| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 176  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:46 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3857
Location: Panama City, Florida
guess what? shae's back to normal now. grades all back up, turning in all assignments, minimal attitude. it's pretty fantastic. he's not ruined afterall!

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5958
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Audrey wrote:
I think I'm sorta spoiled with Dahlia being such a regular sleeper because I cannot handle what happened last night.


I'm sorry. We had a night a LOT like that last night followed by a normal 7 a.m. wakeup and oy... yeah. Yeah. I hope tonight goes better! For both of us!

(But I have to admit that I laughed about her wanting to sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider in the middle of the night. It's funny when it's not me and my kid!)

The Emperor has decided that a second nap is for losers and now he only takes one nap. Which is fine, if I manage to keep him asleep for 2 or 3 hours in that one nap. He NEEDS 2 or 3 hours of nap throughout the day or he is a little beast. But if he goes to sleep for 40 minutes and wakes up, now he's done, and he's just up until bedtime. It's... subpar.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:54 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm
Posts: 470
Location: la la land
Kelly wrote:
guess what? shae's back to normal now. grades all back up, turning in all assignments, minimal attitude. it's pretty fantastic. he's not ruined afterall!


that is great news! now i have hope for henry.

_________________
http://vegan-mom.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 1107
Location: the homestead
my son can not stand any whirring, whizzing or buzzing thing. from birth- dryers, vacuums, and yes, blenders, food processors and spice mills al cause a total meltdown. I try warning him, i try using them in the laundry room, far from him, no matter what, they freak him out, and it takes forever to calm him down. I feel horrible, but sometimes i have to do it, and since its just the two of us most of the time, i can't not do it. when will this end (and why didn't he get the baby memo that babies like these sounds?)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3857
Location: Panama City, Florida
erin32mc wrote:
Kelly wrote:
guess what? shae's back to normal now. grades all back up, turning in all assignments, minimal attitude. it's pretty fantastic. he's not ruined afterall!


that is great news! now i have hope for henry.


Seriously. If Shae can come back from the depths of dramaz he was in, anyone can do it! He's even doing his chores without being asked. I probably shouldn't have typed that for fear of ruining it.

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:08 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:05 am
Posts: 763
Location: California
jildez wrote:
my son can not stand any whirring, whizzing or buzzing thing. from birth- dryers, vacuums, and yes, blenders, food processors and spice mills al cause a total meltdown. I try warning him, i try using them in the laundry room, far from him, no matter what, they freak him out, and it takes forever to calm him down. I feel horrible, but sometimes i have to do it, and since its just the two of us most of the time, i can't not do it. when will this end (and why didn't he get the baby memo that babies like these sounds?)

Zola started hating loud noises once she got past the colic stage. Before that, they were great, but after, they were terrifying. She still doesn't like them. She will now just leave the room if there's a noise she doesn't like and go in our room and close the door. She's 3, and I'd say she's been able to do that for about 6 months or so.


OK, now my vent. Every afternoon when I finally get Felix to sleep, I have to lay in bed next to him and nurse him until he's in a deep sleep. Then I slowly, slowly creep off of the bed and play with Zola/get her a snack/read her a book/change her diaper/whatever. But several days a week Zola just does not have the patience to wait those 5-10 minutes. She MUST have her needs met RIGHT NOW!!!! I whisper to her, "Just wait a few minutes, Zola. Then I can get up and help you." But she starts crying, and kicking, and rolling around in bed. "Zola, please calm down, if you wake Felix back up, it'll take me longer to help you." But no. She continues to cry and kick and whine, so either Felix wakes up, or I get up and carry the sleeping, nearly 3 foot tall, 28 lb kid in a cradle hold with one arm while I get her her snack or change or diaper or whatever. Then he ends up waking up anyway because I'm only able to support half of his body with my one arm and that isn't too comfortable, I'm sure. It makes me want to scream and pull my hair out. It's so hard to get a break. I'm so, so tired of trying so hard to get him down for a nap, nursing and waiting, nursing and waiting, just to have her come in and cry and whine and kick and wake him back up.
The other thing. Felix wants to nurse all night. All night. It's getting so uncomfortable, and I really can't sleep very well while he's nursing, so I'm exhausted all the time. I have not had a good night's sleep in about 3 1/2 years. But, I keep telling myself that I should really, really enjoy this time, because nursing him all night is better than when the kids are teenagers and I don't know where the hell they are because they snuck out at 3 am.

_________________
NO ONE expects the Hummish Inquisition! - Footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:48 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 844
Location: Northern NJ
keen_on_quinoa wrote:
She MUST have her needs met RIGHT NOW!!!! I whisper to her, "Just wait a few minutes, Zola. Then I can get up and help you." But she starts crying, and kicking, and rolling around in bed. "Zola, please calm down, if you wake Felix back up, it'll take me longer to help you." But no. She continues to cry and kick and whine,


The terrible 3's! Which are way worse than the terrible 2's! Reno does this and it's maddening. She just CANNOT wait a simple minute, everything is NOW NOW NOW!!! I'm hoping that this phase will end before the new baby gets here in May because I can't imagine dealing with her like this while taking care of baby.

_________________
The blog: good-good-things


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:53 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm
Posts: 470
Location: la la land
Everything is a battle. Cleaning up, brushing teeth, putting away his dishes, doing his homework, etc. Every comment has attitude. Reward chart doesn't work, consequences don't work.
If someone asked me today if having kids was worth it, I'd say no. Ask me tomorrow, I'll have a different answer but right now, it's a fast no.

_________________
http://vegan-mom.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:30 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3857
Location: Panama City, Florida
erin32mc wrote:
Everything is a battle. Cleaning up, brushing teeth, putting away his dishes, doing his homework, etc. Every comment has attitude. Reward chart doesn't work, consequences don't work.
If someone asked me today if having kids was worth it, I'd say no. Ask me tomorrow, I'll have a different answer but right now, it's a fast no.



hugs erin! it'll get better, i promise. you sound just like me a few weeks ago. felt so hopeless! but it really does get better.

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 2159
Location: nj
Here's my 1st vent. I hope no one gets mad at me for admitting this, but before i had a kid whenever i saw a parent getting upset about their kids getting older (like empty nest syndrome, etc) I thought it was lame and they needed to get a life. Now, Kai has just grow out of his newborn size clothes into 0 - 3 and I feel downright weepy. He's growing up! Waah. Oh how things change haha.

_________________
I'm not asking for utopian dreams...just a little peace in this world. That's a logical thing. - Deee-Lite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 1570
Location: Maine
Walter cries every time I put him down. I cannot get anything done. I cannot eat lunch or brush my teeth without him screaming. I wear him in a moby wrap as much as I can, but sometimes I need a break. He also wants to nurse nonstop while he's awake. He'll eat for 10 minutes, fall asleep, and then wake up 20 minutes later screaming and trying to suck on my sweatshirt. My family is no help; they're telling me to just let him cry. This phase is no fun at all. I am tired.

Phew! Vent over.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 2159
Location: nj
mittenmacher wrote:
Walter cries every time I put him down. I cannot get anything done. I cannot eat lunch or brush my teeth without him screaming. I wear him in a moby wrap as much as I can, but sometimes I need a break. He also wants to nurse nonstop while he's awake. He'll eat for 10 minutes, fall asleep, and then wake up 20 minutes later screaming and trying to suck on my sweatshirt. My family is no help; they're telling me to just let him cry. This phase is no fun at all. I am tired.

Phew! Vent over.

I'm right there with you sister. I'm so tired and if my mom tells me to just let him cry one more time I'm going to scream.

_________________
I'm not asking for utopian dreams...just a little peace in this world. That's a logical thing. - Deee-Lite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:21 am 
Offline
And you never will.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 4411
Location: Memphis
Aubade wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:
Walter cries every time I put him down. I cannot get anything done. I cannot eat lunch or brush my teeth without him screaming. I wear him in a moby wrap as much as I can, but sometimes I need a break. He also wants to nurse nonstop while he's awake. He'll eat for 10 minutes, fall asleep, and then wake up 20 minutes later screaming and trying to suck on my sweatshirt. My family is no help; they're telling me to just let him cry. This phase is no fun at all. I am tired.

Phew! Vent over.

I'm right there with you sister. I'm so tired and if my mom tells me to just let him cry one more time I'm going to scream.

I could have written this post not that long ago (and in fact, I wrote one very similar). It gets better. It will feel like forever, but just hang in there. Don't get me wrong, poopiebaby still wants to be held/nurse 80% of the time, but that other 20% is magic. MAGIC.

_________________
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars
One vegan baker to another: "Dude, do you even sift?" - FootFace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:35 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 630
Location: Ontario
poopiebitch wrote:
Aubade wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:
Walter cries every time I put him down. I cannot get anything done. I cannot eat lunch or brush my teeth without him screaming. I wear him in a moby wrap as much as I can, but sometimes I need a break. He also wants to nurse nonstop while he's awake. He'll eat for 10 minutes, fall asleep, and then wake up 20 minutes later screaming and trying to suck on my sweatshirt. My family is no help; they're telling me to just let him cry. This phase is no fun at all. I am tired.

Phew! Vent over.

I'm right there with you sister. I'm so tired and if my mom tells me to just let him cry one more time I'm going to scream.

I could have written this post not that long ago (and in fact, I wrote one very similar). It gets better. It will feel like forever, but just hang in there. Don't get me wrong, poopiebaby still wants to be held/nurse 80% of the time, but that other 20% is magic. MAGIC.


I don't know how old all your babies are, but Dash is now 2.5 months and the last few weeks have been delightful. That switch turned where he actually SMILES and has happy awake time instead of just eating screaming and sleeping, and it makes up for the other crepe.

Still too traumatized by all this to even think about having a second kid (everyone keeps asking when the next one is coming - are you people forking crazy?!) but it is getting better day by day and I know I should value this time when he's actually a cute baby before he gets mobile / starts talking.

However, I do really wish the pre-nap whining fits would go. It's downright obnoxious to be whined at for 20 minutes several times a day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:27 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Seattle
sneakers wrote:
Still too traumatized by all this to even think about having a second kid (everyone keeps asking when the next one is coming - are you people forking crazy?!) but it is getting better day by day and I know I should value this time when he's actually a cute baby before he gets mobile / starts talking.


From the time GlueGun was a little baby up until he was 5 or so, our next-door neighbor (guy in his 70s) used to ask me this all the time. When are you having another? His idea was that you needed a spare.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:33 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5958
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
mittenmacher wrote:
Walter cries every time I put him down. I cannot get anything done. I cannot eat lunch or brush my teeth without him screaming. I wear him in a moby wrap as much as I can, but sometimes I need a break. He also wants to nurse nonstop while he's awake. He'll eat for 10 minutes, fall asleep, and then wake up 20 minutes later screaming and trying to suck on my sweatshirt. My family is no help; they're telling me to just let him cry. This phase is no fun at all. I am tired.

Phew! Vent over.


I hear you! It seems like babies must do SOMETHING in their first couple of months other than cry, sleep, and nurse, but I sure don't remember anything else.

Sorry, I hope you get a break from somewhere soon! And same thing for everyone else with new babies. If I lived near you, I'd come over and hold your kid while you bathed. Taking a shower goes so so far to making you feel human at that point.

I do eventually want another baby but I couldn't get to the point of even saying "eventually" until the Emperor was pretty close to a year old.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:45 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7071
Location: Fort Drum NY
not listening!! whining!! especially when i have a migraine!!! keeps asking for more and more stuff!!! STOP ASKING FOR THINGS!! ARGH!

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 1570
Location: Maine
sneakers wrote:
Still too traumatized by all this to even think about having a second kid (everyone keeps asking when the next one is coming - are you people forking crazy?!


Walter is only 4 weeks old. I'm glad to hear it gets better soon; I know this is only temporary. I keep reminding myself that someday he'll be living on his own and too busy with his job and social life to return his doddering old mother's phone calls, and then I'll miss brand-new-baby-Walter. But at this point, I cannot imagine why anyone intentionally has more than one child. This is hard. If we ever have another (and I am totally okay with the idea of an only child) it won't be until Walter can feed, bathe, and entertain himself.

Hang in there, Sneakers, Aubade, and Poopie!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 2159
Location: nj
sneakers wrote:
I don't know how old all your babies are, but Dash is now 2.5 months and the last few weeks have been delightful. That switch turned where he actually SMILES and has happy awake time instead of just eating screaming and sleeping, and it makes up for the other crepe.


Kai is 9.5 weeks now and that's true, he is smiling more too, plus interested in toys and things. It is great that he's more responsive, the problem is he still won't sleep unless he's held. So I don't get a break (& everybody says just let him cry in the crib). I'm trying to start the no cry sleep solution plan this week so hopefully it will help.

On the other hand, I go back to work in 3 weeks so at least it is easy to remind myself this is short-lived. I am trying to enjoy holding him every second I can.

_________________
I'm not asking for utopian dreams...just a little peace in this world. That's a logical thing. - Deee-Lite


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 pm
Posts: 1041
Location: chicagoland-ish suburbs
sneakers wrote:
Still too traumatized by all this to even think about having a second kid (everyone keeps asking when the next one is coming - are you people forking crazy?!) but it is getting better day by day and I know I should value this time when he's actually a cute baby before he gets mobile / starts talking.



Oh, I remember that. Those first few months especially when people mentioned siblings I was so not ready to even think about going there. My kids will be 2 1/2 years apart, and that's as close as I could stand (before that I was just not ready to give up my arms and the small amount of free time I've finally reclaimed).

I seem to remember those first few months things really did improve exponentially every month. Two months was better, then three months was even better, and four months was kind of awesome, etc.

As far as the whining goes... well, that just gets worse.

_________________
Gwyneth Paltrow: "I'm superstitious. Whenever I start a new movie I kill a hobo with a hammer."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:50 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Seattle
My friends, I can't take days like this. He can be so demanding, inflexible, and eight years old! Crying, crying, crying when he doesn't get his way, when he doesn't get ENOUGH. Is anything ever enough? Drawing out the crying so he can show us how upset he is and how rotten we are. I just can't take it. Days like this I want to run away.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:51 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm
Posts: 844
Location: Northern NJ
FootFace wrote:
My friends, I can't take days like this. He can be so demanding, inflexible, and eight years old! Crying, crying, crying when he doesn't get his way, when he doesn't get ENOUGH. Is anything ever enough? Drawing out the crying so he can show us how upset he is and how rotten we are. I just can't take it. Days like this I want to run away.


This was exactly how Reno was today except she isn't 8 years old...she's 3. If she's going to be like this until she is 8 i'm going to die.

_________________
The blog: good-good-things


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:53 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Seattle
Today isn't getting better!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:09 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 630
Location: Ontario
Hmm, should I run away now, then?

Footface, from what I can surmise, you are a great parent and even if you're being driven crazy by GG right now, you can handle it. I wish there was more I could say, but I'm years behind you in the parenting department. The only thing I've learned so far is that every day is different, so keep your fingers crossed that tomorrow will be an awesome day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:19 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Seattle
Yeah, here's hoping!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 176  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer