| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet moments with your kids (The anti-venting zone)
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pinko wrote:
Inez was pretending to be a doctor and listening to my chest and her stuffed dog's with her "telescope" (aka stethoscope, aka my phone charger). Then she put it on my belly and said, "Oh! Hear that? You got a baby in there!"

That's so cute!
Beet always asks what the baby is saying when it kicks -- I always tell him the baby says, "I love you Beety, I can't wait to come out and meet you!" and such. But the other day, Raygold heard Beety asking what the baby said and Raygold said, "the baby says whee-ooh-whee-ooh-whee-ooh-whee-ooh," in an uncanny imitation of a doppler stethoscope.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Aw, doctor Inez!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Awe Dr Inez and cutie Raygold! Love this thread.

So, I rarely leave Silas. Tonight, he stayed at my parents house for a few hours so my husband & I could take Shae to his welcome ceremony at his new high school. Silas has sat through a bunch of presentations lately for Shae's school stuff and I figured he should skip this one. He had a ball and loved being there, but when we got home he drew a picture of him holding my hand, us looking at each other smiling and named it his "I'm never leaving you ever again, Mommy" picture. Uh....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:12 pm 

Ugh. Killer. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:57 pm 
Semen Strong

We sat down for our first family dinner ever, and Brett decided to show Leela some magic tricks. You know, making the coin disappear and reappear. And he was sufficiently bad at it, that she figured out what he was doing. But she lacks the dexterity to figure out how to palm the coin, instead of dropping it.

So she'd make the coin "disappear" with this huge smile on her face, and we're watching it drop to the floor, laughing our faces off.

It was hilarious and wonderful. Our baby is a quick study!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:32 pm 

That sounds wonderful! Freya has this "trick" where she hides her hands down the side of her chair, sorta between the wood and the cushion. "Oh my gosh! Where are Freya's hands? Oh no!", followed by hands presented with giggling glee. Of course, occasionally this happens when Karl and I are having a conversation with each other and then we suddenly hear shouts of "HANDS!! HANDS!!" Hee.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Z is sooo happy when he wakes up in the morning. When my partner's alarm goes off, Z dances to it every single time! Then all morning, we've been smiling at each other, playing peekaboo, he'll lean on me and then look up and grin again. And he yanks down my shirt to giggle at my breast and talk at it (mostly squeaks, squeals, and "mumma"s.) Just a cute, cuddly morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

These days, I LOVE night nursing! It's the only time I really get Vax all to myself. Woke up the other night -- Vax had shimmied over so he was right in my face and he was honking -- honking!! -- to wake me up so I'd nurse him. It was hilarious, even though I was really tired.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

As soon as I got home from work today Malka and I donned our bathing suits - I even braved putting her in her swim diaper and putting her in the car seat, no accidents! - and high tailed it to the pool. She cheered and chanting "SWIMmin SWIMmin SWIMmin" most of the way there. When we got there she told me we couldn't go in the pool since the waterfall was off (lifeguard safety break) and waited very patiently to be allowed in - I am so amazed at how much she understands of the way stuff works in her world. She splashed around, jumped in to the "deep end" (3 and a half feet) over and over, ran around the shallow end, willingly joined in another child's game involving toys (and didn't try to make off with them), after every lifeguard whistle she immediately shouted "no running!" It was super fun and she was adorable.

When we got home from the pool we said we were going out to eat and she ran to the stairs to put on shoes and yelled PIZZA! So we went out for pizza and she actually ate and was civilized the entire time!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 pm 
Semen Strong

So cute Ariann! I am so glad her pinkeye is better!

It is amazing how many good conversations we can now have and how much Leela understands as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:16 pm 

Yay for swimming! F raises her arms, roller-coaster style when we approach the turn in the path where she can see our local pool.

Tonight, after a god-awful, hideous, self-loathing, mostly shithole of a day (bean awake for 3 hours last night, then refusing to nap and crabby and saying "Pappa. Come home. Fey. Want."....out of nowhere, she plants this big hug on me and says "cuddle...".

Maybe she really does love me way down deep somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Aw, nej. We are on vacay and damn is Malka just freqking adorable like all the time when I am not freaking out about work. Even without a nap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Last night tiny wu and her dad were playing on the kitchen floor while I made dinner. Suddenly she says "ma-ma-ma-ma," crawled over to me, started climbing my legs and saying "ma-ma-ma-ma" again. Of course I picked her up for a snuggle.

My baby knows I'm her mama! Heart melts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 pm 

Ariann, that sounds marvellous!

sv, I sorta miss the "ma ma" days. We've been full-on "mommy" for awhile. I'm sure one day, it will morph again to "mom".

Two from today:

Freya is toddling around while I'm getting things ready to take a shower. She's carrying Lego, going back and forth between her room and mine/Karl's. I can her saying something but can't quite make it out, but she's happy and content. I come to investigate a bit because I plan to close our door when I go in the shower (it's not super kid-safe in there), and don't know if I'm interrupting something important. What I see is her going to the Lego box in her room, choosing a piece/animal and saying "show" "show" and then "show Pappa". She walks into our room and up to a shelf where there is a pic of me and K. She holds up the pieces and says "see. Pappa. see", then repeats the scenario.

Later, we're changing her nappy and she's talking about some animal that she saw on a farm. I say "do you mean the farm when we were in Norway with FarFar and FarMor? (grandparents)?" She shakes head yes and says "Miss dem. Farfar." Whew "You miss FarFar and FarMor?". "Yes. House. Go. Fey."

Oh, my heart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
sv, I sorta miss the "ma ma" days. We've been full-on "mommy" for awhile. I'm sure one day, it will morph again to "mom".

My kids call me crabby and occasionally momma. I'm hoping if they ever stop calling me by my first name that they will call me ma as I'm not keen on mum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's funny. My oldest calls me Mom, and my little one still says "muh-muh" (as opposed to mama), and I'm kind of hoping he goes with Mum. I think Mum sounds so sweet! (Maybe it's because I'm from the States where it's not common.)

Crabby, I love that they can use your first name. I would love for my kids to do that, but my partner finds it really odd. Probably as they get older, they will though. (My partner calls his mom by her name except directly to her.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:34 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

If it helps to think of it this way, most kids I know whose parents are similarly gendered tend to call their parents by first names. Some people come up with something like "mommy and mama" or "dad and papa" but really, most of the time in my experience, same-gendered parents end up having their kids call them by first names. I'm not saying you should choose to do that just because same-gendered couples do it, but, it is something I think opposite-gendered parental partners don't necessarily think about because that partnering structure comes with different names for each parent already built in, and just because that's the "traditional" way to do it doesn't mean there's really any reason you must do it like that. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't know any same gendered parent families whose kids call them by their first names (at least not in public). Malka calls us mommy/daddy or our first names depending on her mood.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:55 am 

We do mama and papa. I wouldn't mind the first name, but my first name is pretty impossible for most kids to say so I don't see that happening for several years.

On the name topic, my MIL doesn't seem to approve and constantly calls us mommy and daddy and even more annoyingly buys babynut clothes with mommy this and daddy that sayings on them. Maybe I should start calling her the wrong name...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
On the name topic, my MIL doesn't seem to approve and constantly calls us mommy and daddy and even more annoyingly buys babynut clothes with mommy this and daddy that sayings on them. Maybe I should start calling her the wrong name...

My kids call my MIL "dad's mum"!! That totally cracks me up. My husband's grandmother is "grandma." Hee hee.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Butternut - as juvenile as it sounds I had a similar situation with my mother. She for some reason decided that instead of "Grandma and Grandpa", that we would refer to them as "Big Mama" and "Big Papa" which I think is weird. She then decided that she didn't like my son's name "Giles" and started calling him "lil' Hank". I had asked her several times not to do so and when she refused, I started calling her "Grandma." She got the point and decided to respect our choices in names and we did the same for her...it could be a worth a try at least.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:19 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm not sure it would even occur to V that I *have* a first name.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annasrobbie wrote:
Butternut - as juvenile as it sounds I had a similar situation with my mother. She for some reason decided that instead of "Grandma and Grandpa", that we would refer to them as "Big Mama" and "Big Papa" which I think is weird. She then decided that she didn't like my son's name "Giles" and started calling him "lil' Hank". I had asked her several times not to do so and when she refused, I started calling her "Grandma." She got the point and decided to respect our choices in names and we did the same for her...it could be a worth a try at least.

Ha! I love this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:26 pm 

annasrobble, glad it got sorted out. I would be upset if my parents/inlaws started called Freya some random name.

annak, we've just recently started talking about this with F. Sometimes I'll say "Who is Karl? She just runs to/looks at Pappa and giggles". Same with "Jen". I've never heard her say the names, but I think she knows we're referred to by these names sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I just need to thank the gods and the dogs for my kid. We are living in a very unhealthy family dynamic right now, and my 13 year old, although she may not be able to control her computer usage, is more stable than some other unnamed people. She is very level-headed and I am sooo thankful. And she knows it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next