| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

DS, could it be period related? It's not common but some people have a big supply drop-off during menstruation. Anyway, best of luck with the weaning and with transitioning back to a ship in general. We've been struggling as a family being back on a boat and it's just my husband going to sea!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:04 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

kdub wrote:
dragonssister wrote:
I have been trying to have Lorelei weaned by 12 months for the Navy and it has almost completely diminished my supply and I have had to feed her about 50% formula. I only got 3 oz the entire day at work yesterday pumping, and that was 3 sessions. I am trying to get it back up a bit but it is really hard. It has been a disaster at home the past couple of nights because she has basically protested taking a bottle from me altogether (I never had that problem before!) and only wants to nurse even though I have nothing left for her after only a couple minutes on each side. I was not ready for my supply to drop so drastically. I was getting a pretty good amount just a few weeks ago pumping at work. I started eating more yesterday and getting more water in, I hope it helps. I have been trying to lose weight and have been restricting my calorie intake to about 1,800 and I feel like my supply dropped the most when I was trying to diet. How do all these moms lose weight while breastfeeding? As soon as I eat less, and it's not even drastically less, my milk supply freaking plummets.

Gah, this is so hard.

I just wanted to say that the LC in my moms group always says that nursing isn't always about milk. Even if there is not a lot for her to nurse, she may just be enjoying the close comfort to mom. If she's content while nursing, maybe that's all she wants.
That being said, hope you find a way to meet both of your goals!

I totally agree with nursing not always being about food. It can often be just for comfort.

For my own nursing saga, I realized today that I am going to have to supplement with formula. I just cannot physically keep up with A.'s needs when I'm at work. I am so saddened by this and have never had to supplement with my other kids, but I realize that this is best for her and that I've done good just to make it to 8 months! I'm still going to pump at work and nurse at home and on weekends. It'll probably only be one bottle or two of forumla a day. So, now I have to figure out what formula.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Good luck MomMeTrois! I think 8 months is great! Especially if you are still able to give her breastmilk regularly. I hope you find a formula you like. Is she eating solids well? I guess at 8 months they don't make up that much of the diet. I dunno, we are only at 6 months and he isn't eating much, though more than I thought he would.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

MomMeTrois wrote:

I totally agree with nursing not always being about food. It can often be just for comfort.

For my own nursing saga, I realized today that I am going to have to supplement with formula. I just cannot physically keep up with A.'s needs when I'm at work. I am so saddened by this and have never had to supplement with my other kids, but I realize that this is best for her and that I've done good just to make it to 8 months! I'm still going to pump at work and nurse at home and on weekends. It'll probably only be one bottle or two of forumla a day. So, now I have to figure out what formula.

You have done an amazing job nursing for 8 months! Don't feel bad about this! Having said that, I know how you feel. I'm off for the summer, but when I go back to work in September I'm not going to be able to pump often enough for her needs and I'm trying to make peace with that. Rationally it makes sense to me that supplementing a bottle or two daily is not a terrible thing ( she will be nine months) but i do wish I was swimming in extra milk and didn't have to do that. Then again, I'm encouraged by the solids helping a lot.

She's lucky to have a mom like you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So, I'm radioactive today (had to have a urea breath test) and have to pump and dump while feeding expressed milk. I'm in total awe of mamas who pump and bottle feed, or just bottle feed formula. It is way, way harder to not have the boob to fall back on!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:21 pm 
Semen Strong

Grrrr arrrrrgh. This new tooth is setting off a new round of nipplebiting. She falls asleep on the boob and then clamps down, and since she now has 4 teeth (plus the front incisor coming through) my nip ends up between her teeth. I wake up screaming from the pain, but it doesn't even wake her. So then I have to delatch her which either wakes her or makes her come looking for the nip in her sleep again or else she blessedly just drift off. If the first two options happen, I need to nurse her back down and pray for option 3....

Getting a nipple bite is my least favorite part of BFing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I guess I got rid of my breast pump from when my first one was little, because I wasn't planning on having more kids. Then I changed my mind, and we had another. And somehow, I have the box for my old pump, but I definitely got rid of the pump/bottles. Fortunately, I'm not going back to work any time soon - it's more so my partner can feed the little guy on occasion. But now I have to buy a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:57 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So we were doing so well on just nursing right before bed. But then we had a horrible heat wave last week, coupled with the fact that Ezra has started this habit of napping in the last afternoon and sleeping through dinner, I was starting to worry about dehydration and him not getting enough nutrients. So for three days I nursed him a bit more (maybe 3x/day). And then we went to a potluck hosted by our midwives, and he got to see a lot of babies nursing on demand... he got this devil of a look in his eyes, grinned up at me, poked me in the boob, and said, "Me too! Me too!"
So now of course he wants milk 24/7. It's not bugging me as much as it used to. There's no whining or clinging to me this time. It's more of a game now. If I sneak back into the bedroom while the boys are still sleeping after taking a shower, he'll sit straight up and yell, "I see big milk!" And he's started bargaining. "I want mama milk right now. Don't want it at bedtime!" (Do you think Future Ezra remembers this conversation at said bedtime? Of course not.)
So the last two days I've been nursing right before I leave for work and then at bedtime. I think a little while ago I would've seen this as a regression, but I'm really ok with it. He's being sweet and not being a dick about it, so I guess it's ok for now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:23 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

hugs tofulish we have been going through the biting too. It was so bad a month ago I thought about stopping breastfeeding a lot. He still does it but I think now that he is not teething at the moment and he is used to having both top and bottom teeth things are getting a bit better. I still scream out once in a while when he slips in his sleep and trys to grab on real quick and bites me unexpectidly. I know he doesn't mean it but I found myself getting mad at him when he would do it a lot and I needed to hand him to my partner a lot. It caused a lot of tension between us too because my partner thought I was just being too idealistic in continuing to breastfeed though all the pain and biting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:36 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

You guys are right about nursing for comfort and not just to eat.

I have a sinus infection, I read Benedryl can reduce milk supply. Does anyone know anything I can do? I used my neti pot last night but I don't think it really helped. I also used my humidifier all night last night because it hurt pretty bad. I'm going to see a doctor today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I've mentioned it before, but the Emperor went through about 2 months of all biting all the time at around 7 months and I was really seriously thinking of weaning when he just stopped being bitey again. It is really that horrible and I am thinking good thoughts for everyone out there getting bitten lately!

The Magician is teething again and now he has started biting as well. Yay. Just once or twice a day but that's bad enough. One of my nipples is visibly chapped now. Oy.

Also kinda panicking because my classes start soon and I've been on vacation which has sent my pumping schedule straight to hell and aaaaaaaagh.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:59 pm 
Semen Strong

DS, have you seen an MD? I had a sinus infection and my MD put me on amoxicillin clavulanate for 10 days. No impact on BFing and completely safe for Leela. Since Benadryl is an antihistamine, I wouldn't think it would be effective for an infection (but I'm not a doctor).

I hate being so afraid of being bitten that I flinch when she goes to nurse. She only bites when she falls asleep so if I can stay awake, I can generally extract the nip before it gets nipped. I'm sure this will resolve once new tooth number 5 is through!

C&S, how are you managing with Magician sprouting 10 teeth in record time?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

kimba wrote:
Annasrobbie, I also like the bamboobies. And at the beginning I was so sensitive that I wore lillypadz in the shower, but the water knocked them off, so I used a shower hug and it was wonderful. I still use it under my bath robe.

Both those products look great Kimba - thanks! Giles has been wanting to feed nearly every hour today and so I am starting to feel a little sore again...I guess he is having a growth spurt. He feels like he weighs a TON to me. I was hoping to start out with a nice 7 lb baby and slowly build up my upper body strength. We have had some comical moments with me trying unsuccessfully to rise from couch with him in my arms (so I guess I need to work on lower body strength too!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

We're dealing with biting too, or rather scraping (cringe). Why didn't I think to correct the ripping-off motion that baby likes to do before he had teeth??? Tonight I am going out to a rare dinner with friends after work and I'm a little relieved that he'll get the bottle at bedtime and I can have a few more hours to heal. Thank goodness the pump doesn't also hit the sore spots. Sigh. He only has the 2 bottom ones for now so we have a long way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:44 am 
Semen Strong

So sorry Darjeeling. If it is any consolation, Leela did most of her on-purpose biting when her first two bottom ones were coming out, like she was trying to negotiate having teeth. Now its pretty much just accidental when she falls asleep. It seems to be at the very start of teething only (hopefully).

We did the "ouch" and removed off the boob, and that worked for us...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 am 
Married to the wolfman

Teeth 9 & 10 are taking forever to break through the gum. I will be so relieved when they're through.

The Magician is still totally refusing a bottle, which is a problem as I am starting grad classes in 10 days. We're going to try only bottle feeding him from about 5pm-10pm this week. I will try giving him the bottle first, maybe he'll take it if it's from me/I'm nearby. We might also try me nursing him a little and then switching over to the bottle.

Cup feeding seems like a recipe for disaster as there will be a grabby 3 year old (not to mention the grabby 6 month old) running around during all of this.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

darjeeling wrote:
We're dealing with biting too, or rather scraping (cringe). Why didn't I think to correct the ripping-off motion that baby likes to do before he had teeth??? Tonight I am going out to a rare dinner with friends after work and I'm a little relieved that he'll get the bottle at bedtime and I can have a few more hours to heal. Thank goodness the pump doesn't also hit the sore spots. Sigh. He only has the 2 bottom ones for now so we have a long way to go.

Giles does the "ripping-off" thing too near the end of his feeds...how would one go about "correcting" this behavior - I think I will learn from you and try to get it taken care of before any teeth arrive!!!'

And in other news I cannot beleive that my 4 week old weighs over 12 lbs and is having to move into 3-6 months clothes already - this breastmilk is like Miracle Grow for babies!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I feel like breastfeeding hormones are making my preexisting insomnia worse than it's ever been. Scarlett has been sleeping for 4-5 hours the first part of the night, and I know I would feel amazing if I slept that long with her, but I just lie there awake, furious that I can't sleep. I've tried every suggestion in the past and the only thing that allowed me to sleep before I got pregnant was drugs. Of course I anticipated that getting off the sleeping pills would be a problem, but for some reason while I was pregnant my sleep wasn't that bad. I will happily try anything anyone suggests, even if the old insomniac in me would have laughed at it before I got pregnant!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:10 am 
Semen Strong

Oh yikes moo, so sorry. Do antihistamines help you at all? I had XYZal and it put me out like whoa. And it doesn't interfere with breastfeeding.

What helped me most though was having my husband take the baby and just being able to sleep alone in bed for a few hours.

I hope you get some sleep soon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I second what Tofulish said about having the husband take the baby. If I know I am responsible for listening for him and getting up I just don't sleep well at all. But if I know Daddy has him (or will have him if he cries) then I am able to sleep much better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Ugh all kinds of problems here. My supply plummeted and I started supplementing with formula which went okay for a couple of weeks. However, she suddenly started refusing formula bottles altogether a couple of weeks ago and my supply has not fully recovered. Last night she was up screaming for close to 2 hours and there was nothing I could do about it. I had NO milk to give her because she would not accept anything except my own breast milk. I kept switching her from side to side hoping she would eventually get enough. I wound up bringing her to bed with me, nursing was the only thing that kept her calm enough to sleep.

I decided I was going to go to a ship in Whidbey Island which would mean I would have to wean her at 12 months which is the decision which led me not to stress about supplementing with formula because I needed my supply to go down anyway. Now we are seriously considering cancelling my orders and getting out of the Navy so this has really thrown me for a loop (milk-making wise).

She has 2 teeth about to poke through on top and she has been biting too, it actually drew blood on my left nipple a few days ago and I don't know what to do about it. It is so scary the way she opens her mouth to feed it's like she's baring her little fangs.

So tired.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm 
Naked Under Apron

wow I'm so disheartened - just had our 3 month dr visit and Sierra is not gaining well at all.

I've kinda felt in my heart of hearts that she hasn't been getting enough breastmilk because of some seemingly trivial stuff - the only clothes she can wear are still specifically teeny Newborn size and she definitely is much fussier than Dahlia ever was. (I try not to compare them but I kinda can't help it.) And last night she was latching on and off CONSTANTLY from midnight to 8am. (Ha you can imagine how emotional I am right now, in exhaustion state + being told I'm not providing adequate nourishment. Ooof.)
Anyway, the dr immediately said "you need to supplement" and when I questioned him further he said if I could produce enough milk to pump as well as breastfeed, fine, otherwise I need to use formula. Judging by the fact that I can only get 2oz max when I pump, pretty sure it's gonna be formula very soon. Which makes me feel like "why even bother struggling? why not just give up?" Hmmmph. I'm gonna order some of that MoreMilk tincture but I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

More milk + goats rue really helped me. Sorry you are going through this :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

thanks littlebear.
I take back what I said about "why bother", that was just frustrated/immature ol' me being silly. I was having a bit of a pity party because man, I've really tried..this whole bringing Sierra to work thing was specifically because I was afraid of not having a good supply and that ended up happening anway. Eh obviously I'll do the best I can. But I'm kicking myself for letting my little baby be hungry all this time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:46 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Please don't beat yourself up! It's not your fault. It's good that you know now. I hope things will improve soon for you and Sierra.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 115  Next