| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:46 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im really frustrated i think im going to have to pull BabyPunk out of swim lessons. she just hates it so much. i signed her up because she loves the water and i thought she would love it and it would give us something to do this summer.

well stupid mommy that i am didnt understand the subtle nuances that is BabyPunk. she does love water. she love bathtime. she loves sitting in like 6 inches of water at the public pool/a lake/the beach and splashing and poking things that float by to see what they are.

she doesnt love being put into a very large pool at the Y that is sort of chilly and made to do things like have floaty things put under her arms and made to try and kick.

i paid for an 8 lesson session and we've had five weeks go by. we skipped 2 when we were sick and have been to 3. she has hated it everytime. today she cried through the ENTIRE thing. she is definitely the kid that needs to sit there and warm up to something and analyze everything and check it out then go when SHE is ready. swim lessons are a half hour you get tossed in the pool, you do this thing, then you do that thing, then you do another thing, wee let's go down a slide! perfect for most toddler attention spans.
BabyPunk has never fit into any "normal" descriptions of babies. anytime the teacher tries to do any of the normal things that make babies smile like tickle them or make funny faces or whatever she just screams louder.

i feel bad because i did it because i thought it would be fun, i mean what other reason would there be to put a 15 month old in a pool? and she is just miserable through the entire thing. she clung to me so hard today we didnt do any of the exercises. we just walked around the pool while she cried and i held her.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Poor BabyPunk!
I don't know how your pool works, but could you maybe turn up early and you and her hang out poolside and watch the class before hers, to give her some time to warm up and get used to the idea of what's going to happen, and also see other babies having fun in the pool? How big is her class? Is there another slot on a different day/time you could move to that is smaller that might be less overwhelming?
We've just finished two terms of swimming classes and I feel Westiebaby has learnt enough and I have figured out what to do enough that we're just going to go by ourselves to a local pool and she can 'practice' there. Hope you can figure something out, because here at least, dang those baby swimming lessons are expensive!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

We actually got there early the first time and i was so glad after i realized that that is what she would need. im talking like 5-10 mins early not like a half hour or anything. i showed her the lesson before us and said we were gonna go in the pool, etc.
so i continued doing that each time we went and it didnt seem to help.

i honestly in the end just think it's too soon for her. i dont think she was ready. there's only 4 of us in the group (4 mom/baby pairs). the other kids dont seem to bother her. i dont think she likes being in the pool.

i think what i would need to do is get in and walk around with her for awhile then slowly start the next thing then do that for awhile, etc.
cause we have a public pool in town that is really shallow and she likes to sit in it and splash but even when we go there she whines for the first 5 mins we are there like she doesnt wanna be there.

sucks cause youre right it wasnt cheap!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

This will be my first day back at work (boo!). Last night baby decided NOT TO SLEEP. I was up with the baby pretty continuously from 10 to 2 before I finally gave up and got my husband to take a shift with him...even so I heard him crying and squealing and just in general being AWAKE for most of the night. I am dead woman walking today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I know that this is not something I should complain about but I look much younger than my actual age. I'm 27 and I could easily pass for a 15 or 16 year old. The other day, at the park, some woman asked if I was babysitting. I told her that I wasn't and that J was my son. She kind of went "oh" and gave me a look of disapproval. I quickly followed with "I'm 27." and she looked relieved. There have been a few times at the park where people have given me looks and I've had people tell me that they thought that I was a teenage mom. It doesn't help that my husband also looks very young.

I don't know, the whole thing kind of makes me self conscious.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im so unbelievably frustrated/angry right now.

im taking BP to a growth/nutrition clinic at the hospital where she was born because of the whole not eating thing and i spoke with them earlier in the week and they were sending me a packet i had to fill out and send back and then i would get my appt. ive been anxiously awaiting this packet all week so i can get the ball roling.

i got my packet today about my 15 month old's BEDWETTING issues to fill out.
are you forking kidding me????

so it's friday at 4:30 when this happens and no one answers the phone there so i had to leave a message which maybe someone will get on monday and maybe send me the right packet and maybe ill get it by next friday

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:19 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Kal wrote:
I know that this is not something I should complain about but I look much younger than my actual age. I'm 27 and I could easily pass for a 15 or 16 year old. The other day, at the park, some woman asked if I was babysitting. I told her that I wasn't and that J was my son. She kind of went "oh" and gave me a look of disapproval. I quickly followed with "I'm 27." and she looked relieved. There have been a few times at the park where people have given me looks and I've had people tell me that they thought that I was a teenage mom. It doesn't help that my husband also looks very young.

I don't know, the whole thing kind of makes me self conscious.

When E was a baby (and I was 25-26) people regularly mistook me for a teen mother. Combine that with the fact that I don't wear any sort of wedding ring and yeaaaah I got some pretty judgy remarks. And then sometimes I'd babysit E's friend who was about 8 months older and people would assume they were both mine and then say some pretty ludicrous things, like pretty much "you shoulda kept your legs crossed."

The whole thing blew my mind at the time, because seriously, why is it anyone's forking business how old I am? Why does having a child seem to invite everyone in the world to comment on you, your age, your marital status, your family planning, and blah blah blah? Drives me up a wall. MYOB, judgy people.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, people can be so judgy about that. I had one guy snidely ask me if I thought I had enough kids when out with my 3. I also occasionally watch my niece, who is 9 months younger than my twins. When I've gone out with all 4 of them (my 3 year old and 1.5 your old twins, plus 9 month old niece), most people just tell me I'm "brave" to go out with 4 young kids, but I've also gotten some nasty looks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:46 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Wow you get snide remarks for having three kids? I thought that was about the average number.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:53 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Kal wrote:
Wow you get snide remarks for having three kids? I thought that was about the average number.

I think you're supposed to stop at 2.5? Sounds like Helbury has one half of a child too many.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ok I had the absolute freakiest experience late Friday night/early morning with D:
I noticed when I dropped her off at her "camp" thing a couple times last week that there was a kid coughing all over the place. Great. So of course Friday night she too is coughing. We decide to give her some cough syrup because she always has trouble sleeping when she's got a cough. (I think it's unrelated, but the stuff we use is called Delsym - my sis-in-law recommended it because it doesn't treat any other symptoms, just the cough, and we've used it probably 5 times in the last couple years.)
She goes to bed at like 9:30 and all is well, until around 2am I wake up suddenly and notice our bedroom door is open (it's always closed). So I get up and see she is wandering around in the hall, and when I ask her what's going on she just says "oh I wanted to say hi to you" and I kinda grumpily tuck her back in and ask her not to wander around in the middle of the night. I go back to sleep, and then around 4am I'm awakened by the sound of her screaming and yelling. I go into her room and the lights are on and a bunch of toys are on the floor...she's obviously been up and playing. She is screaming something about bugs and how they are everywhere and her eyes are all crazy. There are no bugs anywhere. She's really super upset and I guess hallucinating (maybe that's too strong a word, it's pretty likely her eyes were seeing dots or whatever due to being awake for hours in the middle of the night.) I convince her to sit down on her bed, relax, and lay down. She went back to sleep and when she woke up a few hours later she remembers what happened and told me she saw animals everywhere. Her cough was pretty much gone and she was ok the rest of the weekend but I seriously am still wondering what the hell was going on!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:13 pm 
Semen Strong

We are traveling with family at Disney, which is awesome, because L is having a blast being loved on. But is also ANNOYING because my stepsister's children are older, and she has three of them and has been to DW before. So she assured us she would plan rides that L would also enjoy. The first one was the Jungle Cruise and was perfect. But the second was the Haunted House L was so terrified, before we even got to the ride (in the dark room at the entrance), that now she won't go onto any dark room rides, including the flipping Tiki Lounge.

So cue my stepmother and stepsister talking about how I should just make her go on things. Because really, what could be more fun for a 2 year old than being forced to spend 20 minutes on a dark ride, terrified and unhappy. Happiest Place On Earth my arse.

So now we're trying to just make our own plans, and are generally being treated like we are anti-social. Also, Florida in August is hot. And trying to meet people in a giant crowd of people is hard and gives me panic attacks.

The villa is fabulous, the cousins are lovely, we are seeing lots of nice people. That part is great. Just gotta find some toddler friendly rides and try and find a way to kindly avoid being bullied.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sorry, Tlish -- that sucks. My own experience with Disney made me conclude that going there as a group with varying age kids was just not a good idea (and the age range in the group wasn't even that big - maybe 1.5-6).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks annak! Its nice to know that its not just us! Its really interesting to see how big the range of interests are. Our nephews are 9 and our niece is 5.5 and L is 2.75, so it is a really big difference and L and my niece are being treated like they are the same age.

And my step-sister keeps on dropping passive aggressive insults, like saying "Oh when my kids were L's age (of course they were FAR more advanced verbally), they did [insert tale of children doing whatever L is currently refusing to do.]" This is the stepsister whose daughter pottylearned at 18 months with no accidents ever. And when I asked DSS if we could put away the crayons (so L didn't draw on the walls), she said "Well, my DD wants to draw, so no." Cue L grabbing a crayon, running away and drawing all over the walls, when I wasn't looking. Yay. And after my stepmother saying that everyone was plantbased, turns out that my DSS is making chicken for dinner so the whole house stinks of chicken.

But L is having the very best time and loved Small World, and all the sanctimommy goes over her head. She is just so sunny and happy with the other children and that is lovely. I feel bad complaining because we could never afford this on our own and its nice for my stepmother to include us, but I really hate that everything has been set up by my DSS to work for her family, and we're subject to their program even though it doesn't work for L and are being treated like we're rude and ungrateful for not just going along.

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugggghhhhh.
sorry Tlish. that sounds annoying. i rrreaaallllllyyyy hate when people think forcing kids to do something cause "they will like it" or "its good for them" is a good idea. we were talking about BP's stranger anxiety and how even my dad she seems almost weekly she still wasnt 100% comfortable with and my head literally almost exploded when my SIL's mother told me we "should try harder"

i havent been to Disney with a kid but ive been a few times as an adult. i feel like there was a Winnie the Pooh right in the Magic Kingdom but i honestly dont remember if it was dark inside or not! it's what i think used to be Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

if you guys venture beyond DW and go to Islands of Adventure their is Dr Seuss land that is AWESOME at that park. there is a carosel called the "caroseussel" that i love.

*i havent been in several years so there is always a chance everything i just said doesnt exist anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks LP! I will check out Dr Seuss land! That sounds so fun! It looks like its at Universal!
https://www.universalorlando.com/Rides/ ... e-Hat.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Islands of Adventure is owned by Universal but it is a different park.

think you can get passes that would allow you into both parks just like the Disney Park Hopper pass.
here i am on the Caro-Seuss-el in 2011.
i still have my braces from jaw surgery. lol. i look 12.

Harry Potter is also at Islands of Adventure though not sure what there is there for the wee ones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The winnie the pooh ride has a scary part! I was riding it sans children and I swear as the little cars turned down the dark scary section of the hundred acre wood children in the cars ahead and behind me started wailing...happiest place on earth hmmm?!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, that's the thing! L is now really afraid of the dark, and so basically if you go only to the preschooler friendly rides suitable for children 36" and under, then everything is in Magic Kingdom. But my parents need a ride into the park so they have one of them riding with each of us, so if we don't go to the park, then we feel like we've screwed everyone over, because there isn't enough space in their mini-van.

And my step-sister set up all the rides for us as a family, and promised to make it Leela friendly and picked 3 rides that she can't even go on for height restrictions. So I seem like a difficult jerk on all fronts, because she is "making an effort."

And today evening I couldn't breathe because the chicken smell triggered my asthma, so that was fun.

But even with them paying for the passes and the villa, we've spent over $3,000 on this vacation (not even counting parking, gas, snacks at the park etc). So to pay a shittonne of money and have a horrible time is just the worst. Why I never forking learn that everything with my family is craptashitastic is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:47 am 
Nooch of Earl

:( That really sucks. It sounds like they're being so inconsiderate!!

I'm assuming you're in Florida, but if you're in CA and by the other park you mean California Adventure, we loved A Bug's Land, which is basically entirely little kid friendly. There are also a couple of rides in the Cars area (that are pretty rough, though), and V loved the Ferris Wheel. The ride on Little Mermaid, Toy Story arcade ride, and Monsters, Inc animatronics also worked ok but might cause problems since they go into dark areas. That was about all we could do when V was 2, though, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:19 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! Yes, my stepmother started off today with a lecture about how adults have to be flexible in life and you're not doing the child any favors with adapting to her. She needs to learn to just go along with everyone else, and suck it up (because apparently its not the "Happiest Place on Earth" for her - its the sucking it uppest).

And my stepsister chimed in that it was unfair to not recognize how great her sons were being (who are 9.5 and going to the rides that she is picking for them specifically) at "going along with everyone."

So I said we were just going to go to some of the little rides tomorrow, because they are doing so many things L can't do (heightwise). And that kicked off a huge fuss about how if L does them then Angelina (my DSS's daughter who is 5.5 is going to want to go too so why can't we just go another day). Because apparently Angelina doesn't have to go with the flow. Just Leela.

So we're being expected to schedule everything around my DSS' family, or get told off for "spoiling our child." Because really, what could be more pleasant than forcing your child to *enjoy* Disney by having them do absolutely nothing they want and everything that terrifies or scares them. And my DSM compares all the children, so L is being measured against 2 9.5 year olds and a 5.5 year old, with no consideration for the fact that she isn't even 3.

Vacations with my family are always hell. I have 25+ years of this and I still signed up. I am dumb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:06 am 
Semen Strong

And my stepmother just threw a tantrum and refused to do stuff with us on a different day, because that is when she is meeting her friends. Because a 65+ year old woman doesn't have to "go with the flow." Just a 2 year old.

And they are refusing to not leave sharp knives on the counter or close the front door, because their kids are old enough to know not to run into traffic or grab knives. So that is helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:14 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

What a nightmare Tofulish! If I were in your shoes I would probably just firmly, but politely go my own way and meet-up later for dinner or something. They sound unreasonable, so why bother even reasoning?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish, I'm sorry that you are in the middle of such a nightmare! I say ditch them and do what Leela wants for a day. Or just hang out at the pool. Good luck ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

oh lordy t'lish!

I vacation with my in laws every year and it's exactly the same even when we didn't have kids yet. My husband, kids and myself now just do our own thing and don't care anymore about what they think. We are on such opposite schedules as them and aren't interested in doing the same things as them. They eat 2 breakfasts! TWO!! Sometimes 2 dinners! TWO!! A 9 pm second dinner, out, is not working with kids. Neither is a 10 mile bike ride, in another beach town, 1 hour away going to work. They come to the beach as we are getting ready to head back to the house after we have already been on the beach for at least 5 hours. Its crazy.

If it's that miserable for you then just go home. Really. Just go! Or get your own hotel. If they are leaving knives around and the front door open they aren't respecting the safety of your child. Its not worth it. Vacations are suppose to be fun and relaxing, if they are keeping you from those two things then either abandon them during the day, get your own hotel (which is $$$$) or go home. I'm serious. I've left our vacation's early a few years.

As for theme parks it's unfair what they are doing to you guys especially since L is so young and not tall enough for a lot of rides. Even when the 4 of us go to the state fair I take one kid and my husband takes the other and we split up because they are aged/heighted for separate rides and separate parts of the park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176  Next