| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann wrote:
Can the snow please go away already? I miss the days when I didn't have to struggle her into two layers of clothes to go outside. Let's do summer toddler in nothing but a diaper time scampering outside again, can we? I need more outdoor, free roaming activity to exhaust my child at the appropriate times of day. Watering indoor plants and painting is not cutting it.

Ugh seriously! It is so much more laundry too. I don't understand how small sweatshirts and fleece pants can pile up so quickly!

I really hope everything here melts today and tomorrow before the polar vortex comes back on Wed! It is about half way gone in our yard and driveway now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

When I got home from work today my husband and Malka had set up a tent in the snow and she was frolicking around it without pants. So hurray for a break from the cold today!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:53 pm 
Semen Strong

No pants in the snow! Malka is a hardcore Nordic baby!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:20 pm 

I got peed on yesterday. Soaked with it. I had a change of clothes for her but not for me. This was after she wouldn't wear a diaper at the airport for a late flight that kept getting delayed. I put one on her anyway and she ripped it off and threw it away before I could get her pants on. I WEAR pantaloons!!!!! (Don't ask me how she learned that word. I call them underwear.)

So annoying. Also, SO HARD to be patient and calm when she is behaving so irrationally and I am in a rush to be somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:31 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I am watching Giles all day by myself. We did great up until naptime...he is in his room jumping up and down and not acting sleepy at all (even though before nap he was grumpy/yawning/rubbing his eyes). WHYYYYYYY?????????? This is supposed to be a 2-3 hour nap!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:55 pm 

Ha ha! I didn't know that filter which makes my post really weird.

The missed nap is so stressful, ar. Sorry!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh Butternut that sounds so rough. Being soaked in someone else's pee is the WORST. Its also so hard to have to wrangle them when you don't have the space and time to work it out together and have to push them along.

I hope you're able to enjoy a restful weekend before school starts up again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:14 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sven appears to be dropping his nap. I'm sad, but kind of relieved at the same time. I'd rather just not even fight it anymore -- trying to get him to nap has been so aggravating. And on the bright side, now he falls asleep in 10 minutes at night!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:47 pm 

Haha Butternut...I thought "pantaloons" was really cool, actually. I totally didn't get that it was a filter. :)

Thank heaven for lots of naps here still. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:48 am 

OMG butternut after a long day at the airport that had to be the worst!!

I was just coming to complain about the joy of waking up to a big saturday morning poo blowout.

We were sitting at the breakfast table eating chocolate chip waffles and my kid says, "I have poo on my finger." He holds it up and I see a little brown stuff on it but I thought he was joking so I said, "haha, you're silly that's just the chocolate chips from the waffles." He repeated it a few times, and I kept saying the same thing then finally I thought I better check his diaper. Well good thing I did because he had it all up his back, on his pjs and all over the chair. AaaaCK!

Fun times.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:39 pm 

Yuck! It's not a baby Ruth...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so the library in my town has a "baby story hour" for kids 0-2 and it's like 20 mins of rhymes, songs, and stories then "play time"

me and BP go for something to do and im trying to convince her the existance of other humans in the world is not necessarily a bad thing (hard to convince her when i dont believe it :-P )

anywho sometimes the songs and rhymes are a little non-vegan but i feel like i cant be too picky because not everything in life can be 100% PC.
i dont like baa baa black sheep, etc. today there was some song about jelly in a jar wibble wobble which was fine but the next verse was sausage in a pan, etc. blech.

THEN she busts out a song about hunting foxes! ACK!

it was like
a hunting we will go
a hunting we will go
we'll catch a fox and put him in a box
then we'll let him go

i thought that was pretty forked up.

the next verse was about a fish in a dish or something.

blech.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

LisaPunk wrote:
so the library in my town has a "baby story hour" for kids 0-2 and it's like 20 mins of rhymes, songs, and stories then "play time"

me and BP go for something to do and im trying to convince her the existance of other humans in the world is not necessarily a bad thing (hard to convince her when i dont believe it :-P )

anywho sometimes the songs and rhymes are a little non-vegan but i feel like i cant be too picky because not everything in life can be 100% PC.
i dont like baa baa black sheep, etc. today there was some song about jelly in a jar wibble wobble which was fine but the next verse was sausage in a pan, etc. blech.

it was like
a hunting we will go
a hunting we will go
then we'll let him go

blech.

I do agree with the "blech." Yeah, I know that one. If it makes you feel better at all, the song is from the 1700s

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

LisaPunk wrote:

it was like
a hunting we will go
a hunting we will go
then we'll let him go

blech.

Well of course the sausage is Field Roast :)
Maybe when she's old enough to want to know what these things mean, you could spin it like "it's just words that rhyme together, we don't really think it's nice to put a fox in a box or a fish in a dish"? Like, some songs are just about the wordplay, the lyrics don't have to be interpreted literally?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 am 
Nooch of Earl

We're staying in a hotel for now, so not the best place to be making a lot of noise.. and V woke up at ~4am screaming because she wanted my husband to "sleep in the kitchen" after sending him on a room-wide hunt for her can of play doh. The living area has a pull out bed but of course she wants to be in the bed with us, and it's only a queen.

We deserve some kind of parenting medal for not selling her on Ebay before we get into our next house.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 am 
Semen Strong

I think this forum has an agreement that ventilation and pet peeve threads are places where people can just come to vent their feelings about being vegan in a non-vegan world, and be heard, rather than being told not to overthink.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am 
Cranky

It seems to me that choirqueer is suggesting a simple way to work around it, and I honestly don't see what's critical about that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 am 
Semen Strong

Thank you for the clarification Dr. A. I thought a vent thread was not really about asking advice but just wanting to voice frustration.

I know how to handle these questions with my kiddo, but I forgot that others might not. I definitely feel like its so frustrating to have to explain those things to a child. We read a book where there were allusions to a fox eating a chicken, and then we were at an Indian buffet and when L saw the grilled chicken she wanted to eat it like the fox. SO of course I explained that foxes eat chickens but we don't, we love chickens and we talked about her chicken friends, but she still really just wanted to eat it, until I distracted her from it.

It can be frustrating to have to give an explanation like "Oh yes, even though it says that, it doesn't really mean what it says it does" to a child who can't really understand that level of complexity. Part of being vegan in an omni world :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 am 
Cranky

Tofulish wrote:
It can be frustrating to have to give an explanation like "Oh yes, even though it says that, it doesn't really mean what it says it does" to a child who can't really understand that level of complexity. Part of being vegan in an omni world :)

And that's something we call all vent about, for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:28 am 
Nooch of Earl

I think it's easy to forget how ubiquitous these references are in children's songs and books until you're using them every day.

I don't think explaining it away as just wordplay works because there are other forms of cruelty we wouldn't accept our children to make poems about without talking to them about it, right?

Personally we change the lyrics to songs as needed, but not in a group singing environment. That can be a frustration with music class - luckily Music Together has been fairly light on the animal cruelty songs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:12 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yeah, maybe I wasn't entirely clear in my response. What I meant was that something like what I suggested might be a solution for if a kid is really excited about singing songs with lyrics like that. But actually, now that I'm thinking about it more, I don't even think it's a good idea anymore ;) It sounded like a good idea in my head when I thought of it a few hours ago, but I think I changed my mind :) But, either way, I was not trying to say that LisaPunk was overthinking it...quite the opposite, in fact, I think she's just-the-right-amount of thinking about it and I stand in solidarity with the frustration at stupid song lyrics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

This reminds me of a vent: what the forking fork is with "I'm squishing up a baby bumblebee"? I thought that was pretty messed up when I was a kid, but as a grownup, it's really just... what? Why does this song exist?

E heard M (who must have heard it at preschool) singing it the other day and tapped him on the shoulder and said "M, that is really disgusting. Don't sing that." It was hilarious though of course ineffective.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:20 pm 
Semen Strong

Go E! We were at the library yesterday and L picked a book from Mo Willems who is generally such a great children's book author called "That Is Not A Good Idea." So I read it first, and its all about a fox who is trying to lure a goose into taking him home with her, while the goslings cry "That is not a good idea!" So then the goose brings the fox in, and she has made some soup, and then the fox says "Well there is a missing ingredient..." and you expect that the fox is going to shove the goose into the soup, but instead the goose kills the fox and she and the goslings eat him. Obviously, I encouraged L to pick another book, but why oh why is this an appropriate children's topic?

Seriously, what the fizzle Mo Willems! For disturbing illustrations http://www.amazon.com/That-Is-Not-Good- ... 0062203096

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka is obsessed with her Mother Goose treasury that is pretty much all rhymes about eating or skinning animals. We change the lyrics. Although she learned Baa Baa Black Sheep somewhere and sings it a LOT. Mary Had a Little Lamb is actually really sweet if you do all the verses (the last two are "why does the lamb love Mary so...the students did inquire" "because she loves the lamb you see...the teacher did reply").

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

luckily at this point BabyPunk needs no explanation since she's only 10 months old. i was more just like "blech i dont like this song, why are we singing to kids about hunting"

really we just wanted to sing Where is Thumbkin which BP inexplicably LOVES. silly baby. ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 178  Next