squash Alfredo and she said "DISGUSTING!" And I asked her if she'd take a bite and she yelled "NO! TASTES YUCKY!" And then she ran away. She had avocado instead. But man, that was a giant pain. We didn't want to make a big deal out of it, so we didn't negotiate or beg, just said okay, if you're not hungry you can go play, but we're going to eat our dinner.

I assume she is practicing setting limits, which is great, but seriously, it sucks to make a nice meal and have it be refused. Especially when I know that she loves butternut squash.

So sorry you made a nice meal to have her not even try it, Tlish. I've been there and it's so infuriating!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Semen Strong

It is just so very arbitrary! I made a cream of garlic soup which was rejected with a yell of "TASTES!!!!" Which is what she says when she means "this tastes yucky" which is hilarious and also the worst insult for food she can muster.

So today I didn't even bother offering it to her. I just served myself a big bowl and this happened.

Because of course now it delicious.

And today's horrible upset was that I served her quinoa with brown sugar instead of maple syrup. Cue the dramatic tears and flailing on the floor. So then I gave her quinoa with maple syrup, and she fed it to the dog.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Dearest little baby I know you still a little yucky from your cold and your nose is still stuffed up. Normally I don't mind being used as a pacifier but if you don't figure out abetter latch or relinquish my nipple there will be no nipple left because your little razor teeth are sawing it off

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:38 pm 
Semen Strong

razor teeth + nipples = doubleplus no good

I feel your pain. Leela has been straight up biting my nipples when she is tired (on purpose) and accidentally bites if she falls asleep and I don't remove my nipple right away. Of course, if I remove it too early, then she wakes up and its another ten minutes of nursing, which all adds up into La Lactation Lamentation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

LisaPunk, BP sounds so, so much like Walter at that age. Almost everything you're saying is so familiar. He was serious and reserved, and really only laughed or smiled for his dad and me. He was clingy, especially around new people. He was (and still is) an observer. He had and still has a long attention span, and has always been able to entertain himself. He did not roll until 7 months, or crawl until 12 months (he learned to walk two weeks later). He just didn't care about moving. He was happy sitting in one spot, watching and listening and trying to understand everything. He was also an awful, fitful sleeper.

But now he is the easiest three-year-old I've ever seen. Compared to most kids his age, he has so much self-control. He's cautious, which means he's generally not doing anything dangerous or destructive. He looks at books or plays with his trains for long stretches while I cook or read the paper. He's kind and gentle and empathetic. He talks about his feelings and almost never has tantrums. He's just so easy to live with, and so nice to be around. He's still slow to warm in new places or around new people, but that's just him. I do find that because he's male and pretty big, people expect him to be rough and loud and destructive, but maybe because BP is a girl people won't have the same expectations.

That was long, but I just wanted to chime in as another mom of a quiet, still, observant kid with a long attention span. Good luck to you both with the EKG, that's tough. Walter had one at 6 months, and I just laid on the table with him and he nursed through the whole thing. The tech was rather scandalized.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Mitten, that's awesome about the nursing through the EKG. So smart.

Malka is very impatient and has no self control. I hope she grows out of it and this isn't a permanent character trait. It is already very annoying.

Edited because clearly can't read.

Last edited by Ariann on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 pm 
Chip Strong

You have given me so much hope, mitten! And I would also like to point out that Scarlett just learned to crawl at 19 months... She rarely says a word in the presence of other people, but with me and my partner she speaks in full sentences, so we are not at all worried about her development.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 am 
Baking In The Flavor

My son (he's 3 and 10 months) is really sweet and well-behaved most of the time. Like now, he's just playing quietly with his pirates while I have a bit of a break. But when he wants to throw a tantrum, he will really go to town. We accidentally left his stick at nursery earlier and he screamed most of the way home. Over a stick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahhhh Mitten thank you so much!!!! BP *IS* Walter! OMG!
she is sooooo serious.
for the people here who are my facebook friends they already know i post pictures of her as "unimpressed baby"
she's such a tough nut to crack! you really have to work for smiles and laughs forget about it. my husband can get laughs but me i have to really work and other people??? no way.

i was just thinking yesterday that im actually able to sit her on the floor with toys and sort of do my yoga dvd. it's not exactly the proper yoga workout because i still need to interact with her and everynow and then shake a toy or show her something but she's only 9 months so the fact that i can do it at all is kind of amazing. she will sit there and explore things and turn them over and over in her hands.
if i leave the room she doesnt do so well but again it's probably the age.

you have given me sooooooooo much hope.
i hope she is a good toddler like Walter. does he sleep better now that he's older??

mooo, BP is like Scarlett. she is so chatty with me and my husband sometimes but if anyone else is around she clams up. when we did her original intake for the early intervention program they tried to tell me she had a slight communication delay. i was like "uhhhh she's two months old" so ridiculous.
even now she wont make noise in front of them (other than crying) and they ask me what kind of sounds she makes im like "uhhh baby sounds?"
the funny thing is she did a variety of different sounds for awhile. she did mamamama and dadadada ad i think soem g and b sounds but my husband has been on a campaign to get "dada" to be her first word and now all she does is D sounds and dadadadada.
hahahahaha
im like "you're so obsessed with me why wont you say mama!"
;-)

i think i would be so much more relaxed about the mobility issue (if i had more sleep) if i didnt have the early invention people all up in my grill telling me she's delayed.
they are supposed to come tomorrow but it's snowing like crazy here today so im hope they cancel and then i can just "forget" to call them back to reschedule :-P

edit: i was just rereading what you wrote and the part about him being cautious reminded me that she is always like so hestitant about things. ill build her a block tower or put a new toy in front of her and she will like look at it for awhile and then sort of tentatively put her hand towards it and look at me like "is it ok to touch that?"
i always thought it was funny because we've never been like "OMG DONT TOUCH THAT!" anything within her reach has always been 100% ok for her to poke, prod, whack, throw, eat, etc.

Last edited by LisaPunk on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:47 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh and thanks for the tip about nursing through the ECG. that is so smart.
i will keep that idea in mind. generally BP is intolerant of side lying nursing so i may only use it as a last resort but i would have never even have though of it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh the travails of being stuck inside on a snow(ice) day with a hyperactive 3 year old. He begs me, 'mommy mommy let's do experiment!" So I get everything out to make a volcano and he won't sit in his chair longer than filling the beaker with baking soda. Now I can't get him to come back in the kitchen and fill the test tube with vinegar. He says he doesn't want to do an experiment now. *sigh*

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LisaPunk & Mitten I am so jealous of you guys at this moment! I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but man a long attention span is sounding so good to me right now. Especially with me being the type to easily sit quietly for long periods (even since I was a child) it is so hard for me to have a day like this where I have to entertain my super active kid all day. He's watching TV right now because I just can't even deal.

I love him to pieces but I just can't keep up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Now I was on the phone with my mom for 5 minutes and he decided to dive off the side of the couch into his legos on the hard floor. I was even sitting right next to him on the couch, but never thought he would do that. He gave himself a bloody nose. Lard help us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm 
Semen Strong

So frustrating Aubade! The changing minds at the last minute is so annoying! I asked L what she wanted for dinner and she chose avocado toasties. So then I made them and right when observed them to her, she started yelling "No Avocado!!!!!!" Because somewhere in the ten minutes it took to make everything the world changed and avocado is now horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

He was nutso, dancing/running around like a madman, right up until he instantly fell asleep in his bed at 9:30. This is yesterday in a nutshell:

I need a vacation day today to recuperate from yesterday's snowday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If my husband doesn't get over his man-flu and go back to work soon, I can not be held responsible for what may happen. Routine all interrupted. Comments like "you're going out again?" "clothes on the radiator?" "that seems like a lot of yogurt" (for Freya). Then, the now runny-nosed, slightly cabin-fevered baby of course says "want Pappa...want Paaaaappa". Ffs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 175  Next