| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Placenta encapsulation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone had their placenta encapsulated, or saved/consumed it in some other way? I'm considering the former, but every time I see photos of placentas it's revolting. It's an organ, but it's my organ, and if it really does have the touted benefits, seems like I should make use of it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
--Susan.

Post subject: Re: Placenta encapsulation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:38 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I was going to do it but my parents took my placenta home and forgot it overnight in the car. It probably wouldn't have been a big deal if it was winter, but nope, had to be July. I ended up planting a tree over it.

But... I am still mad. I got PPD and am on antidepressants instead. I still wonder if eating the placenta would have worked for the mood dive.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I was seriously considering having my placenta encapsulated by a local doula, but ultimately I chickened out because I was too afraid of blood-borne diseases that I might catch from her dehydrator (even though she assured me she cleans it with bleach, etc.). So I brought my placenta home in a cooler, and I planned to wait and see: if I felt like I needed it, my husband said he would cut it up into chunks for smoothies. I knew I couldn't stomach cutting it up myself. 6 weeks out, I haven't had any problems with depression, so I think it's just going to go in the garden next summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

My daughter was born in a caravan in a field in rural Sussex, U.K. We fed it to my two big dogs. They loved it. Job done.
It just seemed like the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

^ That is fabulous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

The woman who lived above me in my last apartment had her placenta encapsulated and said it helped her a lot with handling PPD. She also saved some for her son in the event that "he's ever in a tough spot in his life and needs a pick-me-up", which, well, I don't want to say that particular part weirded me out but it totally weirded me out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:03 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I really don't want to consume my placenta at all, BUT. I recently met a new mom who swears taking placenta capsules really helped her with PPD. It's given me something to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I'm totally going to keep my placenta this time. But whether it's to encapsulate or to plant... I'm not sure yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i ate mine. no big deal. i cut some pieces off once we were home from the hospital and had them in a smoothie with strawberry and banana and coconut milk. tasted good, and our post-birth experience was so traumatic and exhausting, i figured i could use all the help i could get. i didn't eat anywhere near the whole thing though, maybe just 1 cup worth over a couple days. i don't think it would be worth encapsulating though... no research indicates the usefulness of consuming the placenta at all, that i know of, and i have no reason to believe that the hormones and and nutrients have any ability to withstand the encapsulating process. not worth the cost and effort of encapsulation to me, anyway. i will be repeating the smoothie trick next time though, i did not end up with PPD, and came out of the newborn stage relatively unscathed.