Post subject: Too big for stroller
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm 
Grandfathered In

http://toobigforstroller.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: Too big for stroller
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

wow.

on a related note, i recently read somewhere that they were going to require children to be in a car seat until they are 10! has anyone else heard this? am i crazy for thinking this is crazy? 10! that is 5th grade!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

They're just getting rides like this for free as long as they can ha! Jokes on you mom and dad, keep pushing!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/carseat2011.htm

Re the new recommendations - waiting to be 4'9" would have put my husband around the 7th grade. Good times getting dropped off at junior high in your car seat!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

In NY I think the age for a booster seat is 8. This is all based on me being an Aunt to a 9 year old who just recently stopped using her booster seat after she turned 9 in Dec.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When we were in Disney a few weeks ago, I swear more than half of the strollers were for kids 5 & up. Insanity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm 
Grandfathered In

Well, a booster isn't exactly a car seat. I mean, it's not like the whole bucket thing you sit in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I wasn't 4'9" until I was about 14.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:19 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

Those are insane requirements. One of my adult friends is 4'10". I also know that I could wear a seatbelt properly before I was 4'9", which was probably around 12 or 13, so I have no idea why they picked that height.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to have adjustable shoulder harnesses in the back seat of the car? My front seat belts go down and I have to put it at the lowest setting not to be choked (i'm 5'3). My husband has to raise it all the way (he's 6'). Maybe something like that should exist in the backseat?

Though I guess if it's look like a dork or possibly suffer greater harm in a car wreck, the choice is obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That tumblr is silly (I especially loved the girl in the stroller reading the large novel) but I can understand having my giant kid in a stroller. I feel like sometimes I will have a choice between being a shut-in and embarrassing myself with my giant cranky-from-being-tired kid in tiny stroller. I grew up in the country so I am not sure how urban parents handle all of the inputs they have and still have kids that are behaved. (ETA: not to mention all of the extra people around to judge their personal parenting decisions)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I still carry R in a wrap or ring sling, usually on my back, for stuff like hikes and grocery store trips. He's about 26lbs and 31" tall, so it's starting to look prettttty silly--his feet dangle at my waist now. I have strangers in public telling me he's "too big for that" all. the. time., but you can't always walk the dog in the woods for 45 minutes or zip into the store for a few things when moving at toddler pace.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 am 
Married to the wolfman

equus wrote:
I still carry R in a wrap or ring sling, usually on my back, for stuff like hikes and grocery store trips. He's about 26lbs and 31" tall, so it's starting to look prettttty silly--his feet dangle at my waist now. I have strangers in public telling me he's "too big for that" all. the. time., but you can't always walk the dog in the woods for 45 minutes or zip into the store for a few things when moving at toddler pace.

I still carry the Emperor (who is 31.5 lbs and 33.5 inches tall, at 18 months) on my back in his Ergo all the time, and random people have started telling me this so frequently... "he's too big for that! you need a stroller!" ... that now I actually tell them no, he's not getting too big. I'm still comfortable and he's still comfortable.

But then I see like six year olds in strollers all the time, and that does give me pause.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

yeah I also want to look at the big-kid-in-stroller thing in a posi way, like maybe they were at some really awesome all-day parade/street party for like 8 hours and the kid walked and ran around most of the day but then was tired and got in the stroller. But yeah, probably I am being too optimistic ha.

also, I'm still carrying Dahlia (she's around 27 lbs 32inches I think) because if you have an awesome carrier you are comfy with and gives you back support, wearing your kid is the way to go here...I am amazed at people with kids in strollers on the subway because my god that seems like a pain in the asparagus! There ain't too many working elevators in the NYC subway system,and many stations have none at all. It's entirely possible that people see me wearing her and roll their eyes etc, but no one has dared say a thing to me (ugh except like my mom etc), and once or twice a fellow mom has asked stuff like "Is that comfortable?" or said "she looks like she likes it". And man she does love it, she gets visibly excited when I pick up the carrier; I'm getting to be a real pro after a shaky start, got my practice doin' stuff like stirring risotto for 30minutes with her on my back haha.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

This reminds me of one of my favorite books as a kid, Pig Pig Grows Up!
Pig Pig is too big for his stroller, but he doesn't want to leave it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:41 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Audrey wrote:
I am amazed at people with kids in strollers on the subway because my god that seems like a pain in the asparagus! There ain't too many working elevators in the NYC subway system,and many stations have none at all.

Yes! When I lived in NYC, I was always shocked to see so many people with strollers instead of wearing their babies! Not just because it seems horrible in the subway system, but in general, when navigating NYC streets/stores/etc, anything that makes me take up more space on the ground makes life difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

on the car seat issue, the fact is, fit is a big component of safety when it comes to cars. if you don't fit the seat or seat belt properly, then you will not be adequately protected in a crash. the regular seats in cars are created for an "average" sized person, so unfortunately, a short or light person is not going to fit properly. if you are sitting upright with your back against the seat, your knees should bend easily over the edge of the seat, the belt should sit on your hips (not your abdomen!) and the shoulder strap should not hit your neck or arm. another part of seat belt safety is the maturity to sit correctly in the seat throughout the trip.

an even bigger issue than overall size and shape is skeletal stability. a prepubescent child doesn't have the same skeletal structure of an adult of the same size and build. that's why it's so important to keep babies and toddlers facing rear, so an impact doesn't put the same pressure on their spinal chords.

obviously, as an adult you can make the decision not to use a booster to correctly position yourself, but that doesn't mean it's the safest option. for kids though, under a certain age, it really is a good idea to have some kind of law or official guideline available to help parents make the safest decisions.

car seat safety commercial over!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I always side eye people whose able bodied toddlers are in strollers in the mall. Maybe on a walk through the forest or in a 'we gotta get there and get out' kind of situation that's fine, but 6 year olds in strollers in the mall when the parents are just having a leisurely wander around kind of bugs me, especially when you read articles about the rising rate of child hood obesity and things like ADD / ADHD.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:05 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

In partial defense of some of those kids, there could be other reasons. For instance, when I was around 5 a cat decided the back of my knee needed removing and that resulted in quite a bit of time in a stroller.

Edited to add that quite clearly some of that is just serious laziness on somebody's part.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've let the 6-year-old I care for ride in the stroller once or twice (and gotten a lot of dirty looks for it) and I'm not sorry. He was tired and grumpy after school, his little brother (who the stroller was for) wanted to walk, both get plenty of exercise, and we got home quickly and with no complaints. I see no problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:57 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeah, that blog rubs me the wrong way. I'm just guessing that whoever is posting those has never had kids or had to take care of kids. Just forked up to put kids out there on the net and call them names.
I had a huge child, now 7, still big, he was never fat, just big, like he looked a lot older than he was, tall, etc, and so although he looked like he was 5, he was 2 and really, a stroller was the only option. I just hate shiitake like that that makes parents feel like they have to justify themselves to total strangers.
Sorry, rant over.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:13 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

It's pretty invasive to photograph kids and put them on the internet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Morgyn wrote:
He was tired and grumpy after school, his little brother (who the stroller was for) wanted to walk

This was actually my first thought when seeing the tumblr. I remember plenty of times from my childhood when a stroller was meant for a younger sibling but somehow the younger one wanted to play grownup and the older one wanted to play baby that day. Also, my mom would often take an empty stroller if she needed to carry stuff around (school bags, groceries) because it's easier on the back to put it in/under the stroller, especially if one of the kids decides after 20 minutes that they don't want to walk after all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

interesting

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

While I agree that the blog is a wee too invasive (at least block out the kids eyes or something, jeez), and I also agree that some of them might be in a stroller for reasons that aren't obvious (or because they're having silly fun), I've seen some parents in my time as a preschool teacher who are just freakin' slaves to their children and push them around in strollers because the kid doesn't feel like walking. One parent HATED pushing her kid around (he was five, and a moose, but totally able-bodied and capable of walking with our class for fairly long periods of time), but she couldn't stand the tantrums, so she did it, and was miserable. I actually feel bad for those parents; during conferences I'd find out that they were so afraid of screwing up their kid by saying 'no' or setting boundaries and expectations that they'd give up all control to the kids. I think parents are so over-scrutinized that they just don't know which end is up sometimes.