| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet moments with your kids (The anti-venting zone)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:05 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

annasrobbie wrote:
Butternut - as juvenile as it sounds I had a similar situation with my mother. She for some reason decided that instead of "Grandma and Grandpa", that we would refer to them as "Big Mama" and "Big Papa" which I think is weird. She then decided that she didn't like my son's name "Giles" and started calling him "lil' Hank". I had asked her several times not to do so and when she refused, I started calling her "Grandma." She got the point and decided to respect our choices in names and we did the same for her...it could be a worth a try at least.

I really hope that Hank is Giles' middle name or something. If she just picked an entirely different name because she doesn't like the one he's got that is...kind of mindblowing.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know people whose parents totally renamed their kids and they were so adamant about it, it basically stuck. Maya is "Tinksy" and Ivy became "Sean". Yeah, I don't even know. But I guess if you want non stop free babysitting, you put up with that kind of crepe?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zeph saw birds outside our sliding glass door, and he was just so, so sweet! He was squeaking and chirping and oohing and making so many cute little sounds. He ran to the door to see them closer, and they kept flying away and then venturing back. He loves those birds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is SO sweet!!! Those little noises sound adorable!

We got Leela a birdfeeder and she watches it like its television. We tell her about all the different types of birds, and she signs "bird!" and gets super-excited.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 am 
***LIES!!!***

I got home from work last night at a quarter to ten and heard Malka happily giggling and talking in her bedroom. She was so hyper and happy. The door was open so she saw me walking by and climbed over my husband, demanding that I brush her teeth (who is this child???) and give her medicine (I gave her vitamins I hadn't given her in the morning). Then I put her back in bed and she gave me a kiss, lay down, and said "good night!" Walked out and then heard her screaming, "ARIANN! ARIANN!!" and came back. Gave her another kiss, closed the door, and didn't go back in, although she kept shouting my name (really happily, she wasn't distressed). When my husband came out an hour later he said she had been lying there singing "head shoulders knees and toes" and doing the motions to herself for a really long time, then lightly hitting him in the face giggling and saying "no hitting! no hitting!" He just turned into a lump and went to sleep and eventually she did, too. The whole thing was super annoying for him, but really hilarious and adorable for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:26 am 
Semen Strong

Leela also gets excited for Brett time in the evening, especially if B comes home late. Last night she was begging to go to sleep at 9pm, but when B walked in at 9:30 she got a second wind and was super-happy to see him and got all excited to play with him.

I wish he had a more regular schedule, and could be home at 7 every night for dinner and then 2 hours of play time followed by a 9pm bedtime, but sadly that isn't going to be possible.

And life is so much easier when they happily brush teeth isn't it? Thanks to Kimba we watch Carlos every night and its a quick affair!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:59 am 
***LIES!!!***

Unfortunately the Carlos video didn't really click with Malka, but something happened over our vacation - maybe it was that she saw our own brushing routine more often, maybe she decided that brushing our teeth was fun (she used to do it, but then not let us do it back), I don't know. But it's a freaking miracle, man. Not only are we now successfully doing nighttime brushing, I actually brushed her teeth in the morning today, which I don't think has ever happened before. I let her sit on the toilet watching Daniel Tiger on the iPad while I took a shower and then she was gung-ho to brush her teeth with me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:57 am 
Level 7 Vegan

so, even though Sierra is such a morning person and we hate it with every fiber of our beings, we're sort of adjusting while she's in the phase and taking turns getting up at the ungodly hour...but the trouble is she also wants everyone else to get up! She goes barreling into Dahlia's room if the door is not shut tightly and will try to get into our bed as well while the other person is sleeping. This morning poor Howard was entertaining her for as long as possible in the livingroom til he finally had to go to the bathroom and she came staggering into the bedroom room "mama mama mama", and climbed on top of me to nurse (all while clutching a blue duplo). It's such a testament to her crazy sweet grin that I kissed and snuggled her instead of growling!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos has been going around the house saying rowboat a lot (for row, row, row your boat). It is very cute. Also, he has been putting his books away and generally being very sweet. He gave me the best hug when I picked him up from daycare yesterday. My mom was there first, and when he saw her the first thing he said was rowboat!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aw, he sounds so big! F too used to walk around saying "row row boat..row row boat". She also liked to do "brown brown see" (for Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do you See?).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malka said "I love you" this morning. I could die.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:11 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Awww, Ariann! <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay! That is just the sweetest, Ariann!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Guys, I don't know what happened, but both of my kids are in magical stages at once. All week! So behaved. So sweet and kind and no attitude/tantrums. It's amazing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 pm 
Semen Strong

That is awesome Kelly!

Leela is just really caring and affectionate. She gives me these cute little backrubs, while she leans on my back and then she'll ruffle my hair. Its so sweet. And if my plate is empty, she'll keep saying "Mama food? Mama food?" to tell me to get more. And she asks for hugs and seriously, her hugs are so great, they make me melt inside. And its cute, because she'll do that for her friends too. When Malka hurt herself last week, and was lying on the floor, Leela lay next to her and spooned her and pet her hair.

I just think she is a wonderful person and I love her so much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

At work I was feeling really down about myself today in general and then I met my partner and babynut in the park. I saw her way before she spotted me. I witnessed the instant that she recognized me and how it excited her to see me. She ran as fast as possible to give me a big hug. It was exactly what I needed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 am 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
And its cute, because she'll do that for her friends too. When Malka hurt herself last week, and was lying on the floor, Leela lay next to her and spooned her and pet her hair.

Yeah, that was super adorable. Malka now reflexively says "sowwy!" and gives us kisses when she smacks us around. I guess that's progress.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut wrote:
At work I was feeling really down about myself today in general and then I met my partner and babynut in the park. I saw her way before she spotted me. I witnessed the instant that she recognized me and how it excited her to see me. She ran as fast as possible to give me a big hug. It was exactly what I needed.

This is surely the greatest feeling that has ever existed. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:59 pm 
Semen Strong

We had the best playdate! We got to hang out with JENNA and her awesome kiddos, which is always a treat!

And Leela initiated play with a 6 year old boy! She just walked over and said "Ask!" which is what she says when she wants to ask someone to do something. And then grabbed his hand and took him for a little walk. He was so sweet, he just went along. And then his 3 year old sister joined them and the three of them just took off exploring the play area and then Reno and Miles joined in, and it was this little gaggle of kiddos all playing together. Leela had a HUGE smile on her face the whole time, and I felt like I was looking forward in time, to a moment when I don't have to be right on top of her every single minute and she is off on her own. It was bittersweet, but most of all, I was just so proud of her.

And she is doing this thing where she says "Hug!" all the time. Just comes up to me and says "Hug!" And I pick her up for hugs and my heart bursts into a thousand rainbow sprinkles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I went out one evening last week (I know!), so my husband brought home a pizza, and we were joking that it was "man time." Then yesterday my husband got home from work and Walter wanted him to play trains. "Come on, daddy, we can be mans together!"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

at just the merest suggestion, FC happily got down on her hands and knees and scrubbed my mother's kitchen, and foyer. This kid is so generous, despite her inborn teenage-requirement snark, that I am really proud of her.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

<3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We finally bought a high-chair (we used to have a low dining table and used a bumbo-style chair, but just got a full-sized dining table), and during dinner, Zephyr fell asleep sitting up in his chair. Sooooo cute. Iz never really did that. Maybe once? Anyway, he fell asleep at 6:30! And stayed sleeping until 6:00 the next morning! (With intermittent nursing - not even awake though!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:13 am 
Naked Under Apron

Beet and Raygold are SO sweet to Vax. Every morning, one or both of them crawls into bed with him and they have a wee chat and dote and fawn over him. Raygold likes to get toys and give Vax product demonstrations (for some reason, Raygold loves watching random people doing product demonstrations for toys on youtube) and the other morning, they both dressed up as ghosts and danced around for Vax. The other day, Raygold wanted them both to wear sunglasses:
And this morning, they are both in bed on either side of Vax, and Raygold is reading him books!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

First day of school!!! there have been so many first days at new schools that she is an old hat, but this is the first one with a school bus and 50 pounds of equipment. Also, the first one while living in such trying circumstances.
She was up early and not the usual grump, managed to eat breakfast, ready to leave early, at the bus stop early, and thank goodness too, the bus came early!!! She got on the bus with courage and a smile.
So proud of this kid.

Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next