| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

For a whole day Giles takes around 28 oz of breast milk - I think he is a little on the low end of the spectrum though. So I guess it depends on what time of day your have your procedure and how much you get to feed him before hand! Sounds like not so much fun :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annasrobbie wrote:
For a whole day Giles takes around 28 oz of breast milk - I think he is a little on the low end of the spectrum though. So I guess it depends on what time of day your have your procedure and how much you get to feed him before hand! Sounds like not so much fun :(

Thanks. That's good to know. I think it will be a pretty rough day (mostly for Zeph and my partner!), but at least it's only one day. Sounds like I need to build up a better stash of milk though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

bodhi wrote:
annasrobbie wrote:

Thanks. That's good to know. I think it will be a pretty rough day (mostly for Zeph and my partner!), but at least it's only one day. Sounds like I need to build up a better stash of milk though.

if kimba's around, you should ask her about them not wanting you to breastfeed for the rest of the day as well as asking an LC, if you can get your hands on one. the motherisk website will have info too. it's really pretty rare for meds to be contraindicated, and i've had medical professionals not familiar with breastfeeding tell me something isn't safe, and then had my midwife or pediatrician assure me it's fine.

of course, you might still want a stash of milk to give yourself a break that day, but it might not be as much as you think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
bodhi wrote:
annasrobbie wrote:

if kimba's around, you should ask her about them not wanting you to breastfeed for the rest of the day as well as asking an LC, if you can get your hands on one. the motherisk website will have info too. it's really pretty rare for meds to be contraindicated, and i've had medical professionals not familiar with breastfeeding tell me something isn't safe, and then had my midwife or pediatrician assure me it's fine.

of course, you might still want a stash of milk to give yourself a break that day, but it might not be as much as you think.

Yes, I was waiting to talk to my dentist again. There's a good chance I won't need to have so much - I checked a few different sources. I just have to find out which particular medication they use. I've been finding that diazepam has a long half-life and would not be ideal, but there's another (triazolam or something like that?) with a short half-life, and I'd be okay to feed not long after. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

here are my first couple of bf questions.

after Charlotte was born she was smacking her tongue around and the nurse at that moment decided to have us use a nipple shield.
we're actually making awesome progress moving away from the nipple shield after just like a couple days but im wondering how long it's ok to use the one we got in the hospital.
usually depending on how hungry/angry she is we try without it first and if she's real pissed off sometimes she cant like nurse without it and just flails around so i use it. we've probably used it for every feeding since she was born at least a little bit. i rinse it out after each feeding.

then my main question is how much discomfort is normal at the beginning?
i know i read that pain can be a sign of a bad latch but i feel like some discomfort at the very beginning must be normal since ive never used these for this purpose before!

when she latches on she has like a ferocious tug and it sometimes can be super uncomfortable especially without the nipple shield. enough to make me wince and go "AHH!"
she was only born friday night so im not sure if this is still normal right now. the actual tugging of feeding can be uncomfortable.

so far no cracks or sores or any real actual nipple problems though i can tell they are starting to get dry!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The LC who did our home visit after the birth told me that it's normal to have a toe-curling, painful sensation for 10 seconds or so after latch on -- if it's painful the whole time while nursing, that's indicative of a latch issue, but some pain just at latch on or let-down is pretty normal. Mine went away after a week or so?

Sorry I don't have any experience with nipple shields!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Dude, my nipples were SO sore for the first 3 weeks of nursing, I walked around with my boobs hanging out of the top of my nursing tank (it had a built-in bra (majamas brand, but an American friend of mine says Target have good nursing tanks, too)). It hurt for the first minute or two whenever Beetroot latched on, then it was okay. Lansinoh was nice for soothing my aching nipples and keeping them from getting dry, although it's lanolin from sheep's wool, so totally not vegan (call the vegan police on me!).

I don't really know anything about nipple shields, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am 
And you never will.

Yes yes yes. Those toe-curling painful sensations at first latch-on (and the burning sensation at let-down) is pretty normal, but as mandycoot said, if you're having pain the entire time it might be a bad latch. It took a few weeks for my nipples to stop being sore and bright red, but poopiebaby was pretty much a 24/7 nurser.

Target *does* have great nursing tanks, and Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter is vegan and super-wonderful. I don't have any insight as to the nipple shield, but I'm sure someone with experience will be able to help you! You're doing GREAT :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm probably biased since I had such a terrible experience with nipple shields, but I think it's wise to be VERY careful with them. I think inexperienced healthcare professionals hand them out without proper warnings (a rather inexperienced nurse gave me a nipple shield when I complained about H's latch and didn't say that there were any downsides to using one). The fantastic LC who I saw after getting out of the hospital said that she ONLY recommends nipple shields for moms who have a big supply because they can really reduce the amount of milk your baby gets, and it can make latch issues worse since latching onto a nipple shield is so different than latching on directly to the breast. I'm really glad to hear that you're already learning to move away from the nipple shield!

And yes, I think it's normal to have pain upon latching, but if it hurts the whole time, that's definitely not a good sign. I hated rubbing creams or ointments on my breasts, so I really liked using those gel pads in my bras (the Ameda ComfortGel ones are my favorite since you can use them for a full 6 days). When things got bad, I'd put them in the fridge while I nursed, and then they'd be nice and cool on my tender nipples. I'd rub breastmilk all over my nipple and areola when baby finished nursing, let the skin dry, and then put the gel pads on with my bra or nursing tank. I think rubbing milk on everything helped keep my skin in good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ooh! Yes!! Gel pads! I got some as a gift (haven't seen them around these parts, alas, because mine died) "Soothies" they were called -- and they were so great after being in the refrigerator for a while. Ahhhh....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks! im glad to know that it's normal and might not be the bad latch issue.
i have the brest friend pillow and so far it's so great, especially after several days of stupidly trying to nurse in a stoopid hospital bed. (that was a train wreck) so i think she is positioned well (of course im not actually sure)

for such a tiny baby she has such a ferocious desire to nurse sometimes and will flail her head around angrily and then dive bomb my boob. it's pretty hysterical then it also hurts :-P

i have something called Bag Balm which i bought pregan and it's basically lanolin so i slapped some of that on today but then my husband remembered the bf class we went to the lc said that coconut oil is really great for sore nipples so i think im gonna use that from now on.

we're definitely trying to transition away from the nipple shield and so far it's going well but sometimes she;s either so tired she doesnt want to put in the effort or she;s so fired up she is too frustrated!

the gel pads sound good i will have to look into those. i swear i looked in Target several times for nursing tanks and bras and could not find anything. is it in the maternity section or the underwear section???? maybe i just suck at looking!

i just my first "terrible mommy" nursing experience.

it went to nurse her since it was time and she nursed a little but kind of fought it and then seemed done with the whole thing so i gave her to my husband to do some daddy skin to skin time in our sunroom because she is a teeny bit jaundiced and she wouldnt settle down there either and was flailing around and he kept saying he thought she was rooting but she kind of keeps doing it after she nurses anyways and then we realized she had a wet diaper and changed her and he was like "i really think she's still hungry" so i tried nursing her again and we just had the most epic nursing sesh ever. like she nursed FOREVER after i basically thought she was done.
we started the whole thing at 11:40 and with the first nursing sesh, diaper change, and quick attempt at skin to skin plus second nursing sesh we didnt finish til 12:45 :-O

at least now she has a full tummy :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

hey, did they say anything about why she's so small? i can't remember how many weeks you were.

just wondering because i do think smaller babies are going to have a slightly poorer latch and cause mom more pain than a bigger one. their mouths are smaller, their tongues are bigger (proportionally) and they might also have a little less energy to finish a feed.

the difference between nursing tzipi (5.5 lbs) and lydia (8.5 lbs) was immense. my nipple actually FIT in her mouth. so much more comfortable!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We used a nursing shield and it was a total PITA. I used the same one for weeks, but sterilized it in between. We used it because I was in so much pain from thrush that I couldn't nurse otherwise, but I really recommend not using one if you can avoid it and cutting it out as quickly as you can. See another LC if you can to work on latch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending lots of good thought LP! I had heard from the two LCs we worked with along with all our other birth professionals that it "only hurts if the baby isn't latched properly." And it turned out she had a fantastic latch, but it still hurt like heck - for me it was worst during the let-down. I think your nipples are just getting used to it for about 4 to 8 weeks, but once they do its so much easier. And yes to getting a good IBCLC to come by and help you if you have issues. I do feel like hospital LCs are often just RNs who did a course and aren't full IBCLCs and they have so many people to see that they recommend nipple shields more than necessary.

Here are the Gillian & O'Malley Target Nursing Tanks we got. You can just have them delivered to your door - I think mine came in about 3 days. http://www.target.com/p/gilligan-omalle ... A-13793418 This one is a pretty plum and its my fave: http://www.target.com/p/gilligan-o-mall ... detaillink

I pretty much wear them every day and they have held up very well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The nursing tanks at my target are in the underwear section with the nursing bras. I own 3 and wish I had more because I have worn them every single day since giles was born pretty much. They are holding up to all that washing pretty well I would say! Those soothies sound so nice - I froze some newborn diapers and slapped them on my chest occ...but certainly one is not presentable for company with diapers stuffed down their nursing tanks.
Those first few weeks of nursing were so hard with the pain and frustration and sleep deprivation, but it sounds like you guys are really doing well! I am rooting for the mamapunk/babypunk nursing team!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I used a shield for a few weeks, and always felt guilty about it... But I tried to remind myself it was better to be breast feeding with a shield than not at all. I would agree to keep in touch with a LC while using it. They will (should) continue to provide suggestions on weaning from it. My favorite LC always says "it's like training wheels. Some kids get it right away, others need a little more time."

A few things I remember about it...
1. Start the feeding with it, then after a minute or two, try to continue without.
2. Some nurses suggest an "insurance" pump after using it, because the breast can't be as effectively drained with it. (I never had this problem, but it's something to keep in mind)
3. Will just stopped needing it out if the blue one day, so keep trying and you'll both get the hang of it.
4. My dog wanted that thing more than anything else in the house. We made more than one frantic Target run because if that.... So it doesn't hurt to keep a spare in the house. I rinsed with warm water in between feedings and hot soapy water every few hours, then boiled every other day or so.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

littlebird wrote:
hey, did they say anything about why she's so small? i can't remember how many weeks you were.

just wondering because i do think smaller babies are going to have a slightly poorer latch and cause mom more pain than a bigger one. their mouths are smaller, their tongues are bigger (proportionally) and they might also have a little less energy to finish a feed.

the difference between nursing tzipi (5.5 lbs) and lydia (8.5 lbs) was immense. my nipple actually FIT in her mouth. so much more comfortable!

no one really ever said anything specific to me about her size and terms of the "why" she was so mini but i have some theories ranging from genetics (my maternal grandmother had all tiny babies, and also the women on my dad's side are all really petite) to me and my husband being not ginormous people (my husband is ginormously tall but also rail thin, i was super duper thin until i was put on anti depressants), and just a shitty pregnancy. i barely ate at all during pregnancy because it made me feel so ill and my regular OB kept saying that was probably why i didnt gain a lot of weight.

some of the nurses at the hopistal asked if any of the many OBs i saw there said if the preeclampsia had anything to do with her small size but no one ever said anything and since i had no signs of it until 4ish days before she was born i dont think it had much to do with it.

she was only 6 days early and was one ounce less than her 38 week estimated weight via u/s.
i agree about the not fitting the whole nipple in her mouth. i was feeding her and i was like "oh shiitake i think the entire areola is supposed to be in her mouth, how the fork am i gonna do that?!?!?!"

we have our first pedi appt wednesday. the hospital was all up in our faces like YOU NEED TO GET HER TO THE PEDI MONDAY OR TUESDAY BECAUSE SHE IS SO SMALL. but overall in general i felt the post partum nurses were terrible and just there to make me feel like shiitake (the labor and delivery nurses however were the absolute most amazing human beings on the entire face of the planet and i met 1000 of them in my time there. they were so amazing i really want to right a thank you card to the hospital and i wrote down the names of a couple that were super duper DUPER awesome). they basically came in every once in awhile to grill me and then tell me my baby looked hungry as if i was totally starving her and just lying around eating bon bons.

origianlly our pedi appt was for friday but they called back and said the dr wanted to see her sooner (i had mentioned on the phone that the hospital said to get her in quickly because of her size) so we are going wednesday.
im so not worried because she is such a feisty little punker and a ferocious attempter at nursing, and im so over the whole forced maternal guilt crepe. im so sorry world that i didnt have a 10 lbs baby but it wasnt on purpose!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ah, yes, genetics would explain it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

yeah Lisa try not to even think about the size thing. I had 2 small ones too (ironically the one that was a week early was 6oz bigger than the one that was almost 3 weeks late) and was totally freaked about it the first time - they pulled the whole "YOU MUST GET HER TO THE DR ASAP" and made me feel like she might not make it if I didn't. I don't think genetics had much to do with my situation, as my mom had 5 large babies, and my partner's family are all tall people.
good for you for not playing into any bullshiitake about this!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the funny thing is that all immediate family members (me, my bro, husband and his 3 sibs) were all 8 lbs + except my husband's sister who was 7 lbs.
but the generation before that seems to have been small.
who knows!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was going to say everything kdub said about the shield! And yes, ditch it sooner rather than later if you can because nursing will eventually be so much freaking easier without it. You may have heard this, but try squeezing the boob near the aureola like you would hold a sandwich, except thumb on top, rest of fingers on the bottom of the boob. It seemed totally counterintuitive to me, but it really helped Charlie latch on when we were weaning from the shield.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good luck LisaPunk. I hope everything is going as well as it can for the first few days home. I too had a lot of pain and our latch was good.

The most helpful thing for me with breastfeeding was seeing a lactation consultant. Lots of them around here have support groups where you can go (for like $20) and the LC will weigh the baby before and after, confirm your latch, help with the shield, etc. it's so much cheaper than having one come to your house.

The nurses and LC at the hospital where I delivered were not really helpful (especially in hindsight), but the private one I worked with was so reasuring. Also, I was pumping a lot so I found comfort on the ppk! Everyone here was helpful when the nipple pain was at its worst.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

This baby had a serious anti-left boob agenda!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Heh. Freya likes the right too. How's it going today?

Thought I'd post a funny from today. F's been really unwell (vax reaction) and hasn't been nursing much all weekend/yesterday. Today, she's finally back into the swing of this, it seems. In the afternoon, we laid down together for a nap. She woke up after about an hour and then nursed back to sleep, which is pretty common. She woke up the 2nd time and nursed and went to sleep again (not usual) for like 10 or 15 minutes. She woke up frantically signing "milk" and nursed *again* for just a couple of minutes and then pulls off and clearly says "damn!". Okay, then. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahhh ppk save me!!!
this is just a vent session. i actually think everything is going pretty damn normal but im definitely struggling.

my milk came in and my boobs just hurt. one of my boobs is twice the size of Charlotte's tiny lil head.
ive been trying to ween her off the nipple shield and during the day it seems to go pretty well because i am more awake and more patient but she fights it. she flails around making every hunger sign in the book but wont latch on. it takes quite awhile of fighting and then usually finally she will latch and stay there. but in the meantime she latches and unlatches a bunch of times which always HURTS.
at night i usually end up using the shield because im too tired to put in the effort.

then she is using her legs to kick me in the opposite boob which hurts like hell because my boobs are so engorged and her toenails need to be trimmed and my nipples are so tender. i had to start holding her football hold so she would stop kicking me in the boob.
she also scratches me with her sharp little nails while she's flailing around (obviously nail trimming is on the agenda today)
she likes to smush her arms in front of her face so i need a good 4-5 hands really to feed her. one to hold her body or head and one for my boob, one to keep one hand out of the way and another to keep the other out of the way :-P

she's so tiny really just the nipple fits in her mouth.
sometimes i give up and use the nipple shield and then im mad at myself :-P

our nursing sessions take a good hour each time because of all this. it's like she really wants to eat but once we get to it she's like "oh i just want to flail around and squirm!"

i got a small hand pump yesterday and pumped about an ounce out of each boob so they dont feel like rocks anymore. she doesnt like nursing on my left boob for reasons i havent figured out. im hoping that boob was just a bit behind sched because i had a really hard time in the hospital with that side. between not being left handed and having IV stuff sticking out of it i ended up nursing her mainly on the right side when we were in the hospital.

beyond all my boob issues my butt hurts and sitting in one spot for a long period of time is super uncomfortable.
i seem to have intermittant constipation so sometimes sitting down hurts like hell because i feel like i have to poop really bad and once i finally get a chance to go to the bathroom nothing comes out!!!!
my hips ache and my back aches.

and i just feel 10000% drained and weak.
i dont think i have been eating well at all and i told my husband today that was our top priority was for both of us to start eating well again because i feel like such shiitake. im so weak i cant take the damn car seat out of the car because i cant squeeze the lever hard enough to detach it. HAHAHAHA that's really sad!

also we always end up, both of us, just covered in milk at the end of each session. once she nurses good for awhile and starts to finish she just gets a little messy and it drips down her face. when she kicks me in the boob some will come out. i noticed at our last session she made a crying noise and milk just squirted out of my opposite boob. my husband and i almost died laughing. ive heard about the crying baby/leaky boob connection but this was literally a squirt!

thank god my husband is so great. he loves to hold her and just pay attention to her so when im done feeding her i can just hand her over for cleanup, burping, and swaddling.
i swear she also poops like 2-3 times during a feeding too! it's such a long involved process!

anywho. like i said i know this is all normal stuff (at least i think it is!) and it will get better i just needed to vent.
today's top priority is good nutrition for the grown ups.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 116  Next