| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:30 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

You know how toddlers chatter all the time? And how it is sometimes adorable and sometimes no so much?

Teens do it too. With less adorable.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Tofulish wrote:
And I completely agree that healthy food has gotten so expensive and cheap, heavily processed food is so normalized. I think in the 50s and 60s there was a technological revolution to process food to be cheaper, last longer and be more accessible, with lots of frozen dinners, canned veg etc, and that meant adding a lot of sugars, fats and salts, which skews our tastebuds. And now, there are only limited suppliers for the "slow" food originals, so those end up so much more expensive. There are so many advantages to the processing - food lasts longer, we eat a wider variety of things - but there is also a cost (I really liked reading The End of Overeating and Food Inc: High Cost of Cheap Food for more).

I can't remember if it was Pandora's Lunchbox or Taste, but there's an interesting argument made about processed and preserved foods actually freeing up housewives to do other things (sometimes work! And read! And hobbies! And things!) - and a corresponding advertising and marketing shift, because now women had time to shop "frivolously" (so...and shop!).

Obviously when we're talking about "women" here we're talking about women who did not have to work at a job for a paycheck for survival in the first place and women with some sort of spending power. But the canned food revolution also made it easier for women who worked at jobs, sometimes more than one, for paychecks for survival to feed their families, so there's that. I just thought it was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, my grandma was a huge fan of canned, boxed, and frozen. Also a huge fan of supermarkets over going to the grocer, the butcher, the bakery, etc. improved her life a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

There are so many things wrong with the food that people nowadays eat, I just don't know where to begin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:41 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Ariann wrote:
Yeah, my grandma was a huge fan of canned, boxed, and frozen. Also a huge fan of supermarkets over going to the grocer, the butcher, the bakery, etc. improved her life a lot.

I just saw someone today bragging that she cooked like a 1950s housewife, making everything from scratch. Really, she's cooking like a 1920s housewife, and even then she probably would have had household help because it was cheap and because it's a lot of work to make everything from scratch. It's weird how we idealize certain eras.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:52 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Solkiki wrote:
my daughter is very good at picking up vomiting bugs usually. Fingers crossed!

I know this is going to sound like a strange request, but can I sig this? It brings up this image, which delights me to no end, of a toddler picking up insects which happen to be vomiting. As though she's the local caregiver of insects with stomach ailments, and she is praised for miles around ...."she's very good a picking up vomiting bugs, usually, she's dropped a few, but normally she's quite skilled".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm stuck at work waiting for my assistant to fix a mistake in a filing and now I won't get to see Phineas before his bedtime. Here's how the mistake happened:

Me: Does the PDF you made exactly match the hard copy document you showed me?
Assistant: Yes.
(Assistant does filing)
Me: Why does the filing only have 2 pages? The hard copy had 4.
Assistant: Oh. You wanted to file all the pages in the hard document?

On top of the guilt for not seeing Phineas today, I have feminist guilt because I'm fairly sure that the dads I work with don't feel guilty when they have to stay late.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mollyjade wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I just saw someone today bragging that she cooked like a 1950s housewife, making everything from scratch. Really, she's cooking like a 1920s housewife, and even then she probably would have had household help because it was cheap and because it's a lot of work to make everything from scratch. It's weird how we idealize certain eras.

Gosh that is so true, I think people's memories in every sort of way are rubbish and most of us just remember things as it suits us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela had no nap, and was falling asleep at the table during dinner at 7:30, so I was sure she was out for the night. 2 hours later she woke up raring to go. No. Just NO.

Go back to sleep!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think I am raising an insomniac like me. Does it start this early? It doesn't help that I am down for the count with a stomach bug and want my husband to be focusing on taking care of me instead of spending many hours trying to put a kid to bed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So I called the teacher yesterday and she confirmed every kid will get 1 each of all those things. I said, "don't you think that's a lot of sugary treats for little kids?" and she said, "well, they don't eat it all."

THEN WHAT IS THE POINT OF GIVING THEM ALL THAT?!?!

It's not only terrible nutrition lesson, but a waste of food on top, not to mention the parents' money who volunteered to bring all this junk in. Gah.

Now this is my list of things to do tomorrow, about the last thing on the planet I feel like doing:

1. Buy small St. Patty shaped cookie cutters. I have a big container of 101 cookie cutters but it has no shamrocks. More proof this is barely even a holiday.
2. She said they make jigglers in shapes with the jello, so I have some orange gel cups in the fridge so I'm going to slice a piece off then cut it with a cookie cutter shape.
3. Make a batch of shamrock shaped sugar cookies w/ green sprinkles. Luckily I found some vegan sprinkles a couple weeks ago in the dollar section at target. I'll give him 1 small cookie. I just realized i can make a few easter shaped too and freeze them since I'm sure they'll have another party for that. The rest I'll bring to work.
4. I still have some vegan marshmellow fluff left from their last weird food thing - "moon cakes" - rice cakes spread with fluff w/ cheerios on top. So I'll make a small batch of bootleg rice crispy treats that will probably be gooey and send him in w/ 1 small square.
5. Make a half batch of cupcakes, decorate 1 green and freeze the rest for the next party.
6. Send in annie's bunny fruit snacks too.

So the only thing he won't have is a donut hole. Sigh. Yeah this is exactly what i feel like doing on Sunday when I also have to worry about prepping for the weeks dinners and lunches. I can't wait to move and leave this dumb daycare!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:35 am 
Semen Strong

So sorry you are sick Ariann! Hope you feel better soon!

Aubade that is crazy. You're an awesome mom for going to so much effort for Kai and everything sounds so good! I have to admit that I get nervous hearing all these stories about tons of cake and treats at school, just because I worry about her eating habits in light of our history of lifestyle related illnesses.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aubade wrote:
So I called the teacher yesterday and she confirmed every kid will get 1 each of all those things. I said, "don't you think that's a lot of sugary treats for little kids?" and she said, "well, they don't eat it all."

THEN WHAT IS THE POINT OF GIVING THEM ALL THAT?!?!

It's not only terrible nutrition lesson, but a waste of food on top, not to mention the parents' money who volunteered to bring all this junk in. Gah.

Now this is my list of things to do tomorrow, about the last thing on the planet I feel like doing:

1. Buy small St. Patty shaped cookie cutters. I have a big container of 101 cookie cutters but it has no shamrocks. More proof this is barely even a holiday.
2. She said they make jigglers in shapes with the jello, so I have some orange gel cups in the fridge so I'm going to slice a piece off then cut it with a cookie cutter shape.
3. Make a batch of shamrock shaped sugar cookies w/ green sprinkles. Luckily I found some vegan sprinkles a couple weeks ago in the dollar section at target. I'll give him 1 small cookie. I just realized i can make a few easter shaped too and freeze them since I'm sure they'll have another party for that. The rest I'll bring to work.
4. I still have some vegan marshmellow fluff left from their last weird food thing - "moon cakes" - rice cakes spread with fluff w/ cheerios on top. So I'll make a small batch of bootleg rice crispy treats that will probably be gooey and send him in w/ 1 small square.
5. Make a half batch of cupcakes, decorate 1 green and freeze the rest for the next party.
6. Send in annie's bunny fruit snacks too.

So the only thing he won't have is a donut hole. Sigh. Yeah this is exactly what i feel like doing on Sunday when I also have to worry about prepping for the weeks dinners and lunches. I can't wait to move and leave this dumb daycare!!

Wow sounds like a busy day tomorrow! Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:15 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ariann wrote:
I think I am raising an insomniac like me. Does it start this early? It doesn't help that I am down for the count with a stomach bug and want my husband to be focusing on taking care of me instead of spending many hours trying to put a kid to bed.

I hope you'll feel better soon. It's one of the hardest things when you're feeling rotten and the kids need intensive attention.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Would you believe no freaking place sells shamrock cookies cutters. I checked Wegmans, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Home Goods and 5 Below. Nada. #!*!!$^!@^!!

Guess I'll be trying to cut the shape out freehand with a knife.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Aubade, you are the best parent ever! I'm surprised the parents don't all rise up and revolt against that kind of ridiculousness. In your shoes I'd be staging a coup.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:58 pm 
And you never will.

Aubade wrote:
Would you believe no freaking place sells shamrock cookies cutters. I checked Wegmans, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Home Goods and 5 Below. Nada. #!*!!$^!@^!!

Guess I'll be trying to cut the shape out freehand with a knife.

Oh man, sorry! Protip (especially if you only need to cut a few): find the shape in the size you want on your computer, prop a piece of (regular, printer) paper in front of it and trace it with a sharpie. Then you can cut it out and lay it on your dough to cut around. It will get greasy after a few, but it should do the job!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

annak wrote:
Aubade, you are the best parent ever! I'm surprised the parents don't all rise up and revolt against that kind of ridiculousness. In your shoes I'd be staging a coup.

I've been cooking since that last post and only now finally have the sugar cookies in the oven. My kid has been on the ipad for hours while i cooked him all this crepe.

Not to mention, I couldn't find the good decorating tips I bought in Sept. for his bday and this caused a huge blowout with my husband.

I am so annoyed right now I don't even know what to do with myself!!! I am never doing this again!!!

PSA: Cherrybrook Kitchen sugar cookies do NOT roll out, despite what it says on the internet. I now have a bunch of cookie blobs with green sugar on top.

I was so not meant for all this. I hate freaking baking.

Last edited by Aubade on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:

For real. People freak out on me if I give kids a single cookie for a holiday celebration. I can't believe there are still schools out there serving so much junk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Aubade, sending you all the internet high fives for being a baking bad asparagus!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:54 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

And Alice and my husband both just got sick within a half hour of each other tonight. So much for the stomach bug being contained to Ada (who is still not recovered). And our washer smells like its on fire so I had to turn it off. Not good timing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:12 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ok, washer is officially dead. What do I do with all of the vomit?!?!? And Alice has now thrown up three times in the last 1.5 hours and my husband is occupying the bathroom.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh no! Sashi, I am so very sorry! I hope things get better for you soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

kfad wrote:
You know how toddlers chatter all the time? And how it is sometimes adorable and sometimes no so much?

Teens do it too. With less adorable.

Hey, I heard that! AND OH MY GOD IS IT TRUE. Also, it's usually while you are watching Cosmos or during the news story you've been waiting all evening to catch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

sashi wrote:
Ok, washer is officially dead. What do I do with all of the vomit?!?!? And Alice has now thrown up three times in the last 1.5 hours and my husband is occupying the bathroom.

Gosh, I hope all the vomiting has ceased now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 172  Next