| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pregnancy Cravings
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:26 am 
Saggy Butt

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT pregnant. I was just wondering if pregnancy cravings are actually that common, as my mama had two babies and says she's never had a single craving. I figured you guys might be helpful! =]

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Cravings
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i didn't crave anything. i got hooked on peanut butter on toast, but just coz it's tasty, full of protein and the only thing my preggers brain could work out how to make when i was waking up in the middle of the night starving for a snack.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I kind of eat off cravings all the time anyway... but I will tell you that I thought of sprite and french fries way way way too much when I was pregnant.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

According to my mother -- when she was pregnant with my brother she had to have Bit O'Honey candy all the time. With me, she needed fresh fruit, especially oranges, and said she never went anywhere without an apple or orange in her purse. With my sister it was purple skittles and she was seriously averse to chicken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:03 am 
And you never will.

Oh yeah, I had 'em. The worse part of it for me was that I had serious (like, BAD) morning sickness and food aversions for the first half of my pregnancy and ended up dropping 20 pounds because of it. In that time the ONLY thing that sounded good (as in, the thought didn't make me vomit) was cheese pizza. I wasn't going to go there, so I ate nothing. That sucked.

Once food was tolerable again, I had other cravings, but nothing that I HAD to have RIGHT THEN or I would die or anything. Mostly stuff that I couldn't stop thinking about for days until I finally ate it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

For one pregnancy (I miscarried at about 12 weeks) I was all about fresh fruit - all day everyday, and I knew I had lost the pregnancy when I woke up one mornign with no fruit cravings. For another it was all mashed potatoes.
For the first it was all aversions, all of a sudden coffee, mushrooms, the smell of greasy cooking turned my stomach completely.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i have not experienced much in the way of cravings for a particular food, but i have had very strong and specific food aversions. i'm also far enough along where i can feel ravenous without any warning, and at that point i, ya know, crave food but nothing super specific.

during my last pregnancy i ate a lot of ice cream, but i was so hot and uncomfortable i wouldn't really call it a "pregnancy craving." other people would comment on how it must be a craving, and it kind of bothered me. it seemed like a pretty natural way of dealing with the fact that i was carrying around a tiny heater 24/7 in the middle of flippin' july.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've been all about citrus, and I drink way too much lemonade. I've started drinking chocolate soy milk, but that's not a craving as much as it is the only thing with protein I can keep down in the morning.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

I never had a pregnancy craving more intense than my normal cravings, and the only thing I craved was condensed tomato soup in the first trimester.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Fruit, especially grapefruit. I wanted it. I never had that urge to send my husband out in the middle of the night for something though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There are definitely things I find myself wanting (sour/tart things especially), but I haven't had any driving-to-the-store-in-my-pajamas-at-two-in-the-morning, urgent cravings.

Aversions, though, I definitely have. From the very beginning the smell of fresh dill has made me want to hurl, which is sad because it's normally one of my favorite things. And somewhere along the line I got it in my head that white country gravy is the most disgusting substance on earth. I don't think I've even eaten it since I got pregnant, but if I even see it mentioned I want to gag.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I craved fresh fruit for most of my pregnancy... especially strawberries. I used to joke that the Emperor was going to come out half-baby, half-strawberry based on my pregnancy diet.

Towards the end I ate a lot of vegan ice cream, but that was more a feeling sorry for myself thing than a true craving.

For a while, I was SO thirsty every day that I was drinking 1.5 gallons or so of water.

And I had a TON of food aversions.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I craved pretty much anything made of potatoes, mainly fries and hashbrowns, during both pregnancies (once I got through the first trimester, when I didn't feel like eating much of anything). When I was pregnant with Benjamin, I craved Taco Bell bean burritos on a nightly basis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I ate so much watermelon during my pregnancy this summer that I won't be surprised if it turns out to be one of the kid's fave foods later. I mean, bought a whole watermelon two or three times a week for all of the summer months; bought pre cut every day when whole wasn't available. I still want watermelon, but it's out of season and kind of gross now, so I'll have to move on to honeydew I guess.

Aversions: curry for the whole first trimester. So sad because I love curries of all kinds, but now that I have an outside baby I can eat all the curry I want again. Yum! Especially Thai curry...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

No specific cravings so far, just wanting things I can't get where I am at the moment. Food boredom rather than a real craving.

Aversion - during mid first trimester I hated nooch. I normally love nooch. Luckily we're friends again but it's yet something else that isn't easy to come by here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

for me, the aversions & cravings went together. i would not be interested in ANY food at all & even the notion of it would make me sick -- then suddenly i would NEED tomato paste. or whatever. most of the time, it was golden delicious apples or raspberries -- but there were a few stranger things in there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:51 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My high school biology teacher said that even though she usually hated the smell of car exhaust, she couldn't get enough of it every time she was pregnant. She also said that cravings for non-food, like paper, aren't actually all that uncommon. Has anyone had really strange cravings?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 am 
Saggy Butt

radish sandwich wrote:
She also said that cravings for non-food, like paper, aren't actually all that uncommon.

this can be pica. pregnant ladies get it more often than the general population, it's thought to be related to iron-deficiency.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I didn't have much in the way of cravings. For a while, eating meat (especially flank steak) sounded like a fabulous idea. I didn't do it, because I was pretty sure that faced with an actual piece of meat, I wouldn't be able to eat it.

More than cravings, I had food jags. I ate tomato sandwiches for a week. Then it was bagels for a week. Then it was pasta. And watermelon. I finally settled into a pattern of veggie burgers and French fries a couple times a week. Which is probably why I got absolutely massive towards the end of my pregnancy.

Westley's about to be 3, and I've had French fries exactly once since he was born. They made me so sick, I may never be able to eat another fried potato.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Can I just say that pregnancy is fascinating? Seriously!

I remember my mom craving avocado and dark chocolate with my sister. Livvie was born in the summer and I have such vivid memories of my mom being huuuge and just being sprawled out on the couch in the air conditioning with a box of chocolates.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:00 am 
Saggy Butt

When I was pregnant with my last son I had to have Nature's Path millet rice flakes with blueberries and bananas and soy milk every single day for weeks. (Sometimes more than once a day)

I wasn't even vegetarian then, though.

With my first it was grilled cheese for a while. I never eat grilled cheese but it seemed like the best food ever invented in my second trimester.

With him I was so averse to tea and coffee (which I normally love) I couldn't go down that aisle at the grocery store.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]