| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also after our story time trip of all the rhymes and songs we did the hunting one was the one that got stuck in my head.

hahahahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

Phineas used to happily eat whatever I put in front of him (and say "mmm" while eating and generally make me feel like a good mommy for getting her little boy to eat a balanced diet). He's now in the picky toddler phase and it's driving me nuts. Most days, he refuses to even taste the food I give him -- even if it's something he's eaten before. The good news is that it's apparently possible to live entirely on blueberries, soy milk, pasta and frozen veggie burgers supplemented with a few peas a week and sometimes cake. Ugh!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:48 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

bcakes wrote:
Phineas used to happily eat whatever I put in front of him (and say "mmm" while eating and generally make me feel like a good mommy for getting her little boy to eat a balanced diet). He's now in the picky toddler phase and it's driving me nuts. Most days, he refuses to even taste the food I give him -- even if it's something he's eaten before. The good news is that it's apparently possible to live entirely on blueberries, soy milk, pasta and frozen veggie burgers supplemented with a few peas a week and sometimes cake. Ugh!

Picky toddler stage is the worst! Why doesn't anyone warn you that kids go from being great eaters to being super picky? When my kids were little, I had the nerve to brag about what great eaters they were, and now it's come back to bite me in the butt. Oddly enough, they will sometimes taste things if it's on my plate and not their own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The picky toddler stage is KILLING ME. His Doctor actually did warn us that he will stop eating from that age of 2 to 4 after I bragged about the handfuls of kale and all the other great foods he was eating! I chose not to believe her! Its ridiculous. Last night he ate a black bean and rice burrito. Happily, it was really weird. If i make it again tonight he will be all EWWWW...EWWWWW...Can't eat that. The worst part is that I know he likes the food I'm making it's just depending on his mood that day. I hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

not to be the bearer of bad news but it seems to happen again at the pre-teen stage. i can see the kid's tastes changing again now and it's really cool as she opens up to new flavors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My poor, little boy is extremely clingy at the moment. Two weeks ago he has Roseola/6th disease, this lasted a week, I hardly slept. Then he came down with a heavy cold, I hardly slept. He's now complaining about pain in his mouth, he still needs to get 4 molars, I'm still not sleeping. He's two and a half I'm so very tired!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

Solkiki wrote:
My poor, little boy is extremely clingy at the moment. Two weeks ago he has Roseola/6th disease, this lasted a week, I hardly slept. Then he came down with a heavy cold, I hardly slept. He's now complaining about pain in his mouth, he still needs to get 4 molars, I'm still not sleeping. He's two and a half I'm so very tired!

I feel your pain. I find that the lack of sleep when the kiddo is sick makes me grumpy and then I feel guilty about not being a more sympathetic mommy and that makes me more grumpy. It's a terrible cycle of grump and snot. I hope the molars come in fast so that you and your guy can get some rest again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
not to be the bearer of bad news but it seems to happen again at the pre-teen stage. i can see the kid's tastes changing again now and it's really cool as she opens up to new flavors.

So true! Shae went through a preteen mega-picky stage too! I'm telling you toddlers & tween/teens have A LOT in common. (He's over it now luckily!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Karl was just today, talking about being worried about what F is eating. I tried to explain that she's really no different that many toddlers, omnivore/vegan/whatever, but he's a bit obsessed with food, the man. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Well Ada just threw up for the first time ever. I was just saying last night that we've been super lucky with stomach bugs (because one seems to be going around the neighborhood) and then she wakes up tonight throwing up. I really hope that was it. Poor kid was terrified and had no idea what just happened. I'm terrified we're all going to get sick now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, I feel your pain! There is something going around our area, and L has it as well, despite the fact that we canceled so many things to stay away from people who might be sick. She vomited all last night - like waking up out of a deep sleep to vomit and cry and then going back to sleep. I washed the worst things last night, but am waiting to see if she makes it through tonight vomit free to wash everything else. So much vomit.

Basically yesterday she vomited several times, until she had nothing left in her stomach, I just gave her very minimal water, because even breastmilk made her vomit. And this morning she threw up once or twice, so she just had toast and bananas with a bit of water. She had a fever all day, and I didn't want to give oral meds for fear of upsetting her stomach, so we just are riding it out.

I don't tend to get her stomach bugs, if that is any consolation - she has had a few and I'm always fine. Of course now I've said that, I'm going to be sick for 3 days.

I hope Ada feels better and that Alice doesn't get it. Vomiting is so horrible.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh no! I hope everyone's over the stomach bugs soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The last time I threw up it was drinking related and the time before that I was six or seven years old. So yeah, I don't tend to get stomach bugs. Then again I've never had a vomiting kid.

I hope Leela feels better soon!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 pm 
Semen Strong

I hope you have a peaceful night and that Ada is done vomiting and that Alice stays well!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

aww no not the stomach bugs again!! D has had 2 in the last year, and they really lingered although she didn't puke every day. Howard got the last one pretty bad but it only lasted 24hours for him, and Sierra and I have been puke-free. I hope you all feel better soon! For us, it was difficult to tell when D was really feeling better, which is frustrating too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bcakes wrote:
Solkiki wrote:

I feel your pain. I find that the lack of sleep when the kiddo is sick makes me grumpy and then I feel guilty about not being a more sympathetic mommy and that makes me more grumpy. It's a terrible cycle of grump and snot. I hope the molars come in fast so that you and your guy can get some rest again.

Thank you for your support! We have one molar down, three more to go. Good news is he's been happy again since yesterday, I felt like my sweet little boy had left forever.

The way I felt was far beyond grumpy if that made any sense, even beyond desperation. I just felt like this gigantic sponge constantly letting the whole thing wash over me and accept and accept. To even feel grumpy or angry seemed like a luxury to me that costs energy that I don't have.
I hear you though on acting out some of the frustration, I had to almost completely ignore my 6yo daughter this last month and I cut her off because I couldn't handle anything else on top of this and I was short with her. I don't know if this is related, but she started having nightmares two weeks ago, wetting the bed again and getting up really early. I'm happy that since yesterday I have been able to give her attention again without my little boy screaming through it without me being able to console him. And last night she slept the whole night, no nightmares, no bedwetting and getting up at her normal time.

I'm sorry for this long story, I just came on here to say thank you. This just rolled out my fingers. Please someone tell me that it gets easier when kids get older!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I hope we're not getting the stomach bugs, my daughter is very good at picking up vomiting bugs usually. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Euclid vent: preggo heartburn, ughghghgg..

V vent: I know a lot of it is stress from our transience starting to show, but she's been waking up crying multiple times a night and wanting me to lie down with her, and just being really uncooperative in general. It's been a really difficult and stressful few days from a parenting perspective (though we're on vacation so OK overall, just not the relaxing poolside nothingness I'd planned on).

I feel kind of awful that she seems to be having nightmares about her favorite toys and things being taken away, which, uh, they mostly have been lately.

I hope we have a home again soon!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is so sad! I hope that your transition to Italy is as easy as possible and that Vi finds some peace when reunited with her stuff.

And I hope that you feel a bit better soon! I can't believe that you're almost in your third trimester!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

More daycare food woes. My husband comes home yesterday with a picture of the sign-up sheet on the door for monday's St. Patrick's day party. This is what's listed:

juice boxes
fruit snacks
green jello
shamrock cookies
donut holes
rice crispy treats
cupcakes
surprises

REALLY?!? You mean to tell me a class of 25 2.5 - 3.5 year olds needs a huge plate of sugary goodies for St. Patrick's day? I mean that's barely even a real holiday!! I have to call today and find out, is every kid going to get one each of all of those things? How could they even eat that much?

So now I'm forced to make several items or else my kid will sit there with 1 measly cupcake while all the other kids have a giant plate of crepe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:30 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

UGH!! I don't want to feed my kid any of that stuff, so I'm worried about daycare and school. Why oh why oh why, is this deemed so acceptable in America? Haven't we learned from the obesity epidemic and all the health problems that Americans have that we're doin' it wrong? So much more harmful to start those habits at a young age.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aren't hot dogs one of the worst foods in the world? I can't believe they feed them to the kids at my daughter's school (not my daughter ofcourse). GM popcorn is also always on the menu whenever there is anything to celebrate. I know it's all very cheap food stuff, it does seem to me that in the last number of years crappy food got really cheap and healthier foods got more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Aubade wrote:
More daycare food woes. My husband comes home yesterday with a picture of the sign-up sheet on the door for monday's St. Patrick's day party. This is what's listed:

juice boxes
fruit snacks
green jello
shamrock cookies
donut holes
rice crispy treats
cupcakes
surprises

REALLY?!? You mean to tell me a class of 25 2.5 - 3.5 year olds needs a huge plate of sugary goodies for St. Patrick's day? I mean that's barely even a real holiday!! I have to call today and find out, is every kid going to get one each of all of those things? How could they even eat that much?

So now I'm forced to make several items or else my kid will sit there with 1 measly cupcake while all the other kids have a giant plate of crepe.

Whatever happened to granny smith apples, green grapes, and kiwi? Green food doesn't have to be completely junk.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I totally, totally feel for you aubade. Somewhere in this thread is me complaining about the Valentine's Day thing at my daughter's (public) school - the teachers even requested "heart-healthy red food!" and when my partner showed up for the party it was donut holes and cupcakes. Luckily she didn't mind that she had only one choice (heart-shaped cookies I made) but we felt bad and just super-disgruntled with the whole thing. HAHA oh and did I mention that for Dr. Suess month at school the teachers/class cooked forking GREEN EGGS AND HAM in the classroom? oh yes. Dahlia told me "the kids all ate it! Except me and ______" (her little friend who is allergic to eggs, dairy and damn near everything else). I guess I should appreciate that this lead to yet another discussion about how eggs come from chickens, and a new one about the fact that yes, ham comes from pigs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:15 am 
Semen Strong

Anupy Singla wrote a piece on that I found useful : http://www.chicagonow.com/chicagoan-as- ... dian-food/ If you grow up with very strong salty and sweet preferences, its hard to retrain those preferences to foods that may be less processed or less calorie intensive. I am reading "Its not about the Broccoli" and its kind of amazing to realize that one of the main source of calories for children between 4 and 12 is grain desserts and that from 12-18 its soda.

And I completely agree that healthy food has gotten so expensive and cheap, heavily processed food is so normalized. I think in the 50s and 60s there was a technological revolution to process food to be cheaper, last longer and be more accessible, with lots of frozen dinners, canned veg etc, and that meant adding a lot of sugars, fats and salts, which skews our tastebuds. And now, there are only limited suppliers for the "slow" food originals, so those end up so much more expensive. There are so many advantages to the processing - food lasts longer, we eat a wider variety of things - but there is also a cost (I really liked reading The End of Overeating and Food Inc: High Cost of Cheap Food for more).

I definitely don't remember there being a food related event every week at school, with children filling up on empty calories. I definitely think there is a place for sweets and baked goods, but its hard to see how you can shape your child's eating habits to be more healthy and geared towards moderation, when they fill up on chocolate or cake at school. I was pretty surprised when Lavawitch posted that she was encouraged to reward students with candy for good performance - just because it makes the rewards of learning so extrinsic rather than intrinsic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 172  Next