| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Other kid's parties
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I am having a "do we or don't we" dilemma about a birthday party today.

We've met these people several times (via a meetup playgroup) and I've chatted with the mom once or twice and she's nice and her kids seem okay too, however, Livi doesn't really notice they exist. The 5 year old is having a birthday party today at 1 at a local bowling alley and we were invited via facebook invite. Now, Livi, like most kids, likes parties and that's why I'm considering going. However, she clearly won't be able to bowl and I'm feeling stingy - we don't know them very well and I don't really want to buy the kid presents. I know, harsh, right?

So what would you guys do in a similar situation?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Other kid's parties
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

If my kid didn't know anything about it we wouldn't go, i.e. if no one has said anything to Livi yet about the party. You don't know them well and how much fun is Livi going to have?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

if she can't even participate in the main activity it just doesn't seem worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We wouldn't go either. If she can't bowl what is she going to do at the party if everyone else is bowling?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:49 pm 
Huffs Nooch

We have had similar things happen with our daughter Echo. We didn't take her. She is six now and sometimes hears about the parties and we will normally give her a choice: Go to ________ party or go to the library and read with us. Or the park, or the art gallery, or just stay home and play board games. If the birthday party is something where she would enjoy participating then she will sometimes make that choice - but normally she prefers to just stay with us.

We also always have a small stash of cupcakes in the car when going to parties so if she is sad about not being able to eat the non-vegan food at the party then we can magically pull out some vegan cupcakes for her.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 pm 

Thanks guys! We didn't go. We went to story time at Barnes & Noble and I bought her a new book.

xmiyux - That's sweet - I think Livi would like Echo :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:04 pm 
Huffs Nooch

appifanie wrote:
Thanks guys! We didn't go. We went to story time at Barnes & Noble and I bought her a new book.

Excellent that the book bribe works! We totally resort to bribery on some things but don't ever feel too guilty since the bribe is always a book from Borders.

Children's parties though are pretty much sheer hell so any opportunity to avoid them should be embraced.

edit: And I'm sure our girls would get along well as long as your little one was alright playing pretend, cooking, and art. That is pretty much all Echo does. For Christmas we stocked her up with a ton of art supplies and cleared out a room that is her studio. So now she makes pictures, tells stories about the pictures, and basically is working on covering every inch of our house floor with cast off glitter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:18 pm 

xmiyux wrote:
appifanie wrote:

Excellent that the book bribe works! We totally resort to bribery on some things but don't ever feel too guilty since the bribe is always a book from Borders.

Children's parties though are pretty much sheer hell so any opportunity to avoid them should be embraced.

edit: And I'm sure our girls would get along well as long as your little one was alright playing pretend, cooking, and art. That is pretty much all Echo does. For Christmas we stocked her up with a ton of art supplies and cleared out a room that is her studio. So now she makes pictures, tells stories about the pictures, and basically is working on covering every inch of our house floor with cast off glitter.

It wasn't a bribe! I always get her at least one book when we go as long as she's being good.

And that's awesome! Glitter's powers to take over are amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I guess I meant a reward instead of a bribe. We have taken to buying her books when she does well on her math in school. Unfortunately the little one inherited the terrible math skills of both her liberal art parents.