| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet moments with your kids (The anti-venting zone)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
When Leela makes eye contact with me while nursing, she pulls off, and gives me the hugest, gummiest smile. I can hear my heart crack wide open every time.

Ha! I came to this thread to post about the Magician doing exactly that over the past week or so. He looks up at me and it's like his brain short circuits... "oh hey! it's mom! nice to see you!" and he bursts out in this huge grin and drops the boob.

Then the confused face as his brain gets the signal: hey, the milk is gone, what gives?

I love it. It's so cute. I don't remember the Emperor ever doing this.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

from best of the day.... am so proud that i am cross posting....

Sprog, my daughter, now wants to be called FishyChips. Just BTW.

Anyway, FishyChips received an old radio as a present from one of our mechanics. This radio is a POS that doesn't work well BUT it somehow manages to tune in the air traffic control tower from the smallish airport near our house OR from the regional control base that is located at the airport (which covers the entire south of the country). I suspect it is the tower because it's not super busy. In any case, it is a mix of Portuguese, surprisingly good English, and Morse code. FishyChips is now teaching herself Morse code so she can spy on the tower. Just when I think I am about to reach the end of my rope with this pre-teen, I look in her room and see her becoming awesome.
You folks with the grumpy toddlers and the sleep issues and the rest, hang in there, it gets pretty cool!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ahh that I love torque! She is the awesomest kid.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was leaving the living room and B opened the door for me, bowing with a flourish. As I step through the door, he starts to close it on me really fast. I yelp and just manage to make it out in time. On the other side of the door, I hear him giggle and say, "boobie trap!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That is adorable, cc.

Yesterday I had a great day with grey, I took him shopping then we went to 2 farmers markets and he was mostly a trooper through it all. He fell asleep on the car ride home and we were able to go out to dinner! Then he and I took a bath and he slept pretty good. These last few weeks have been awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 am 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor fell asleep in his wagon on the way home from the farmers market yesterday. When we got home, I parked him in the shade in the back yard and went in the kitchen (where I could still see him) to do some chores. When I saw he was waking up like forty minutes later, I went to help him up. He snuggled into my arms and said, "just hold me mama. Don't put me down."

D'awwww. Couldn't say no to that if I wanted to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:00 am 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician doesn't like to nurse to sleep, so a lot of nights I end up nursing him and then putting him in his carseat and rocking him to sleep in it. (I don't remember even knowing that the damn thing rocked when E was a baby, but the Magician freaking loves it.) Often he just stares at me with this vaguely annoyed/confused expression until he falls asleep.

Tonight I was reading a book while rocking him and looked up and saw that he was watching me and smiling faintly. When I made eye contact with him, his little smile turned into a huge grin. I smiled back at him and he smiled back at me and we just kept smiling at each other for like another 10 minutes. His attention would start to drift, his smile would start to wane, and then he'd see me again and his face would light up. And then eventually he fell asleep.

Holy shiitake do I ever love this baby.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:02 am 
Grandfathered In

Last night, GG asked me to read to him at bedtime. I used to read to him every night. For years. But not lately. I said, "Sure." He said, "You're supposed to get in bed with me." I did. "Wait. No. You're supposed to..." and he worked his way in so my arm was around him. "Okay," smiling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It was my day off so Malka and I went to music class and then went visiting at an Alzheimer's facility where I used to work as a chaplain. She was so sweet and not crabby about a bunch of strange people wanting to be in her face. Everybody was really charmed by her.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I swear when grey turned nine months lat week he turned into a different baby. A baby who is happy all the time, only cries when I out clothes on him or change his diaper (he hates clothes) and he is seemingly not having his crazy separation anxiety anymore. It is amazing. The last two days have been especially great.

I love the story about the Magician. He really sounds magical!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

littlebear wrote:
I swear when grey turned nine months lat week he turned into a different baby. A baby who is happy all the time, only cries when I out clothes on him or change his diaper (he hates clothes) and he is seemingly not having his crazy separation anxiety anymore. It is amazing. The last two days have been especially great.

Oh, that corner sounds amazing to turn. We're going through a difficult separation anxiety period with lots of crying right now. Vi's also been sleeping either great or terribly. She's just shy of 9mo..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annak wrote:
littlebear wrote:

Oh, that corner sounds amazing to turn. We're going through a difficult separation anxiety period with lots of crying right now. Vi's also been sleeping either great or terribly. She's just shy of 9mo..

I hope you have the same with violet. Just this morning he was happy to pull books off the book shelf while I it away laundry. Two weeks ago he would not have let Me do that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beetroot decided 'Abney and Teal' (stop animation kids show characters) were coming over yesterday. He kept telling us that all day and said we had to wrap up some chocolate for both of them as presents and that they would bring me pink medicine because I was sick and that Raygold could hold their wee friend Neep. Before we went to bed, I was all, "we had so much fun with Abney and Teal today!" Beetroot was beaming. (I continued:) "They were so happy when they opened their presents and saw the chocolate -- they said it was the best present -- and we had a picnic with tea and cakes on the lawn and Raygold held Neep until you and Raygold had to chase him and then we all walked them down to the bus stop and they went home."
Beetroot was SO happy. When he was falling asleep, he kept turning to me and saying, "today was such a good day, Crabby. Today was a beautiful day."

Also, earlier yesterday, Raygold was all, "Beet, I love you, Beet. Beet, I love you!" Eventually, I had to intervene and say, "Beetroot, tell Raygold you love him." Beetroot comes over and hug-strangles Raygold. "I love you so much, Raygold!"
I was dying of cute.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:47 am 
Semen Strong

Awwww! Crabby, I love your posts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not sure if this fits here exactly, but Beetroot is ill. He woke up in the middle of the night crying and later again saying, "I have to pee and poo, Crabby. Yes or no?" I said yes and took him to the bathroom, where he peed, cried, and didn't poop.
We went back to bed and he said, "Great job, Crabby!" Then he said, "I give you a kiss now...and now a hug. Now you give me a kiss...and a hug. Great job, Crabby!"

I wanted to give him some children's paracetamol (Tylenol to you yanks), but he didn't want any medicine. So I was all, "you know, April" [a friend of mine (a doctor and a vegan) who my kids love to talk to on the phone] "suggested I give you Calpol instead, would you like that, it's pink?"
"Oh, yes."
Calpol is children's paracetamol.

Because I am so callous (note mild sarcasm), I am not that upset that he is ill because I know I will have a really easy day. He is in bed with lots of pillows watching TV. I don't have to worry that he is going to go climb on the mantle and give my spider plant another "haircut so it will grow tomatoes" if I leave the room.

I think later I will make him Fairy Tea. My grandma Peggy made it for me a few times to my great delight. You give them (soy) milky warm water and stir in a spoonful of sugar and voila -- the fairy tea turns pink or blue magically! ;D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Oooh how do you make fairy tea? It can't just be milky warm water and sugar, without some magical secret ingredient, can it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know how my grandmother did it (I swear, she would ask me whether I wanted pink or blue fairy tea and then just put the spoon in and stir and it would turn colour I chose), but I hid a dab of food colouring* under the pile of sugar (my grandmother used a sugar cube, I think) on the spoon.

* Normally, I shy away from that stuff, but I make an exception for fairy tea when my kids are sick -- I only actually have food colouring because I used to dye yarn with it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:12 am 
Semen Strong

I love it! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Holy mother of balls my kid is awesome.

She's always been pretty easy, but recently she has just become the sunniest person. We went to the Great Diaper Change yesterday followed by a vegan outreach event (Kathy Stevens) and she was adorable and well-behaved through it all. She got to hang with a bunch of her favorite babies, so it was insanely cute.

I feel like a pretty incompetent parent - I forget stuff, I overschedule us, and yet she doesn't hold it against me. I love her so much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:18 pm 
Chip Strong

Ada woke up from a half hour nap before and I brought her to the living room and laid her on me like I usually do until she adjusts. I was rubbing her back and she looked up and smiled at me a few times and then fell asleep. This has not happened since she was teeny tiny. It's been over an hour and I know she's never going to go to sleep her normal time tonight but I just can't wake her.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I sat on the dining room floor with Miles tonight while he had a long conversation with a Hello Kitty coloring book. Then he would give it to me. Babble...take it back. Try to lick Hello Kitty. Talk some more. Try to stand on his own. Talk some more and then whack me in the face with the book. It was the best! He's 11 months tomorrow!

While we were doing this Reno was in the living room interviewing her Dad about his "vacation" and saying how she and Miles when on a vacation to NYC and had to fly over the entire ocean to get their (we can see the Empire State Building from our house when the trees are bare) but that was ok because they each had a juice box with them. I love her stories.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey and I have been having a rough few days, he is teething and been grumpy. So, we went for a walk and sat in a park. I was feeling a little down from lack of sleep and grumpy baby. He got so happy at the park. Then my friends were walking by, the were across the street and waved st us and grey started crawling toward them, he was so sweet. Then when they got to the park he climbed up on Ella's stroller and kissed (licked) her. Adorable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

JENNA wrote:
I sat on the dining room floor with Miles tonight while he had a long conversation with a Hello Kitty coloring book. Then he would give it to me. Babble...take it back. Try to lick Hello Kitty. Talk some more. Try to stand on his own. Talk some more and then whack me in the face with the book. It was the best! He's 11 months tomorrow!

While we were doing this Reno was in the living room interviewing her Dad about his "vacation" and saying how she and Miles when on a vacation to NYC and had to fly over the entire ocean to get their (we can see the Empire State Building from our house when the trees are bare) but that was ok because they each had a juice box with them. I love her stories.

so sweet <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

This morning was pretty sweet. Kai usually moves around too much to cuddle, except right before bed. He'll give me kisses and hugs, but then run off to play with something. So this morning he woke up an hour earlier than he had the past few days, and cried when I tried to go back to sleep. (this morning it was mr. aubade's turn to watch him while I slept in) I felt so bad I got up and sat on the couch with him while he drank his morning milk. He cuddled up with me, and Mr. aubade got on the couch too. So I cuddled up with my partner while Kai cuddled with both of us and even my dog JJ got cuddled up in the crook of my legs. It was so nice, we all cuddled there on the couch for about 40 min. Best Saturday morning ever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

GG has been (mostly) in such a sunny mood today. We ran some errands together and he was happy and playful. We held hands a lot. (Nobody tell him he's "not supposed to" be comfortable with that anymore.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next