| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Natural baby sunblock?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm 
And you never will.

Does anyone have any favourites? It's that time of year and unless I want to be a hermit for the next six months (tempting!) I need to get some sunblock for poopiebaby. Recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Natural baby sunblock?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We use the barrier type - either Badger Balm or California Baby. They both feel and look like thick white paint, but they work. The Badger Balm is a wee bit cheaper so it gets my vote.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:05 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I can't remember exactly if it was coppertone or not, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was- Malcolm rubbed a bit in his eyes when he was a baby and he had the worst bumpy red rash down the sides of his face (like where your tears would fall). So I vote against coppertone. (I know you're not supposed to get sunscreen in your eyes, but kids rub their faces, and other brands didn't give him the horrible red eyes and rashy face. It could definitely be an individual reaction though.)
From what I've been told, the difference between SPF 30 and anything higher is non existant, because 30 blocks everything anyways. A lot of the baby stuff is SPF 45 and up, and the higher you go, the more like zinc balm it is. I find that stuff impossible to spread on baby properly.
My recommendation is buy something both of you can use (SPF 30), that spreads easily, and isn't overly smelly if Peter has sensitive skin. And a big beach umbrella!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm 
Married to the wolfman

There's a local brand (oh, California) here that we really like called BurnOut. They have a little kid specific one that I buy for the boy. I have no idea if they're available outside of here though. I know lots of people who love the California Baby too.

We are out in the sun a LOT so I try to combine sunblock with super light weight long sleeves, pants, a big floppy hat, etc, whenever possible. And of course, try to avoid going outside or stick to the shade during peak sun times... like 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., depending on where you live I guess.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:38 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks you guys! This has been super helpful! I am looking for a big floppy hat for him now, but they all seem way too big (even the ones that are supposed to be for 'infants'). Any suggestions on where to get one?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my kid had skin allergies and super light skin, so she needed sunblock but she was allergic to all of them. We ended up getting the umbrellas that you can clamp on to your beach chair, and clamping it onto the stroller instead. If we weren't moving, we'd throw a blankie over the umbrella to make it block out even more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Coco Baby sunblock is safe for babies, vegan, and protects from UV rays. It's what I use. I think it's waterproof too. Can't find it on the Internet though. :(

- just mumbles

Twitter: TheSpinachGirl
Blog:Spinach Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

Kinesis spray - used to swear by badger balm but it was hard to apply evenly ( it only works when thick and white) and sand sticks to it like glue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 pm 
Married to the wolfman

poopiebitch wrote:
Thanks you guys! This has been super helpful! I am looking for a big floppy hat for him now, but they all seem way too big (even the ones that are supposed to be for 'infants'). Any suggestions on where to get one?

Heh... we have the opposite problem. The Emperor has a HUGE head. He wears a four year old sized hat.

We've been really happy with the two Flap Happy hats he has, but I have no idea if they make them for normal head sized babies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:13 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
We've been really happy with the two Flap Happy hats he has, but I have no idea if they make them for normal head sized babies.

I've been looking for a hat for Kai too and those are really cute! I love this one:

http://www.comfykid.com/Flaphappy-main.htm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Those hats are so cute! We will definitely order one for the beach this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 am 
Married to the wolfman

We have the classic or the original or something like that. It's the one seen here:

And in countless other Emperor pictures. I'm more lax about the hat right now because we're not outside as much right now (rainy season) but I think he wore it every time we left the house for about six months straight at one point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Gah! I meant Cocoon Baby. Prolly why I couldn't find it.
http://www.enfusia.com/Prod_CocoonSunscreen.asp

That's what the bottle looks like, but I managed to buy it for nine dollars, so bad price here.

- just mumbles

Twitter: TheSpinachGirl
Blog:Spinach Girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:33 am 
So Totally Yiffy

The Environmental Working Group does lots of research into the best sunscreens each year. They have them rated by effectiveness and safety (lack of carcinogenic chemicals, etc.) I recommend checking it out. http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-b ... unscreens/
They don't have a 2011 report out yet, but most of the data should still be relevant.

We use California Baby at our house. It is a little pricey, but seems to absorb into the skin better than most of the barrier-type sunscreens I have tried. It doesn't leave us with the chalky-white pastiness that we suffered from when using the Jason Sunbrellas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This is a bit off topic but is it just me, or what is with all the navy blue infant sunhats out there? I'd think a navy blue hat in the sun would bake their brain!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:18 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

We use California Baby and Sol Kid Care. They're both pretty goopy but effective; the Kid Care is cheaper I think (we got 2-packs of each on Amazon) and I really like the way it smells so I usually reach for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:28 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I found some really cute hats last night after browsing this thread. They were on ecobabybuys.com (I forget the brand) but they were only $7 each! Zora has a giant head also so I got two different sizes in the hope that one will fit.

I'm kinda leery about putting sunblock/screen on her because of all the chemicals (I only use soap on her nether regions when we shower daily together and she's had shampoo only a handful of times- she breaks out mildly when I put anything on her face). I'm opting instead for the big floppy hat, long sleeves and pants route, since we live on a ranch in Idaho where summers are very dry and hot.

Has anyone had experience with toddler sun suits?