| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kids' shows
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

tzippy's only 13months, but she doesn't seem to be too interested in tv at all. she likes to watch stuff with me, but we only watch adult stuff, and i've started to avoid having some shows on that i wouldn't have thought twice about when she was itty bitty. now we only watch pretty innocuous stuff like the Daily Show and Modern Family and so on... nothing with sex or violence or too much swearing... just cause i don't know when i should stop watching that stuff around her and figure better sooner than later. she generally snuggles with me while we watch, and we either turn it off when she's done cuddling or she goes off and plays and i keep watching. my husband has played some sesame street and other kids videos but she really seems completely uninterested in them. we don't have a tv or netflix... everything we have is watched on our computer, so i guess we'll see if we ever get into any kids tv shows.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Right now, Rowan's all about Thomas the Tank Engine. I don't mind watching that or her other favorites: Little Bear, David the Gnome, Kai Lan & Dinosaur Train. I can stand nearly any toddler show save that infuriating Dora. I'm also pleased that her Blue's Clue's obsession has subsided.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Fun thread!!

Henry didn't watch any tv until he was two. We were pretty strict on that. Zelda has seen shows because of henry but doesn't really care. she will at most sit for about 5 minutes then goes and does something else.

I don't like most branding stuff, but I do admit it has been really fun seeing henry get "into" things and have interests. Then he likes to have things that he can use to play whatever but not necessarily a liscnesed thing. For example, henry's favorite movie is Wall-e (i love that that is is fave), he wanted to be like wall-e so he wanted something to be a cooler. his cooler is a cardboard velentines mailbox thing. i also try to find him wall-e shirts and stuff at the thirft store because it makes him excited and happy. mykids aren't allowed to watch actual tv though. no commercials or previews. house rule.

henry likes the toy story movies a lot, loves the movie UP, he loves yo gabba gabba, chuggington, rainbow brite, and care bears. I can't convince him to watch jem. :/

zelda loves yo gabba gabba books and is in LOVE with dj lance. and spiderman. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

About commercials and stuff- Silas' shows are dvr'd off of the preschool stations so no commercials at all. Just moose singing songs and stuff. Shae watches dvr'd stuff too so no commercials there either. Yay for dvd. He's not much into tv though, a documentary here, a soccer game there, he does love community and parks & rec.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

coldandsleepy wrote:
I'm neither for or against some tv for kids... I watched a shiitake ton of television as a kid and I don't think it actually had a noticeably bad impact on me. But what I AM really glad that we miss out on through the Emperor's lack of tv watching is branding/character recognition. I don't know why, but since I had him, the way things are marketed to kids via characters, etc, gives me Extreme Parent Rage.

This is true. I was a major couch potato (still am) but had friends, other interests, etc.

Aubade wrote:
Now, we've already bought Kai his first keyboard for toddlers (it was on sale). I can't believe I let my husband get that, but I know it is inevitable so.... *sigh*

I got Livi her own mouse. She loves it. SIGH.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

So ever since I found out in the censor books thread that Thomas is a sad train, I've been hoping to find another. That's because I hae train tracks literally right outside my backyard fence, and Kai seems really interested in the train every time it goes by. Well, I found one! Choo Choo Soul! I haven't actually seen the show, but just heard some songs on Pandora and just watched a bunch of the videos on youtube. I loooove it! Great music and the ridiculously happy bboy conductor is hilarious! Has anybody seen the show? Is it good?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Aubade, that looks fantastic.

I am really enjoying Ni Hao, Kai-Lan. I have learned some chinese from it myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:03 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aubade wrote:
So ever since I found out in the censor books thread that Thomas is a sad train, I've been hoping to find another. That's because I hae train tracks literally right outside my backyard fence, and Kai seems really interested in the train every time it goes by.

Oh man, the Emperor would be so jealous. He is SO in to trains right now. We don't watch Thomas because it freaks me the hell out. (Creepy trains with creepy faces! Creeeeeepy!)

The Emperor is really into the movie Our Neighbor Totoro right now. He would happily watch it every day... all 90 minutes of it. But mostly I just let him watch it while I'm making dinner. It's really funny because I can hear him narrating it from the other room. That's still really the only thing he watches other than the occasional video on youTube. (And we haven't done much of that lately, because he is SO into Totoro that that's mostly what he wants.)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:01 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Aubade wrote:
So ever since I found out in the censor books thread that Thomas is a sad train, I've been hoping to find another. That's because I hae train tracks literally right outside my backyard fence, and Kai seems really interested in the train every time it goes by. Well, I found one! Choo Choo Soul! I haven't actually seen the show, but just heard some songs on Pandora and just watched a bunch of the videos on youtube. I loooove it! Great music and the ridiculously happy bboy conductor is hilarious! Has anybody seen the show? Is it good?

I remember my son watching that a few years ago, I think it was on disney? For toys, geo trax look pretty cool, my son was obsessed with thomas and I wish we would have gone with geo trax because they look more fun.
Right now they like toot and puddle-they travel, the upside down show, and yo gabba gabba-I hear my 2 year old sing "keep trying keep trying..." when she's trying something new haha. The 5 year old is obsessed with star wars clone wars.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My little one is into Franklin right now, but she'll watch a little Thomas and some Sesame Street too. Thank goodness those days of umpteen zillion Blue's Clue's episodes are gone.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:54 am 
ol' garly cooch

keen_on_quinoa wrote:
Thanks appi and Sra. Nooch! At least I know I'm not alone.

you are NOT alone. i married someone who works in TV, so tv watching is not only in our routine, but i believe it is part of the molica family genetic coding. i'm not proud of it either. it is what it is. i wouldn't eat hot food otherwise.

now that it is nice outside, we do a ton more out in the yard and garden. however every night when i'm doing the clean up routine, the kids watch diego, some sort of science/animal show on netflix, or old superman cartoons. fini goes apeshit over diego. blasto pretty much likes everything, and that disgusts me. i'm personally a fan of yo-gabba-gabba. i love that mark mothersbaugh does the music/art direction for the show and they usually have cool music on each episode. plus i do the dancy-dance/funny face stuff with the kids.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

henry is super duper into chuggington. thank goodness because i hate thomas. the shows are cute and the diecast trains are fun. the tracks are waaaaaaay better than thomas tracks.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:23 am 

Megan My Dear wrote:
henry is super duper into chuggington. thank goodness because i hate thomas. the shows are cute and the diecast trains are fun. the tracks are waaaaaaay better than thomas tracks.

I hadn't heard of this one - just checked it out online now. It does look cute, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 am 
Married to the wolfman

I grow weary of Totoro, but we have fallen into the routine of him watching about 30 minutes of something while I get dinner together, so I've been looking through the streaming stuff on Netflix for something he might like. Busytown Mysteries is a hit so far, and there are 52 (!!) 2-part episodes online so I'm hoping that'll hold us for a while...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:34 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

CAS, we got really into podcasts like StoryNory and some radio stories, I thought they would be better than encouraging the TV zombie thing to which Sprog is prone. if you go to itunes and do a search for "old time radio" type stuff you might find some interesting things too (given that my rugrat was a bit older than yours, it might not yet be appropriate, but StoryNory is great for younguns too, and usually about 30" long, and there are GAZILLIONS to choose from.)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What channel/network is Franklin on? I had no idea there was a show!

The munchkins I nanny for...one was TV-free (except for glimpses when sis was watching maybe) until about 2 (the other's a bit TV obsessed, imo) A few months ago, she and I started watching some together in the morning, primarily while I brush her hair (very matty/knotted in the mornings..what does she do at night? :p). Peppa Pig was the favorite for ages but I think she's growing out of it a bit (3y9m). She loves Dora, but it's not my favorite, as it's quite long and there's a lot of just ridiculousness/super cuteness. Overall though, it passes my test. :D She likes a variety of the shows on cBeebies (BBC for kids)...Something Special, Come Outside, Waybuloo and Zingzillas. The last two though, I've been neglecting to include in our options and they're quite gender biased (girls all wear pink and purple and flowery skirts, etc.).

The marketing kills me. There are magazines in every store here and you could have a whole child's life done in Peppa/George if you wanted. Baby G's mom has to ration her character clothes, toys, etc. While the shows she likes (Dora, Peppa and Little Kingdom) are pretty good story-wise, many of the tie-ins are horribly sexist. One of the dolls we saw at a shop one day said (I'm not making this up) "I'm very good at looking pretty." Gag me. Baby G's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but she's also a fantastic drawer of people, insanely good at conversations with strangers, builds all sorts of complex structures, climbs trees, swims like a fish....much more than a pretty face.

<<<gets a little worked up thinking about that stupid doll again :D

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what are some good shows for 3 year olds?
BabyPunk has stopped napping regularly so by the end of the day im pretty much exhausted because she constantly wants my attention.
sometimes i can tell her to go play with her toys while i cook dinner but sometimes she's only good for awhile and then she loses it.
she will sit and watch the Pixar Cars movie pretty much anytime i put it on but it's a 2 hour movie and she wont just watch a piece of it.

the only thing i dont want her watching is anything with any violence whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My 2.5 yo niece is obsessed Lion Guard. It's all about Simba and Nala's kids. It's pretty cute!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:24 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Dinosaur Train is a favorite around here...I know it's pretty accessible online and via PBS kids...I do get the theme song stuck in my head though

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:58 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

She would love Dinosaur Train. A train that goes through all the different dinosaur time periods. There are lots of songs about dinosaurs.

Jonah likes that, Paw Patrol, and Caillou. I think all the shows for really little kids are good about avoiding violence.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:34 pm 

I think most of them mentioned in this thread are still good. At first I didn't even realize this was from 2011, so weird to see my old posts! My son was sick this week so we watched a lot. He still likes bubble guppies, peppa pig, word world and Thomas. Definitely not as much as he used to, but a little. I miss the days of pingu. That show was so cute but he never watches it anymore. A new one is tumble leaf- Amazon original if you have prime. I also like the Amazon original Creative Galaxy about a space alien kid who does crafts.

The older kid shows he watches now are all Cartoon Network- like Clarence (awesome!), teen titans, we bare bears, and the newest is the loud house.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:14 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the weird thing about Dinosaur Train is apparently my mom lets her watch it when she baby sits her sometimes despite the fact that my husband and i have always been anti screen time. i came home from work earlier than usual one day and they were watching it and she says they usually watch just one episode if she's there.

so you would think DIno Train would be like tailor made for BP right? dinos and stuff? she has never once said a word to me about it or asked to watch it. my mom claims she never told her not to tell me or anything. though on the other hand she also doesnt ask to watch the Cars movie ever i use it as something i can sit her in front of her in extreme circumstances so maybe she just doesnt ask for tv.

this child literally never sleeps so if she's not going to nap anymore i need something to amuse her by the end of the day.

yesterday we were up by 7:30 am, got ready and ate breakfast, etc. drove into boston which is about 45 minutes to an hour, we went to the Museum of Science to see the dinosaurs (which was a big hit), stayed there for several hours, left and it took us over an hour to get home for various reasons and i ASSUMED she would nap because she still will nap on days when we are really busy and she gets tired by mid afternoon but NOPE. the entire way home she is jabbering away in the back with her dinos having a grand ol time. by the time we got home it was too late for nap time so she was up for the rest of the afternoon and didnt go to bed til like 9:30. AHHHHHHHHH

thanks for all the recommendations. i dont think she's going to nap today either. apparently this nap thing is all done. WAHHHH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We watch nothing but Curious George here. Phineas is obsessed with that little monkey.

As a side note, it's interesting to me that the PBS shows now focus on science/math concepts for the most part instead of learning letters/numbers like they did when I was young. I wonder if it will make a difference in kids' science and math achievement.