| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet moments with your kids (The anti-venting zone)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

First day of school!!! there have been so many first days at new schools that she is an old hat, but this is the first one with a school bus and 50 pounds of equipment. Also, the first one while living in such trying circumstances.
She was up early and not the usual grump, managed to eat breakfast, ready to leave early, at the bus stop early, and thank goodness too, the bus came early!!! She got on the bus with courage and a smile.
So proud of this kid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Iz has started kindergarten, so now I'm finally going to get lots of one-on-one time with Z! The timing is excellent, because he's started doing lots of new things and going through cute phases. We're sitting together while he's eating a muffin, and he takes a sip of water and does that satisfied exhale sound. The cutest thing ever! And that flappy-lip-thing where you go "brrrrrrrr!" He learned kisses too, and he loves to stand on his learning tower and help me bake/cook. He also likes to have serious-face stare-offs. He either laughs or cries at the end. When we take walks, he loves to pull off his hat and socks and shoes and drop them one by one onto the ground. He loves dumping things out. It's so fun to be around him. His personality is really developing now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:13 pm 
Semen Strong

We took Leela to for the Animals sanctuary on Sunday and she had the best time! We had taken her last year (with sashi and Ariann) before she could walk, and she had enjoyed seeing the animals, but this time she was in her element. We let her interact with the chickens with no barriers, and she loved them, and she loved petting the goats and the cows. We didn't let her walk around near the cows, just in case, but she fell in love with the big male, Herbie, and spent a lot of time yelling "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBIE!!!!" Someone posted that a reason to take your children to zoos is just to have them experience the sheer size and being of animals, and I thought that was something L got to do really well at ftA. She also found a few other kids to play with and just had a blast. http://www.fortheanimalssanctuary.org/

She was allowed to go in and meet the pigs in their enclosure, along with our other vegan toddler friend. The females are 400lbs and the males are 600lbs, but she was completely at ease around them and petted them very gently. She and her friend both noticed that Kari, one of the females, had a bloody scratch on her, nothing serious, but they were both very worried about the pig, and gave her kisses and pets and asked about her "owie." It was so sweet to see that their natural compassion extended beyond their own species.

And yesterday our cat was attacked by two dogs when he escaped from our porch and ran into the neighbor's garden. Leela has been so worried about him, and so gentle. She waited for him to come out from under the bed, got him treats and petted his head very gently, and he let her, even though he was in pain. He is at the vet being treated, but she keeps asking about him, and its clear that she is worried and cares so much about him.

Its so beautiful to see their natural kindness and compassion <3

Leela petting Kari Image

Hanging with Pepper and Sofia

Herbie getting his 7th birthday cake!

Deb was so nice and let L feed Herbie, which may have been the highlight of L's day. We explained how to keep your hand flat and let the animal eat out of it, and she now tries to use that method to feed us :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sounds like such a wonderful day! I'm so sad we can never go on their visiting days.

So sorry to hear about your cat! :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, that super sucks about your cat! A 6-yr-old we know just got mauled by a neighbor's dog, spent awhile in the ICU, it was super scary. Dogs are unpredictable!

I wish we could have gone to FTA, too! Maybe they will have another Sunday visiting day before the fall is over.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm 
Semen Strong

Yikes Ariann! How horrifying! Dogs are unpredictable - no matter how desperately I want to argue with you that my dog could never hurt a child, I know of too many cases where an otherwise great dog has turned on a child or another animal for no apparent reason. Leela and Cuddles get along great, but I don't leave the two of them alone together - I still put him in the gated kitchen if I ever have to go upstairs or leave her alone for a few minutes. Better safe than sorry!

And JENNA, Ariann, and anyone else who may be interested - ftA has said they can do a private visiting day for us if they have even one person available.

Thanks for the good thoughts about Carlito. He seems to be okay, despite having been "chewed" rather extensively. He just needs some abx and TLC.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Well, I really hope Carlito makes a quick and uneventful recovery. I'm glad it wasn't worse and that he gets to come home soon.

I am up for a visiting day if others are! If we wanted to do a Saturday I think I could do the weekend of teachers' convention (2nd weekend in Nov I think?). Otherwise Sundays are generally more possible, but will have to check the calendar because there's a lot of blech work stuff coming up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sunday's usually work for us as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:05 pm 
Semen Strong

They are having a work party on 9/28 but other days are probably up for grabs, as they aren't on the calendar. Is there a Sunday that would work best? I can put it out to the NJ Veg Families groups too....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

9/22, 9/28, and 10/13 are the sundays I'm not working before mid-november.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Is there one that works well for you JENNA or anyone else? I can float those dates to the sanctuary and try and get a few more families, so we can have a toddlerpalooza vegan picnic :)

Leela woke up on the Monday after we got back from the sanctuary and was asking to go back again. It was supercute. She was saying "More Hoooooooooooobie! More Hooooobie!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i will keep an eye on this. we will have a week without family 9/29-10/5 and will have a car and be able to move freely like normal people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:25 pm 
Semen Strong

T, let us know if you want company for anything! We'd be up for a shore day or anything! My Dad and stepmother are visiting from 10/2 to 10/8 but the earlier days would be awesome. We miss you guys!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Awesome pictures, Tofulish! But how awful about Carlito, I am super glad he's ok.

I really really want to get D to a sanctuary - we went to Woodstock when she was just barely walking so she doesn't remember. Have been wanting to get to For the Animals for ages but sometimes I don't know about visiting days til they pass. So, if we can make our own we'd be in! The one Sunday we probably can't do is Oct 27 but I think all the weekends before that are cool.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:31 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We might want to go but we're going to be taking a zipcar out a bunch in the next month (and one of those times will be to CAS) so we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My nanny charge has started saying "thankoo" all the time - not just when she wants something or when I've physically handed her something, that's expected, but also when I wipe her face or take her out somewhere or lift her out of her cot - "thankoo, thankoo Morgyn!". She's only two! <3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 am 
And you never will.

Aw, Morgyn, that's so adorable! I love that stage.

Every morning since poopiebaby was born, I've sung "you are my sunshine" to him in the mornings as a sort of cue that it's time to get up. Since he's been sleeping in his own room, I've sung it to him after he gets up in the morning and climbs into the bed with me for morning snuggles, and just this last week he started singing it with me. Well, this morning I woke up being serenaded by poopieboy, who sang the whole song to me while lying nose-to-nose with me and caressing my face. I melted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 am 
Semen Strong

Awww! Lovely!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Inez has kind of a freaky memory - she'll randomly start talking about something that happened like nine months ago and remember all these really minute details. It tickles me because I'm the same way - my friends joke that I'm their memory. Anyway, the cute part is that she memorizes and "reads" books and will recite them even after they've been returned to the library for weeks. She was half asleep the other night and talking to herself and I realized she was telling herself a story from one of her favorite books. And it wasn't verbatim - she was translating it into Inez-ese and it just cracked me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Beet and Pillingshot (aka Raygold, but he wants to be called Pillingshot as his PPK nickname now) thanked me for making them lunch today -- out of the blue and totally unprompted! And this evening, as part of "home ec" (it totally counts as homeschooling! ;D ), we made country biscuits (my star biscuits recipe is SO easy and good gateway into baking from scratch, if I do say so myself) and used some Cars cookie cutters that my friend had sent them. While they were eating the biscuits, Pillingshot said, "Great job, Crabby Cook!"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:18 pm 

Ada wanted me to carry her when we went for a walk today and when I picked her up she was blabbering away and then said "Mommy you're my best friend!". Lately it's been "Alice you're my best friend!".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:22 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We put our cosleeper together yesterday and it is in the bedroom. When we brought Elliot up for bed he was interested in it so we told him that is where the baby will go and asked him if he knew we were having a baby soon etc. All night he was looking in there saying "baby?" It was also the first thing he did this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:03 pm 

Ada went out for breakfast with her dad and they brought me back a pumpkin cupcake and iced latte. When she walked in she made me sit down and Sao I had to eat it. Then she got a fork. I thought for sure there was another motive but she just kept saying "now you eat it mommy. Here, eat your cupcake. Just put it in your mouth and eat it." Then she opened the container and started feeding me the cupcake with a fork. I was just waiting for her to eat some but she never did. She fed me the whole thing (often shoving multiple bites in my mouth at once) and just sat there with the cutest ilittle smile. When it was done she went to the fridge and got me my iced latte and put a straw in it and said "now drink your coffee mommy." She didnt try to drink any of that either. The whole thing was too cute.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So, a couple of days ago, our nice trip to the play place turned into the afternoon from hell...refusing to nap, screaming, just awful awful awful. I was supposed to go and swim when K got home from work and of course that didn't happen and dinner wasn't ready because of the demon child and yeah...

So, about five to seven when I'm putting her to bed, thinking that at last, this day is ending, she wraps her arms around my neck and says "Mommy....love Mommy". I cried like a baby.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

"love Mommy" - how sweet!

The cutest thing happened the other day, and it wasn't so much my kid being cute (he was) as another kid being cute with my kid that really made it extra special. I think the kid was 16 months and Carlos (20 months now!) just met him at the botanical gardens. They were walking around in some grass and walked up to each other and the little kid shook Carlos' hand and then he leaned in and hugged him and put his head on him. It was so cute. Absolutely precious.

Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next