| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do about other peoples kids?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So we're at a state park with our friends and their son. Since the moment we showed up, these 2 small kids (3 & 5 ish) keep just appearing, following us around, just staring at us. Most of the time they won't even respond to us. It got overboard after 3-4 hours of near constant, and they started taking toys, throwing rocks, squishing themselves in between us and our own kids so we couldn't continue what we were playing... And it was pitch dark. Their parents stayed at their campsite the entire time, just through the woods but out of site. No attempts to say hi, check on their kids, nothing. Basically I've been parenting them all night. Finally I just sent them back to their parents and told them it was too dark for them to be over here. It's strange because the kids aren't trying to play with ours. They mostly are just staring at us adults. It would be different if they just wanted kids to play with. I feel bad for them, but also, it's annoying! What would you guys do? I guess if it keeps up tomorrow I'll have to talk to the parents. Sigh.

Post subject: Re: What to do about other peoples kids?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:03 pm 
Grandfathered In

Other people's kids are problematic (except for all of yours, of course).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:00 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I would just be blunt and say "We're trying to play together. Can you place someplace else or go back to your parents until we're done?".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:55 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ask if they're ok. Do they need anything? Maybe they're hungry? Maybe the parents are super drunk?And then walk them to their parents and let their parents know that their children were around. See if the parents are ok/healthy?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, what the heck is up with the parents? That's very strange.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

heart.revolution wrote:
I would just be blunt and say "We're trying to play together. Can you place someplace else or go back to your parents until we're done?".

This. Although it's odd that they weren't responding to you at all for a while... weird.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

I just goofed: instead of sending a text to Mrs. Face complaining about GG's friend picking his nose and eating it and making me sick, I sent the text to the kid's father.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, the parents were within our eyesight but through sparse woods. They seemed fine, just hanging about. The kids wandered in and out with food a few times so that wasn't an issue. We really think the parents were just glad to have a break. No matter where their kids were or who they were with. Ha.

I guess when I told them it was too dark and sent them home last night, it worked. They left us alone most of the day today. They came over a few times, and each time I asked if their parents knew where they were and eventually they scurried back. Still no intro or anything from the parents. Just so weird.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Weird... i figured as a parent you may want to at least come say hi/meet the people your kids are spending time with you know ensure they are cultist or serial killers...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm trying to remember if my parents ever said hello to the parents of kids we played with while camping. I don't think so. My parents aren't super outgoing---they left us kids to find our own friends. (But while not out-going, they didn't assume that most adults w/kids were dangerous; they figured we were safe so long as we were kind of in ear-shot.)

Um, FootFace, seriously?! Did you just try and laugh it off with him? Ack!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:13 am 
Grandfathered In

Crantastic wrote:
Um, FootFace, seriously?! Did you just try and laugh it off with him? Ack!

I told him I was just venting and we should forget I said anything. He texted back that it really grossed him out too!

But it could have been so much worse! I often complain about this kid and his twin brother to Mrs. Face.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I so thought that was a joke, FF!! Whoops!

As for the camping thing- and the other people's kids thing- I am usually so surprised/pissed about other parents who seem to think it's fine to fob kids off on other parents. Our old neighbors used to do it, I'd hear her say (at 8AM on Sunday) "i'm trying to sleep. Go see if Sprog is awake and play over there." And her kid is BAD. Like I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself or others bad, so he's not allowed on my property anymore. Sorry, play in the street.
Anyway, the parents think it's just normal, and I'm the weirdo. What is up with us responsible parents? We're so odd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

When I was a kid there was one friend in our circle who would call people up on, say, a saturday morning and ask to come over. Her parents, of course, would pick her up hours later than arranged and my parents were stuck figuring out whether to feed her dinner or what.

At the time, I just thought it was obnoxious; it wasn't until years later that I realized her parents probably just wanted babysitting without the effort/expense of finding a sitter, and probably had each of their kids call around until someone said yes (which after a couple times we all stopped doing). ARGH.

Have also experienced the remora kids at campgrounds. What's up with that? It seems to happen particularly when camping, either when I was a kid or even now as adults without kids. I guess they just get bored with their own families and there aren't the usual protective walls between me and the outside world. Usually they interact with us, though, not just stare.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The staring got really disturbing! We were super friendly and chatted, offering toys, showing them what the other kids were playing, etc. But they just mostly stared. Sometimes a little while later they'd take a toy, run to the other side of the tent alone and play. (one at a time, not together). Our kids would have loved to play with them, but they weren't into it. Oh and we found out at the end that the boy was 2 1/2! Silas' age. He was taller than my friend's 4 year old. He was the one there alone in the dark so much the first night. This is kind of amazing to me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

well, the age makes his behavior more understandable. my father in laws neighbor's son was/is huge for his age (13 now looks like a grown man), at 3 we thought he was at least in 2nd grade and couldn't figure out why he wouldn't talk to us, and why he always spilled drinks on himself. It took about 4 or 5 meetings for his parents to mention his age, and we all felt silly once we learned it. Still, odd that the parents didn't check on you/them.