| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: High heels for Toddlers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:11 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

j-dub wrote:
heathenmama wrote:
I think use of the word inappropriate is bound to hurt some feelings. I'd just tell her she couldn't/wouldn't wear the shoes but that you found some others to go with the beautiful dress.

But if the OP believes it to be inappropriate I think that should be communicated. It could be a great learning moment for the grandparents. Or it could be a time when they get defensive and have their feelings hurt. It's up to them how to take it, and I don't think the responsibility falls upon the OP to be less than truthful to protect their feelings when doing something that's pretty messed up.

I'm all for open, honest communication for sure. I guess when it comes to gifts or attempts at acts of kindness though, I tend to err on the side of excessive politeness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:42 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

iloveheeze wrote:
The shoes in question are these in white:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?Gr ... 0733|71831

I called my mom last night and thanked her for the dress and told her that Noelle wouldn't go near the shoes, so I couldn't tell if they fit. She felt bad and promised to send me the gift receipt. I said something along the lines of "she won't wear anything with a slidey bottom/heel" and "I can't get her to wear anything but sneakers", both of which are true statements.

I'm more pissed that they actually make shoes like this. I feel like the heel is much higher in person than in the photos. I should probably measure it to peas myself off more.

good enough - well done!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You handled that really well, Heeze. And yeah, those shoes should not exist!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:33 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

What was hilarious was the reaction the woman had when I went to return them. She asked me how old Noelle was and I told her that she was only 20 months and she shook her head and said, "Now my 10 year old would be all over these, and I would have a tough time getting them for her being only 10...and they're making them for babies?!?"

I am so glad she was outraged too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Those are awful! I honestly cannot imagine who thinks it's okay to even MAKE those shoes? Oh, wait, Tom Cruise's kid wears heels so they must be okay. I think what gets me if is you think about a 1.5" heel in relation to a 2 foot person or a 4-5 inch foot, that's massively high! People just look and think that it's only an inch or two without putting it into perspective. Or else they don't care.

I do think you handled it well, much better than I would have. I would have almost certainly resorted to "what the fork were you thinking?" and threw in something off color.